Me
- 3 (20%)
Traditional Gods
- 1 (6.7%)
Other
- 3 (20%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19

Author Topic: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)  (Read 15757 times)

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Restarting Civilization from Scratch- With the Help of a Forum (SG)
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2021, 10:57:07 pm »

While survival is obviously key, achieving the stated goal of restarting civilization is going to be impossible without at least two (and preferably a lot more) people.

Indeed, Which is why we are searching our surroundings. Hell, Maybe this is a fantasy world and we can just magic up a partner.

You mean like Adam and ewe?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2021, 11:02:38 pm »

I think he made it clear there are no man made things

About priority, continue focusing on survival. About the water, try finding living leaves, use the mud to try holding them together like a small bowl. Find more leaves, pike some small holes in them, put the holed leaves over the leaf bowl, then take your hands and cup them to collect water and dump it on the leaf strainer, the idea is that only water will fall through the small holes, collecting in the bowl of leaves, if you manage to find a curved strip of bark, use that for the bowl instead. Use a very thin stick or thorns to cut the holes in the leaf, the idea is to make a filter of some sort, it may be a crude one for now, but it should hopefully work, if you’re u sure, try finding more leaves to make even smaller holes, placing the larger holed ones above the smaller holed ones for more filtration layers, for now, try one filter layer and figure out if it caught anything and check the water in whatever container you find or make. Oh, you can make the container out of clay, silly me, that’d be easier than the mud leaf plan. Clay is very smooth when wet, it absorbs water very well, it is usually white or light gray and tends to be very cold. It’s easier to work with if you have short fingernails so you don’t scratch it while working. I hope this all makes sense, can other forumers help with compacting these? I think I got too wordy, I’m sorry.

Short version, clean water is important. Clay can be used to make a container and eventually a filter. Look for white/light gray material and feel it to make sure it ‘s smooth and easily shaped, that’s likely clay. Find as much as you can and keep it in the water in an area you can find it, if the creek is fast moving, dig a hole nearby, cup your hands with water and begin filling said hole to put the clay in. It needs to be wet for the best shaping, if it gets too dry, you won’t be able to shape it anymore

While survival is obviously key, achieving the stated goal of restarting civilization is going to be impossible without at least two (and preferably a lot more) people.

Indeed, Which is why we are searching our surroundings. Hell, Maybe this is a fantasy world and we can just magic up a partner.

((Ah, that famous story where God made sheeptaurs :) ))

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2021, 04:47:21 am »

Just because he hasn't found any doesn't mean there isn't man made stuff around.

Also some clay can be red.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2021, 06:54:21 am »

You mean like Adam and Eve?

Yeah.

For the berry’s, Check the size and shape of the leaves, along with the color. Stay away from berries that are white or yellow. They are most likely poisonous.

Also, For food, try to find things crickets and grasshoppers, things like that,Termites, ants, slugs, snails. earthworms, because it can be hard to actually capture an animal or catch a fish, but it's pretty easy to find insects. Just turn over a rock or a log and see what's living under there.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2021, 09:23:12 pm »

Them running away is good, that means they've seen humans before and know you're dangerous as fuck. If they hadn't seen humans before they'd be slightly curious if cautious. This means that either you just got randomly teleported into the woods and its still modern day, or that you've ended up in a time period where some sort of modern human exists. I mean modern as in Homo Sapiens not current year.

They could have gotten spooked by the chest pounding and shouting, but lets take the optimistic view for now.

Tinder is dry fibrous things like dead grass or other plants, bark that has been torn in very thin strips or dry rotten wood. I meant soft as in its dry but easily marked by fingernail and other things. You're doing it but you have to spin the stick around at speed and for a long time, you're creating enough friction to ignite it so it will take a while. If you can't find any tinder then a birds nest will do finely.

I've got some dead plants and bark, they seem much easier to get a hold of then birds nests. I'll keep trying to see if I get anywhere if I don't have anything else to do.

You should be able to tell the difference between moss and the kind of fluorescent green we're talking about. The rocks will have vaguely metallic veins of green and, well, coppery colored metal running through it. The green is from it rusting and should feel slightly soft and malleable. There isn't much to do with it at the moment other than collect it for future use so generally just leave it and try to remember where you saw it.

Alright. I think I can handle that. With all the things I'm noting should I start working on some kind of map? ...How would I make a map?

#3 isn't working out for me though. I can find some tiny sticks and soft wood (some of it was a little wet. That is probably why its soft I guess?) but I don't see any vines up here and don't really know where to look for them. I'm not really sure what tinder is or how to get it either. I tried to spin the little stick around like directed but it barely even got hot, I'm clearly not very good at this.

