Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23

Author Topic: DEEP SPACE: Space vampires and work safety  (Read 35550 times)

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
Re: DEEP SPACE
« Reply #75 on: February 12, 2022, 07:38:02 am »

"Like they're in the middle of a desert. Maybe you should avoid the living stuff and stick to the bare metal regions.

As for me, I'm gonna have me a chat with the locals!"

"Yeah, yeah that might be a good idea. I'm going to go take a stroll, hopefully shake the pollen or whatever triggered my allergies off.

Let's find eachother again before we head into the enigma though, alright? We'd do best to stick together going deeper into the ship, who knows what dangerous crap is lurking down there."

We're at the overgrown engine right now, right? Go up towards the broken engine, see what the "more buildings?" in the square above is about.

Spoiler: Hlaine (click to show/hide)

piecewise

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN]
    • View Profile
    • Stuff
« Reply #76 on: February 13, 2022, 08:46:02 pm »

"I do say my friend," Ozwald turns to Steve, his voice a southern debonair drawl. Looking him up and down, nodding satisfied to be in the company of a fashionable and glib tongued individual then offers him a hand in greeting "I am impressed, names Ozwald J. Hamond. Might I say it is a pleasure to meet a gentleman of equal tastes." if he takes it he'll find the 50 he needs to pay for the suit.
Steve firmly accepts the handshake "Likewise my friend! I'm glad I was able to assist you in pertaining something even remotely fashionable within this wasteland, after all a gentlemen should always look his part at least that's what my uncle always told me! Anyway once your done procuring your outfit come have a seat with me near the patio I feel we have much we can glean from each others insights and I always enjoy a nice talking partner to pass the time before a venture properly begins."

Go sit down at the nearest half decent looking table and wait.
Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)
The nearest table is in the outdoor seating area of a nearby Restaurant, named "Deep Black Café". The tables and chairs are all clearly hand made from scrap metal but are actually fairly elegant for their rough origin. You pay 1 credit for a tea made with "local herbs" so that they don't kick you out for lounging around without paying. Time, with reference to the planet's day cycle, is a bit hard to tell. Late afternoon maybe? You peek out of under the fabric awning overhanging the seating area. The sun is past its zenith, though no telling how slowly it will trudge towards the horizon. Come to think of it you're not even sure this planet has days as you think of them. Nor the latitude of this dig site. For all you know this is the pole and the sun will never set. Hmm.

"I do say my friend," Ozwald turns to Steve, his voice a southern debonair drawl. Looking him up and down, nodding satisfied to be in the company of a fashionable and glib tongued individual then offers him a hand in greeting "I am impressed, names Ozwald J. Hamond. Might I say it is a pleasure to meet a gentleman of equal tastes." if he takes it he'll find the 50 he needs to pay for the suit.

(Not bolded so I'm not sure if this is an action. Are you saying to search for 50 credits? Or just pay the snakes? Uncertain.)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

i head to the void temple
As you head down what the locals call "Iron Road" you eventually come across the small Void Watcher temple. The building, apparently constructed in the shell of some huge cylindrical electrical component, is little more than a shrine. It is a single large room with a magnetically contained fragment of Void floating in its center and three levels of metal benches welded to the bottom, middle and upper parts of the cylinder. The middle and upper seats are accessed by a ladder welded near the doorway and have a guard rail of sorts running in front of them to prevent worshipers from tumbling off.  There are a few worshipers here now, scattered among the levels, all staring silently into the void. The room is surprisingly quiet, almost all noise from the outside is cut off and the only real sound is the soft hum of the containment system.

An elder watcher, distinguishable by his black attire and matching black eyes, is talking to a young man. You recognize that young man as one of the passengers aboard the ship you just departed.

"The voices that scream at me in my mind tell me I need this weapon."
Find out how much the Thermo-Lash is, if I can afford it buy it if I can't leave, but no matter if I can afford it or not once out of the shop head towards the giant engines.
[3]
The man tells you the thermo-lash will cost you 1000. You know instinctively that's a freaking scam so you start haggling. In the end it costs you every credit to your name but you do manage to get the thermo-lash for 450. 

Thermo-Lash: (End)(1d8, leaps to another enemy for d4 and then d2) Resembles a giant metal tuning fork jammed in the end of a rifle. It's a modified version of the energy tether used in zero g salvaging, this one burning with plasma and leaping to nearby targets instead of just tethering them together.

There are four giant engines (Check the Map on the OP), choose one.

Make my way to the Universal Survey building. Ask about any mapping efforts.

