Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 153

Author Topic: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (Game Over): Lessons Of Mob Mentality  (Read 105221 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Round Over): One Final Discovery
« Reply #240 on: October 06, 2021, 08:38:01 am »

I only ask that you share the horrible imbalance after the game is over.

It has to be after the tournament, in case FOU wishes to inflict it upon us later...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R1, Round Over): One Final Discovery
« Reply #241 on: October 06, 2021, 08:40:07 am »

No Probs, FallacyofUrist.

I personally expected a longer delay, anyways.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: Mostly Vanilla Mafia 3 (R2, Day 1): Don't Trust Off Brand Baked Goods
« Reply #242 on: October 06, 2021, 02:16:54 pm »

Round 2 Begins!

The seven of you arrive in the lounge. You're certain of one thing - there must be at least one traitor among you. Likely more. Agents of the Mafiaco Deli, out to steal WUBA-Inc's secret mustard formula and ruin their business forever. You look at each other with wariness - and familiarity, somehow. Despite having never seen each other in your lives... there's a distinct sense you've met before. In another life, perhaps. But this doesn't make you friends - alliances must be made here and now, not in a past time that never happened. The clock chimes. Ticking closer to something. Who knows what it is?

Someone's dug some loaves of frozen bread out of a fridge and freezer that someone's already gotten to. Still, there's plenty of food left. WUBA-Inc wouldn't let you starve. Even if the food isn't the best. You're all looking forwards to fresh hot dogs once you get out - well, most of you, at least.

Quote from: Votecount
Toonyman (0):
Roden (0):
TricMagic (0):
EuchreJack (0):
NJW2000 (0):
Vector (0):
Metruption (0):

No Execution (0):
Not Voting (7): ToonyMan, Roden, TricMagic, EuchreJack, NJW2000, Vector, Metruption
4 to hammer.

Day 1 has begun, and will end at 2 PM Friday, Central time, approximately 48 hours from now - or at a hammer. Good luck and have fun.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: October 06, 2021, 02:34:45 pm »

Alright, what do everyone think about the tactical utility of Not Lynching?  Is is good/bad/indifferent?

TricMagic: What do you think specifically about the utility of Not Lynching?

Metruption: Are you ready to play some Mafia?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: October 06, 2021, 02:39:18 pm »

Quite the question Jack. It has it's use for preserving the number of people who can action. Granted, as seen last game that's no excuse not to hunt.

Also, I'm a psychologist this time around. Make of that what you will.

Vector, Jack, both of you are capable of engaging right? Who do you think is most likely to be mafia?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: October 06, 2021, 02:43:35 pm »

Also: I have an active pro-town ability.  Maybe I'll share more on D2.  Declaring now so nobody thinks I'm making things up to avoid the lynch.
Thought: Some/Many/Most Town players have an active pro-town ability.

Roden: Thoughts on mass claiming?

Quite the question Jack. It has it's use for preserving the number of people who can action. Granted, as seen last game that's no excuse not to hunt.

I'd be more impressed if you actually explained mathematically whether or not it would be good for Town to No-Lynch under a standard 7 player scenario.

you are capable of engaging right? Who do you think is most likely to be mafia?
And thus, you Tric at this point.  I'll not answer on Vector's behalf, although will gladly use my scant knowledge of Evil Workaholic Mafia Vector's mind for town's benefit.

So yeah, if things stall, calling Vector as Mafia.  Sorry Vector.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: October 06, 2021, 02:46:24 pm »

Also, I'm a psychologist this time around. Make of that what you will.

Awesome, might have a breaker strategy then.  Let us see what everyone else has to say.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: October 06, 2021, 02:52:12 pm »

If we mass claim then we all actually need to mass claim. Claiming BP helped catch scum intentions last time, but the confusion from not everyone claiming as well as some fake claims from town could easily tank us if we don't get as lucky this time. I was thinking how we should try to go about it and I think a no vote Day 1 and then mass claim Day 2 might be the optimal strat, if we do it.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: October 06, 2021, 03:14:45 pm »

If we mass claim then we all actually need to mass claim. Claiming BP helped catch scum intentions last time, but the confusion from not everyone claiming as well as some fake claims from town could easily tank us if we don't get as lucky this time. I was thinking how we should try to go about it and I think a no vote Day 1 and then mass claim Day 2 might be the optimal strat, if we do it.

I'm actually heavily in favor of this strategy.

Still...Why is Roden the lover of mass claims hesitating to claim?