I have decided to do a little bit of research to help you out on this, for the vines, vines are typically found in plants which have a long stem, such as trees, so search for any trees and see if they have them, or if you found any man made structure, see if it has something similar to a stem and see if it has any vines, also, vines are found in positions close to the sun, so that it could get sunlight, so some amount of climbing may be necessary

As for tinder, tinder (not the dating app) according to Wikipedia, is a easily combustible material used to start a fire. Considering this, your best bet is probably something made of plant material, like twigs, leaves, grasses, bark, or if we are talking about man made things, something like paper, either way, these are probably the most common type of tinders you may find

In terms of the the fire not starting, I found a tutorial that goes something like this: create a hole in the ground (size depends on you), using a shovel, or in this case, your hands, then lined the hole with large rocks to help contain the fire, then place twigs and sticks (our preferred type of tinder) as platforms and then dry grass or leaves, now moving on to lighting the fire, you cut a “V” on flat piece of wood using a sharp object, then place bits of bark in the v shaped notch to catch ember, then find a round stick, place it in the notch while gently pushing down on the wood, then, if the wood start to spark, transfer it to the tinder pile and blow on it to create a fire, if you successfully did that, then gradually add more tinder and blow on it to create more heat, after that, create a square made of logs around the fire, stacked in two logs high preferably, and then construct a teepee shape in the middle of the square, and this is how you start a fire.

Hope this helps

On trees? I guess that makes sense. Now that I think about it there are some pine trees with leaves on them. I guess those must be vines? I'll try to collect them and see if I can make a bow. They've got five leaves and a couple of green berry things that don't look ripe yet. I hope they arn't poison ivy but I guess I can't really be picky if it is.

Fire tutorial was a big help! It took me the rest of the day to get it right, but I managed to get a fire going somehow. I'm exhausted and ready for my first night in wherever I am. Kinda sucks that the fire will die after I fall asleep but I guess the technique itself is a good lesson. Thanks to you guys we've finally made that first step in recreating civilization! My hat's off to you Prometheuses.

About priority, continue focusing on survival. About the water, try finding living leaves, use the mud to try holding them together like a small bowl. Find more leaves, pike some small holes in them, put the holed leaves over the leaf bowl, then take your hands and cup them to collect water and dump it on the leaf strainer, the idea is that only water will fall through the small holes, collecting in the bowl of leaves, if you manage to find a curved strip of bark, use that for the bowl instead. Use a very thin stick or thorns to cut the holes in the leaf, the idea is to make a filter of some sort, it may be a crude one for now, but it should hopefully work, if you’re u sure, try finding more leaves to make even smaller holes, placing the larger holed ones above the smaller holed ones for more filtration layers, for now, try one filter layer and figure out if it caught anything and check the water in whatever container you find or make. Oh, you can make the container out of clay, silly me, that’d be easier than the mud leaf plan. Clay is very smooth when wet, it absorbs water very well, it is usually white or light gray and tends to be very cold. It’s easier to work with if you have short fingernails so you don’t scratch it while working. I hope this all makes sense, can other forumers help with compacting these? I think I got too wordy, I’m sorry.

Short version, clean water is important. Clay can be used to make a container and eventually a filter. Look for white/light gray material and feel it to make sure it ‘s smooth and easily shaped, that’s likely clay. Find as much as you can and keep it in the water in an area you can find it, if the creek is fast moving, dig a hole nearby, cup your hands with water and begin filling said hole to put the clay in. It needs to be wet for the best shaping, if it gets too dry, you won’t be able to shape it anymore

((Ah, that famous story where God made sheeptaurs :) ))

Well there is my phone, outfit, leento, bow, and fire that are manmade things. That number will only go up from here!

I can try the creek for clay in the morning. What should I shape it into exactly? Do I need to have like fire and stuff ready before I do that?

You mean like Adam and Eve?

Yeah.

For the berry’s, Check the size and shape of the leaves, along with the color. Stay away from berries that are white or yellow. They are most likely poisonous.

Also, For food, try to find things crickets and grasshoppers, things like that,Termites, ants, slugs, snails. earthworms, because it can be hard to actually capture an animal or catch a fish, but it's pretty easy to find insects. Just turn over a rock or a log and see what's living under there.

Speaking of berries the ones I've been waiting all day for have passed the second test. I'm looking forward to actually eating them tomorrow. All the shock has killed my appetite today. Which is probably good I guess.

Current purple berries have oval-leaf shape, green, maybe half a finger long. They have some pointy things on the edges of the leaves. Not like thorns but like waves or a saw blade. I tried to upload a picture but I guess I can't do that without anywhere to host it.

...Do I really have to eat bugs? I said I had no appetite but I almost threw up just from reading that. I saw some earth worms when I was tipping over rocks and digging, but I never even considered eating them. Is there some way to make that not incredibly gross?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2021, 10:16:43 pm »

