Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Reign of King Arawn  (Read 20231 times)

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Celebration!
« Reply #270 on: August 20, 2021, 08:38:04 am »

a: What happens if the devilles in fact have a significant powerbase OUTSIDE of the council, with troops, mercenaries, dangerous connections, or assassins, and decide that maybe they don’t like being summarily fired en masse?
b: I’m not sure we have a usable source of revenue outside of Burt right now.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: August 20, 2021, 12:00:06 pm »

a: What happens if the devilles in fact have a significant powerbase OUTSIDE of the council, with troops, mercenaries, dangerous connections, or assassins, and decide that maybe they don’t like being summarily fired en masse?
b: I’m not sure we have a usable source of revenue outside of Burt right now.

a: Leaving them in power longer isn't ever going to improve that situation; as (previously) landless outsiders muscling in through the sheer power of Burt's fortune they are at their political weakest right now.

b: We passed her over earlier, but the one potential bride with a discernable, if small, income is Kamea the raider heir. Hear me out on this, we announce that we intend to marry her instead just as calmly as if we picked her off the Imperial list. Watch the fireworks and I'll bet we have excuse to relieve several De'Villes from their duties.

We can also say that it's contingent on her converting to Imperialism, of course, just like our mother did. I don't think Kamea is in the audience, so that'd stretch out the marriage negotiations somewhat if that's our plan.

Or announce any of the Mahallo brides, really, to stymie the De'Villes. I don't see how meeting crocogirl everyone in person makes a big difference since I believe Weirdsound has reliably summed upsides and downsides when presenting choices throughout the game. I fear waiting plays into the hands of those who would exploit a new, unsteady king.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: August 20, 2021, 12:25:42 pm »

a: Leaving them in power longer isn't ever going to improve that situation; as (previously) landless outsiders muscling in through the sheer power of Burt's fortune they are at their political weakest right now.

b: We passed her over earlier, but the one potential bride with a discernable, if small, income is Kamea the raider heir. Hear me out on this, we announce that we intend to marry her instead just as calmly as if we picked her off the Imperial list. Watch the fireworks and I'll bet we have excuse to relieve several De'Villes from their duties.

We can also say that it's contingent on her converting to Imperialism, of course, just like our mother did. I don't think Kamea is in the audience, so that'd stretch out the marriage negotiations somewhat if that's our plan.

Or announce any of the Mahallo brides, really, to stymie the De'Villes. I don't see how meeting crocogirl everyone in person makes a big difference since I believe Weirdsound has reliably summed upsides and downsides when presenting choices throughout the game. I fear waiting plays into the hands of those who would exploit a new, unsteady king.
a: This is just flatly untrue - they've just received a large amount of political power not simply through Burt's fortune, but through sliding in to fill the gap that opened up just recently as a result of Anne joining us on the hunt. This is something we are told explicitly in the text:
When Queen Anne abandoned her regency early to join you on the hunt, the De'Villes more or less took control of the Kingdom, and now they dominate your royal council.
This means that right now they are much stronger than at status quo, and we can't really keep accurate stock of what advantages they have gained during the time of the hunt, at least until we make the active effort to. They're not going to suddenly coalesce a total grip in the time it takes us to do the basic information-gathering since their strength is at least partially opportunistic, but assuming that we can just try to do whatever we want right off of the bat with the most powerful faction in the kingdom, directly after a spike in their power, completely blind, and that it is going to work in our favor is a MASSIVE assumption that I don't think it is reasonable to bank on - and it's CERTAINLY not strong enough for it to be more favorable to try to do this completely blind than taking an approach that involves information and caution.

b: You're mixing meta and in-universe logic together here in a way I think is potentially dangerous. We received SOME meta summations of what years of education would give us, which isn't something our character would be exactly detached from, as we were deciding lifestyle choices in what amounted to character creation. Not only did we NOT in fact receive a complete summary of the opportunities involved with each choice (the uncertainty of learning necromancy, for example, was revealed and developed as our education went on, not immediately presented with the option to send babby Arawn to the Lich's Court, and typically only our direct skill education choices were so straightforward). The details we received on our non-education choices were more thorough, but the information that we received there stemmed directly from the information that Arawn could access or infer in-character. He had been in the court for his whole life, had several deep connections within the court, and had developed relevant skills to the degree that it made sense for him to have a fair idea of what was going on, especially when people like Vishnu were going out of their way to expressly explain the consequences of situations like the Naj Hochet situation. This situation is NOT the same - the locale and people in question are unfamiliar, and the people introducing the potential brides don't actually know the brides very well (ESPECIALLY in the case of the Imperial brides - a little less so with the druids, but I've explained why I want to meet Haila), so the information is limited because IC there just isn't as much access to it. You can't assume that Weird is giving us all of the information OOC when it is being presented to our character, because our character does not know all of the information. Even with Allana, so far, we've learned things that we hadn't learned from the brief introduction - the fact that she's batshit aggro against elves, for instance.

