Me
- 3 (20%)
Traditional Gods
- 1 (6.7%)
Other
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19

Author Topic: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)  (Read 15768 times)

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2021, 08:12:25 pm »

On trees? I guess that makes sense. Now that I think about it there are some pine trees with leaves on them. I guess those must be vines? I'll try to collect them and see if I can make a bow. They've got five leaves and a couple of green berry things that don't look ripe yet. I hope they arn't poison ivy but I guess I can't really be picky if it is.

Fire tutorial was a big help! It took me the rest of the day to get it right, but I managed to get a fire going somehow. I'm exhausted and ready for my first night in wherever I am. Kinda sucks that the fire will die after I fall asleep but I guess the technique itself is a good lesson. Thanks to you guys we've finally made that first step in recreating civilization! My hat's off to you Prometheuses.

Just here to help you again, for the vines, remember the saying "leaves of three, let it be"?, you should apply that logic here, also the edges of the leaves are either smooth or coarsely toothed and the berries that it sometimes have are hard and white

Now for the fire, the best you could keep the fire going is by doing it by little, first add the tinder, then the kindling and finally the wood, rinse and repeat, the best tinder to use are dry leaves and bark, while the best kindling to use are twigs, sticks, tree branches and also dry leaves, the best wood to sustain a fire are hardwood, as they last longer and produce more heat

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 12, 2021, 07:57:11 pm »

Pulling out my own rib seems like a controversial issue. Poll up. I'll hang off on trying it until I get the overall consensus.

Cook them first, it’s safer and if they’re dead they won’t be able to dodge your teeth. Worms, arthropods, snails, etc are all good sources of protein, and will be easier to catch than squirrels/birds. About what to shape the clay into, just shape it into something that holds water, then make a lid for that container with small holes to hopefully filter out other things
Code: [Select]
Attempted schematic
(Since a rectangle is easier to do this with, I will assume it’s a rectangle, but a circular bowl will work too, any shape really so long as the
lid matches its container and the lid has holes for filtration
———-
l……l
l……l
l……l
l……l
———-
Each dot represents holes in the lid, the smaller the holes, the better, since we only want water to fall through. The clay will also need to be
hardened before an attempt at boiling the water inside is made, boiling water will kill any bacteria or other small organisms within the water.
First, you should make the container, someone mentioned earlier that clay can be red as well.
I’ll look up which shape would hold more, given the same wall height and area
I found a volume calculator, and the type of container that holds the most seems to be a shape like a bowl but with a flat bottom and a top radius bigger than the bottom one, like if a cone was flattened at the pointy end
Code: [Select]
\       /
 \     /
  \___/

I meant like...recipes and instructions for how to cook them. I've never made bugs on an open fire before. I'm getting my appetite back and this is seeming less and less horrifying compared to the alternative.

Don't I have to like set the clay on fire or something to harden it? Assuming I find it? I'll go try to collect some now.

I think I found some? It might just be mud. Its kinda grey. I'll start the collecting thing you told me earlier just in case.

Alright. I think I can handle that. With all the things I'm noting should I start working on some kind of map? ...How would I make a map?

Well, in order to make a map, you must first make paper, for that you need wood, it’s better to start its soft wood as they are not as tough as hard wood, then, find a way to break the wood into smaller pieces with something sharp, here, you are making a wood pulp, so don’t worry about make the pieces too small, then find shred the pieces to even smaller pieces and put them in some kind of container, along with water, mix the content in the container until it pulverized into a watery pulp, which should a consistency of a wet powder, then get yourself a natural bleach substitute (like tree oil) and them to the pulp to make paper, let it sit for a while for the bleach substitute to take effect, after that, Make yourself a some and of screen and put in he container different from the one that you made the pulp in, then put the pulp into the container, then pull out the screen and let it dry, if you have succeeded in this, lets move on to the map

To make a map, you have to determine the size of the area, so some exploring may be needed, then determine the land to water ratio, so see if there is any rivers or lakes around you, then think about much detail should this map have, after that, you grab the paper you have made and draw the basic outlines of the area around you, then draw any waterways resent in your area, then draw in details in your like mountains, trees, other stuff), after that, make color the map, if you want to, you could label the map, of course, it’s helpful if you have any info on the map, so make sure you add keys that identify the colors and symbols of the map, a scale that represents meters/kilometers is represented in a square inch or centimeter, a symbol (like a compass rose) that orients you in the map, and if necessary, the time and date of when you made this, hope this helps

...So how do I make a sharp thing to get wood? I can snap small sticks but I don't thing I can pulp wood with my bare hands. Unless that is how they do it I guess. And what is tree oil? Finally what am I going to use to draw on this map?

