Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35

Author Topic: Panopticotheon IC: Turn 8 [10/10]  (Read 23221 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Panopticotheon IC: Turn 1 [9/10]
« Reply #105 on: December 27, 2021, 03:12:22 pm »

"Would you overcome your Fear if it came to pass, and you could do nothing about it?"
My fear isn't harmless, though. I'm not telling you that rats need to make friends with owls.

Or if it did turn out to be harmless, I assume I would get over it eventually, or go insane. Both acceptable outcomes.

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: December 27, 2021, 03:23:02 pm »

The Faceless Prince overlooks the debate in a blasé manner. It is perhaps difficult to appear otherwise without a face.
The plane is magic. We could simply have it be perceived in such a manner as to not cause undue distress to the occupants, rather than trying to figure out specifically how to accommodate each one, or have it at some balance between mundanity and discomfort, or what-have-you. It truly should not be of terrible importance; the mortals preferably should not be there especially long.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: December 27, 2021, 03:27:17 pm »

My fear isn't harmless, though. I'm not telling you that rats need to make friends with owls.

Or if it did turn out to be harmless, I assume I would get over it eventually, or go insane. Both acceptable outcomes.

Gibeele does a little barrel roll.
"The point past which you stop caring about something, it does indeed become harmless. One who has no aversion to anything cannot be harmed, after all. I'd just prefer if our afterlife had some sort of structure, such that being which prefer that environment would have access to it. Being in a calm state of mind will be necessary for them to make a properly informed choice, after all."

The Faceless Prince overlooks the debate in a blasé manner. It is perhaps difficult to appear otherwise without a face.
The plane is magic. We could simply have it be perceived in such a manner as to not cause undue distress to the occupants, rather than trying to figure out specifically how to accommodate each one, or have it at some balance between mundanity and discomfort, or what-have-you. It truly should not be of terrible importance; the mortals preferably should not be there especially long.

"We lack any mechanism to force them out. Indeed, it might be difficult to evict anybody who wishes to stay provided the rules we decided on. Surely, over a long time span, some will decide not to decide."

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: December 27, 2021, 04:07:09 pm »

Once again, Gibeele hammers together a Votebox from some random planks and nails which happened to be floating around.

Quote from: votebox pertaining to the formation of a shared Realm
Fuck these proposals!: 0
Cathedral of Souls: 1 (Gibeele)
Garden of Souls: 1 (Gibeele)

In a daring move, Gibeele votes for both proposals, thus tacitly asserting that this is an approval voting system.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: December 27, 2021, 04:13:36 pm »

Fuck these proposals!: 1 (Shinka)
Cathedral of Souls: 2 (Gibeele, Shinka)
Garden of Souls: 2 (Gibeele, Shinka)
Your daring inspires competition. Admit that you have been bested in the field of perfectly useless actions.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: December 27, 2021, 05:08:26 pm »

Garden of Souls: 2 (Gibeele, Shinka)
Sub-Vote - Allow changes via Consensus later: 1 (Twi)
Your daring inspires competition. Admit that you have been bested in the field of perfectly useless actions.
You competition inspires little change, rather than much.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: December 27, 2021, 06:02:01 pm »

Garden of Souls: 3 (Gibeele, Shinka, C’thun)
Sub-Vote - Allow changes via Consensus later: 1 (Twi)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: December 27, 2021, 09:47:32 pm »

"If we are to make a place where Gods are not to interfere, the mortals might as well have something to do if they don't particularly like any of us. They should get some time to think on it too. That way you can bribe folk to come to your afterlife if you'd like to."

Quote from: Shared Realm
Field of the Dead

The dead will find themselves in an empty field spanning infinitely in all directions. Dead things that are not mortals instead become seeds (so a house that burns down in the mortal world becomes a seed of a house in the FotD, a river that dries up does as well, a cow that is slaughtered becomes a cow seed etc). The only default building in this otherwise infinite field is the Seed and Feed. The Seed and Feed rents out farming tools in exchange for labor, items that the dead mortal was interred with, or seeds that where created near their time and place of death. More importantly it also sells seeds for the same.

The Seed of Choosing is given out for free. There is one SoC for each god, which will grow a portal to that God's afterlife after four seasons. It vanishes after one mortal has entered. Other seeds will let them choose their afterlife - like the Seed of Sight which allows them to see what each afterlife is like and grows in a single season, or the Seed of Simulation that brings them into a simulated afterlife for a single season and grows in two. Other afterlife seeds may be chosen by the Gods freely.

