Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Bay12 NetBattlers: The S-Files  (Read 16428 times)

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
  • Pulls the strings and makes them ring.
    • View Profile
Bay12 NetBattlers: The S-Files
« on: October 27, 2021, 07:27:33 pm »

Bay12 NetBattlers

The sun had slipped just below the horizon when Thomas dropped everyone off at the foothills of Mount Cyllene, promising to return in a couple of hours or after being called. A rock slide had recently tumbled down the mountain and Titania wanted to investigate in case it had uncovered a hidden tomb or shrine. With the Kytheran Rangers constantly patrolling the group had to move by the light of the moon and stars but the darkness also offered them protection whenever the whine of electric bikes grew louder. The crags of Mount Cyllene had plenty of places to hide and wait for the Rangers to pass before the group continued their trek. If it wasn't for the danger of being caught it would have been a lovely hike. It was a pleasantly cool spring evening and the city of Kythera glittered in the darkness below them, offering a wonderful view of the city and sea for those who wanted to look back and admire it.

After over an hour of trudging in silence, the group finally reached the rockslide. Titania glanced around and carefully listened for the whine of electric engines before pulling out a flashlight to better see by. An assortment of brown and dark boulders lay at the bottom of a valley, and even in the meagre light of Titania's flashlight the path that they took down the mountain was obvious from the gouges torn out of the rock. "Be careful everyone," she whispered, "You don't want to slip and break something. Let's start near the top of the rock pile and work our way up. Let me know if you manage to find anything. I'll keep an eye out for the rangers. They might swing around on patrol."

Even with Titania's expectation she did not think that the group would find something in less than ten minutes in the valley. A small hole a few meters above the valley floor was discovered to lead to a chamber dug into the side of the mountain. Whoever had made it must have disguised their work well for it to remain undiscovered for so long, but the rockslide had shorn off a corner of the chamber and so exposed it. Sticking a flashlight through would light up its interior, revealing an Antikytheran tomb. Murals covered the walls, depicting the usual subjects. Friends and family morning over those who had passed. Semele standing watch over her departed worshippers. Menippe and Metioche welcoming the dead to their realm. Even those who hadn't brushed up on Antikytheran artwork would probably recognize the subjects from experience, even if they didn't know exactly who they were. On the furthest wall were several small alcoves for the ashes of the dead, but most of them were empty. One alcove near the top had an urn in it, while the topmost alcove was unusually covered by a bronze gate. Its bars were thick and its hinges very heavy and an Antikytheran electronic lock was firmly attached, though obviously lacking power after the passage of centuries.

As with every Antikytheran tomb, a server cube sat in the middle of the chamber, covered in dust and similarly lacking power. It was made out of brown, Cyllenan stone and strips of cloudy, ancient glass and was waist high. The prongs sticking out of its top were ports for ancient PETs and it had connections at its base for power. Typically the server cube would hold information about those interned in the tomb, but it was entirely possible that it controlled the electronic lock as well. Titania had brought a battery and the adapters needed to power the cube and access it with modern devices, assuming she could get to it.

The hole that the rockslide had made wasn't very large, just barely enough for someone to squeeze through. "Did anyone bring a shovel or something else we could use to dig?" Titania asks, surveying the tomb. "I think that the bottom is mostly rubble but moving it by hand is going to be a pain. Or maybe someone can squeeze through it? It might be a little dangerous, but I do have extension cords. We just need one person inside to attach the cords and look for artifacts."

Spotlight:
Damian Lowell/ShroomMan.EXE
Kauko Lehtonen/WindKnight.EXE
Lumi Lehtonen/Snowman.EXE
-/Score.EXE

Spoiler: NetOp Status (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Navi Status (click to show/hide)

Background Lore Dump

NetBattlers is an unofficial Megaman BattleNetwork RPG made by Merry Mancer Games. The players for Bay12 NetBattlers has already been decided so applications are not needed.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2022, 10:06:47 am by USEC_OFFICER »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12 NetBattlers: An Unlikely Tomb
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 10:52:15 am »

Kauko had trouble staying quiet, but on a night like this, it was necessary. He had spent most of the trip looking up at the bare mountain peak, sparing few glances for the island he loved. Kauko had decided if he was going to get out of here, he needed to cut some ties...it would hurt less, when he left. His mind spun plots instead. This was first job, for one, and he wanted to show that this plan could work out, his plan. It was important tonight went off without a hitch. He also supposed he wanted to impress Titania too for...reasons. He figured that meant he should take the lead.