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: August 20, 2021, 12:42:45 pm »

I say marry Marion I know some people want to keep holding off and would rather marry a nonimperial but I really dont see what would be wrong with marrying Marion she has a great prophesy related to her and marrying her would get us in good terms with quiet a decent amount of holymen/clergy as well as the church threw the simple act of actually listening to them for once. If we keep trying to hold off or making excuses not to marry I fear the consequences.  (Also be aware that even if we do hold off the church and our current council is still going to get super pissed off if we marry a nonimperial)

Also straight up trying to execute/remove the council all at once with direct involvement then marrying a nonimperial to rub salt in the wound is absolutely stupid and will almost certainty piss off pretty much the entire imperial world which if we should then proceed to survive the hell storm that will follow will be a absolute miracle so -1 to any suggestion related to that.

Also assuming their isn't anyone outside our kingdom who would like to see De'Villes stay in psudopower for some reason or another is quiet a dangerous assumption to make and if a single one of the De'Villes catches on to our intentions and flees to raise a revolt we may be screwed they are extremely racist and blinded by it but I dont think all of them are exactly morons. (except our spymaster absolute brainlet)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 12:51:39 pm by Fluffe9911 »

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: August 20, 2021, 01:59:57 pm »

Another issue I'm not sure anyone's touched on- the De Villes are not merely arbitrarily filling The Slots of Power and gosh if we could get rid of them that could be OUR power. They are powerful and wealthy individuals Doing Stuff in our kingdom, and at the moment fervently supporting our rule. This means attempting to remove them carries a great deal of potential cost not only in the sense of backlash, but also just in flat removal or complication of all the good things they were doing for us and our holdings.

For an analogy, see every other group we'd like to get in good with. Suppose we snub the Druids. What happens? Well, they might rebel or plot against us or whatever... but they're also just not gonna give us stuff. That's bad. Our motivation for most of what we're doing is attempting to bring people on board, rather than fear of what they'll do if we don't. The De Villes are considerably smaller and more densely powerful (and obnoxious, and...) than most of our current Groups of Interest, but the basic principle is the same.

We want them working for us. Destroying or sidelining them might be necessary if that's not gonna work out well, but it's a loss all the same.

(the uncertainty of learning necromancy, for example, was revealed and developed as our education went on, not immediately presented with the option to send babby Arawn to the Lich's Court, and typically only our direct skill education choices were so straightforward)
I agree with your general assessment that a two-sentence blurb is not the whole of the matter (though I'd have gone for Aranna's introduction vs seeing her in action as the obvious example), but we were warned of this particular nuance right from the start:

Although he jealously guards the secrets of necromancy, his court is a popular place for young nobles to learn and socialize
We knew (or I hope we knew) that necromancy was a long shot at the beginning, it was just a few of the reasons why that we learned along the way.

I know some people want to keep holding off and would rather marry a nonimperial but I really dont see what would be wrong with marrying Marion
Opportunity cost. I like Marion, but I like 17 foot long Frontier River Crocodiles and ranchers and hunters and druids as well. I'm generally in agreement with PM that we should get a closer look at our major options before committing to one.

