Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Starting with nothing in fortress mode?  (Read 2560 times)

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
  • Persistently work-in-progress.
    • View Profile
Starting with nothing in fortress mode?
« on: February 07, 2022, 11:42:48 am »

Hello, this is a question for those more familiar with fortress mode and reaction modding than i am.

How might one go about making a fortress startable with absolutely nothing? What means of gathering resources are available without access to any tools or workshops which require materials to build?
A custom, no-cost workshop could be made to run reactions to potentially gather resources from the environment, but to what extent can that be done; how much can custom workshop reactions interact with the environment? Just like gathering webs, for example. I think it's possible to gather webs using a custom reaction, IIRC.

Likewise, does anyone know of any mods that might have tackled this problem before me?

In addition, this thread should serve as a hub of discussion regarding this topic.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.
Upload it to somewhere else.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
Re: Starting with nothing in fortress mode?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 05:38:32 pm »

May I ask what is your scope? I mean how would you expect for that "start from nothing fort" to interact with the other civs? Would it be completely isolated? Would they trade/fight with others? i think the answer to these questions is rather important because both trade and war provide the player with some access to tools and equipment.

Anyway I'll try to give you some answers based on my thoughts from when I tried to make my primitive civ mod. Feel free to check it but it doesn't have anything groundbreaking and the project has been on hold for a long time. I don't know of any "start from nothing" mods but it might be worth it to look up Kobold Camp* (perhaps Masterwork too for its different mechanics for each civ) since it has similar restrictions.

*There is also Kobold Kamp which doesn't restrict the player to the surface but it uses a lot of custom reaction, to give the player access to some technologies.

1. Vanilla DF
Depending on the biome you definitely don't need any workshops to deal with hunger and thirst. Plant gathering zones (and pehaps fishing) can provide the fort with food that can be eaten as is and a river or some ponds can provide it with water to drink. Of course that depends on fort population too but I think 50-80 residents should be a sustainable pop. Larger pops might be sustainable if one has access to the caverns which can be accessible without digging if there is a cave in the embark, thought that might be too risky.  In addition to food, plant gathering can be used to provide access to plants for the clothing industry though usually aren't enough to keep the whole fort clothed.

The biggest issue with starting without tools is that the player can't dig or cut trees and thus they can't create dwellings and fortifications. This would make the town extremely vulnerable to tantrums, dangerous animals, werebeasts, (semi)megabeasts and necromancers any of which can end the fort early on. My experience with such forts is that evil biomes are instant fail and savage ones are a gamble.

2. Custom reactions

I don't have any experience with reactions that interact directly with the enviroment (say gather webs/clay or use bucket of water) but as far as I know, any item that can be defined in the raws can be produced via custom reactions. I can't remember the mod (Orc fortress perhaps?) but I remember reading about one where they used custom reactions to simulate praying to the gods and had a chance to give some item in return. Writing all these might become a chore, but you should be able to give a civ access to anything they need through those.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 10:20:55 pm »

I won't be any help with the modded side, but to expand on the information from vanilla - embarking with nothing still gives you a wagon (I don't recall if these can be modded out, or if you'll just have to make them immediately boil or something). The wagon's 3 logs can be used to make all sorts of workshops, which gives the player access to meat, leather, and bones as well as whatever they can fish up. They can cook and even create bags. Plenty of crafts can be made from bone and shell. I've embarked with nothing and by the time autumn arrived, had a squad of shell-armored crossbow dwarves.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2022, 04:37:48 am »

May I ask what is your scope? I mean how would you expect for that "start from nothing fort" to interact with the other civs? Would it be completely isolated? Would they trade/fight with others? i think the answer to these questions is rather important because both trade and war provide the player with some access to tools and equipment.
Fighting and trading are both certainly within the scope, though the latter is obviously locked behind getting access to some form of building material to make a trade depot, and the former a matter of surviving defeating a gobbo attack or something with sub-metal gear. And neither is going to give the player anything immediately useful, as the race is physically too small(but not as small as kobolds) to equip goblin/dwarf gear directly, and do not have access to metal forges to melt stuff down. And as you did mention Kobold Kamp, i do have it in my references folder for this mod, as i intend to do something similar to it's scrapping/salvage mechanic, to allow my race access to some metal equipment.

The biggest issue with starting without tools is that the player can't dig or cut trees and thus they can't create dwellings and fortifications. This would make the town extremely vulnerable to tantrums, dangerous animals, werebeasts, (semi)megabeasts and necromancers any of which can end the fort early on. My experience with such forts is that evil biomes are instant fail and savage ones are a gamble.
Well, my ideal plan has the player able to build a proper (tree-)fort before ever chopping down a tree or mining a piece of stone. Though, that is the super ideal scenario.

