Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49

Author Topic: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 4/9 [Eruption: Fallacy of Logic- Hackers Win]  (Read 50057 times)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 6/9 [Day 3: Toon Force Murder]
« Reply #555 on: July 06, 2021, 08:46:48 pm »

Quick hypothesis: Jack and FoU are scum, know that this is the most likely PoE for town, and he's trying to sow confusion.
Quick hypothesis: I hate you all, and I'm sick of playing with you.  I've been suspected all game by everyone, and now its going to cost the majority of you the game.  I think, at this point, I'm just going to claim to be the 3rd member of the mafia team, and change my win condition to match theirs.

ATTENTION TOWN: I was town, but am now considering myself to be Mafia-aligned.  Ergo, when you mislynch me, I shall call it a win.  And a jolly Fuck You to you all. Die in a ditch.

Btw scum can quickhammer if you leave that vote up there Jack so you're literally proving yourself scum by self-voting.
Oops.

UNVOTE

prefuzek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 06, 2021, 08:47:01 pm »

I've been suspected all game by everyone, and now its going to cost the majority of you the game.
That's not even true. I thought you were town for a big part of D1 and D2.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 06, 2021, 08:47:45 pm »

I've been suspected all game by everyone, and now its going to cost the majority of you the game.

Hah, have we just proven the team can't be Pref and Roden?  I mean, you two could have hammered.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 06, 2021, 08:49:36 pm »

Maybe I should just request a substitution at this point.  It's probably best for Town.  I sure as hell can't get out of this.  An new user would get at least some freshness.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 06, 2021, 08:52:44 pm »

Btw scum can quickhammer if you leave that vote up there Jack so you're literally proving yourself scum by self-voting.

I think that clears Pref.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: July 06, 2021, 08:56:51 pm »

Maybe I should just request a substitution at this point.  It's probably best for Town.  I sure as hell can't get out of this.  An new user would get at least some freshness.
The odds of us actually getting a replacement at this point are... basically nil, this late into the game? It's LYLO.

Play it out and do your best. That's all any of us can do.

And, uh, stop self-voting, please? There's no reason to do that ever. Even when you go insane. At least try to go insane productively, y'know?
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 9/9 [Day 1: Hackers Among Us]
« Reply #561 on: July 06, 2021, 08:58:26 pm »

Let's throw some questions out, because why not:

1. How much mafia experience would you say that you have?
2. Do you consider yourself good at the game?
3. What's your preference, town or wolf?
4. How would you describe your playstyle?
1. I have some experience. I've played several Mafia style games, but not much post-by-post, mainly just the typical party game set up and only casually. I found this forum through a game called Gnosia, since someone on the sub reddit linked the game a group played here a month or so ago, and though it was too late to play it got me interested in trying post-by-post.

2. Kind of? I'm either spot on or completely off my game and just throwing. I feel like I'm only at my best when I play with people I've gotten to know, which feels obvious, but there's a very notable gap in how good I am with strangers vs people I know. I do pick up games pretty quickly though, and I think in general I can always at least catch on to lies and inconsistencies.

3. I like both but prefer mafia. I enjoy solving mysteries as town, but scheming is just plain fun lol. I think I'm stronger as a wolf/mafia too.

4. Chaotic. I typically get scum read because of this, but I partially do this to draw out mafia who want an easy mis elim. But I also do this so people have a harder time reading me for meta tells from past games. Despite this I'm actually kinda sensitive to getting scum read lol, but I only ever seem to get scum read over random comments I make rather than my actions. I want to try to find out why this is.

@Roden:
Are you related to Rolan7?
No. I have no idea who that is.

I don't think so. It's not about quantity, but quality. A bunch of revealing posts might spew a player as town - such as your play in Roguelike Mafia 7 - but it is not normally alignment indicative and I don't believe town PRs should reveal anything on D1.
I mostly agree. I think the Bulletproof townie should step forward though if they exist.
@Roden: Any of this make sense to you?

