Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Should I double the boosted mana Madness Enhancement gives while I'm doubling normal servant mana?

Probably a good idea.
- 1 (16.7%)
Not really necessary.
- 2 (33.3%)
I don't play Berserker so I don't really have an opinion.
- 3 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 6

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41

Author Topic: Fate/Mechanics Test (Mechanics Test for a new system for Fate style games)  (Read 35904 times)

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Okay here's a thought: I feel like the problem isn't so much the high damage, as it is the low health. Since mana is both health and spellcasting energy, it makes Servants incredibly fragile. You need to pop your NP right away in order to beat the enemy before they reduce your mana to lower than you need to cast it.

So I propose that Servants specifically(and maybe bosses) get double the amount of Mana from the stat. I feel like it'd be a good way to ensure that Battle Continuation isn't the only way for a fight between Servants to last more than 2 turns.

Also, gonna be honest, I'm realizing from my calculations that John Henry has an awful NP. Assuming maximum damage from his NP at its minimum rank, he just spent 40 mana to deal 80 damage. Period. Meanwhile assuming those exact same conditions he would have done 100 damage for only 10 mana by attacking normally.
Only assuming the enemy rolls critical on damage resistance does his NP at D-Rank(so 40 mana cost) deal more damage than a regular attack, and it's only 10 more.(40 vs 50)

The other two levels meanwhile, do 20 and 60 more damage than a normal attack at best respectively and give the enemy a fairly hefty endurance debuff, but give John Henry an even heftier debuff to match. I feel like paying 80 mana and crippling yourself should be worth more than 160 damage and a -4 to endurance rolls for the enemy.

By now I agree with you, but earlier, when it was still 80+ damage, so most likely 100 if the opponent rolled 2 endurance saves, I’d designed a boss with 300 health so, if only Nuada dealt damage, they’d be out on turn 3, which Nuada could get to due to 2 guts effects, and that’s ignoring other units. As is, with the +10(+50 with NP), I’m ok with doubling servant life, but I may also increase the boss to higher as well.

As for your NP, anyone can make minor edits right now.
Wait, don’t d-rank NPs only cost 20 mana?
Berserkers spend more nana to use an NP
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 10:01:48 am by Smoke Mirrors »
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

John Henry doesn't actually have the mana cost up. Rather, the 40 is because he pays the Overload tax for every attack since his NP makes more than one attack.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 05:00:10 pm by Failbird105 »

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

Ah. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

So… any further questions or edits?
Don't worry too much about the one mistake, Smoke Mirrors. Your character was memorable for all the demonology and story writing.

I’m running a game/mechanics test called Fate/Mechanics Test. Feel free to check it out.

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I don’t think so.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile

So… any further questions or edits?
Nope.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Bump

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Right, sorry. Explanation, I’ve been busy with some stuff over spring break. Yesterday I was in the car all day and I’ve been doing work most of this morning. If we don’t have any more issues, the opening of 1.2 should be up tonight. Sorry again.

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

Test 1.2
As you make your way out of the cave and into the valley, you look around. The narrow pass is rocky, with sparse grass and wildflowers dotting the surface, curved slightly by a chilly breeze floating through, and the walls of rock on either side are much the same. Some small boulders and piles of stone, the remnants of rockslides, lay around. Looking up, you see the cloudy blue sky, the sun, slightly covered by the clouds, and, more pressingly, a pair of wyverns flying overhead.

From what you can see of the wyverns, they’re covered in green scales, with brownish ones covering the underside of their stomach, neck, and tail. The webbing of their wings seems to share the color, as well as the spike the whips around at the end of their tail. You get a better look as one of them swoops down for a swipe. There’s a claw at the edge of their wing, and a pair of green horns on their head, sitting above a pair of solid yellow eyes. Overlapping pointed teeth lay in its mouth, more meant for digging into a body and not letting go than for cutting the meat itself. No, that’s what the claws are for. Four on each brown foot, with one sticking off like a Velociraptor’s claw. Fortunately, it only cuts through the rocks above your head, but you can see the second one coming by for another try.

(Action)

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((which characters do you want in on this test?))
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

Smoke Mirrors

• Bay Watcher
  • Do I exist yet?
    • View Profile

((which characters do you want in on this test?))
The plan was to keep the same character for all of the 1. tests, 1.1-1.5, so I could get a better image of the strength of the enemies by using a consistent metric. I’ll pick a new batch starting with 2.1, which I currently think will be the first team combat test.

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

World 1: Irine behaves as she actually would.
Current form: full-fox
Current Mana: 100/100

nope, not playing this game, especially with things big enough to pick up me and carry me off like this.
run back into the cave I came out of so these wyverns lose their flight advantage, then Flame Dance the cave if they chase me inside.

World 2: Noble Phantasm Test, not how she would actually behave
Current form: full-fox
Current Mana: 100/100

Curl up, hiding as much of myself behind my tails as I can, and Firestorm the valley.

((The reason I want to run that second test is because she actually would be very reluctant to use her NP, and the higher damage potential the enemies are the worse of an idea it is to use the thing mid-combat, meaning in later tests she's likely to get herself killed if she tries to use the thing since the enemies then will be high-damage. In the group test (if she's part of it) she still won't want to use it because of friendly fire problems. If you want to avoid the extra work and just handle one, I suggest going with the way she'd actually behave.))

Spoiler: Irine (click to show/hide)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile

Doc pulls out both his pistols, releasing a flurry of fire from both revolvers right into the wyvern's belly when it dives close.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

John Henry
Damn animals always got in the way of rail work. He heated the spike.
"Go on, git!" Throw the spike into the incoming Wyvern

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

noble phantasm and stab the closest one

sorry for being offline, had password troubles.

Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 41