Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98

Author Topic: Maybe the WWIII thread (soon) (Ukraine)  (Read 69233 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Not the WWIII thread (yet) (Ukraine)
« Reply #285 on: February 27, 2022, 04:21:42 pm »

Russian State media has accidentally given the game away.

At least know we know what the internal propaganda was going to be.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: February 27, 2022, 04:25:58 pm »

What does it say?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: February 27, 2022, 04:36:45 pm »

That looks like a fucking nuke. Is not, but its terrifyingly similar.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: February 27, 2022, 04:39:54 pm »

What does it say?
Ran it through Google translate. Summary:

The war was expected to end quickly. Putin would be hailed for bringing Ukraine back into Russia's sphere, alluding to Greater Russia, starting a new world order of a multi-polar world, etc.

More importantly, putting an end to the "Ukrainian question" (an anti-Russian Ukraine), ending the "split" of Russian people (Kievan Rus and all that) and the "de-Russification."

It very much sounded like he wanted to end the Ukrainian national identity, language and culture etc, as if it was artificial.

Reeks of genocide, if you ask me. Probably no furnaces, but more akin to forced Russification.

Granted, this was meant for internal consumption, so other motives are possible. But "implications are unpleasant" is a gross understatement.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: February 27, 2022, 04:51:30 pm »

It's a rehash of all the main points that were made in the public address from the beginning of the invasion. Why is this more damning now?

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #290 on: February 27, 2022, 05:00:56 pm »

So Putin is now asking, 'Why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?'. Soooo we're now entering JRPG villain territory. "I'm dying so I'll kill everyone!".

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: February 27, 2022, 05:10:16 pm »

The ICC in the Hague has confirmed that Ukraine has sent a request for a verdict on the Russian invasion.
In the request, Ukraine accuses Russia of planning a genocide, and of deliberatly killing and injuring Ukrainian civilians.

In another request, Ukraine asks the court to take action against the false claim of Russia, that Ukraine is guilty of genocide in the Donetsk and Loehansk region.

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: February 27, 2022, 05:12:31 pm »

Looks like a big blast indeed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgOQZH0K4-I

Could have been a sufficiently large stockpile of munitions, ala the Halifax explosion.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: February 27, 2022, 05:38:09 pm »

Joseph Borrell, chief staff of foreign affairs for the EU, has announced that several EU countries are willing to supply aircraft to Ukraine, following a request for 'planes that can be flown by Ukrainian pilots' by the Ukrainian minister of foreign affairs. He will not say what type aircraft, or which countries.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: February 27, 2022, 06:17:50 pm »

So Putin is now asking, 'Why do we need a world if Russia's not in it?'. Soooo we're now entering JRPG villain territory. "I'm dying so I'll kill everyone!".

Sounds like something trump would say tbh

Random_Dragon

• Bay Watcher
  • Psycho Bored Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 27, 2022, 07:10:51 pm »

Probably where the ex-president got the idea. :V
On DF Wiki ˇ On DFFD

"Hey idiots, someone hacked my account to call you all idiots! Wasn't me you idiots!" seems to stretch credulity a bit.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #296 on: February 27, 2022, 07:12:50 pm »

Damn son, where's James Bond when you need him

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 27, 2022, 07:51:13 pm »

That's a double o negative sir.
Ah well at least the Russians don't have any bonds left either.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 27, 2022, 08:39:18 pm »

I wasn't going to post it, but I've seen similar things before the article today on twitter that putin might be happy about russia's sanctions and the banks being closed off to the world (or swift anyway seems like that be the world though). I saw it posted today on faux news, but it does bring up since I've seen it before and seen mention of it on twitter even today...that (maybe) this has allowed putin to gain a lot more power within Russia since now the banks don't have the power (or something like that), and it is him? I didn't click the article to give it views and twitter is just short text mostly. Sounds pretty BS though and probably fake news as I would think he'd get overthrown by his own military. But it does seem like putin doesn't care at all what so ever about any sanctions, seems to embrace them completely.

Does this have any truth in it though? That the more closed off russia gets, the more power putin ends up getting within his "sphere of influence" or whatever it is. Sounds more and more like a dictatorship if so.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 27, 2022, 08:47:10 pm »

Belarus has scrapped it's non-nuclear status per referendum. The central election committee of Belarus says 65.2% of voters were in favour of the change to the Constitution.
This will allow the deployment of nuclear weapons in Belarus, which was abolished in the early '90s after the breaking up of the Soviet Union.

Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 98