"...Rock might still be loose, and digging is noisy. Moonlights wasting. Let's get this over with-Lumi, you're the best one of to fit down in there...but, I'm better with tech, so it'll have to be me. Damian, please give me a hand, will you?"

Kauko tried hard to not think of Damian as 'spare muscle', but he didn't know him well enough not to. He owed the man a great deal, however. Their bartering over the years had mirrored both of their developments as they attended the same year of school. Damian had grown like an oak on fresh air and sun, and gone to throwing rubber balls around-Kauko had grown like a skinny weed on the glow of computer screens. They couldn't be more different, but PETS and NAVI's gave them common cause-his finding Score was something that effectively didn't have a price. Combat NAVI's were way too valuable to sell.

So he had offered Damian a job. Hoping that the enticement of potential riches-the dream of potential-was worth something to him. As it turned out, it did.

Kauko had indeed, something of a rep as a good coder. You could bring him things to decrypt and problems to solve and he'd give you fair price. It started out with packs of Buster-Gum and Chocottaurs (both of which were still a guilty pleasure of his) for Chip Codes to the Local NumberMan, and how to game the chip trader machines in various shops to give you the chips you wanted-his old Navi, SplashWoman, had considered all that far too easy. She had always pushed him to do more, take risks. So by second year he had begun some low level netbattles and chip trading-people brought him things, was all. He had briefly run a 'OVO' (operator vs operator) fighting club that was shut down by the School Admins after a NAVI nearly got deleted (by SplashWoman, as it turned out). In his third year he played with virus breeding and made some...mistakes...some of which were still running around and causing trouble. By his fourth year he could unlock most standard decryption keys, and in fact, had created his own very simple one-it was least one security he would always know how to bypass. On the fifth year he had begin to make his first expeditions to the Outflow...

But the world just got bigger and bigger, and he had realized he was a very small fish in a very big sea pretty early on. Which was why he needed to do what he was doing now...he had to keep up. Things changed so fast! Already there were younger kids than him that seemed to have net-tricks he had never even thought of, secrets that he had given up on finding. A lot of them were outsiders who moved in and had a lot more zenny to throw around. Some of them had just been sneakier than him, he guessed. He was hardly the best coder on the island. Not yet, anyway.

He couldn't get complacent. He had to push himself. Like SplashWoman would have, he supposed, wanted. There would have been a time he wasn't even sure if Navis could want things...

Kauko was tall at 6ft and a spare zenny, but like his sister, skinny as a rail. He was sure he could snake his way down in there and get everyone connected.

He looked down to his oddly bulky PET, the soft whirling of dual-gear system producing more heat than would be usual. He was sure he had accounted for it, but...

"WindKnight, Score, are you ready? We'll be going in hot-no idea whats on the other side."

Spoiler: Windknights PET (click to show/hide)
Quote from: WindKnight.Exe
I eagerly await setting foot on a new land. Just be...careful. Your injuries do not heal as readily as mine!
Hey, the swelling went down, right? An exploding PET could have been a lot worse. I've installed some systems that should help with the overheating issue...how's the climate in there?
The night remains cool and stormy. I will inform you of any...how do you put it? 'Electro-Metaphorical Data Anomalies'!

Quote from: Score.Exe
"Score? Come in! Are you getting my signal clearly?"

Action: Kauko tries to wiggle down the hole and set up the battery!
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:14:59 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
  • A knight, returned from a journey weary and long
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 12:35:27 pm »

Quote from: Score.EXE
"Loud and clear, Lehtonen-sama. No communication abnormalities detected."
The Navi nodded despite it being unlikely that Kauko was watching her display. She was eager for the chance to fight again; her system would probably never be the same as it once was, but she was ready for combat once more.
Spoiler: Score's PET (click to show/hide)
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 03:10:18 pm »

Windknight thought a moment, already growing eager for adventure. Always the moments before a battle, restless even in their old age...they considered what to  do....