I agree we should get on with it soon, but I don't think a few more weeks/months of courtship will seriously impact anything. As you say, everyone's going to be happy/pissed based on who we choose, not when we choose them.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: August 20, 2021, 02:10:17 pm »

a: This is just flatly untrue - they've just received a large amount of political power not simply through Burt's fortune, but through sliding in to fill the gap that opened up just recently as a result of Anne joining us on the hunt. This is something we are told explicitly in the text:
When Queen Anne abandoned her regency early to join you on the hunt, the De'Villes more or less took control of the Kingdom, and now they dominate your royal council.
This means that right now they are much stronger than at status quo, and we can't really keep accurate stock of what advantages they have gained during the time of the hunt, at least until we make the active effort to. They're not going to suddenly coalesce a total grip in the time it takes us to do the basic information-gathering since their strength is at least partially opportunistic, but assuming that we can just try to do whatever we want right off of the bat with the most powerful faction in the kingdom, directly after a spike in their power, completely blind, and that it is going to work in our favor is a MASSIVE assumption that I don't think it is reasonable to bank on - and it's CERTAINLY not strong enough for it to be more favorable to try to do this completely blind than taking an approach that involves information and caution.
I don't think you understand the point. It is not that they have not just gained more power; it is that they will continue to gain more power until they are acted upon, so, right now, they are the weakest they can be expected to be for the foreseeable future, barring some catastrophe.

Another issue I'm not sure anyone's touched on- the De Villes are not merely arbitrarily filling The Slots of Power and gosh if we could get rid of them that could be OUR power. They are powerful and wealthy individuals Doing Stuff in our kingdom, and at the moment fervently supporting our rule. This means attempting to remove them carries a great deal of potential cost not only in the sense of backlash, but also just in flat removal or complication of all the good things they were doing for us and our holdings.
This is one of many reasons why I suggested carefully acquiring dirt on them and pruning back their power by coming up with good reasons to execute individuals and seize assets, yes. What you also seem to be ignoring, though, is that they are doing all those things and we cannot trust them, and in fact they are doing those things for their own benefit; I would rather see things not get done at all, in preference to that.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:20:18 pm by Maximum Spin »

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: August 20, 2021, 02:16:51 pm »

I agree we should get on with it soon, but I don't think a few more weeks/months of courtship will seriously impact anything. As you say, everyone's going to be happy/pissed based on who we choose, not when we choose them.
Well there is still kinda a time limit as well the longer we hold off the more generally disgruntled everyone will be and the more pressure there will be for us to make a choice already we also gotta keep coming up with excuses as to why each time which will probably become less and less effective as time goes on and the parties interested in us start getting more impatient/suspicious with/of our stalling

Ill keep my main vote the same but Ill tolerate one more stall should everyone want that (so +1 to Powder Miners marriage suggestion)

I agree a cabinet reshuffle at one point would be nice and would probably cause the least amount of conflict while still getting our kingdom mostly back
l
v
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 02:50:49 pm by Fluffe9911 »

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: August 20, 2021, 02:25:07 pm »

This seems pretty simple to me, get Andre the military brother married to either Marion or Juliette since she has military knowledge, so that he has imperial connections. We are King and this is the first time we get to meet with the court and council, why can’t he do a cabinet reshuffle, this is our land and our rule at first then the council consideration as second.

Anyways make Andre our Marshal, having an Imperial Wife should make the Deville understand this choice and that this is our military-focused brother, this should seems a logical choice except that he is intelligently challenged. Kaylee can become the spymaster I believe as well to keep the merchant husband in our connections, and make her spend some time training on espionage tactics. The Devilles can have the Steward and that other position, we have four out of seven being family members for council so we have majority, and the Deville still feel like they have politically impact, and there’s the wild side Bishop.

Things we should to do in the future:
-Look into the military and economic power of the Devilles in New Mahello

-Send a letter to Pennete, ask how she’s doing in the nameless city and a basic check up.

-Build a positive sibling relationship with our younger sister Anne II

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: August 20, 2021, 03:22:22 pm »

This seems pretty simple to me, get Andre the military brother married to either Marion or Juliette since she has military knowledge, so that he has imperial connections. We are King and this is the first time we get to meet with the court and council, why can’t he do a cabinet reshuffle, this is our land and our rule at first then the council consideration as second.

Anyways make Andre our Marshal, having an Imperial Wife should make the Deville understand this choice and that this is our military-focused brother, this should seems a logical choice except that he is intelligently challenged. Kaylee can become the spymaster I believe as well to keep the merchant husband in our connections, and make her spend some time training on espionage tactics. The Devilles can have the Steward and that other position, we have four out of seven being family members for council so we have majority, and the Deville still feel like they have politically impact, and there’s the wild side Bishop.
+1 in principle to the reshuffle

I'd like to keep Mathias, even if we replace him as spymaster. Seeing his reaction during the meeting leads me to think he may be reasonable, for a De'Ville, whereas Horton the steward is rather an ass. Any chance I can build support for shuffling Mathias and firing Horton?