I remember that softwood is what wood from conifers are called, things like pine trees for example have softwood, someone working in wood shop told me this, I’m not en expert in it

Everything nearby is pine so I should have access to softwood then.

Make the beating on chest thing a routine.  It’s a confidence building exercise like you thought.  Then, examine yourself for anything out of the ordinary.  Your entire body.  Then search you’re phone and check for these two things:
  • cell service
  • any suspicious looking apps.
Then focus really heard and reach inside yourself and try to find some kind of magical power.

It does feel pretty good. I'll make it part of my morning routine. And do it whenever I have to eat bugs.

I don't see anything on my body that I wouldn't expect from sleeping under a pile of sticks. I'm getting pretty dirty from all this running around, digging in dirt, making fires, and bug collecting. I don't see any weird tracking collar or tattoo or anything else. Unless they put it on my forehead or somewhere else I can't see I guess.

I already checked my phone and I have no cell or internet service aside from this forum. I don't notice any suspicious looking apps that weren't there before.

Focusing really hard inside myself doesn't make anything particularly magical happen but I feel a bit calmer now. Another self-help thing?

On trees? I guess that makes sense. Now that I think about it there are some pine trees with leaves on them. I guess those must be vines? I'll try to collect them and see if I can make a bow. They've got five leaves and a couple of green berry things that don't look ripe yet. I hope they arn't poison ivy but I guess I can't really be picky if it is.

Fire tutorial was a big help! It took me the rest of the day to get it right, but I managed to get a fire going somehow. I'm exhausted and ready for my first night in wherever I am. Kinda sucks that the fire will die after I fall asleep but I guess the technique itself is a good lesson. Thanks to you guys we've finally made that first step in recreating civilization! My hat's off to you Prometheuses.

Just here to help you again, for the vines, remember the saying "leaves of three, let it be"?, you should apply that logic here, also the edges of the leaves are either smooth or coarsely toothed and the berries that it sometimes have are hard and white

Now for the fire, the best you could keep the fire going is by doing it by little, first add the tinder, then the kindling and finally the wood, rinse and repeat, the best tinder to use are dry leaves and bark, while the best kindling to use are twigs, sticks, tree branches and also dry leaves, the best wood to sustain a fire are hardwood, as they last longer and produce more heat

So small to big wood for the fire. I don't have any hardwood nearby but I'll try to remember that for later. I'm mostly worried about keeping the fire going when I'm not around, if I leave my little camp to do anything or go to sleep it seems to die down. There are tons of fallen branches around her so I'm at least good on that front.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 12, 2021, 10:18:36 pm »

Yes, putting the clay over the fire will harden it, I tried showing the shape as best I could without images because it needs to be shaped before being hsrdened. Can anyone who knows more about pottery tell me whether a pot whose bottom is made first then hardened then the wall then hardened is more durable than one where the bottom and wall is made in one go and hardened at once?

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 13, 2021, 07:15:53 am »

You don't hold the clay thing over the fire it has to be in the fire, it would be easier to make the bowl or whatever from the clay, let it dry then put it in a small pit and build the fire around it, then after a few hours of being in flames it should be good, but this might take several tries to get right.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 13, 2021, 11:05:29 am »

Thank you for corrections and more info. It’s been a while and I forgot how kilns worked

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 13, 2021, 12:35:47 pm »

Yes, putting the clay over the fire will harden it, I tried showing the shape as best I could without images because it needs to be shaped before being hsrdened. Can anyone who knows more about pottery tell me whether a pot whose bottom is made first then hardened then the wall then hardened is more durable than one where the bottom and wall is made in one go and hardened at once?
Less. The seam is a weak point.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 13, 2021, 12:54:12 pm »

Less. The seam is a weak point.
thanks

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 13, 2021, 02:04:44 pm »

get a sturdy stick.  practice with it.  if attacked, beat animal in eyes and nose. 
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 13, 2021, 02:54:43 pm »

You need to like explore this area bro, like go in direction call it North for an hour. Do this by counting in your head by counting to 60, 60 times, then go back. You can grab a stick and “scratch” trees in a specific way to know that your leaving a trail, use pebbles to leave a trail, whatever. Being stuck in this creek is boring

For all you know you may just be in an Forest reserve and you got here by getting too high and then we’re dropped off, idk man.