Spoiler: Lorin (click to show/hide)
The interior of the Universal Survey building is clean, brightly lit, and playing soft Muzak. Across a room filled with a sparse collection of stainless steel tables is a wall of individual kiosks. Each Kiosk is a small booth of what looks like glass enclosing a single person who is sitting at a glass desk and typing on a glass computer that appears to have barely visible glass innards. Next to the kiosk is some sort of large scanner which then leads to an automated metal door.  You shrug and walk over to a random kiosk where a young man is typing away. He ignores you for several seconds to finish typing before then locking eyes with you through his glass computer screen. You ask him about mapping and he explains the following:

1. The Universal Survey corp will pay for map data of the interior of the Enigma just as they will pay for just about any data or samples from within.
2. Mapping data must be delivered in person.
3. Bounties for mapping are paid as a total and are independent of group size. If 1000 is the bounty, thats 1000 total, not 1000 to every member of the group.
4. The largest amounts are paid for information about entirely new areas, with lesser amounts paid for more exact detail from subsequent visits. Unless major changes occur, of course.
5. Deeper sections pay greater bounties.

Take a look at a couple of the busts.

Spoiler: Maxwell Hardberger (click to show/hide)
The busts are all precision made, probably laser cut, metal depictions of older men and women. Many have fairly evident scars, injuries, and cybernetic parts. One even has a completely mechanical head save for a clump of scalp and one eye. There are inscriptions under each bust which lay out a name and a set of dates. The dates are too close together to be the lifespan of the individuals, so they must have been the times these people held some kind of position. Guild leader maybe?

"Well, how about that. I admit, I didn't really admit seeing an, a, forest? Ecosystem? here. It looks interesting, it's hhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh"
Hlaine suddenly stops walking, one side of his face drooping slightly, his arms limp at his side. He's sweating profusely, one eye starting to wander slowly. He looks very unhealthy, more so than usual.

Suddenly a violent shudder goes throughout his body, and he snaps back to normal.
"hhhhhhholy fuck. Oh dear, am I having an alergic reaction to the plants? Am I going into anaph, afanalec, that bad alergic shock? Quick, how do my pupils look?"

((10 hp lost, telekesis acquired))
Gambatta looks askance at his impromptu companion, something approaching concern in his eyes.

"Like they're in the middle of a desert. Maybe you should avoid the living stuff and stick to the bare metal regions.

Go strike up a conversation with the farmers. How's their day been? What do they do here? What sells on the animal front, and to who?

"Yeah, yeah that might be a good idea. I'm going to go take a stroll, hopefully shake the pollen or whatever triggered my allergies off.

Let's find eachother again before we head into the enigma though, alright? We'd do best to stick together going deeper into the ship, who knows what dangerous crap is lurking down there."

We're at the overgrown engine right now, right? Go up towards the broken engine, see what the "more buildings?" in the square above is about.

Gambatta and Hlaine head north, traveling along the edge of the overgrown area until they reach the people gathering plants. They're not farmers, at least not really; they didn't grow any of these plants themselves they're just gathering the plants that grew here naturally. Gambatta strikes up a conversation with an older man who is sitting on the edge of the autocage, taking a break. According to this older man the plants here are all leeching off the energy from the engine, and they're harvesting the plants as food for "Vernierville", the town to the north of here. Apparently these are native plants that survived mostly on sunlight before but are growing massive under the energy they can gather from the engine.   The engines still fire fairly often, but there's always energy running through them whether they're firing or not. Its why the engine north of here is a hazard even when its not "erupting".

When asked about animals, he says that they probably want to talk to the Universal Survey company up in town, unless they mean to gather critters and sell them to the prospectors or the locals.

"Dad, everything is so big. Was this really a ship?"

Advance into the jungle ahead of Kendar. Keep Kendar safe. Watch for anything threatening him, slash it apart, take a hit for him if I can.
Clear a path through the plants with the monoblade or thermal ray if necessary.

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)
Follow the explorers into the jungle with my deathray at the ready
Spoiler: Terra (click to show/hide)
Kander sighs as he looks sidelong at Hlaine.  He shakes his head, then looks up at the towering wall of overgrowth in front of him.

"Well, kiddo, here we are.  The area out here is too exposed, most that's worthwhile will have already been picked clean.  Let's try and find a way inside.  The best artifacts will be deep."

Head into the jungle, and search for an entrance inside the engine, or the Enigma in general.  Keep the logbook out, and chart our progress.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)
Go deeper into the forest, trusting that my knowledge and charisma will protect and help me, hoping to find some cool things
Xeriay, Terra, Kander, and (No sheet) push deeper into the overgrown area. They quickly discover a rough footpath and follow it through the increasingly gigantic foliage. Its clear that people have been out this way before from the cut foliage and the boot prints in the sand. The even come across the remains of what look like old hunting camps, now abandoned. The creatures here seem skittish and scatter at your approach, usually not seen as more than a blur and rustle of leaves. The only creatures that don't run are those too large to care or too slow to actually sprint away. The most interesting of these looks like a sandy colored praying mantis with four forelimbs  that snips bits of leaves and plants with its pincers and delicately pops them in its mandibles. Its roughly the size of a giraffe and watches the group carefully as they move past, its limbs still carrying food to its mouth while its huge compound eyes trace the team's movement.