One of the rarer aspects of the current PET they inhabited was a 'neighbor'. Score was in fact, within this same 'device' and they could communicate, though Kauko often cautioned such communication was not secure. It wasn't to say they spoke much anyway-they hadn't known each other all that long, and both of them shared a professionalism in battle the precluded some casual banter. But WindKnight has seen a spark of nobility in her...they had wondered what she thought when looking into the window into their world, this small stone home...

Not overthinking the gesture, thinking of a small kindness, and interested at how they would respond. WindKnight took something small and treasured, and placed it in the small box.

A few moments later, Score found her 'mailbox' chiming. Inside was a sunflower.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 04:57:31 pm »

Score glanced down at her "PET." It notified her that something larger than text had arrived, and was waiting to be received in the box mounted just inside the door. She looked back at the scattered files, resisting the urge to let out a sigh, before she moved to open it up. The small splash of color wasn't something she'd expected, and thus she wasn't certain how to reply. Picking it up, the Navi stared at it for a few moments before placing it in a small pot next to her bed. Perhaps I should request a window. She also didn't know what practical purpose it served, if any. It wasn't something that would help her prepare for battle, or augment her woefully inadequate navigation and code-cracking routines.

After another few seconds of looking at the small thing, the only real source of color in her drab lodgings other than Score herself and the occasional objects she summoned in the course of testing, she wrote a reply to her companion.
Quote from: Mail
Sender: Score.EXE
Recipient: WindKnight.EXE
Subject: Sunflower?

I thank you for the gift. What should I do to care for it?
GM of Trespassers V2.
If you like my work, consider becoming a patron. (Since apparently people think this is a requirement: no, my game(s) are free to play and always will be.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 08:18:22 pm »

WindKnight whipped out a Quill pen, dipped it an ink pot, and wrote a letter back.

Quote from: Mail
Sender: Ser WindKnight
Recipient: Lady Score
Subject: Sunflower!

The honor is, as ever, my own.

The flower only requires sunlight and water to live. The former is provided as long as Kauko carries the PET under the open sky of his world. The latter will require a spell, or program, I am sending you the incantation to. It will allow you to produce a device in your pet that makes small amounts of water from a source of your choosing, such as a simple faucet, but the designs are up to you. I prefer a shishi-odoshi and a small basin when I am, for lack of better word, gardening. The sound comforts me.

It will require a little care, but know it will be somewhat unpredictable like a living thing. It may perish without cause despite your best efforts, or cling tenaciously to life for no apparent reason. As this is the natural way of the world, I find comfort in it as well.

I hope it will bring you comfort as well.

SeriousConcentrate

• Bay Watcher
  • The Hollow Street Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2021, 01:42:12 am »

"I'll go in too," Lumi said, glancing at Titania. "Damian can help you keep a watch up here, and I can help big bro with setting up things inside. And don't you argue, Kauko, we both know I can climb up to that alcove better'n you can, and you can get it open. It just makes sense for it to be both of us."
Action: Lumi follows Kauko into the hole to help out.

Snowman waited inside his terminal. His personal quarters consisted only of a vast bamboo forest in a night mostly clear of cloud cover save for a perpetual light snowfall, yet somehow the snow on the ground never wavered from a uniform height of two inches deep. Currently he was sitting cross-legged and cleaning his rifle, ready and eager for whatever strange environment Lumi would send him into. He'd never been in an ancient netscape before - abandoned, partially overwritten, and half-deleted, sure, but never one that predated the current civilization. That meant not only obstacles he had never seen before, but potentially undiscovered viruses to hunt down as well. Maybe he'd ask Lumi to give him a little hunting lodge to display some trophies if he bagged any good ones.
SerCon Shorts: This Is How You Do It - Twenty-three one minute or less videos of random stupidity in AC:U, Bloodborne, DS2:SotFS, Salt & Sanctuary, and The Witcher 3.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2021, 06:56:03 am »

"...Alright, but I'm going first. There might be some of those big fuzzy spiders..."

Kauko was pretty sure he was more afraid of the spiders than Lumi was (Despite them being non-poisonous and harmless to humans,  like most native animals on the island) but as big brother, certain formalities had to be observed.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 11:15:20 am by Dwarmin »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2021, 04:41:43 pm »

NetOps:

"...Rock might still be loose, and digging is noisy. Moonlights wasting. Let's get this over with-Lumi, you're the best one of to fit down in there...but, I'm better with tech, so it'll have to be me. Damian, please give me a hand, will you?"

