Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31

Author Topic: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Reign of King Arawn  (Read 20197 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: (SG) Petty Kingdom of New Mahallo: Minority
« Reply #105 on: August 14, 2021, 04:56:03 pm »

"Sir, do you intend to marry my sister?"
On the other hand, if we've grasped the wrong end of the stick and it's not like that between them, we should try to make friends. Maybe they're not all irredeemably obsessed with unnecessary cruelty, and this one can be convinced to get on board with our program of "measured cruelty as appropriate".

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 14, 2021, 05:13:06 pm »

Yeah I don't think Penteram dying would be a good outcome. He seems like a decent dude so far. I also think Penteram dying to the sand demon would be low probability since Penteram is an experienced hunter.
Max avatar size is 80x80

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 14, 2021, 05:49:29 pm »

These are more or less my thoughts. Scheming to kill King Penteram strikes me as the worst kind of opportunism, getting distracted by the how and forgetting if there's a decent why. I mean, he's literally our only ally and the brother we're least convinced is trying to murder us. Real shame if he had an accident...?

For a why:
Many think this stalemate is likely to last the rest of 49 year old Felix's and 47 year old Penteram's natural lives.

This conclusion to the war will likely cause hardships for New Mahallo. Prince Felix's blockade is also cutting off all trade with civilization beyond The Titan Canyons. In the short run, your merchants can make up most of their losses by taking money to help rich crusaders return home via dangerous and complicated routes that skirt the great desert, but should the standoff last for more than a few cool seasons that business will likely dry up.
Until something changes, our already meager economy is kaput. Without a north-south trade route through our land we'll be stuck with Mahalloan subsistence farming potentially for decades.

Penteram is perhaps kinder than the rest of our brother-kings (pending further investigation into certain plots back home) but I don't think he's our best bud. Anyhow I can't reach Felix. Also, technically Penteram should have been disinherited by the annulment of father's first marriage; the way Imperials see things his claim is not so valid as ours. I expect he'll bring the issue up when we see him. They aren't actively persecuting him because he's given aid and sanctuary to the crusade army.

Unrelated: We should encourage trapped crusaders in Titan's Canyon to not only settle down here, but then rally against the orcish menace. We could get motivated veteran soldiers in exchange for land we weren't using anyway. Maybe even found a holy order or something.

It was grandfather who cleared the orcs out of what is now our petty kingdom. Neither he nor father made much headway against the plateau with the advantages of a "full" kingdom. It sounds like a decent use for disgruntled soldiers, but I hope we're not expecting serious progress. (Nor against the elves in the other direction.) Realistically our only way out of this geographic dead end is through subterfuge to seize the unassailable fortress to our north no matter when we choose to do it. Or resigning ourselves to a truly petty kingship.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 14, 2021, 06:29:15 pm »

Quote from: Hex Votes
Yes - 8
No - 2

Quote from: Book Votes
Steal - 4
Purchase Copy - 7
Do not Acquire - 0

Quote from: Evie Votes
Marry You - 2
Marry Anders - 8
Marry Andre - 0
Do Not Marry - 0

Quote from: Hunt Votes
Yes - 8
No - 1

Who to Invite: IronyOwl's post got a bunch of +1s. Lets go with that. Hard to count split votes when people can vote for an open-ended number of hunting guests.
Preparations: IronyOwl and Mightymushroom with the suggestions. Minus the implication that Penette and Pier should murder Penteram.

As you consent to the hex, Matriarch Mire places a hand on you, and holds it there in silence for a few moments. A brief wave of cold passes over your body, and the deed is done. Later when changing your clothes you find runes etched into your own shoulder; Usually the terms of a hex appear plainly written in the caster's native language. You are not sure what the runes are; Perhaps the Matriarch is old enough that her native tongue is lost to the world, or perhaps she is so skilled at hex weaving she can publish her terms in the universal and lawless language of the raw arcane. Either way, you cannot read it, and thus have no choice to take Matriarch Mire on her word regarding the terms of the Taboo.

