Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Bay12: Legion (Interest Check)  (Read 3077 times)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
  • A sarcastic, weird nerd of many things. That's me.
    • View Profile
Bay12: Legion (Interest Check)
« on: June 14, 2021, 09:33:34 am »

With the advent of video game titles like Middle-Earth: Shadow of War and Watch Dogs: Legion, a pattern is beginning to emerge: enriching, long-form narratives built from characters, whether allied or adversarial, who are randomly generated. And this reminds me of a forum game, long ago...the Zenith Concert.

Resurrected by me multiple times under Chaos Chronicles, the game tried to capture that magic under the umbrella of a Forum Game. But the generated characters were built from too many moving parts, parts that were formatted by so many different people under so many different rules sets and using stats that may have ceased to be between revisions. It was ambitious, but complex, and every attempt after tried to build on top of this foundation instead of fixing the problems raised by previous versions.

It's time for a hard reset.

Bay12: Legion is a revitalization of the "Randomized Character RPG" concept that aims to correct the issues caused by Chaos Chronicles, which in turn was itself a resurrection of Zenith Concert.

The game rules will be similar to that of, say, Wiki-Warfare if it were a longform RP: combat is not dictated by Hit Points, but rather by detailed subsystem damage. Your rolled up stats will instead provide very simple bonuses of +2 to certain actions. For example, having the Positive Trait of being good at public speaking will provide a +2 to Social Interactions. Or debuffs of a similar level.

I will not be using the old list of stuff. I would rather have everything centered and easy to punch in to the randomizer(s). You may all still submit Fragments if you want, but they will be part of a new batch of stuff I will be adding a lot into as well.

Here is how characters will be laid out:
Spoiler: Character Layout (click to show/hide)

Finally, one more thing. As you can tell from the title, this game is drawing inspiration from Watch Dogs: Legion. I already have a plotline in mind, the plotline isn't what I'm referring to. I mean, your characters are not the only ones being randomly generated. There is a breathing world of nutters out there, friend and foe. Your Associates matter and they have their own Associates. And...there will be more characters then there will be players at the beginning.

The player count will be six, so let's say a full six of you join. I will roll up two characters per player, and the one you do not pick will be an NPC in the world. And if your character dies, you go into the Waitlist, and come back later as a brand new character.

So...if all of that sounds fun? Let us begin.

Players: 5/5
Supernerd, Nightwing64, Glass, 0cra_Tr0per, King Zultan

Waitlist: 0
n/a
« Last Edit: June 20, 2021, 08:46:13 pm by Greatness942 »
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.
I desire, for whatever reason, to create Space Louisiana.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bay12: Legion (Interest Check)
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2021, 05:22:10 pm »

Also, feel free to mention if any mechanics can be fine-tuned a little more!
Offer them each a glass of a local drink, Rwandan Flower Wine, which contains secret ingredients to help calm the drinker such as crushed amethyst, dandelion wine and just the right amount of marijuana.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2021, 05:45:53 pm »

I'd probably participate in this.
I will mention however, that a first come first serve might discourage the late players from playing at all. Maybe just give each player three or so character choices or something?
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
  • The Most Handsome Bay12 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2021, 06:26:03 pm »

I’ll participate. This seems fun. :)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2021, 07:28:02 pm »

I'd probably participate in this.
I will mention however, that a first come first serve might discourage the late players from playing at all. Maybe just give each player three or so character choices or something?

That might work, yeah. So, maybe each player gets two sheets and gets to pick between them, with the other one becoming some kind of NPC?

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2021, 07:41:18 pm »

Game seems interesting to me. Not sure I can think of any good Fragments, but it sounds like you've got a list already.
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2021, 08:19:29 pm »

Game seems interesting to me. Not sure I can think of any good Fragments, but it sounds like you've got a list already.

Building one up, yeah. :)

Screech9791

• Bay Watcher
  • quit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2021, 09:07:41 pm »

Sign me up. Can’t wait to find out what chaos I get myself into.
it's over

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2021, 04:04:03 am »

I remember being in the previous games like this and so I shall sign up for this one as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2021, 07:35:27 am »

I remember being in the previous games like this and so I shall sign up for this one as well.

Y'all got it!

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2021, 07:59:33 am »

Y'all got it!

We already got 5 players. :)

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2021, 09:07:10 am »

I know! It's quite exciting. I'll see if we're getting a sixth before rolling up characters.

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2021, 04:20:54 pm »

Also, I added a "Class" section to the character sheet. Just for extra variety.

Knightwing64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2021, 02:32:05 pm »

Okay. Is this like wizard type of class or professions like carpenter and stuff?

Greatness942

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2021, 03:15:29 pm »

Okay. Is this like wizard type of class or professions like carpenter and stuff?

Both! All professions can add something to the table.
Pages: [1] 2 3