"I'll go in too," Lumi said, glancing at Titania. "Damian can help you keep a watch up here, and I can help big bro with setting up things inside. And don't you argue, Kauko, we both know I can climb up to that alcove better'n you can, and you can get it open. It just makes sense for it to be both of us."

"Alright. Once you are inside I'll feed the cables through. You don''t want to get tangled up in them as you crawl through. Be careful, okay?" Titania gives the pair a thumbs up and then crouches next to the opening, skying the horizon for the light of Ranger bikes.

Action: Kauko tries to wiggle down the hole and set up the battery!

Easy Speed: [6] - Mixed Success.

Kauko might be skinny but his PET is not. He scrambles through the hole just fine but the device snags on something as he reaches the end. With an audible thud he falls down onto the floor, creating a small puff of smoke as he disturbs several centuries worth of dust. Thankfully he managed to avoid landing on anything important but he'll certainly have some bruises tomorrow.

-1 HP

Action: Lumi follows Kauko into the hole to help out.

Easy Speed: [3] [3] [5] - Mixed Success

Similarly, Lumi makes it just fine through the hole despite the close confines. However the rock she was holding onto slips free near the end and she similarly takes a fall down into the tomb. At least she has something soft to land on. Namely her brother.

-1 HP

Hearing the soft thuds, Titania comes running to investigate. The concern on her face quickly turns into annoyance once she sees that the two are okay, if bruised. "What did I just tell you? Ugh. Here's the cables. I hope you don't need me to come down there to help set things up." The cords were long enough to reach through the hole and Kauko needed no assistance to attach the battery and begin the boot sequence. The glass strips dimly lit up and pulsed in the familiar start-up pattern for what seemed like ages until it began to glow steadily, ready to be accessed.

Titania helpfully handed a cable to Damian. "Here. I don't think that the cube can handle five Navis at once. ShroomMan will probably be more useful than TrustyFriend."

Navis:

The Antikythera server was setup as expected. The striped yellow and green background offered some colour while being easy to process, and everything was lit up evenly to avoid calculating shadows. The jack-in point was an antechamber separated from the actual memorial by tall, grey walls. They were decorated with similar scenes as those in the tomb, though unlike their real-world counterparts they were noticeably pixelated. An opening in the middle of the wall offered access to the memorial, though another wall set back prevented anyone from looking straight into it. If there were any viruses about it would be a good place for an ambush as someone has to turn two blind corners.

Across the floor of the chamber were piles of small blue and green cubes, like data that had been broken up and improperly disposed of. The seven piles were haphazardly scattered upon the floor of the chamber, with the ears of a Prog sticking out of the one closest to the jack-in point. Their wiggling suggested that the Prog was active but unable to free itself from the heap of broken data.

However something else must have been buried in the piles. With a soft but noticeable clink, a few cubes fall off of the pile closest to the wall and furthest from the jack-in point. There was no wind in the server and the piles should be settled already, so something must have disturbed it. But what?

Spotlight:
-/Score.EXE

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2021, 05:33:23 pm »

Score squinted at the errant data. She hadn't quite engaged her combat mode yet, but the Navi was on guard immediately. "Did you see that?" Score's oversized blade was held pointing outward and to the side, keeping the edge lined up with her forward path.
>Unusual motion sighted. With your permission, I would like to investigate.
She was already moving toward the disturbed pile carefully, alert for threats.
GM of Trespassers V2.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2021, 06:45:50 pm »

Quote from: Kauko to Score
"...Engage at your discretion to secure the area, WindKnight will be arriving momentarily..."

Kauko almost always sent in Score first due to her greater durability. It was part of the reason she had survived in the first place...

A low poly tornado, not unlike the images on the walls, was forming where WindKnight would soon manifest, though this produced no tangible breeze in the windless tomb.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2021, 11:33:57 am by Dwarmin »

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2021, 03:50:34 pm »

She was already moving toward the disturbed pile carefully, alert for threats.

