Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Distant Worlds 2  (Read 9724 times)

Dostoevsky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Distant Worlds 2
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2022, 03:52:03 pm »

Rock Paper Shotgun has a 'review in progress' that sounds about as I'd hoped? That is, turning the proof of concept into more of a playable game.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2022, 06:57:54 pm »

Explorminate put one out this morning.  Their assessment is generally positive.

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2022, 11:33:51 pm »

crashes quite a bit still, even with latest 1.06 patch. Happens seemingly at save maybe.

Almost done with my 2nd playthrough, first one i had to stop due to bankrupting myself with quickly colonizing planets all over.

2nd one ive done pretty good.

Also the AI never puts barely any money into research in the budget, only colony development seemingly, took it off automatic management due to that.

possible issues for people.

1) Lots of pirates, noticeably in both playthroughs, its like I'm playing with high pirate amounts or something. Make sure to turn down your settings if you plan on fighting with them, and not paying them off for an hour or more before you build up.

2) Lots of Independent planets, which maybe isnt a bad thing, but my god every other system seemingly has a independent race in both playthroughs (the second playthrough I lowered the setting and its almost identical.)

3) The price to make an independent like you via gifts, is a little iffy, if you dont have the diplomacy techs for the race, they will not like you most likely, and it will take 100k and even more credits to make them like you in gifts. For that price, 15k credits in a fleet of troop transports will take them over instantly, for 1/5th the price. For a very small reputation hit, you can have a much faster early game expansion.

4) The game runs better than DWU at least but you start feeling it chug mid game and later, there will be 1000's of private ships flying all over.

5) The speed of the game feels much slower than DWU early game, with the normal settings. It might be a perceptual thing, but absolutely feels super slow with normal settings early on. Speeds up as you start getting some techs and economy rolling.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 11:43:57 pm by Journier »
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2022, 09:29:38 am »

I'm somewhat disappointed with it. As far as I can tell, after a few hours of play, it's pretty much the exact same game as DW.
The UI overlay is different, the graphics are nominally different, and some mechanics were reshuffled in a manner that feels about as impactful as the changes between consecutive iterations of the Conquest of Elysium series, or between a few major patches of Stellaris.
Which would be fine, if the price were a bit more reasonable.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2022, 03:21:45 pm »

Played for a few hours so far, and it doesn't feel too bad to me yet!

Granted I've only run into 3 pirate groups (1 being the human storyline ghost fleet) and haven't had much in the way of combat. Most annoying thing so far is somehow gaining ownership of a starbase in the adjacent quadrant (maybe another story event I missed?) so now a conga-line of merchant ships are trying to resupply it and running out of fuel half way with my tier 1 warp drives.

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2022, 08:38:01 pm »

I'm somewhat disappointed with it. As far as I can tell, after a few hours of play, it's pretty much the exact same game as DW.
The UI overlay is different, the graphics are nominally different, and some mechanics were reshuffled in a manner that feels about as impactful as the changes between consecutive iterations of the Conquest of Elysium series, or between a few major patches of Stellaris.
Which would be fine, if the price were a bit more reasonable.

This is what I noticed as well from watching streamers stream it.
I'll wait a year or so for a definite edition or a sale.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 13, 2022, 03:41:30 pm »

Rock Paper Shotgun has a 'review in progress' that sounds about as I'd hoped? That is, turning the proof of concept into more of a playable game.

This is normal now. Reviews in progress. Because games as a service and patching until servers and marketplace entries are pulled.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2022, 08:12:08 pm »

I barely played distant worlds 1 so similarity isn't really a problem, though now I'm wondering, given DW1 has more expansions and has fully gone through its cycle, would it be better to play that for now and move on to DW2 after it's had some more time to age?
Shoes...

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 14, 2022, 01:14:07 am »

It's certainly not a bad idea if you don't want to leap right in early.  The developers are known for a long-term development cycle, so you can rely on it getting better as you wait.  It's certainly far cheaper, too: Distant Worlds Universe is $2.99 on GOG and, if you want a Steam key, $3.00 on the storefront of the publisher Slitherene.

EDIT:
Mind, I should note explicitly that there's no particular benefit to buying it to connect to Steam.  There's no special integration to the modding workshop and no Steam-restricted multiplayer code.  It came to Steam fairly late in its life expectancy, so it never received anything like that. 
« Last Edit: March 14, 2022, 01:19:11 am by Culise »

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 14, 2022, 08:27:16 am »

Yeah I'd say right now it's suffering a Crusader Kings 2 vs 3 problem.
It has better bones and in time I am quite certain it will be the better game, but at this point the content game is definitely won by the original.

If I had to recommend one for the moment DWU at 3 bucks is hard to beat. But a year from now? I think DW2 will catch up fast once they've added more content and fixed some of the teething problems.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 14, 2022, 08:31:56 am »

I'd probably also say go for Distant Worlds: Universe. If only to figure out if it's the kind of gameplay you find fun.

The price is right, it's got more playable races, there are mods (IIRC), and you can do silly things this one seemingly doesn't allow - like making expensive oversized exploration ships that can explore far, even with shitty hyperdrives. Or making every basic space station or civilian base bristle with guns and fighter hangars. A lot of things were clearer, more intuitive, in the original too, despite the conspicuous UI changes.

DW:U was kind of a mess, though. This one >seems< to gel together a bit better, somehow, for some reason. Playing just a tiny bit more like an actual 4x, rather than a sort of proof of concept of the idea of having the empire running itself largely independently of the player. Though, again, I don't quite know why it feels that way.
Both are crash-prone, and have the same dodgy core mechanics (god almighty, the whole idea of civilians paying you for their shit makes the entire cashflow display pointless at best, misleading at worst - and better yet, it's not properly explained what's going on with all that cash appearing from nowhere, nor can you judge how much you can expect to see).

But I can't run DW:U on my laptop any more. This one at least works.

Trapezohedron_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 14, 2022, 08:36:06 am »

Is this as good as Stellaris?

I've seen this randomly elsewheres and saw it's pretty much like Stellaris, but not sure how deep the game can go.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2022, 08:42:01 am »

It's very different. If the idea of empire automation hooks you up, it's better. Otherwise it's probably worse - less polished and less game-like.
Again, check out the first instalment if you want to see what it's all about - it's pretty much the same game at a fraction of the price.

Trapezohedron_

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 14, 2022, 08:43:54 am »

Thanks, I'll take a gander on the first game and see feedbacks on reviews about it.

I know totally jack about this series, haha...

Journier

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 14, 2022, 10:03:11 pm »

Is this as good as Stellaris?

I've seen this randomly elsewheres and saw it's pretty much like Stellaris, but not sure how deep the game can go.

Probably in 5 years it will be, its a totally different game tho, nowhere near the polish, small studio, 2 man.
Aurora 4x Steam group -http://steamcommunity.com/gid/103582791430952164

Aurora 4x Succession game - http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=51366.0
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4