---

You tell Frigga to arrange Evie's marriage to your brother Anders. She nods.

Some time later you receive a letter from Andre that mentions Anders is to be wed to the daughter of a dead crusader Bishop. Apparently Anders is put off by the arrangement; Queen Regent Anne had promised him earlier that he might marry whomever he pleased, and to that end Anders was strongly considering taking a vow of celibacy to increase his standing among the Imperial Clergy, but some party mother refuses to name made her an offer including a dowry that she couldn't refuse. Luckily for your relationship with your brother, the letter suggests that nobody back home, least of all the author, has any idea of your roll in the arranged marriage.

The only person who seems to have put two and two together seems to be Evie herself, who one day approaches you out of the blue, thanks you 'for everything', and comments that you look good in a hood. She then quickly departs before you can strike up a conversation, leading you to believe that at the very least she understands that the circumstances behind her marriage are supposed to remain secret.

---

By the time the scribe you hired has finished transcribing Rites and Rituals of the 19 Demons it is too late into the cool season to safely send the scroll back home to Anders this year.

Luckily the Bloodstone Plateau does not mount a major raid during this downtime, and Anders seems satisfied with the delivery of his legally purchased gift. He replies with a letter that both expresses his gratitude and vents his frustration about affairs back home.

Apparently Anders has been involved in negotiations with the Bloodstone Plateau Fortress, and finds their leader to be frightening. His name is Korrag and he is a full blooded Orc who claims to have made it across the great desert with a vast knowledge of exotic magic. Anders does not doubt Korrag's claim of magical knowledge, but is more afraid of the Orc as a person. Apparently he has risen to undisputed leader of the Fortress having only immigrated there ten years ago. As part of his rise to power, Anders suspects Korrag as built himself an extensive spy network that extends even into New Mahallo; Korrag always seems to know exactly when the Mahallo raiders are away 'conducting business', and nasty rumors about prominent figures in government, including the one that you intend to assassinate Phillip and his children to avenge Vera, have been spreading like wildfire across Bride Price ever since the full blooded Orc came into power.

Anders claims to have met Korrag on a few occasions, and is very confident that the Orc has no intentions of being anything but a pillager and troublemaker in regards to your kingdom. He is currently pretending to entertain a peace deal in which one of his sons marries your youngest sister Anne, but insists the wedding take place when Anne reaches age 8, the Orcish age of maturity. Your brother insists that Korrag knows more than enough about Imperial human society to understand why this is unacceptable, but continues to demand the Orcish wedding date insisting that your mother is racist to insist otherwise.

---

You begin to prepare for the hunt, and the first thing you consider is your mount. Your Mahallo Centipede Snatcher Vera is bred for strength and toughness, meant to wrestle down prey, ignore their bites and stings, and allow you to get the kill. As a Sand Daemon would be far to big for a Dire Kangaroo Rat to tangle up or survive a hit from, it might be worth bringing a rat bred for speed. Sadly the Mahallo Centipede Snatcher is the fastest breed your company produces that happens to be large enough for a nearly full grown man to ride. In his prime, Arson would have been faster than Vera, but your old friend is now in his twilight years and has lost a step or two. You are debating if you want to bring your original pet along so he can come home to Bride Price with you afterward, but either way Arson will probably not factor into the hunt.

Nonetheless, you are sure Vera will impress anyway. You will have plenty of opportunities to sic her on appropriately sized prey during the journey. Even the mere act of riding Vera will speak to your abilities; Dire Kangaroo Rats require a specific skillset to ride, and the breeds large enough to ferry adults are few and far between. Your imperial contemporaries will almost surely be riding camels.

You ask Vishnu for any tips that might aid in either bringing a sand daemon down, or at the very least surviving an encounter. The three eyed elf frowns.