I'm good with Kaylee for Spymaster.

I'm not 100% convinced on Andre as marshal. He's only 18, he won't have that much respect and I don't think he has command experience. In this one position, I wonder if it may be better to have a DeVille to "modernize" our army than to replace them. Though also I admit very dangerous if the army becomes loyal to them, which is a worry for which I have no great answer. I suppose Juliette would supplement Andre considerably if we get them married, although she is young as well in terms of high military command.

-Send a letter to Pennete, ask how she’s doing in the nameless city and a basic check up.

+1 to both
I'd like to include Alan, but he might run away screaming that we've come to murder him. Any approach we make there will have to be done gently.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: August 20, 2021, 04:20:42 pm »

+1 in principle to the reshuffle

I'd like to keep Mathias, even if we replace him as spymaster. Seeing his reaction during the meeting leads me to think he may be reasonable, for a De'Ville, whereas Horton the steward is rather an ass. Any chance I can build support for shuffling Mathias and firing Horton?
Definitely.
I'm good with Kaylee for Spymaster.
+1

I'm not 100% convinced on Andre as marshal. He's only 18, he won't have that much respect and I don't think he has command experience. In this one position, I wonder if it may be better to have a DeVille to "modernize" our army than to replace them. Though also I admit very dangerous if the army becomes loyal to them, which is a worry for which I have no great answer. I suppose Juliette would supplement Andre considerably if we get them married, although she is young as well in terms of high military command.
I agree that we should not make Andre marshal. We might make some effort to try to get someone from the necro-theme-park for that role, I think. I don't mean any of our teachers or whomever, as I'm sure they're all happier where they are - although it's a shame, because possibly-St.-Arawn would make a great one - but we could see about getting some new character sent over. I'm not comfortable with just any de'Ville as marshal for exactly the reason you point out - marshal is a high-trust position - but we might be able to select, say, the least bad among the clan if we demand some individual character profiles.

+1 to both
I'd like to include Alan, but he might run away screaming that we've come to murder him. Any approach we make there will have to be done gently.
+1, and don't forget to ask after the snek dude too, who I hope will become part of our court some day.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: August 20, 2021, 04:32:42 pm »

I don't think you understand the point. It is not that they have not just gained more power; it is that they will continue to gain more power until they are acted upon, so, right now, they are the weakest they can be expected to be for the foreseeable future, barring some catastrophe.
I understand the argument being made here very well - however, the argument is being made on a very particular assumption. The assumption is the following: the DeVilles, as far as we can know, will continue to gain power at a rate that is either more or less constant, or so unknown as to be essentially constant for any calculations that we can make for the future. This has to assume two things to be valid. Firstly, it has to assume that the DeVilles are more or less working in a vacuum - that the gaining of their power, absent us removing them, depends entirely or largely on the results of their own previous actions. At the current moment, their gain in power has just come off of external events, and there may be a large amount of volatility involved there. Secondly, it also has to assume that nobody is acting in regards to the DeVilles unless we remove them, which is most definitely not true - not only are we liable to push back on some or many of their actions even without or before removing them, but Arawn isn't the only person in the kingdom with interests in not seeing the DeVilles totally dominate - EVERYONE else is interested in this, and the DeVilles have to deal with that. Interests such as the druids are just as entrenched as the DeVilles are, and other interests are likely beyond their notice entirely.

A general problem though is that the "remove them now" option is entirely assuming things and is actively attempting to avoid gathering future information before acting based on those assumptions. If the people arguing in favor of removing them now are wrong and doing that has disastrous consequences that lead to massive destabilization, the consequences are FAR worse than if I'm wrong and we delay a couple of turns to get information on the DeVilles before acting against them and centralizing our grasp, and we're on the back foot but informed. It's a gamble that doesn't make any sense from an expected payoff point of view, based on assumptions that seem fragile to me.

