Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 69266 times)

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)
« Reply #1140 on: March 26, 2022, 12:54:26 am »

I tried to read up on this. It was confusing.

There is the Orthodox Church of Ukraine, whose leader resides in Kiev.
And there is the Ukrainian Orthodox church, which is a branch of the Russian orthodox church.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: March 26, 2022, 01:08:25 am »

Is the Russian Orthodox Church different from the Ukrainian one? Cause when my family went to church again after not going in several months, our priest quite clearly condemned it.

I don’t think he’s a Russian puppet.

It isn't black and white (and one more reason why going for any kind of ban is a questionable decision) even in the actual Russian Orthodox Church there is some internal dissent.

I don't even doubt that many low-ranked priests of the Ukrainian branch of the Russian church are patriots of Ukraine and good people. But the leadership is nothing but FSB's department and there are many agents among low-rank priesthood
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: March 26, 2022, 02:18:33 am »

Didn't the Orthodox Church break ties with the Russian Orthodox Church (and/or visa versa) as part of the war?

Also, apparently the Ukrainian Orthodox Church split from the Russian Orthodox Church.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: March 26, 2022, 03:15:55 am »

They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: March 26, 2022, 05:14:23 am »

Didn't the Orthodox Church break ties with the Russian Orthodox Church (and/or visa versa) as part of the war?

Also, apparently the Ukrainian Orthodox Church split from the Russian Orthodox Church.

The only thing I heard like that was about the Dutch branch of the Russorthodox church breaking off and joining the Ukrorthodox one here on bay12.
Love, scriver~

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: March 26, 2022, 05:21:34 am »

The patriarch of the Ukrainian branch of the orthodox church openly denounced Kirill, thus officially breaking the ties with the Russian orthodox church.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: March 26, 2022, 04:26:48 pm »

Ukrainian parliament reports that the nuclear research reactor of the Charkiv technical university has been fired at. Damages are unknown at the moment.

EDIT: long, but very worthwile read about Putin
https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/26/world/europe/vladimir-putin-russia.html
« Last Edit: March 26, 2022, 07:59:59 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: March 26, 2022, 08:49:25 pm »

And evidently one member of the duma is making chatter about expanding this failed operation into the "let's just actually start WWIII now I guess" phase, if this claim is correct.

Origin of that is evidently a member of the opposition party which seems...sus. :v
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Quarque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: March 26, 2022, 09:06:18 pm »

I agree so much with the guy in this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4czYxGYxo&t=145s

Peace talks are the only way out for both Ukraine and probably the only way that the human species can survive. Too many people are tossing around ideas like "no-fly zone", or "peacekeeping troops" as it if was anything less than asking for a nuclear holocaust.

I cringed at Zelensky repeatedly asking for a NATO-enforced no-fly zone. It simply would leave him with nothing left to fight for.

I cringed harder when Poland came up with the bright idea of a "peacekeeping mission".

I cringed even harder at American politicians with their knee-jerk reaction of "regime change". Biden literally said "this man cannot remain in power", thanks god he at least denied meaning it that way at second thought. Hillary Clinton said the war should be prolonged to force Putin out of power. Lindsey Graham tweeted "take this guy out".

If Russian people actually revolt, good on them. But for Americans to keep pushing for it betrays a deep arrogance, the idea that they are the ones who decide about these matters. And how did it turn out when they forced "regime change" in countries to date? Disaster every time - a period of chaos, usually followed by an even more oppressive regime than the one that was replaced. Iraq. Iran. Afghanistan. Syria. Libya. Now let's try this with the worlds biggest nuclear power, led by a deeply paranoid dictator. What if we back him into a corner until he steps down or.. some other thing happens. What could possibly go wrong?

If Americans keep pushing for this idea with Russia instead of pleading for peace like a sane person, current best estimates say we're dead -- Ukrainians, Russians, everyone. That's the short version. In more detail: the sky would go dark for some 10 years, making food production grind to a halt everywhere. The survivors of the ensuing chaos would be toasted in the following years, because the ozone layer would be destroyed too.

Quote from: Carl Sagan
The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: March 26, 2022, 09:19:41 pm »

This is damn foolish. We're already past the point where there was any hope for a sane outcome.

We're at the point where the fact that we CAN'T stop this in any meaningful manner is setting a precedent that is just as dangerous as nuclear war. It's adding one more example to the growing pile of "hey look, a nuclear country can just roll over a non-nuclear one and no one's gonna actually stop them no matter what extremes they resort to" which we do not need more of. That's going to further undermine any confidence in the UN, in sanctions, hope that there's any actual way to stop a country that decides to just do what it wants except

If Ukraine caves in any meaningful way before Russia gives in, then it demonstrates a failure of what may be the harshest sanctions a country has been hit with. Which is bad, because that's basically our only option that isn't risking WWIII.

