Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11

Author Topic: CYOCGTCG Preparatory School - Core Thread (Day 1: Mad Science Class)  (Read 5948 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Welcome to the world of CYOGTCG! (Or my ripof version of it.) Inert history blurb here.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

You are a student who has been chosen for a revolutionary program studying the effects of the SOUL on preteens. Through the efforts of the brilliant Doctor McGee Robotnik, a new generation of Soul Gazers has been created that will allow the manifestation of Decks far earlier than what is currently considered possible. Side effects include potential megalomania, weakened card creation, talking like anime characters, and random bouts of megalomania. As with any new technology, it must be tested. That's where you come in, looking to make your mark by starting early and take the world by storm.

Spoiler: Character Application (click to show/hide)

You find yourselves standing in a lab filled with strange machines, from the usual Jacab's Ladder, all the way to a bird in a glass enclosure for some reason.

"Welcome Students, I am DOCTOR ROBOTNIK! And you all have been chosen to participate in this grand experiment. Now, each of you stand in the capsule, and we'll get started on probing your SOUL for your deck themes."

~~~

Here are the standard CYOGTCG rules. Note that game events, most often card effects but occasionally a custom rule may be thrown in, that can subvert these rules in various ways. You don't need to memorize the rules immediately, but this post can serve as a reference guide when things are unclear.

Actual card creation will be handled in-game, and will be explained as needed.

Game Rules
1) You start off each game with 20 hearts, and 5 cards in your hand. For any given game, you and your opponent may decide to start with a different amount of any of those three things.
2) If you have 0 or less hearts, you lose.
3) At the start of each turn, you draw one card.
4) Unless stated otherwise, you can only play one card per turn.
5) Cards also have hearts. If they have 0 hearts, they go to your discard pile/graveyard, unless stated otherwise. If a card says it has attack power, it can only damage the player directly if they have no cards defending them.
6) If a card has zero hearts when you play it, it will be destroyed after it does its effect.
7) There is a kind of resource called Stars, and you start the game with 0 of them. Strong Cards cost Stars to play, and they can be gained with the effects of weak cards. This prevents your best cards from being played immediately. Cards may also have effects that cost stars to use. (Stars carry over between turns)
8) The player who goes second starts the game with one star.
9) You can also make up your own resources for your cards if you really want.
10) Cards cannot attack on the turn they are played unless otherwise stated, and can only attack once per turn unless otherwise stated. When a card attacks another card, both cards lose hearts equal to the other card's attack.
11) By default, if a card is face down it cannot be attacked. Cards may be attackable when face down, in which case this must be declared when playing the card.
12) Face Down cards cannot protect you from being attacked until it is flipped up. If a facedown card does something it will be flipped. There may be cards that can protect you while face down, this must be declared when playing the card.
13) The game will typically use the honor system, so players can randomize their own deck and draw cards without GM intervention. If you suspect someone is cheating, inform the GM. Its just sad if you feel the need to cheat in this game. For grudge matches, you can request the GM do all the random stuff.
14) Strive to avoid situations which will require a retcon. Those are a big pain to clean up.
15) In the event of a disagreement, the GM will decide what happens.
16) Don't be afraid to get creative with your deckbuilding!
17) If a card says it does something "At the end of each turn", this only means your own turns unless it specifically states otherwise.
18) At any point, you may choose to "refine" a card. This allows you to change the cards name(any effects referring directly to that card by name will be changed to match), picture(and token picture), and frame, as well as to condense effects that fall under a previously unknown keyword into a keyword.
19) For the sake of brevity when making effects, there will be a division between "spell" type cards (Events) and the "creature" type cards (Units). Spells will not have the stat boxes beyond Stars.

Relative card strength
A card that costs no stars to play would typically have a combined stat total of 5. (Example, 2 attack and 3 hearts). Useful effects will generally lower this, and detrimental effects can raise it. You can also make cards with no hearts which act like "Spells". Each star a card costs will typically raise its base stat total by 3 or 4. Very high star costs can have ridiculous effects.

Keywords
Keywords are, in essence, effects that are common enough to be condensed down into a single word or term.
Known Keywords:
None

[Duels]
Hikari Yagami, The Light vs Heartless Shadow.
Gary Shags vs Monster of the Day #1.
Hikari Yagami vs Lina Boucher, Light vs Snacks(Lunchtime Daze)
Gary Shags vs Sandy, Sand vs Beast(Lunchtime Daze)
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:53:41 pm by TricMagic »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Player/Students/Test Subjects

[NPC Students/Test Subjects]

[INPC]
Spoiler: DOCTOR ROBOTNIK (click to show/hide)

[Less Important NPCs]
Spoiler: Orbot (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kama, Resonating Soul (click to show/hide)

[Lost to the Shadow Realm]
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 09:32:12 am by TricMagic »

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile

Well you know I have to apply for this.

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(Sorry Supernerd, I just had deep and complex plans for this characters family.)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile

Name: Sandy
Deck Theme: Puppets
Hairstyle: long hair kept down
Other Information:
Family Information:

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Really? Nobody gonna play along with Supernerd?))

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((What do you mean? We made applications))

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

((Supernerd has kinda designed their character around being the twin brother of the first player who agrees.))

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

(If all else fails, I'll have NPCs.)

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile

Spoiler: Application (click to show/hide)

Worry no longer. I'm curious what you have in mind to differentiate this one Tric. Definitely curious. More CYOGTCG is always good. So I'm looking forward to being involved in both!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 08:25:25 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: CYOCGTCG Preparatory School - Core Thread (Testing in Progress)
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2021, 09:19:17 am »

One by one you file into the capsule, as it beeps, clucks, and it one case clanks while the good Doctor types and reads the data. Once it finishes, he hands each of you a pendant that reveals your deck theme, and a strange card.

"Now I'm sure you all are wondering what this is. Well wonder no longer! This is my own creation, the EV-Card. Unlock most other cards, this one will grow along with you, keeping up as you grow stronger! It also serves the purpose of allowing that pendant to read your SOUL and allow the creation of other cards. Though please note that if you lose the pendant you won't be able to Duel, so keep it safe."

"EV-Cards have some restrictions. First is that until you are of age to go to a normal school they must be in your deck, and you can't have any copies of it. This is to ensure stability. Now, just think of an image to imbue them with."

Most of you look around. But the good Doctor is the expert. [Note that the EV-Card has a minimum of 1 Heart. It cannot be a Spell. They also can't be given to others.]

*Card Creation
*Name:
*Image:
*Tag: Evolution
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:23:12 am by TricMagic »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2021, 09:30:35 am »

Partial Puppet
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 09:39:11 am by Naturegirl1999 »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2021, 09:32:00 am »

(/Name too please, edited that in.)

(4/8 done now.)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 10:42:38 am by TricMagic »

Failbird105

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2021, 11:11:13 am »

((Important question: will the name and image of the card also change, or just it's stats and effect?))
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11