Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: World End Diner !  (Read 2514 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World End Diner !
« on: January 30, 2022, 08:21:21 pm »

This is the thread to discuss my new fave game, World End Diner.

The game is a restaurant management sim with some crafting and farming elements. You play as a robot running a diner for sentient animals and other robots on the last island in the world, after the death of humanity. Gameplay progresses through levels, so that you unlock a new level after generating enough happiness from your customers and the residents of the island. In my experience each and every level brings new gameplay elements; I'm on level 20 or so right now and have been playing for more than 70 hours. It is really fun and even as you unlock new skills that make aspects of the game easier, you always have to think of additional strategies to advance to the next stage. I especially like how there will often be locked elements ("get to level 8 to see this") and hidden elements ("you're at level 15, here's a new tab on the skill tree menu. Surprise!"). It makes advancement challenging and never dull as you plan and then plan again. You get to both anticipate using skill points to unlock that tantalizing new recipe and wonder what will change the next time you advance. Surprisingly, I haven't found it to be very grindy despite the simple core gameplay loop.

Also, the animals are really cute and decorating the diner with stuff you buy, find, and are gifted is lots of fun. At least so far I think a new species comes to your diner with every level that is unlocked. There are baby penguins and red pandas!!

Originally I was running a giveaway, details in spoiler below. If anyone desperately wants the game and doesn't get it, let me know. I gave away 4 copies so far and will consider giving away more.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 04:31:48 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: World End Diner Giveaway! Open until Midnight Pacific, Feb 2
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 09:23:17 pm »

The game sounds interesting, though I don’t want to be part of the giveaway as I have too many other games that I will be playing (and others I should be playing) but perhaps the people who receive the game will post of their experiences here.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 09:47:11 pm »

Looks cute, though I'll decline entering because I know my habits too well, and anything in this genre'll sit there for an eternity. Kind of a melancholic feel, looking at how everything's outdoors or in a semi-ruined state, though. Intriguing, certainly.

Totally had to doubletake this screenshot though, because that backpack really looked NSFW when flipping through quickly...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 10:21:11 pm »

Hey that looks pretty sweet! This is right up my alley and as I'm re-entering the gaming world (finally upgrading from weak laptops), the timing is perfect.

I love these types of games and also agree that the art style is very cute.

My steam is here. I've read the rules.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 11:59:51 pm »

Hmm. On the one hand, I'm still enmeshed in the stuff I got from Dorfmas and have a disgusting backlog besides that. On the other, this does look like it would tickle the Stardewy itch I've had for a long time - and on the subject of Dorfmas stuff, Cozy Grove has shown me that I have a higher tolerance for slow grinds than I'd thought I did (and that appears to be the main fault people are bringing up about this). And yes, it's rather cute, and looks like it has longer legs than most of the other HM/SDV-likes I've tried.

I've read the rules and [this was] me.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2022, 10:24:38 am by E. Albright »

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2022, 01:59:45 pm »

Looks awesome, but it'd probably end up sitting in my steam list forever. Backlog, etc. I might buy it for some friends though, thanks for pointing it out :D
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2022, 03:41:41 pm »

Ah... I'm going to feel a little guilty about entering because I know it'd probably be a while before I could play it for a variety of reasons, but farming and/or cooking and/or restaurant sim games are all genres I get really into, so this looks super intriguing to me. The setting seems really unique, as well, and I'd love to see what they do with it.

So. I've read the rules, and this is my Steam.

Thanks for doing this! Definitely wouldn't have discovered this game, otherwise.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2022, 07:50:59 pm »

Sounds good, all. If you have any friends who you think might like to join the giveaway feel free to invite them !! I was initially thinking 5-10 copies LMAO. I really love this game and want to share it with the community.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2022, 08:06:02 am »

Thanks for doing this! I will not be entering (too much game backlog already), but the game looks awesome.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

ZebioLizard2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2022, 01:47:39 pm »

Read the rules and ZebioLizard2 is my account

The setting is cute, and I will admit I have a thing for farming games. They're just so laid back and fun and generally cooking in most of them isn't as focused on so you generally get a few recipes to deal with despite having so many options, but having a full blown cooking thing allows for such variety and interest that just lets me enjoy that sort of thing. Stardew valley, harvest moon, story of seaasons and generally all those sorts of things from farming to cooking generally are my jam.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2022, 01:47:25 am »

Screw it! All four of you win.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2022, 03:20:57 am »

Thanks so much! So far I'm finding that it's not quite as bad as Stardew was for "I must do ALL the things TODAY" (the apparent lack of seasons helps a lot), but within my first three days I've already stayed up too late and collapsed from exhaustion once so it's not free of that cursed perspective. I'm really just not good at relaxing in these games, sigh...

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2022, 03:33:02 am »

Yeah, there are seasons but they're not quite as, er, severe as in your usual farming game :) I wouldn't say it's exactly a game played at a relaxing pace. I like it because it's the closest video game I've ever experienced to the experience of working in a cafe.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2022, 06:30:01 am »

Aww, thanks Vector! I'm looking forward to playing it.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2022, 11:56:55 am »

Fantastic! I'm really looking forward to this one.

Thanks so much!
Pages: [1] 2