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 06, 2021, 08:59:56 pm »

Hah, have we just proven the team can't be Pref and Roden?  I mean, you two could have hammered.
Except by that logic, nobody is scum, since me and Magma, Magma and Pref, me and Roden, etc etc etc... could have just hammered you right then.

And I trust Tric to, at the very least, not make this a bastard game without any scum.

So no, it doesn't really prove anything, unfortunately.
FoU has some twisted role ideas. Screw second-guessing this mechanical garbage spaghetti, I'm basing everything on reads and visible daytime behaviour.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 06, 2021, 09:00:36 pm »

Jack, if you could just calm down I'd be able to keep my town read on you. But constantly making all these chaotic posts makes it so hard to trust you. Every time I say you're town, you just tell me I'm wrong. And I honestly don't understand why.

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2021, 09:01:33 pm »

Let's throw some questions out, because why not:

1. How much mafia experience would you say that you have?
2. Do you consider yourself good at the game?
3. What's your preference, town or wolf?
4. How would you describe your playstyle?
1. I have some experience. I've played several Mafia style games, but not much post-by-post, mainly just the typical party game set up and only casually. I found this forum through a game called Gnosia, since someone on the sub reddit linked the game a group played here a month or so ago, and though it was too late to play it got me interested in trying post-by-post.

2. Kind of? I'm either spot on or completely off my game and just throwing. I feel like I'm only at my best when I play with people I've gotten to know, which feels obvious, but there's a very notable gap in how good I am with strangers vs people I know. I do pick up games pretty quickly though, and I think in general I can always at least catch on to lies and inconsistencies.

3. I like both but prefer mafia. I enjoy solving mysteries as town, but scheming is just plain fun lol. I think I'm stronger as a wolf/mafia too.

4. Chaotic. I typically get scum read because of this, but I partially do this to draw out mafia who want an easy mis elim. But I also do this so people have a harder time reading me for meta tells from past games. Despite this I'm actually kinda sensitive to getting scum read lol, but I only ever seem to get scum read over random comments I make rather than my actions. I want to try to find out why this is.

@Roden:
Are you related to Rolan7?
No. I have no idea who that is.

I don't think so. It's not about quantity, but quality. A bunch of revealing posts might spew a player as town - such as your play in Roguelike Mafia 7 - but it is not normally alignment indicative and I don't believe town PRs should reveal anything on D1.
I mostly agree. I think the Bulletproof townie should step forward though if they exist.
@Roden: Any of this make sense to you?
What am I supposed to get from this?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: MATRIX6- Magic Tric Newbie Mafia 9/9 [Day 1: Hackers Among Us]
« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2021, 09:02:02 pm »

Interesting, but I feel like chaotic play is a good way to "catch" townies as well. A lot of people don't play to win, and just play to survive or try to get killed at night! In fact, I believe the most common style of play is "it's important to win, but it's even more important to not be blamed for a loss". This applies more or less to any amateur competitive team activity. In mafia, it sometimes manifests itself as an "anybody but me" mentality - that's how I played when I first started, anyway.
I feel like it depends tbh. It doesn't mean much if someone thinks I'm mafia, but if someone uses anti-town methods to try to get me or slips something they shouldn't have said, then I'm a lot more confident I've caught mafia. Not really something I'm going to try here though since I've already stated this playstyle.

I don't agree with this, for a few reasons:
It tells the wolves which power roles exist. Information is power, and knowing which roles exist would help them with their targets immensely. For example, if they know there is no doctor or jailkeeper, they can freely target someone who might otherwise be considered a likely protection magnet. This is even worse if we have a tracker who is forced to claim... without the possibility of a doctor, the wolves can happily eat the tracker, whereas otherwise it'd be a bit risky!
Even worse, if we all agree that a bulletproof should claim, but there is no claim, AND the wolves have a roleblocker, well suddenly the wolves know the exact setup and we haven't gained anything.
Also, the argument that the bulletproof would require two nights to kill is not totally valid. It does require two nights to kill, yes, but if there are an even number of players at night and the other power role is dead, then what do the wolves lose by trying to kill the bulletproof? It would bring us to even numbers the next day, which is not really advantageous for us.

