Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 61459 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #750 on: July 06, 2023, 01:52:04 pm »

Without looking at the spoilers I imagine 2 birds and the nipple for a baby’s bottle and a plumbing nipple.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: July 06, 2023, 02:35:17 pm »

Twitter has threatened to sue Meta over its new Threads app, the news outlet Semafor reported on Thursday.

In a letter to CEO Mark Zuckerberg published by Semafor, a lawyer for Twitter said the company “has serious concerns that Meta Platforms (Meta) has engaged in systematic, willful and unlawful misappropriation of Twitter’s trade secrets and other intellectual property”.

*grabs popcorn*
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Magmacube_tr

• Bay Watcher
  • Praise KeK! For He is The Key and The Gate!
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: July 06, 2023, 02:37:42 pm »

Yeaaaaaa twatter is dying!

I don't exactly know why I want it gone. But I think it boils down to the primal appeal of "big thing go KABOOM".

And I really wanna see the twatter refugees destroy Reddit, even though they will probably go to Tumblr.
I must submerge myself in MAGMAAAAAAAAA! daily for 17 cents, which I detest. I also geld memes.

My gaem. JOIN NAOW!!!

My sigtext. Read if you dare!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: July 06, 2023, 03:06:29 pm »

Spoiler: Bazookas (click to show/hide)

(Either to continue that particular side-thread, or to symbolise the now open conflict between short-messaging-format platforms.)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: July 06, 2023, 03:41:31 pm »

I'm not really sure why I find Twitter's demise so funny either, but I think it's just refreshing to see someone with Elon Musk's ego get taken down a peg by his own entirely preventable actions.  There's a certain appeal to seeing status quo get shaken up too.  So much of the internet has consolidated in these giant platforms that seeing one go up in flames is a bit refreshing and a reminder that we won't be stuck with them forever.  What follows may not be better, but there's at least a chance.

I guess it also helps that I've never used Twitter, so I've literally lost nothing.

I feel bad for Twitter's employees though.  I'm sure many have found other employment by now, but Musk essentially kicked in the door and lit everything on fire for a lot of people.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: July 06, 2023, 04:41:32 pm »

I guess it also helps that I've never used Twitter, so I've literally lost nothing.
Eh... if you have much appreciation for artwork, you're probably in the process of losing things. If there's one actually bad thing about twitter repeatedly shanking itself in the dick, it's that unfortunately a lot of modern professional creative work has been reliant on it for networking and business (commissions, etc.), and its problems are causing them problems.

I've yet to see an artist or other sort of creator happy about that reliance, and basically all of them have been trying to diversify for years, but the flat fact is that the numbers they need (access, visibility for stuff like job applications or whatev', and so on) has been on Twitter and nothing else has it. This shit's hurting them and going to hurt them worse, through no particular fault of their own, and that sucks pretty hard.

There's apparently other fields with a similar issue, for that matter. It may be something of an object lesson about the potential problems with that kind of reliance, but, well... the actual creators involved don't really have enough weight to make a difference on that front. They kinda' have to go where the relevant people are, and twitter's been where that is. The object lesson to be learned is sometimes life's just gon' fuck you and everything you love regardless of what you do, which isn't exactly a helpful lesson.

... the NSFW commentary's particularly relevant, though. Twitter was one of the very few major platforms that still allowed even a modicum of NSFW content, and it going in the shitter is apparently hitting NSFW artists and various sex workers/performers and whatnot particularly hard, which is unfortunate on a pile of levels.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: July 06, 2023, 05:19:39 pm »

Twitter is also crucial for OSINT journalism and a very useful tool for organizing protests against oppressive governments.

Being happy that Twitter is dying when much more nasty (in every measurable way) facebook\meta is feeling fine is... not very wise.

But yes, this slo-mo trainwreck is entertaining to watch.

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: July 06, 2023, 07:49:23 pm »

That seems very several-years ago.  Facebook is full of extremist groups, I'm sure it works fine for good causes too.  Twitter is too full of open bigotry and disinformation to be a useful organizing platform anymore.  It was, kinda, now it isn't.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: July 06, 2023, 08:38:25 pm »

Pretty sure the anti-authoritarian anarchists have moved onto Discord to organize their protests.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: July 06, 2023, 09:41:37 pm »

Telegram also. Honestly the artists can find or make a different platform, idc honestly.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: July 07, 2023, 01:11:41 am »

Telegram's a singulaily bad idea
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: July 07, 2023, 01:51:22 am »

Moving to a different platform is not a trivial thing for content creators It makes you lose followers\subscribers. So just abandoning Twitter would not be that easy for artists, OSINT journalists, and other creators even if there were no other reasons why Twitter is better than other social networks for them.

KittyTac

• Bay Watcher
  • Impending Catsplosion. [PREFSTRING:aloofness]
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: July 07, 2023, 02:02:02 am »

Telegram's a singulaily bad idea
Yeah it's clunky and I don't use it, I'm saying that rebels use it more than Discord, which only low IQ rebels do. Come on, it's good as a messenger and media discussion app, but if you're doing anything shady it's not secure enough for that. Telegram is at least encrypted.

Moving to a different platform is not a trivial thing for content creators It makes you lose followers\subscribers. So just abandoning Twitter would not be that easy for artists, OSINT journalists, and other creators even if there were no other reasons why Twitter is better than other social networks for them.
Twitter is gonna fully collapse soon so they will have to do it. On a platform they wouldn't be indirectly supporting Musk. In the long run it's a benefit as their sub count will recover and Musk will be permanently humiliated.
Don't trust this toaster that much, it could be a villain in disguise.
Mostly phone-posting, sorry for any typos or autocorrect hijinks.

muldrake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: July 07, 2023, 03:08:58 am »

I hope you are right. I hate twatter and I want to see it gone.
He says what we're all thinking!

(Okay well me at least.)
Twitter is also crucial for OSINT journalism and a very useful tool for organizing protests against oppressive governments.

Being happy that Twitter is dying when much more nasty (in every measurable way) facebook\meta is feeling fine is... not very wise.

But yes, this slo-mo trainwreck is entertaining to watch.
It hasn't been that for a long time.  Now, and even before Elon, it just rolls over for oppressive regimes.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2023, 03:11:15 am by muldrake »

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: July 07, 2023, 04:46:50 am »

I'd be even happier if all the social media shit heaps died, but I'll just be glad that one is dying.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 69