I can't remember the mod (Orc fortress perhaps?) but I remember reading about one where they used custom reactions to simulate praying to the gods and had a chance to give some item in return. Writing all these might become a chore, but you should be able to give a civ access to anything they need through those.
That's really the only thing i don't want to do; to produce stuff out of thin air. I might dip into magical reactions later in the tech tree, but it'll be after the hurdles of the early game, which i (ideally) wanna focus squarely on foraging and survival.

I won't be any help with the modded side, but to expand on the information from vanilla - embarking with nothing still gives you a wagon (I don't recall if these can be modded out, or if you'll just have to make them immediately boil or something). The wagon's 3 logs can be used to make all sorts of workshops, which gives the player access to meat, leather, and bones as well as whatever they can fish up. They can cook and even create bags. Plenty of crafts can be made from bone and shell. I've embarked with nothing and by the time autumn arrived, had a squad of shell-armored crossbow dwarves.
Hehe, i did think of this problem myself. So far, my plan to deal with that is to change the material of the wagon "creature", so that it is not usable for making stuff out of :P.

I have actually put some further thought into this problem myself, and i've come up with some potential avenues for giving the player materials to use:
Trees at times drop leaves and fruit in vanilla DF. I'm fairly sure the same system could be used to make them drop something like twigs or branches, which could, with a little imagination, be combined together to form a basic, wooden building material. The problem: it would likely limit the starting embarks to places with trees, which most embarks have, but excludes some of the more extreme embarks.

A fake rock "fish" could be created, which could be fished up, and then crafted into more useful things. Problem: this will limit embarks to ones with a body of water. Also, i'm not sure if making this "fish" ubiquitous might displace actual fish. Also, dwarven embarks will also then fish up random, utterly useless rocks.

Same as with the trees, plant gathering could be modified to also produce plant stems or something, potentially useful for crafting.
NOTICE: If you can't update your profile/signature, stop using a Imgur URL for your profile picture.

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2022, 05:58:28 am »

About the wagon logs, I think you can just remove the [itemcorpse] token and it won't spawn any upon deconstruction. The same token could be given to other creatures to drop items (say raw meat, stones etc) upon death to circumvent the need for butchering, mining etc.

The growth system is probably the best "vanilla" way to go, though as you said it limits the player to embarks with living trees and plants. You can just make some custom growths that can be gathered when in season and then proccessed into useable materials via custom reactions. Do note that since growths are usualy produced in stacks, you'll need to be a bit more specific on how many times the reaction should take place whenever you place an order. (look up the [max multiplier] token).

Another solution would be to use DFHack. A script that "activates" periodicaly and spawns said resources randomly around the map could be used to simulate branches falling down or small rocks getting digged up by weather/animals. This could potentialy work even in extreme embarks, though I don't know how to write it or how to make it give biome-appropriate items.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2022, 04:31:18 pm »

Not sure about the whole starting out with nothing thing, but even in Vanilla DF, if you get access to as much as one tile of clay, you can pretty much make any workshop you want, even build endlessly. For that, however, you will need to build a kiln. Kinda how my fort Warmlance got started in a tundra biome, nearly everything being made of clay. Still, you won't be getting yourself a pick or an axe for digging and woodcutting and hence beds this way, but once you built the jeweller's workshop with a piece of clay, you can cut it and encrust things with it.

Strik3r

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2022, 05:00:20 pm »

Still, you won't be getting yourself a pick or an axe for digging and woodcutting and hence beds this way
Thankfully, with custom workshops and reactions, this isn't a problem, and all of that stuff can be made out of clay, that is assuming custom reactions can be used to gather clay. I don't know, i haven't tried, but i'm pretty sure it can be. However, clay isn't really an universally available resource, at least i don't think so? If so it likely isn't a good choice to form the core of such a tech-tree. Then again, no resource really is, so maybe a bunch of overlapping super-low-tech options are needed to start the player off. Something to think about.

When i have the time, i'll confirm whether custom reactions can gather clay, if so, it can be included as one of the basic reactions to make stuff out of it, requiring only the slightest suspension of disbelief to make things out of clay without a kiln.

Shdorsh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2022, 06:11:40 pm »

No, clay requires you to have an embark with clay tiles on it. It can be somewhere inside/above an aquifer if you are unlucky, but once you are set, you can pretty much build a castle out of thin air. In a cold tundra without trees and a few layers of aquifer, it is an armok-given blessing. As you said, most of the resources aren't universally available (from the start, at least:)