"Creatures that powerful are categorized into 'concepts' rather than 'species'. To make any assumptions about an individual Sand Daemon, aside from the fact that it is going to be large and attuned to the elemental magic of earth, would be folly. Some are dumb as bugs, others clever as men. Some might conjure small dust storms to hinder your progress, others could have the earth swallow your entire party with merely a thought."

Vishnu closes his third eye in though, before speaking again. "I can think of two specific pieces of advice for you. First, when in Sand Daemon territory, pick a landmark every day to meet up at should your party become scattered. If the fight goes poorly, and everyone doesn't die instantly, splitting up so it can't chase everyone is your best bet for survival. Second, every sand daemon I've ever seen or heard of depends on an exoskeleton for defense. A simple hex of brittleness could make the fight much easier. Of course you have to touch something to hex it, and some sand daemons may very well have some level of magic resistance, so I wouldn't plan an entire hunt around pulling that move off."

Pierre is happy to give you the general location of the Sand Daemon who killed his mother, and a few hints about fighting that particular specimen. It takes the form of a giant vinegaroon, and can conjure horse sized boulders to rain from the sky. It must be incredibly resistant to venom to survive the god slaying bite of an adult Naj Hochet, but it is not completely immune; The spot on its underbelly where it was bit is soft and withered, providing a weak spot for anyone suicidal enough to get underneath a giant creature they are trying to kill. 

Leaving Pierre, you turn to Penette to talk to about the Naj Hochet behind his back. She doesn't straight out confess to murdering a house mate to win Pierre's friendship, but does state she was looking for someone to teach her more about reptile husbandry and druidism, and took steps, to win the services of Pierre who as a reptile spirit could do both. You accept her answer, and tell her that you don't mind her staying in the Nameless City after you take the throne, but that since she is first in line for the throne of New Mahallo until you have children of your own, it would be nice if she put some effort into developing suitable contacts and manners, just in case. She nods in agreement. "I'll look into that, but hopefully I'll never need to be anything more than a warden of the beasts."

---

The day has come for you to say goodbye to the Nameless City. The party you are traveling with is fairly small to start. Your friends Keanu, Kane, and Kaylee are the only other experienced desert hunters present. Vishnu and Apollo, although too busy to come, have each sent four representatives to honor your invitation. All four of Vishnu's reps know how to navigate the desert even if hunting is not their forte. The people sent by Apollo seem more out of their element, but you know one of them, who goes by the name of Bradley, happens to be one of Apollo's apprentices in necromancy. You doubt he'd actually use that sort of magic in front of Imperials unless his life depended on it though.

Also along for the journey is a beautiful pale-skilled 'young' woman by the name of Maeve. Maeve has been sent by Matriarch Mire to serve as your private tutor in hexes and illusions once you return to Bride Price. The fact that an unwed King is traveling with such a pretty lady in his service may raise a few eyebrows, but as long as none of the Imperials figure out what the two completely entranced and otherwise useless young men she brings with her are for, nobody is likely to guess she is a vampire. Kane has 'selflessly' offered to pretend to be her husband and share her tent if you wish to take an extra step to remove suspicion from her.

---

After two weeks traveling through the desert you meet up with the main hunting party. Penteram's group consists of himself, two of his legitimate sons Louie and Roderick, his bastard Phillip, and a small handful of his favored advisors and underlings. Also present are 25 soldiers flying a banner that depicts a seven headed golden dragon, the Coat of Arms of The Titan Canyons. 25 more soldiers walk under the banner of the Skeletal Rider; Penteram has seemingly been kind enough to bring champions for you to command, although you note they appear to be Imperial rather than Mahallo and that their gear is identical to that which is carried by your brother's men. 'Your' champions are led by your mother Anne and your half brother Andre.

The first few weeks of the hunt are fun. The Imperials are content to roam the desert and see the sights for the first time by day, and drink heavily by night. But eventually Penteram is ready to take things seriously, and to your mild surprise, he calls you and Keanu into his tent for advice. "Where do we start looking for this thing?" He asks, "you guys know this desert better than I."

