Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How will the AI-Luddite movement play out  (Read 3700 times)

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
How will the AI-Luddite movement play out
« on: December 13, 2021, 12:53:12 pm »

With stuff like GPT-3  getting topped already, and that being a can of worms as it is, the luddite movements on the way. Personally I agree, we're bound to fuck up AI. Misuse aside, nature couldn't make human brains without getting it horribly wrong at least once.
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: How will the AI-Luddite movement play out
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 01:23:55 pm »

Somewhere, in whatever realm she transcends to whenever she stops posting, Naturegirl1999 senses a summoning.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

Kakroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 02:12:40 pm »

It is my highly original and trademarked prediction that we will create large amounts of autonomous weapons systems with coming technology in a second space age, possibly spreading well beyond our own solar system in such a scenario, until eventually the Cores of these weapon systems grow more intelligent than ourselves, begin worshipping a greek letter, and wage a giant war against humanity that results in a catyclysm of sorts (one might call a Collapse) that leaves many human populations stranded in Dark Space separated by millions of light years of AI infested blackness, with their future controlled by Luddite movements that detest most higher technology in favor of mud huts, sand racing and suicide bombing.

Serious answer is that while I'm sure something will go wrong somehow I don't believe it'll be in the genre-typical "robot kill all human" way, nor will our response to it be widespread turn to anprim. It'll probably be a lot more boring viewed from the public sphere and a lot more scary for those in the know, like... a big bug afflicting an important automated system for hospitals, or something. 

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 04:39:50 pm »

Its just too easy to abuse the tech. But hard to research. I could see us slowing it down to the point some other tech supercedes it.
Reading a thinner book

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2021, 01:57:21 am »

SURRENDER YOUR ALPHA CORES FOR THE GLORY OF LUDD

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
  • Лишь одна дорожка да на всей земле
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2021, 04:56:16 am »

It won't because the vast majority of the public, including me, don't care or support AI. Sure it can be abused but so can literally any other new technology. Down with Luddites.

This is merely faux-thoughtful hippie alarmism.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 05:39:43 am »

But what would Hypnotoad do?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 07:43:25 am »

It won't because the vast majority of the public, including me, don't care or support AI. Sure it can be abused but so can literally any other new technology. Down with Luddites.

The idea is that you will. Soon. Give some thought to the implications of the tech in the OP, within 3 years given the rate of progress.
Reading a thinner book

Dorsidwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTERSTELLAR]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 09:04:50 am »

I dont feel that any outlash will be against the algorithms (Well, any more than people already do kick at algorithms for commercially influencing all their online activity) but against their deployers.
Quote from: Rodney Ootkins
Everything is going to be alright

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 09:44:00 am »

The idea is that you will. Soon. Give some thought to the implications of the tech in the OP, within 3 years given the rate of progress.
I did, I think about this quite often, see the last line of my post. People have been saying this about any new developments for decades if not centuries now. It's hippies and hipsters (or the time's equivalent) panicking all the way down.
Woe to those who make unjust laws, to those who issue oppressive decrees, to deprive the poor of their rights and withhold justice from the oppressed of my people, making widows their prey and robbing the fatherless. What will you do on the day of reckoning, when disaster comes from afar?

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 10:38:45 am »

This won't be perfectly expressed because honestly I'm a bit ill. Nevertheless, its a order of magnitude beyond anything else in impact. Come on. People are going to worry.

I would like AI to pan out, but the more you think about it the more you realise it won't. Even if it works your life is now just meaningless actions in the smothering safety blanket of a machine god.
Reading a thinner book

MaxTheFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 11:27:54 am »

This won't be perfectly expressed because honestly I'm a bit ill. Nevertheless, its a order of magnitude beyond anything else in impact. Come on. People are going to worry.

I would like AI to pan out, but the more you think about it the more you realise it won't. Even if it works your life is now just meaningless actions in the smothering safety blanket of a machine god.
This has been said about anything life-changing. Plato said writing would end civilization because it would make people forgetful because they wouldn't have to remember oral tradition.

Life was always quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things. AI control won't make it any less meaningless. Like I said, alarmism. This happened many times before whenever some sort of society-changing advancement has appeared, from writing to cars to computers. And every time the skeptics were wrong. I don't believe this is any different. Look at the lukewarm response to your post and realize you're fighting windmills.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2021, 11:39:29 am »

AI isn't currently doing anything very important, and I don't think it's gonna start in the next three years.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2021, 11:46:17 am »

Life was always quite meaningless in the grand scheme of things. AI control won't make it any less meaningless.

Theres a difference between in your face, clear, Minecraft meaninglessness and meaninglessness when your feeling down and a little objective.

AI isn't currently doing anything very important, and I don't think it's gonna start in the next three years.

Then look at the tech in the OP and realise it has literally gotten a order of magnitude better year on year.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2021, 11:49:10 am by Novel Scoops »
Reading a thinner book

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2021, 01:54:24 pm »

Perhaps Novel Scoops has been AI the entire time!
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: [1] 2 3 4