I will add a corollary: if there is a roleblocker and we manage to kill it day one, we should all claim on day two to get two or three confirmed town, and ride that to an easy win.
I think mafia would be more worried about a BP not existing, tbh. If a BP doesn't exist and we have an outed Tracker like in your hypothetical situation, then that means we have a Doctor and no Roleblocker. Doctor then protects the Tracker in secret and we're pretty much set to win. It's not quite follow the cop, but it's a safer alternative since Doctor + Cop does have a Roleblocker.
@Roden: What were you doing with the whole bulletproof conversation anyways?

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 06, 2021, 09:02:33 pm »

Interesting, but I feel like chaotic play is a good way to "catch" townies as well. A lot of people don't play to win, and just play to survive or try to get killed at night! In fact, I believe the most common style of play is "it's important to win, but it's even more important to not be blamed for a loss". This applies more or less to any amateur competitive team activity. In mafia, it sometimes manifests itself as an "anybody but me" mentality - that's how I played when I first started, anyway.

I don't agree with this, for a few reasons:
It tells the wolves which power roles exist. Information is power, and knowing which roles exist would help them with their targets immensely. For example, if they know there is no doctor or jailkeeper, they can freely target someone who might otherwise be considered a likely protection magnet. This is even worse if we have a tracker who is forced to claim... without the possibility of a doctor, the wolves can happily eat the tracker, whereas otherwise it'd be a bit risky!
Even worse, if we all agree that a bulletproof should claim, but there is no claim, AND the wolves have a roleblocker, well suddenly the wolves know the exact setup and we haven't gained anything.
Also, the argument that the bulletproof would require two nights to kill is not totally valid. It does require two nights to kill, yes, but if there are an even number of players at night and the other power role is dead, then what do the wolves lose by trying to kill the bulletproof? It would bring us to even numbers the next day, which is not really advantageous for us.

I will add a corollary: if there is a roleblocker and we manage to kill it day one, we should all claim on day two to get two or three confirmed town, and ride that to an easy win.

@Roden: Do you remember this conversation from day 1? Does it have any meaning to you now?
I'm not sure what this is supposed to prove either...

Roden

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 06, 2021, 09:04:21 pm »

@Roden: What were you doing with the whole bulletproof conversation anyways?
I explained this at the start...?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 06, 2021, 09:04:46 pm »

Except by that logic, nobody is scum, since me and Magma, Magma and Pref, me and Roden, etc etc etc... could have just hammered you right then.

And I trust Tric to, at the very least, not make this a bastard game without any scum.

So no, it doesn't really prove anything, unfortunately.

I did make a full joker game. But no, there are two scum.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 06, 2021, 09:06:02 pm »

Now, imma do the scummy thing and give advice instead of working on my own hunts (at least for now).

Jack, I genuinely think you're improving at the game, overall, compared to where you were in your last few games. While not all of your posts are the best, I've seen some really amazing ones among what you've posted. You are getting better.

The only issue is getting too paranoid. No, we don't all hate you. We don't even dislike you. If anything, we appreciate how you're contributing to the game. Is it perfect? No. But you're new. It's fine, buddy. If you need to, just take a thirty minute or hour-long break from the game. Deep breaths, video games, tea and chill. Whatever floats your boat. You can come back when you're ready.

We'll still be here.

It's also important to remember that even if we say aggressive things, we don't always mean them. It's just a part of how this game is. Kinda twisted, but mafia is mafia. Psychological warfare is part of the gameplay. And I admire how you're doing your best despite all the stress. And however the game ends, I'm sure that we both know you've been doing your very best. Just like Tric in his own earlier games. I guarantee you, I was much worse than you when I started. We all start off pretty bad. That's normal. Heck, I still have glaring issues in my gameplay today. It's trying hard and playing your best that matters. And I fully believe you're doing that.

And right now, you're my number-one townie candidate.  :)

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 49