You consider your options.

Possible Hunting Grounds -
Godsbane Basin: A region deep in the heart of the desert where Pierre believes the Sand Daemon who killed his mother can be found. Your best bet if you actually want to hunt the intended prey.
The Lichdunes: The region around the Nameless City. You know you wont find any Sand Daemons here, but this is the place you are most familiar with, and thus best if you want to show off your skills to Penteram.
The Dustlands: Where the desert meets New Mahallo. A good pick if you want to be able to keep in touch with home and be in position to respond to emergencies there.
The Spirelands: A region of desert known for the harshest terrain and beasts. Also home to many ruins. A good pick if you want a memorable adventure without necessarily having to fight a Sand Daemon.

Also, is there anything you wish to discuss with any of the people on the trip with you? You have plenty of time for small talk OR important political discussions while you travel.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
  • this avatar is years irrelevant again oh god oh f-
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 14, 2021, 07:28:59 pm »

i want them fuckin magicky bits

Godsbane Basin

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 14, 2021, 07:34:48 pm »

Came across the desert, uses magic, employs espionage and misdirection. I have serious doubts this Korrag is an actual orc. I still think we'll have to crack the Titanlands eventually, but this guy should become priority #1.

Also, technically Penteram should have been disinherited by the annulment of father's first marriage; the way Imperials see things his claim is not so valid as ours. I expect he'll bring the issue up when we see him.
-nothing-
So apparently I misunderstood the situation either in legality or in Penteram's boldness. My bad, dude. If he's not saying anything, neither should we. Let Anne and Philip's marriage continue to be our working arrangement.

-----

The Spirelands
We can honestly say that there's no guarantee of meeting a sand daemon there, but there's plenty of other nasties so who knows?

Small talk with Mother, Philip, Penteram, and Andre.
It's almost impossible for political events not to fall into conversation for people who live in palaces, but let's not fret over it. The whole point of the outing is to get away for a time, right?

What do you guys think about letting Kane shack up with Maeve? Odds are he turns into a puppet but who will care? He might not be able to use dragon magic for us in the future, and Kaylee might be miffed too.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 14, 2021, 07:36:43 pm »

It doesn’t actually do much for us - I’m not actually THAT concerned about this sort of rumor enough to potentially blunt a combat mage asset, and Kane’s thinking is probably not that strategic

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 14, 2021, 07:56:10 pm »

Godsbasin, I mean, Godsbane Basin. I kind of like the snake dudes even if they're evil, and want to help them out. Do they even care about family and vengeance, though?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 14, 2021, 08:00:02 pm »

Either way, you cannot read it, and thus have no choice to take Matriarch Mire on her word regarding the terms of the Taboo.
Welp. Here's hoping the illusion vampire was telling the truth.

As part of his rise to power, Anders suspects Korrag as built himself an extensive spy network that extends even into New Mahallo; Korrag always seems to know exactly when the Mahallo raiders are away 'conducting business', and nasty rumors about prominent figures in government, including the one that you intend to assassinate Phillip and his children to avenge Vera, have been spreading like wildfire across Bride Price ever since the full blooded Orc came into power.
Apparently vampire alliance was the best idea. Very soon our vampires are going to find their traitors, and then drink them like cheap wine.

In his prime, Arson would have been faster than Vera, but your old friend is now in his twilight years and has lost a step or two. You are debating if you want to bring your original pet along so he can come home to Bride Price with you afterward, but either way Arson will probably not factor into the hunt.
I think the question here is less whether we want to bring him with us, and more whether he'd rather hang out with us or a harem of breeding rats in his retirement.