Cook them first, it’s safer and if they’re dead they won’t be able to dodge your teeth. Worms, arthropods, snails, etc are all good sources of protein, and will be easier to catch than squirrels/birds. About what to shape the clay into, just shape it into something that holds water, then make a lid for that container with small holes to hopefully filter out other things
Code: [Select]
Attempted schematic
(Since a rectangle is easier to do this with, I will assume it’s a rectangle, but a circular bowl will work too, any shape really so long as the
lid matches its container and the lid has holes for filtration
———-
l……l
l……l
l……l
l……l
———-
Each dot represents holes in the lid, the smaller the holes, the better, since we only want water to fall through. The clay will also need to be
hardened before an attempt at boiling the water inside is made, boiling water will kill any bacteria or other small organisms within the water.
First, you should make the container, someone mentioned earlier that clay can be red as well.
I’ll look up which shape would hold more, given the same wall height and area
I found a volume calculator, and the type of container that holds the most seems to be a shape like a bowl but with a flat bottom and a top radius bigger than the bottom one, like if a cone was flattened at the pointy end
Code: [Select]
\       /
 \     /
  \___/
« Last Edit: August 10, 2021, 10:34:33 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2021, 10:40:16 pm »

Ok so here’s the step by step for rib removal and creation of a woman

1: Chant “kalima” throughout the process
-ka pronounced like “karl did you hear what happened in Texas?”, li as “Lee Harvey Oswald shot the president!” and ma as in “Oh mah gawd!”
2: Claw fingers like you are holding a baseball
3: using as much force as possible, thrust your fingers into your torso at the bottom of your ribcage so that the fingers pierce around your floating rib
4: rip out the rib
5: cover the rib in dirt and blow on it
6: if this process fails to create a woman, replace rib into body to store until you can cook it

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2021, 10:52:35 pm »

-ka pronounced like “karl did you hear what happened in Texas?”, li as “Lee Harvey Oswald shot the president!” and ma as in “Oh mah gawd!”
3: using as much force as possible, thrust your fingers into your torso at the bottom of your ribcage so that the fingers pierce around your floating rib
6: if this process fails to create a woman, replace rib into body to store until you can cook it
DO NOT ATTEMpt
It is safer to assume magic doesn’t exist and that this would just get you killed. Tearing yourself apart is not a good idea under any circumstances unless you are a necromancer, which you likely aren’t, so don’t try this

Mercur

• Bay Watcher
  • Your average spheroid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2021, 10:56:48 pm »

Alright. I think I can handle that. With all the things I'm noting should I start working on some kind of map? ...How would I make a map?

Well, in order to make a map, you must first make paper, for that you need wood, it’s better to start its soft wood as they are not as tough as hard wood, then, find a way to break the wood into smaller pieces with something sharp, here, you are making a wood pulp, so don’t worry about make the pieces too small, then find shred the pieces to even smaller pieces and put them in some kind of container, along with water, mix the content in the container until it pulverized into a watery pulp, which should a consistency of a wet powder, then get yourself a natural bleach substitute (like tree oil) and them to the pulp to make paper, let it sit for a while for the bleach substitute to take effect, after that, Make yourself a some and of screen and put in he container different from the one that you made the pulp in, then put the pulp into the container, then pull out the screen and let it dry, if you have succeeded in this, lets move on to the map

To make a map, you have to determine the size of the area, so some exploring may be needed, then determine the land to water ratio, so see if there is any rivers or lakes around you, then think about much detail should this map have, after that, you grab the paper you have made and draw the basic outlines of the area around you, then draw any waterways resent in your area, then draw in details in your like mountains, trees, other stuff), after that, make color the map, if you want to, you could label the map, of course, it’s helpful if you have any info on the map, so make sure you add keys that identify the colors and symbols of the map, a scale that represents meters/kilometers is represented in a square inch or centimeter, a symbol (like a compass rose) that orients you in the map, and if necessary, the time and date of when you made this, hope this helps

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2021, 11:03:00 pm »

I remember that softwood is what wood from conifers are called, things like pine trees for example have softwood, someone working in wood shop told me this, I’m not en expert in it

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2021, 03:06:06 am »

Might want to make a spear at some point.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2021, 10:15:40 am »

DO ATTEMpt
If you can jam your fingers through flesh and muscle and remove a rib that easily then we aren’t working around real world logic, and this is the perfect test to determine that.

Fixed that for you

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2021, 10:30:06 am »

DO ATTEMpt
If you can jam your fingers through flesh and muscle and remove a rib that easily then we aren’t working around real world logic, and this is the perfect test to determine that.

Fixed that for you
NOPE! Our goal is to keep this guy alive, not kill him by making him literally tear himself apart! Why are you doing this insanity!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2021, 10:46:31 am »

Do me a favor and follow the steps I outlined. If you successfully manage to do anything beyond punch yourself then I will be impressed. The only way he’ll actually tear himself apart is if the game doesn’t run off of real world logic, and if that’s the case then we have infinite opportunities to repair his ribhole, especially if he can create a new person from it. Just keep making new people to replace damaged parts like some sort of organ factory, for example

BlackPaladin99

• Bay Watcher
  • The dark Knight of Eternity
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2021, 03:23:57 pm »

Make the beating on chest thing a routine.  It’s a confidence building exercise like you thought.  Then, examine yourself for anything out of the ordinary.  Your entire body.  Then search you’re phone and check for these two things:
  • cell service
  • any suspicious looking apps.
Then focus really heard and reach inside yourself and try to find some kind of magical power.
We're talking about partially sapient undead spaghetti here, you can probably instruct it to only strangle specific diners.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 19