Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: (coming soon) Broken Arrow - A large-scale Slitherine game  (Read 2375 times)

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1604270/Broken_Arrow/

Not much to say about it as it isn't released. Except it looks rather amazing, and I pretty much buy all the Slitherine games.

It does look to take place in modern times, which is interesting. Very much looking to see more about it. Its listed as "coming soon".
« Last Edit: May 22, 2021, 02:27:24 pm by The_Explorer »

Sharp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: (coming soon) Broken Arrow - A large-scale Slitherine game
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 03:35:43 pm »

Looks a lot like Wargame, although I didn't really get into it.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 04:32:40 pm »

Looks a lot like Wargame

It do be looking that way. As a general Slitherine fan I am very interested, and suspect it will be larger(?) and more simulation-y than Wargame. That said... I feel like Wargame kind of dominates it's modern large-scale RTS niche. So... I am hopeful, but like I will be pleasantly surprised if this can innovate or unseat the king.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

JimboM12

• Bay Watcher
  • Dank.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 06:16:45 pm »

ptw, it had me at slitherine. judging from the pictures, yeah looks like a simulation-y Wargame, with customizable units, and that peaks my interest
Pemmican is pretty incredibly durable. Corn and rice also lust forever without refrigeration.
Ah yes, the insatiable lust of corn and rice, clearly two of the most erotic foods.

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 07:06:28 pm »

How the hell does it look simulation-y? It does look like Wargame/SD reskin with bigger map. And Eugen protects their games from being moddable so they can push their 'DLCs' to get people to buy full price things that would barely classify as minor mods.
Since this is published by Slitherine, I'm expecting it to be much more into this practice. Hard pass from me until they show anything to the contrary. Currently I don't expect it to be anything more than eugen reskin with removed campaign/army general.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2021, 07:16:20 pm »

Wow, I didn't even know there were Slitherine fanboys.  I had thought they only inspired hatred.

Urist McScoopbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • Damnit Scoopz!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2021, 09:41:43 pm »

Wow, I didn't even know there were Slitherine fanboys.  I had thought they only inspired hatred.

Why? Sincerely curious. All I know is that they've published a number of my fav games.
This conversation is getting disturbing fast, disturbingly erotic.

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2021, 10:10:01 pm »

Why? Sincerely curious. All I know is that they've published a number of my fav games.
I think it's a Harry Potter joke, but if I remember right, Slytherine does have a history of screwing over devs.
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2021, 12:05:40 am »

I think it's a Harry Potter joke, but if I remember right, Slytherine does have a history of screwing over devs.
While I'm basically Harry Potter in real life, its that second thing.  In the past, Slitherine had a history of abandoned, unfinished games.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2021, 12:07:37 pm »

Reminds me a lot of Wargame European escalation.

(I kind of want to revisit it but not being able to pause and give orders disencourages me. I dont like unpausable rts anymore.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2021, 05:16:23 pm »

(I kind of want to revisit it but not being able to pause and give orders disencourages me. I dont like unpausable rts anymore.

It's because you're old, ChairmanPoo!

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2021, 08:36:45 am »

Later Eugen creations had 'bullet time' (not counting pause in menu, but you can't give orders) and in Steel Division 2 they finally fixed r*&$%d AI code to fully put in active pause.

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2021, 09:27:11 am »

eugene also completely broke their own system in SD2 in favor of cinematic battles, and have been trying to fix it ever since by tweaking spawn points and the like. red dragon is a much better rts, albeit still has terrible controls and a community fixated on large resources 10v10 matches

tentatively optimistic about this one tho. larger map are much more suited at combined arms battles.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2021, 09:35:29 am by LoSboccacc »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2021, 12:55:49 pm »

It's because you're old, ChairmanPoo!
Maybe.

But then again I didnt love the system back in the day either.  I just didnt know there was anything else in my teen years, and later on I learned my love for TBS and RTS with active pause. And even later on I've been learning about stuff I dont like to spend my leisure time on.

So I'd say I'm old enough to know better  :P  8)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2021, 04:25:25 pm »

Has anyone heard anything about Steel Balalaika? Other than that they are making this?
Also, interesting that they apparently have a patreon that does not, to the best of my cursory knowledge actually give you the game.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.
Pages: [1] 2