The gods may only interfere in two ways. The first is to speak freely, an ability their servants share, allowing them to convince mortals to come to their afterlife (or go to any other if they don't particularly want mortals to enter their afterlife). The second is to gift mortals a discount at the Seed and Feed. This is to allow you to gift mortals you like without allowing for "gifts" that would be harmful to said mortal (if you where to gift, say, a powerful monster the Seed and Feed would tell the mortal they're getting the seed of a powerful monster). No other direct interference is allowed.

"There. If a mortal works hard he can make his own cozy little afterlife. It'll have trees and caves and whatever else the mortals decide to plant, and the more of your mortals that die the more of those things it'll have. Plus it has much more farming this way!"
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: December 27, 2021, 10:47:31 pm »

"Is this one of those idle game I've been hearing about?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: December 27, 2021, 10:56:31 pm »

It does not appear to resemble anything I might refer to as an "idol game", but perhaps I am misunderstanding.
Regardless, while your proposal is interesting, Harvest, and it may well be worthwhile to take some aspects from it for integration into whatever final design we construct, it does seem rather... biased.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: December 27, 2021, 11:23:25 pm »

It does not appear to resemble anything I might refer to as an "idol game", but perhaps I am misunderstanding.
Regardless, while your proposal is interesting, Harvest, and it may well be worthwhile to take some aspects from it for integration into whatever final design we construct, it does seem rather... biased.

HH looks at Faceless's face confused.

"Biased in what way? It has Mortals for the God of Mortals, Trade for the God of Trade, Messages for the God of Messengers, Creation for the God of Creation, Competition for the God of Competition, and probably something for Susan too. Don't much know how to fit Courage or Brutality. Guess we could make it so acts of bravery count as Seed and Feed trade in. As far as I can see everyone is represented."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: December 27, 2021, 11:42:12 pm »

The Faceless Prince stares back. Probably. It's admittedly a bit difficult to be sure.
It's farming. It is, in fact, entirely based around farming. Every decision is made either for farming, or by farming. All trade is done to facilitate farming. Any messages within the plane probably regard farming, with those from outside being either advertisement or informing people about discounts for their farming goods. All creation is in the form of farming. All competition is for resources pertaining to farming. All the mortals are farming while they wait to be able to move to a different plane. It is all farming.
I am not claiming that the concept does not bear merit. Giving mortals time to come to their decision is not without reason. But consider if I had proposed a plane where every mechanism by which mortals might accomplish something was some variant of trade or research. Even if I were to integrate, in some manner, the spheres of the rest of you, it would naturally - and rightfully - be called out as biased toward my personal interests.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 28, 2021, 12:26:14 am »

The Faceless Prince stares back. Probably. It's admittedly a bit difficult to be sure.
It's farming. It is, in fact, entirely based around farming. Every decision is made either for farming, or by farming. All trade is done to facilitate farming. Any messages within the plane probably regard farming, with those from outside being either advertisement or informing people about discounts for their farming goods. All creation is in the form of farming. All competition is for resources pertaining to farming. All the mortals are farming while they wait to be able to move to a different plane. It is all farming.
I am not claiming that the concept does not bear merit. Giving mortals time to come to their decision is not without reason. But consider if I had proposed a plane where every mechanism by which mortals might accomplish something was some variant of trade or research. Even if I were to integrate, in some manner, the spheres of the rest of you, it would naturally - and rightfully - be called out as biased toward my personal interests.

He looks even more confused.

"That is the way every world is, yes? Farming is the fuel that runs the world. Every creator can create because of a farmer. Every messenger runs because of the farmer. Every trader trades because of the farmer. Everything in the world is created, by extension, through farming. It isn't bias on my part, it is simply my sphere of influence being essential for all mortal life. If two people trade goods it was the farmer that allowed it to happen by feeding both traders, feeding the craftsmen who made the goods, feeding the messengers who set up the deal, feeding the workers who built the road, feeding the scientists who invented the goods, and on and on. If one does not wish to farm in this system then one can hire others to farm for them, so long as they have the funds to do so. How is this any different from the mortal world?"

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: December 28, 2021, 12:46:33 am »

The Faceless Prince clasps their hands together.
Because after death, mortals are rather lacking in all those things such as hunger and malnutrition that necessitate actions taken to produce foodstuffs in the first place; the material needs of their bodies are left behind, while their souls are sent to their final destinations. Why obligate them to do such labor upon their death when it brings no great advantage to us or them to do so, rather than merely allowing them information and passage as desired by them? The point of the common plane is not to make mortals work for their final transit, it is primarily to sort them to the plane most befitting them. If you intend for mortals to spend their post-mortality time farming, then feel free to arrange your own plane that they may do so. But it is not the purpose of the common plane to promote some particular style of afterlife.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 12:48:18 am by Glass »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: December 28, 2021, 12:48:43 am »

Gibeele watches the conversation, amused. Or perhaps overdosing on something, it's not really clear.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 35