We will see a new era of nuclear proliferation, as no sane country is going to want to be a non-nuclear country if the world is going to just let a nuclear country bully a non-nuclear one with impunity, not if we see every measure short of actual military intervention fail to actually stop this.

And you'd out of your damn mind to think Russia is going to stop with Ukraine. They've already make overt noises at having no interest in that,and if they actually get anything meaningful out of this war it will tell them they can do exactly that. A NATO country is almost certainly next, and that's either going to immediately provoke WWIII, or else the international organizations that the world has spent decades piecing together to prevent war will slowly be proven utterly worthless.

Put simply, it's already out of basically everyone's hands at this point. Bad shit is going to go down at this rate. The only outcomes likely to end positively require Russia to cut its losses and accept that a loss, with or without Putin being ousted. Otherwise, we either brush with WWIII now, keep waiting until another line is crossed that forces WWIII on us later, or we see a new era of militarism, imperialism, nuclear proliferation, and more.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: March 26, 2022, 09:49:34 pm »

Peace talks are the only way out for both Ukraine and probably the only way that the human species can survive. Too many people are tossing around ideas like "no-fly zone", or "peacekeeping troops" as it if was anything less than asking for a nuclear holocaust.

Bullshit. Ukraine won't survive any peace talks. At best it will give a few years before the next Russian attack and then we'll see the next round "Well, we can't stop Russians because nuclear holocaust so..."

Then, after Ukraine will fall same will repeat for Poland, then Germany... To the point when the world will finally start to defend itself against Russia

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: March 26, 2022, 10:03:11 pm »

Basically that. This is kinda that situation where the intuitions that allow for a non-WWIII resolution to situations like this are being stress-tested. Either it holds or things are going to get much worse, one way or another, but if it gets to the point where that stress-testing is necessary then things have already gone wrong in some way.
On DF Wiki · On DFFD

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: March 26, 2022, 10:57:29 pm »

I agree so much with the guy in this interview: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=su4czYxGYxo&t=145s

I cringed at Zelensky repeatedly asking for a NATO-enforced no-fly zone. It simply would leave him with nothing left to fight for.

I cringed harder when Poland came up with the bright idea of a "peacekeeping mission".

I cringed even harder at American politicians with their knee-jerk reaction of "regime change". Biden literally said "this man cannot remain in power", thanks god he at least denied meaning it that way at second thought. Hillary Clinton said the war should be prolonged to force Putin out of power. Lindsey Graham tweeted "take this guy out".

If Russian people actually revolt, good on them. But for Americans to keep pushing for it betrays a deep arrogance, the idea that they are the ones who decide about these matters. And how did it turn out when they forced "regime change" in countries to date? Disaster every time - a period of chaos, usually followed by an even more oppressive regime than the one that was replaced. Iraq. Iran. Afghanistan. Syria. Libya. Now let's try this with the worlds biggest nuclear power, led by a deeply paranoid dictator. What if we back him into a corner until he steps down or.. some other thing happens. What could possibly go wrong?

If Americans keep pushing for this idea with Russia instead of pleading for peace like a sane person, current best estimates say we're dead -- Ukrainians, Russians, everyone. That's the short version. In more detail: the sky would go dark for some 10 years, making food production grind to a halt everywhere. The survivors of the ensuing chaos would be toasted in the following years, because the ozone layer would be destroyed too.

Quote from: Carl Sagan
The nuclear arms race is like two sworn enemies standing waist deep in gasoline, one with three matches, the other with five.

Don't worry.  Everyone you mentioned is lying in one way or other.  Like, maybe stop believing everything that Politicans say?

President Zelensky is using an age-old negotiating tactic called "Ask for MORE than you want".  Poor Zelensky never gets his "No Fly Zone".  He's just have to do with tons of Anti-Tank and Anti-Aircraft weapons.  Poor Zelensky is really getting screwed over by those dastardly Western nations.  Pity Zelensky.  Give him more war material, please.  Seriously, he is an ACTOR doing his fucking job.  And such a good job that you actually believe he wants the "No Fly Zone".  I mean seriously, did you actually watch his speech? He says straight out "Now, I realize you probably won't give me a No Fly Zone, but..."  That is a clue that he's just pushing for enough smoke so the US can load him up with tech and gear.

President Biden, Hillary Clinton, and Lindsey Graham are just uttering empty words that make them look good.  None of them actually cares what those words are.
I have mentioned before that Biden is probably just saying whatever his nearest Aid tells him to say, so for him you can be doubly skeptical.  Even if he were sane, his political dynasty was built on bravado and back room dealing.  He's always been a smiling snake: Most people are so concerned about his being senile they fail to criticize him for the things he did when he was clearly in control.

Poland has been taking an aggressive posture during this, but they've repeatedly avoided crossing the line.  I expect they'll keep doing that.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: March 26, 2022, 11:40:11 pm »

I bet most Russians nukes wont fly. The chain of command also probably wont access to massive suicide, and even if they do probably lots of them will fail to work properly.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 98