And...Why is Roden now favoring the "let mafia get the first kill instead of town" strategy?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: October 06, 2021, 03:17:48 pm »

NJW2000: What do you think of Roden's strategy to No Lynch Day 1, then mass claim Day 2?

Also: I see a flaw in Roden's plan, so I am now less in favor of it.  Anyone else see it?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: October 06, 2021, 03:21:49 pm »

And for those watching at home, I started by pressing Tric a bit, then when Tric made a "testable" claim, I decided to switch to Roden.  NJW2000 hasn't posted yet, so I thought I'd "invite" them to the conversation.  Tiny test of NJW2000 there, which is probably bad form, but I figure I'm pretty good at reading Roden.

Toonyman: What do you think of my self-narrating?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: October 06, 2021, 03:22:16 pm »

Welp, good morning everyone. Some fishy stuff right off the bat.

Alright, what do everyone think about the tactical utility of Not Lynching?  Is is good/bad/indifferent?
The usefulness of no-lynching varies with the situation. I've seen some probability-based analyses suggesting it might help town in very specific circumstances, but I think all of those were predicated on a reasonably simple, or at least open setup. We don't know which powers are in play, so we can't make that kind of analysis. What we do know is that no-lynching involves town not using its main or only path to winning the game, while mafia moves closer to their win condition. It also means that there is next to no information in the open - almost everything will be focused on the night if town consensus is for a no-lynch, while the stakes of D1 discussion become really low.

A D1 nolynch might make slightly more sense if there isn't a good case against anybody, but it's still denying town information and a shot at killing scum. So Bad.

So... just going to jump on the no-lynch thing then?

Gotta say, it's kinda weird two players immediately starting to talk about no-lynch as soon as the day begins, seemingly independently. Jack bringing it up immediately is weird, but Roden suggesting doing it right after is just too much. Bit of a weird swing from "suprise massclaim" strategy, too. Why have you decided that it's better to let mafia kill someone before a pre-arranged massclaim D2, Roden?

Vector, Jack, both of you are capable of engaging right? Who do you think is most likely to be mafia?
Why did you ask this, TricMagic? How is this ever a worthwhile question, outside of coaxing a completely new player into scumhunting?

Did you want EuchreJack to answer this when only you and he had posted? Or were you expecting answers post-RVS, and consider "post scumpicks pls" a useful scumhunting question? What was the thought process here?

NJW2000: What do you think of Roden's strategy to No Lynch Day 1, then mass claim Day 2?

Also: I see a flaw in Roden's plan, so I am now less in favor of it.  Anyone else see it?
I answer this above.

I see a flaw in that the plan is bad. I am interested to hear what you see.

ninja'd by Euchre raising similar points. Tho Roden kinda says why he's hesistant to claim.
One wheel short of a wagon

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: October 06, 2021, 03:27:04 pm »

At a glance, it says everyone needs to claim on day 2. But for those with certain 1-shot abilities, (like any gun owners), that isn't really a good thing. That and the obvious issue of someone being dead, unless mafia chooses not to kill and blend in.

Also, there is one major flaw in just No Voting. And that happens to be discussion Roden. Why the change of heart?

NiNJW2000.

And others, reading. Unvote.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: October 06, 2021, 03:30:56 pm »

To note, the info did come in handy towards the end of the game. But falseclaiming is not something town should do in the first place. Given that's kinda what we use to pick out scum.

I asked that to check more than anything else, and maybe pick up some info for later on.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: October 06, 2021, 03:33:09 pm »

Gotta say, it's kinda weird two players immediately starting to talk about no-lynch as soon as the day begins, seemingly independently. Jack bringing it up immediately is weird, but Roden suggesting doing it right after is just too much. Bit of a weird swing from "suprise massclaim" strategy, too. Why have you decided that it's better to let mafia kill someone before a pre-arranged massclaim D2, Roden?

Bullsocks regarding me.

I got lynched (or pushed to self-lynch) D2 because I assumed the best strategy for town was to lynch, so how exactly is it "weird" that I would bring it up "immediately"?
Would it not be normal for me to want to avoid that mistake, regardless of alignment but especially as Town?

But yes, Roden jumping onto it as a good strategy so quickly is suspicious.

I answer this above.

I see a flaw in that the plan is bad. I am interested to hear what you see.

ninja'd by Euchre raising similar points. Tho Roden kinda says why he's hesistant to claim.

Hm, lets see what everyone else says first, or whether Roden tries to "fix" it.  But yeah, FOS Roden

Note: Aggressive voting by NJW2000 seems out of character, although against Roden maybe not so much (they "play differently")
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 153