We are King and (...) this is our land and our rule at first then the council consideration as second.
The number one issue is that this isn't really how monarchies actually work. Absolute monarchies with the power to flip off their most powerful nobles at will, in our history, are largely something that start peeking up around the 16th century and actually solidify into real existence in the 18th or so, because medieval monarchs just do not actually have the capacity to do whatever they want centrally. Monarchs depended on their vassals extensively to be able to administer their kingdom on even a basic level, and in many cases kings didn't even have real control of their supposed vassals. Politics in the golden age of the monarchy was overwhelmingly based around this balance between the king and the nobility - the king was every bit as beholden to the nobility as the other way around. I'm not sure if we have an outright feudal contract or not, but in terms of actually running the kingdom this still does appear to be the case here, and being the king does not inherently guarantee that whatever we say goes because of the simple fact that we can't do everything - or even most of the things - on our own. We're not even in a very strong position in a medieval monarchic context - what resources do we even have to make sure that our will is enforced?

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: August 20, 2021, 04:43:10 pm »

I understand the argument being made here very well - however, the argument is being made on a very particular assumption. The assumption is the following: the DeVilles, as far as we can know, will continue to gain power at a rate that is either more or less constant, or so unknown as to be essentially constant for any calculations that we can make for the future.
Sorry, this is just wrong. The only assumption is that the de'Ville's power gain is mostly monotonic - that, absent some external shock (including, potentially, us), they will not lose power of their own volition. This is not an unreasonable assumption. In particular, they don't have to gain more power at all - even if their power remains absolutely stagnant for the rest of eternity (unlikely), they are still the weakest they will ever be now (and will continue to be so).

Incidentally, Weirdsound, what do these council positions all actually do? Are you working (as I kind of assumed) off the Crusader Kings standard? I assumed so because the choice of names for the positions is otherwise totally ahistorical and senseless, but I'm not willing to assume that they are identical.

ETA: This:
The number one issue is that this isn't really how monarchies actually work. Absolute monarchies with the power to flip off their most powerful nobles at will, in our history, are largely something that start peeking up around the 16th century and actually solidify into real existence in the 18th or so, because medieval monarchs just do not actually have the capacity to do whatever they want centrally. Monarchs depended on their vassals extensively to be able to administer their kingdom on even a basic level, and in many cases kings didn't even have real control of their supposed vassals. Politics in the golden age of the monarchy was overwhelmingly based around this balance between the king and the nobility - the king was every bit as beholden to the nobility as the other way around. I'm not sure if we have an outright feudal contract or not, but in terms of actually running the kingdom this still does appear to be the case here, and being the king does not inherently guarantee that whatever we say goes because of the simple fact that we can't do everything - or even most of the things - on our own. We're not even in a very strong position in a medieval monarchic context - what resources do we even have to make sure that our will is enforced?
Is pretty much just Britain. We're not in Britain, we can't assume that the particular division of power that inhered in medieval Britain applies. The powers of kings were totally different in different places across Europe, throughout history, even before the middle ages; Tacitus mentions the Rugii and Lemovii living under absolute monarchs.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2021, 04:49:59 pm by Maximum Spin »

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: August 20, 2021, 05:03:18 pm »

I'm actually less familiar with the history of medieval Britain than that of medieval continental Europe and was keeping in mind the Holy Roman Empire, France, Spain, and Russia through different points in history as the primary inspirations for what I was saying there. The division of power between kings and the nobles under them applies under essentially all monarchies of any real size. You can have small absolute monarchies, to be fair, but New Mahallo comes out of a larger monarchy and inherits its structure, and sure as hell has never had Arawn be in a situation to become an absolute monarch in the first place.

Sorry, this is just wrong. The only assumption is that the de'Ville's power gain is mostly monotonic - that, absent some external shock (including, potentially, us), they will not lose power of their own volition. This is not an unreasonable assumption. In particular, they don't have to gain more power at all - even if their power remains absolutely stagnant for the rest of eternity (unlikely), they are still the weakest they will ever be now (and will continue to be so).
Er... this isn't a compelling argument for unseating the DeVilles at all - and, in fact, I'm pretty sure it's a completely separate argument from what mightymushroom was putting forwards. If your points of assumption are that A: the deVilles don't want to lose power and that B: external actors can act to make them lose power, then that is just a general rational behavior assumption set and would underpin pretty much any argument that anyone could make. This is separate from the argument mightymushroom was putting forwards that we can assume that the DeVilles will steadily gain power from here and that the reason we need to unseat them now is so that it's not much more difficult to do so later.