Eventually, as the plants become simply outrageous in size, the team runs up against the outer wall of the engine. They can't actually see much of the engine from their current vantage point though; the leaves here are over 6 meters long and they've been spending most of their time just shoving through them. Its like digging a tunnel through the foliage and they can see little above or around them.  The outer wall of the engine is a smooth slab of metal with no distinguishing features or marks. It seems to be vibrating very very slightly though.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 13, 2022, 09:46:00 pm »

Xeriay places a hand on the engine wall, feeling the subtle vibration.
"So we want to get through this, right? Not sure if I want to risk chipping my blade on a wall."

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 14, 2022, 04:27:28 am »

"I like this new gun, I must find something to use it on as the voices DEMAND!"
Embark on my quest for murder by heading towards the overgrown engine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 14, 2022, 07:14:17 am »

Hmm, I may know how to solve this.

Amon uses his knowledge of engines and wisdom to try to find a solution to this problem

syvarris

• Bay Watcher
  • UNICORNPEGASUSKITTEN
    • View Profile
Re: DERP SPOOS
« Reply #80 on: February 14, 2022, 11:08:26 am »

"We were following a path.  I'm sure there's an entrance somewhere--even if no natural ones were available, somebody would've cut in by now.  With proper tools.  Though..." Kander's eyes look over Terra.  "Your death ray could get us through, though it might take awhile.  I'd suggest that, if we had a better way to climb down.  My autoharness can let me and Xeriay descend safely, but you and Amon are out of luck.  For now, let's look for a better way through."

Follow the wall of the engine around, clockwise, searching for some kind of construction or entrance into the damage.  While traveling, keep an eye out for interesting plants or animals, especially anything that looks... transportable.  I have a nagging suspicion that there is no entrance, and trying to cut one out will make the damn thing explode spectacularly.

...I might as well wis roll to guess if the engine will explode should we cut into it with a death ray.

Spoiler: Kander (click to show/hide)

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 14, 2022, 12:00:45 pm »

I walk up behind my teammate and wait respectfully for the old guy to notice me.  when/if he does, i ask hem this question: "hello? i have a void shard.  how do i use it?"
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

The Lupanian

• Bay Watcher
  • Seeker of Knowledge
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 14, 2022, 01:14:10 pm »

carefully prod the jungle to see if any paths reveal themselves. Maybe tunnels that might lead down, or places where the growth of plants has weakened potential opening.
Spoiler: Terra (click to show/hide)
I only ate a few vampire hearts. Like, three tops. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Go check out Shadow of the Void!

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 14, 2022, 02:36:49 pm »

Well, what's the best way into there? Provided that we have access to a cutting laser and a monoblade. We probably want to stay out of the path of any eruptions, so keep an eye out for spots which could turn dangerus.

Spoiler: Xeriay (click to show/hide)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 14, 2022, 10:54:50 pm »

Ask the receptionist about the guild and guild services.

Spoiler: Maxwell Hardberger (click to show/hide)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 15, 2022, 12:59:45 am »

Thank the old timer, try to find this universal survey thingy in Vernierville.

Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Pancaek

• Bay Watcher
  • Real stupidity beats artificial intelligence
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 15, 2022, 05:34:56 pm »

"Excuse me sir, might I ask a question before we leave?"

Ask the old man if he can tell us what's around the broken engine to the north. Als ask if he knows what's in the top middle square of the current map, since it's sort-kinda adjacent to Vernierville.

Thank him in any case and then follow Gambatta to the universal survey whatsit.

Horizon

• Bay Watcher
  • hOlY cRaP tHe sUn?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 15, 2022, 07:09:01 pm »

"I'll be with you in a moment." Ozwald tells Steve before turning to hand the 50 credits to the snakeman and looks around to find anything of interest while waiting for the suit to be made.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2022, 07:11:39 pm by Horizon »
Go and Praise Mitsloe the artist of my avatar!

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 15, 2022, 07:18:15 pm »

Steve looks at his watch "Hmm."

Keep waiting
Spoiler: Steve Goldwin (click to show/hide)
« Reply #89 on: February 15, 2022, 07:20:30 pm »

"Cheers then, I'll be taking you up on that."

Head out towards the Intact Engine.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 23