Secondly can we send images and can you read them, I doubt videos will work because they need a link to a different site

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2021, 12:04:12 am »

Seems like tearing out my rib is probably a "no" for now. Speaking of things that are painful for me I've had my breakfast. I almost throw up when I'm eating bugs, but I'm trying to hid them in the more and more berries I'm allowed to eat to mask their taste. Now I just need a way to hide their texture. Or more preferably something better to eat. The berries themselves are actually really good. Still no problems with them killing me. I've left some on the bushes as instructed and will look for more.

You don't hold the clay thing over the fire it has to be in the fire, it would be easier to make the bowl or whatever from the clay, let it dry then put it in a small pit and build the fire around it, then after a few hours of being in flames it should be good, but this might take several tries to get right.

Tried for the suggested shape. Got something...vaguely cup-shaped. Its more like a lump of maybe-clay with a fist-shaped indent in the middle. I'm probably not going to be this world's best potter, but I just need it to hold water right? If its worth making something better I might need some clay shaping advice. Otherwise I'll make some more and bring them to my camp to try the fire thing.

get a sturdy stick.  practice with it.  if attacked, beat animal in eyes and nose. 

We talked about getting something sharp and pointy earlier, but this seems like a great substitute until I figure out how! I picked out a nice walking-stick size thing that didn't break when I hit it against a tree. I feel confident that I can smash anything that is significantly smaller and weaker than me! As long as it is alone!

You need to like explore this area bro, like go in direction call it North for an hour. Do this by counting in your head by counting to 60, 60 times, then go back. You can grab a stick and “scratch” trees in a specific way to know that your leaving a trail, use pebbles to leave a trail, whatever. Being stuck in this creek is boring

For all you know you may just be in an Forest reserve and you got here by getting too high and then we’re dropped off, idk man.

Secondly can we send images and can you read them, I doubt videos will work because they need a link to a different site

I mentioned this earlier but is there any way I can get some shoes before I start walking miles and miles? I'm fine with traveling as far as I need to, I just don't know if it is a good idea to try that with bare feet.

I looked at some ISGs and their images still showed up. So I -think- images are fine. Don't ask me why.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2021, 12:42:40 am »

Those containers will work for now. Yes make more of them and make the fire pit to harden them, when they are hardened, you’ll be able to put the bugs and berries in the water inside and boil said water, cooking the bugs and berries in the process, making them softer and easier to digest, as well as killing any diseases any of them may have on or in them. As for sharpness, I heard of whetstones for sharpening rocks, but am not completely sure how it works. If you rub a rock against a different rock and one rock begins flaking, the one whose flakes are coming off is the one you’ll be able to shape. It will take a while though

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2021, 01:09:56 am »

I almost throw up when I'm eating bugs, but I'm trying to hid them in the more and more berries I'm allowed to eat to mask their taste.
I haven't been paying close attention, who told you to eat bugs? That's a terrible idea; they're fine (if certainly not to my taste) as a snack or delicacy but you will die if you try to use them as a staple. Nobody has ever survived on bugs, whoever told you to do that was stupid.

All right, I've been staying out of this thread because I know too much about this stuff and didn't want to make it too easy, but clearly somebody needs to take charge here! Take stock of your resources: list all the types of plants and trees you can identify in your immediate vicinity, and describe to me any that seem to be common around you that you can't identify. Then tell me about the animal populations you've observed.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2021, 05:04:25 am »

I mentioned this earlier but is there any way I can get some shoes before I start walking miles and miles? I'm fine with traveling as far as I need to, I just don't know if it is a good idea to try that with bare feet.
You don't need shoes, I don't wear the things and I'm fine.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2021, 08:34:09 am »

T pose to assert dominance

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 14, 2021, 08:39:45 am »

After that make clay bricks and create a simple oven.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 19