The primary point of disagreement here was on when we should be acting. I want to act in a couple of turns because I feel the cost of such an action without preparation and information is potentially disastrously high, though I agree the benefit of unseating the DeVilles at some point is very high - just not that it's a quick and easy action. Therefore, the difference between the argument you are presenting and the one mushroom presented is quite important. If all we're assuming here is that they won't lose power of their own volition absent external shocks, that actually helps my argument quite a bit - other external actors exist to give some of those shocks, we may be giving short-term shocks in the meantime, and ultimately I do seek to reap the benefits of unseating the DeVilles without running headfirst into unknown but potentially disastrous consequences.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: August 20, 2021, 05:23:50 pm »

This is one of many reasons why I suggested carefully acquiring dirt on them and pruning back their power by coming up with good reasons to execute individuals and seize assets, yes. What you also seem to be ignoring, though, is that they are doing all those things and we cannot trust them, and in fact they are doing those things for their own benefit; I would rather see things not get done at all, in preference to that.
I'm not ignoring it, I'm asserting that the manner in which and reasons why we cannot trust them are mostly longterm and benign. The De Villes want us to be very Imperial-y, snub Mahallo culture, and ignore orcs. The Druids want us to be very druidy. The Mahallo want us to be Mahallo-y. The Imperials want us to be Imperial and pious. Even our fanatically loyal family members want stuff, like Penette's potentially murderous obsession with beasts or Anders' descent into madness and power.

Who exactly do you think isn't doing things for their own reasons, and thus wouldn't be a good candidate for executing and seizing the assets of?

Bruh. Being married to an Imperial is not a good qualification to becoming Marshal. It's expected from the De Villes! That's like saying we'll replace a trusted member of their family with a follower of Imperial religion and expecting them to be cool with it.

I understand the argument being made here very well - however, the argument is being made on a very particular assumption. The assumption is the following: the DeVilles, as far as we can know, will continue to gain power at a rate that is either more or less constant, or so unknown as to be essentially constant for any calculations that we can make for the future.
You explicitly said otherwise, and your tone was certainly that we needed to deal with this growing cancer now rather than later:

It is not that they have not just gained more power; it is that they will continue to gain more power until they are acted upon, so, right now, they are the weakest they can be expected to be for the foreseeable future, barring some catastrophe.

That aside, I agree with PM's assertion that there are a lot of moving pieces in play. Assuming De'Ville power probably won't fluctuate wildly unless something big (like us) happens strikes me as reasonable. Assuming De'Ville power is eternal and unyielding does not strike me as reasonable.

Is pretty much just Britain. We're not in Britain, we can't assume that the particular division of power that inhered in medieval Britain applies. The powers of kings were totally different in different places across Europe, throughout history, even before the middle ages; Tacitus mentions the Rugii and Lemovii living under absolute monarchs.
I would agree that we can't make a lot of assumptions about how exactly the crown works, but we do have a lot of clues that this is a heavily decentralized system. For one thing, the explicit religion proscription against large, powerful realms ruled by a single monarch speaks to both underlying ideas about how power should work and generations of intentionally breaking apart powerful crowns. For another, the existence and influence of the De'Villes in the first place seems to suggest that it is possible for non-kings to become extremely powerful and influential; even if being in an impoverished and foreign land helps with that, you wouldn't expect hardliner Imperials to thrive at such a thing if it simply wasn't done elsewhere. Finally, we have the crusade- individual petty lords and even religious figures had enough muscle and initiative to challenge most of the monarchs in what was formerly a unified kingdom. That probably wouldn't happen under an absolute monarchy or the aftermath of such a system.

On top of that, heavily centralized systems like that tend to be shit anyway, so even if we had the option to strangle every threat to our power in its crib, we probably couldn't afford to without getting skullfucked by orcs.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: August 20, 2021, 05:40:16 pm »

I'm actually less familiar with the history of medieval Britain than that of medieval continental Europe and was keeping in mind the Holy Roman Empire, France, Spain, and Russia through different points in history as the primary inspirations for what I was saying there. The division of power between kings and the nobles under them applies under essentially all monarchies of any real size. You can have small absolute monarchies, to be fair, but New Mahallo comes out of a larger monarchy and inherits its structure, and sure as hell has never had Arawn be in a situation to become an absolute monarch in the first place.
Those places were all completely different, though. The HRE isn't even really relevant since it wasn't a unitary state - the individual German states, which had different power structures among them, are more important to the question of monarchical primacy than the often-figurehead position of the Emperor, whose powers were circumscribed precisely because he was not the ruler of most of the land. Spain and Russia didn't even exist as such until the 16th century; the monarch's powers in Castille were not even the same as the monarch's powers in (the predecessor states) Leon or Asturias or Galicia, much less in Aragon.

