Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: meagre, modest, decent?  (Read 10693 times)

ronnietucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
meagre, modest, decent?
« on: May 07, 2022, 10:26:44 am »

Hi!

Is there a list of what a place needs to qualify as meagre, modest, decent, etc.?

Thanks!
Ronnie

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
Re: meagre, modest, decent?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2022, 12:03:40 pm »

The levels of room quality is determined by how expensive the things inside it are in total, and how large it is, as far as I know.

A room with only a bed is considered a "meagre quarters". If you add a chest and a cabinet onto that, then it can become a " modest quarters". And if you smooth the walls and the surface, and added more stuff in, it becomes better.

There isn't a concrete list.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2022, 01:40:29 pm »

The wiki has a table of value per quality level.
I'm not entirely sure how architectural value (i.e. size/smoothing/engraving) is calculated. Probably uses the material's base value (so for most stone, 3 dwarfbucks/tile), multiplied if it's smoothed (by how much?) and engraved (based on the quality* of the engraving - though again, not sure by how much)

*and also the content: dwarves don't like images of trees and plants as much as other things

A room with only a bed is considered a "meagre quarters". If you add a chest and a cabinet onto that, then it can become a " modest quarters".
Not necessarily. Not all beds are alike! If you have a bed worth 10,000 dwarfbucks (like an artifact) even a 1x1 cell will be a "royal bedroom."
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2022, 06:29:06 pm »

For easy value, always smooth and engrave everything important.  For almost as easy value, look for appropriately sized rooms where the walls are of incredibly high value, like iron ore or gemstones, then also smooth and engrave.  Also unbroken wall seems to work better, so a room with no doors is more valuable (use stairways to get between a stack of rooms).  You might want to make exceptions for really high quality or artifact doors.  But they had best be really high value to make up for the huge hit to the entire room's value for reasons explained in more detail to here but suffice it to say it's !!!SCIENCE!!!

The final thing is literally just loading the room with expensive stuff, like if you have an artifact version of required furniture build it into the room.  Or even the crude but effective method of building display cases in the room and loading them with hoity toity stuff.  Been wanting an excuse to use that aluminum artifact grate?  It doesn't even need to go anywhere.

When you designate a room especially of a dwarf you might see become a noble, you might want to make it bigger than you would for a peon, or if they already are a noble, bigger still, because if they get a promotion they'll want more than you can fit in a tiny room.

Some rooms are fairly time-consuming to put together, like meeting the collection of demands a monarch has, which is why you should probably have the rooms engraved already, but maybe lay off on the furniture until you know what they like.  And again, spare no effort finding high value wall materials.  Stuff like hematite is top notch, as is aluminum, but even less valuable ores are still more valuable than junk stone.  If you're in the ridiculous scenario of having a bunch of adamantine and some of it is obviously unsafe to mine, it makes a fantastic wall material.

In any event, when you need a particular level, just keep trying these things in combination until you hit it.

Another thing I don't usually do but if you really need to and can't make the room bigger is to deconstruct the walls and replace them with constructed walls of high value material and engrave them.  Be careful about destroying walls with masterwork engravings, though, it upsets the creator.  This is better done before engraving as a result.  Constructed walls and floors with engravings on them can also reclaim otherwise doomed-to-be-meager sand floor rooms.

RLS0812

• Bay Watcher
  • ~ Cancels Everything ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2022, 07:39:14 pm »

Most dwarves will be very very happy to live in a 5x5 assigned bedroom, smoothed + engraved ( before placing furniture ) with bed, cabinet, armor rack, weapons stand, 2 chests or coffers, 1 table + 1 throne ( for privet dining room or office ), and a good door.
 For extra "value", a pedestal displaying a master quality item generates a LOT of good thoughts from the room's owner.

This may seem a bit extreme, but it's worth it to avoid tantruming dwarves.

You can cheat the system a bit when first starting a fortress by putting a bunch of beds in a row, and creating 1X1 tile bedrooms out of each one ( make sure to assign each bed ). It's a decent temporary solution until better rooms are constructed.
Have you experienced the joys of a dwarven tantrum chain yet ?

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2022, 08:05:16 pm »

I should actually put a huge caveat to digging out and constructing walls in that they have to be hugely valuable.  It's usually a bad idea.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2022, 02:18:18 am »

Most people in this thread have sort of neglected to mention that there are two quality grading systems.

> Real (as in actual value)

> Perspective (what the dwarf thinks)

The quality of a room can be greatly exaggerated if the items inside or displayed within it correlate to things they like, mundanely this can include objects & material textures. If a dwarf has a great admiration for perfect gems & a common metal such as silver, a special piece of a silver perfect can be procured from the metal-forge to be put on display and it'll greatly improve the value even if the real value isn't a lot when you inspect the area in the 'Rooms' screen.

To further prove the point, since rooms can be shared by spouses, and assigned to other dwarves (via things like elected mayors needing a office with specific recommendations of windows) their shared opinions of the space can differ. Therefore i recommend making high quality shared family suites for couples with one furniture item beside the bed per dwarf, and small personalized bachelor pads that can be no smaller than 1x5 for one piece of furniture each (chest, cabinet, bed, door, display stand)
« Last Edit: June 01, 2022, 02:20:24 am by FantasticDorf »