Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Question about Goblins  (Read 2083 times)

RevLoki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Question about Goblins
« on: October 01, 2021, 01:09:42 am »

Hi all,

This question is a little spoiler-y, so don't read further if you don't want to be spoiled.

Okay then...

Since goblin civilizations seem to collapse after their demon lord dies (in one game, a 10k goblin civ fell to 1k in just 5 years), my question is what mechanically occurs that leads to this decline? Do the goblins lose their [IMMORTAL] tag, do they suddenly need to eat, or something else?

I am not savvy enough to go through the raw data and figure it out, and I was curious.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about Goblins
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2021, 02:14:39 am »

I haven't seen goblin civs decline after their master kicks the bucket. Someone else (typically a goblin) takes over as the leader and nothing much changes. Many powerful gobbo civs are do not have demonic overlords in the worlds I've seen.

You may have reversed the cause-and-effect, though, as one reason for gobbos to lose their leaders is being beaten in war, and the opponents are unlikely to stop the advance just because the enemy leader has been killed. Demons are very powerful fighters, so their involvement in war is likely to help the gobbos win battles.

RevLoki

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2021, 03:09:56 am »

You could be right, but in most of the games I have seen, the goblin civ declines significantly after loss of its demon lord. The decline that occurs seems steep to just be the loss of a legendary-everything warrior. So I wondered if anyone was aware if there were any mechanics to it, or if it is that the loss of a demon lord can be that devastating.

Mobbstar

• Bay Watcher
  • aka Mossbird
    • View Profile
    • my website
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2021, 05:59:14 am »

It could be that you observe a correlation correctly but the causation is different.  For example, if we assume there is a hostile force powerful enough to destroy the overlord somehow, then perhaps that same force destroys the rest of the goblins too?  Basically what Patrik said.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2021, 11:22:47 am »

You may have reversed the cause-and-effect, though, as one reason for gobbos to lose their leaders is being beaten in war, and the opponents are unlikely to stop the advance just because the enemy leader has been killed. Demons are very powerful fighters, so their involvement in war is likely to help the gobbos win battles.
Alternatively, the presence of the Demon leader might have been enough to deter other civilizations from declaring war (because they were afraid they would lose), but with its death they might think they have a better chance of winning.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Hans Lemurson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2021, 02:48:18 pm »

Do goblin civs always have a Demon Lord?
Foolprooof way to penetrate aquifers of unlimited depth.  (Make sure to import at least 10 stones for mechanisms)
Toughen Dwarves by dropping stuff on them.  (Nothing too heavy though, and make sure to wear armor.)
"Urist had a little lamb
whose feet tracked blighted soot.
And into every face he saw
his sooty foot he put."

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2021, 06:03:34 pm »

Initially, yes. That's the only way they can spawn in worldgen (well that and underworld breaches, but those are pretty rare except in longer-lived worlds). If you set number of demon species in advanced worldgen parameters to 0, that world won't have any goblins either.

In regards to the OP's query: could also just be the fact that goblins tend not to be exceptionally strong individually compared to dwarves or humans (basically just being green-skinned elves that can work with metal and stone), so without a demon lord to hide behind they become easy pickings for other civs.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2021, 09:56:41 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2021, 09:46:40 am »

There might be some internal fighting as Goblins murder each other for higher positions, though I think everyone else is right that they just become a better target for war after their head honcho dies.

Mechanically, goblins don't change - as in they don't lose their immortality or anything like that.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2021, 06:17:04 pm »

There might be some internal fighting as Goblins murder each other for higher positions, though I think everyone else is right that they just become a better target for war after their head honcho dies.

Mechanically, goblins don't change - as in they don't lose their immortality or anything like that.

Elves are the perfect military-strategy bloat race though due to their immortality and rigid social mobility, even despite the terrible grade of weapons they wield into battle on the back of additional animal reinforcements. Its also not uncommon to see goblins under modded settings also be greviously wounded, missing eyes, fingers, limbs and the like for their relative fragility in the face of enormous war enthusiasm as often old veterans will immigrate to a fortress being notably historical at all for not dying as chaff en-masse.

I'm pretty hyped for eventual DF assassinations, as destroying clowns can be circumnaviagated by eventual team-ups of nations assailing the obvious evil threat, but immortal warlords are much more substantial targets because right now there isn't really anything distinguishable other than staying in the role for a long time. Normally i throw goblins a friend to lean on as a buff, simply because [BABY_SNATCHER] is just a big dogpile without deep risen factions, its funny to see the reverse dogpile too, or babysnatcher mercenaries come in to avert the 'Order-Tide' problem vanilla df has at the moment.

Initially, yes. That's the only way they can spawn in worldgen (well that and underworld breaches, but those are pretty rare except in longer-lived worlds). If you set number of demon species in advanced worldgen parameters to 0, that world won't have any goblins either.

In regards to the OP's query: could also just be the fact that goblins tend not to be exceptionally strong individually compared to dwarves or humans (basically just being green-skinned elves that can work with metal and stone), so without a demon lord to hide behind they become easy pickings for other civs.

Demonless underground breaches don't strictly stop goblins from emerging, they will just be a native army (since without these, the bottom of the world is full of [EVIL] races within civs aka. goblins on vanilla) and set up that civ's dark-fort government afterwards in the occupied fort if they win, but on the flipside you can fully customize the master position from the start without the awkward inheritance from the spire founding demon. Makes for nice emergent "hidden" civ threat mechanics when it doesn't fluff up (which there is a high risk of happening, like spawning in a mountain-hall and being boxed in by a full strength dwarf-fort to the outside)

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2021, 04:22:25 pm »

From what I've seen the three biggest advantages for gobbos is

-Demon master being able to win almost any conflict it is in
-Immortality contributing to crazy population growth
-The passivity of all other races

I've seen plenty of goblin civilizations continue to thrive after the master dies, but the ones I have seen die is usually because at this point they started wars with every single civilization around them, and without the master to camp the capital and basically auto-win every single possible conflict they can now be dealt with
Add that to the fact that they are constantly betraying each other and they can implode pretty easily if managed right

My favorite world's nemesis goblin empire actually ended up with over 200 in-game settlements and only hit its golden age AFTER its master died. The new goblin master led them on a long conquest and her administration was made up of goblins who were culturally dwarfish and so had no inclination to betray her. Ingenious

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2021, 06:08:02 pm »

My favorite world's nemesis goblin empire actually ended up with over 200 in-game settlements and only hit its golden age AFTER its master died. The new goblin master led them on a long conquest and her administration was made up of goblins who were culturally dwarfish and so had no inclination to betray her. Ingenious
Varangian goblins