The primary point of disagreement here was on when we should be acting. I want to act in a couple of turns because I feel the cost of such an action without preparation and information is potentially disastrously high, though I agree the benefit of unseating the DeVilles at some point is very high - just not that it's a quick and easy action. Therefore, the difference between the argument you are presenting and the one mushroom presented is quite important. If all we're assuming here is that they won't lose power of their own volition absent external shocks, that actually helps my argument quite a bit - other external actors exist to give some of those shocks, we may be giving short-term shocks in the meantime, and ultimately I do seek to reap the benefits of unseating the DeVilles without running headfirst into unknown but potentially disastrous consequences.
If all you really mean to be arguing is that we should spend a little time - weeks, not months - getting to understand the political balance of the country before upending it, I do not think there is actually any substantive disagreement between the three of us. Certainly I did not interpret mightymushroom as saying, as you seem to have, that we need to behead them all by lunchtime tomorrow. However, we should start planning our upending immediately, and we should take opportunities to curtail their powers as they come, especially when those opportunities offer us plausible deniability. Your argument has given me and probably mightymushroom the impression that what you meant was "we should bide our time indefinitely in order to avoid upsetting the big scary bear" - in no small part because preliminary planning and information-gathering is exactly what we both want to do that you seem to be arguing against doing.

Who exactly do you think isn't doing things for their own reasons, and thus wouldn't be a good candidate for executing and seizing the assets of?
Why would my list of people to execute and foreclose upon have to have an end, just because it has an order?

You explicitly said otherwise, and your tone was certainly that we needed to deal with this growing cancer now rather than later:

It is not that they have not just gained more power; it is that they will continue to gain more power until they are acted upon, so, right now, they are the weakest they can be expected to be for the foreseeable future, barring some catastrophe.
I admit I phrased this badly and should more precisely have said "will not lose power until they are acted upon". However, quite frankly, I do suspect they will continue to gain more power, since they seem to be shrewd operators. I do not in any way claim that they will grow in power at a constant rate or will never experience plateaus, and I don't know how to help you if you got that impression, since none of the actual words I wrote necessitate it. On the other hand, I do think that they are a growing cancer we need to deal with now rather than later, before people get too used to de'Ville rule - but "now" doesn't mean "yesterday", just "promptly as opportunities arise and without distraction". I'm not recommending going off half-cocked either, and I don't know why you and Powder both seem to think I am given that I've tried to be quite clear about plans being medium- to long-term.

I would agree that we can't make a lot of assumptions about how exactly the crown works, but we do have a lot of clues that this is a heavily decentralized system. For one thing, the explicit religion proscription against large, powerful realms ruled by a single monarch speaks to both underlying ideas about how power should work and generations of intentionally breaking apart powerful crowns.
It does, but it doesn't necessarily speak to ideas about how powerful kings should be within their realms, as opposed to ideas about how far those realms should stretch. I take it the opposite way you seem to - smaller realms are usually more centralized, and the very fact that a monarch controlling a lot of land is seen as dangerously powerful could imply that monarchs are expected to have substantial immediate control over their land.
For another, the existence and influence of the De'Villes in the first place seems to suggest that it is possible for non-kings to become extremely powerful and influential; even if being in an impoverished and foreign land helps with that, you wouldn't expect hardliner Imperials to thrive at such a thing if it simply wasn't done elsewhere. Finally, we have the crusade- individual petty lords and even religious figures had enough muscle and initiative to challenge most of the monarchs in what was formerly a unified kingdom. That probably wouldn't happen under an absolute monarchy or the aftermath of such a system.

On top of that, heavily centralized systems like that tend to be shit anyway, so even if we had the option to strangle every threat to our power in its crib, we probably couldn't afford to without getting skullfucked by orcs.
I started to reply to this part, but then I stopped, because I realised we have totally different definitions of what we're talking about here. I'm not looking for an autocratic Tsardom (although I would call it a modern myth that such a centralized system is in some practical way inferior). What I want to know - and I'm not even saying anything about what I think the system IS, only that we don't have enough information yet - is whether this is a system where members of the court traditionally serve at the pleasure of the King, or vice versa. Both have existed in human history and several people, including you, are operating under the assumption that it's the latter.
Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 31