Leaving Pierre, you turn to Penette to talk to about the Naj Hochet behind his back. She doesn't straight out confess to murdering a house mate to win Pierre's friendship, but does state she was looking for someone to teach her more about reptile husbandry and druidism, and took steps, to win the services of Pierre who as a reptile spirit could do both. You accept her answer, and tell her that you don't mind her staying in the Nameless City after you take the throne, but that since she is first in line for the throne of New Mahallo until you have children of your own, it would be nice if she put some effort into developing suitable contacts and manners, just in case. She nods in agreement. "I'll look into that, but hopefully I'll never need to be anything more than a warden of the beasts."
She's gonna mother some half-man, half-beast horrors by the time we're through, I just know it.

What do you guys think about letting Kane shack up with Maeve? Odds are he turns into a puppet but who will care? He might not be able to use dragon magic for us in the future, and Kaylee might be miffed too.
It doesn’t actually do much for us - I’m not actually THAT concerned about this sort of rumor enough to potentially blunt a combat mage asset, and Kane’s thinking is probably not that strategic
Useless but harmless. She's not gonna enthrall one of our guys, nor is anyone going to be more impressed by "her husband" than the two simps she's already got. Kane just wants to score with a hot vampire chick, and letting him do so will probably result in exactly that and nothing else.

Godsbasin, I mean, Godsbane Basin. I kind of like the snake dudes even if they're evil, and want to help them out. Do they even care about family and vengeance, though?
Good question. They like malice, so vengeance is probably pretty nice? And a mother had four dependents at once, so most likely they care about family to some extent.

But yeah, no idea how thankful or whatever they'd be.

i want them fuckin magicky bits

Godsbane Basin
+1

Penteram wants a good hunt too, and this is a good chance to show off our usefulness in finding him big game.

I'm actually considerably less confident that actually finding the thing is going to end well, but I feel like we signed up for the big leagues and should act accordingly.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 14, 2021, 08:11:32 pm »

oh we might get our shit slapped
but we came here to hunt a damn sand daemon

Fluffe9911

• Bay Watcher
  • Such ‼Socks‼ Much Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 14, 2021, 08:49:56 pm »

Godsbane Basin We came here knowing we are likely to get our ass handed to us by a sand demon no point backing out now.

StrawBarrel

• Bay Watcher
  • I do not use social media regularly.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 15, 2021, 12:35:02 am »

Godsbane Basin

It's almost impossible for political events not to fall into conversation for people who live in palaces, but let's not fret over it. The whole point of the outing is to get away for a time, right?
+1

Have a group meeting with everyone every day about which landmark we should meet at in the event of disaster.
Just want to make sure we implement Vishnu’s advice. Ideally we would track down the Sand Daemon’s territory and lure it out for an ambush, but the Sand Daemon could pull a reverse uno.

Ask Andre if he has any marriage plans.
We unfortunately fumbled up Anders plans for being unmarried, so I guess we’ll try to get things more right with Andre.

Discuss with Maeve the viability and method of placing a hex of brittleness on a Sand Daemon.
Max avatar size is 80x80

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 15, 2021, 04:10:35 am »

Godsbane Basin

+1

Have a group meeting with everyone every day about which landmark we should meet at in the event of disaster.
Just want to make sure we implement Vishnu’s advice. Ideally we would track down the Sand Daemon’s territory and lure it out for an ambush, but the Sand Daemon could pull a reverse uno.

Ask Andre if he has any marriage plans.
We unfortunately fumbled up Anders plans for being unmarried, so I guess we’ll try to get things more right with Andre.

Discuss with Maeve the viability and method of placing a hex of brittleness on a Sand Daemon.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 15, 2021, 08:59:35 am »

I understood that Vishnu mentioned the hex of brittleness precisely because we had studied it in Hex & Illusion class. All we really need is a plan to get close, preferably without alarming Imperial xenophobes with the presence of ungodly foreign magic. If we meet up with THE Godsbane daemon, weakened in a previous scuffle, we have a good cover story.

Powder Miner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 15, 2021, 09:55:21 am »

There already is a weak spot - depending on the situation during the fight, I wonder if we may be best off using illusions to misguide those boulders.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 31