Several more cubes fall off of the pile as Score moves closer until, once she is a few paces away, an ancient mettaur rolls out of it with a spray of cubes. Little has changed between Antikytheran mettaurs and modern ones, though its helmet is more octagonal than circular due to its low polygon count and its yellow and green colours matches the ancient server's design. For a moment the mettaur looks up at Score and then turns back to the pile it rolled out of. Poking out of the pile is a chunk of mystery data, covered in cracks due to its age but still intact. At least for the moment, as the mettaur conjures a mattock and raises it over its head, preparing to bring it down and shatter the data.

Two more mettaurs rolls out of nearby piles and turn towards Score. Unlike their companion they seem more interested in fighting as they run towards the navi and conjure their own mattocks.

Spotlight:
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Mettaur A: Preparing to Mine Data (Aimed).
Mettaur B: Running towards Score.EXE.
Mettaur C: Running towards Score.EXE.

SirAston

• Bay Watcher
  • Mage Lord in a Lonely Storm
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 05:53:06 am »

Damian had been silent.

He is aware that he's not the smartest of the bunch, and really, he's only interested in the potential for making a relatively quick buck. He knows this is a historically-important place and that alone has value for most people, but not for him. Knowledge of the past doesn't help him with solving problems of the present, like making sure he's having three meals a day each month.

And thus, he remains silent as his two partners stumbled down the hole, watching desinterested while "digging for gold". As long as they're not hurt too much or as long as they didn't break anything valuable, no need to be in a hurry.

As he got offered a cable by Titania, he covertly stopped his current "archeological" activity and pulled out his PET. "Whatever you think is best, ma'am.", he dryly states as he jacks in.

---

ShroomMan.EXE was slumbering on a bed of mushrooms within the PET he inhabitated, said bed itself surrounded by a mushroom forest which is tended to by a few "living" walking mushrooms. Suddenly, the mushrooms forming the bed shift into a circle and a portal expands from within said circle. As ShroomMan falls through the portal, he knew it was time to wake up and get ready, for he is traveling through a data cable.

A similar circle of mushrooms begins to sprout from within the server, ShroomMan jumping out of the portal within the circle before it quickly closes just as he lands on his feet. "Humm, a new place", the Navi mumbles to himself as he looks around to evaluate the current situation.

Action: If successfully jacked-in, slot in AirShot to push Mettaur A away.

Chevaleresse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Patreon
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2021, 11:48:22 am »

A visor slid down over Score's eyes and two plates extended from the sides of her helmet to protect the lower half of her face.
>Viruses detected. Engaging.
Since she had the slight advantage of being sent in with BattleChips in anticipation of most of Kauko's focus being on his own Navi, Score engaged immediately. The combat Navi sprinted at the mettaur currently attempting to destroy the data, aiming a strike at it.
DashAttack on Mettaur A!
GM of Trespassers V2.

USEC_OFFICER

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 06:26:35 pm »

As he got offered a cable by Titania, he covertly stopped his current "archeological" activity and pulled out his PET. "Whatever you think is best, ma'am.", he dryly states as he jacks in.

Titania rolls her eyes at his comment but stays focused on the task at hand. "I'll keep an eye out for the Rangers." She shuffles her way up higher, doing her best to remain hidden while still keeping a good look out.

Action: If successfully jacked-in, slot in AirShot to push Mettaur A away.

1 Damage vs Normal Speed: [1] [6] - Mixed Success

Having jacked in with everyone else, ShroomMan was more than capable of lining up a shot with the mettaur. The virus lets out a beep of surprise as that blast of air hits it, pushing it away from the data and right up against the wall. However it looks unharmed, though quite angry with its furrowed eyes and rapid-fire beepings.

DashAttack on Mettaur A!

2 Damage vs Normal Speed: [1] [3] - 2 Damage

Unfortunately for the mettaur, its woes were not yet over. Score immediately rushes through the air and slams into the virus, smashing it against the wall far more violently than the airshot did. Violently enough for the mettaur to explode in a burst of sprites, leaving behind a spinning diamond of mystery data.

The other viruses let out a squeak at seeing their colleague deleted so quickly. That doesn't prevent them from raising their mattocks at Score however, seeing to get revenge. Or perhaps because they're mindless viruses and she's the biggest threat at the moment.

Spotlight Refreshed!

Spotlight:
-/Score.EXE

Threats:
Mettaur A [0/2]: Deleted.
Mettaur B [2/2]: Aiming Shockwave at Score.EXE.
Mettaur C [2/2]: Aiming Shockwave at Score.EXE.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13