Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Divine Engines (Sign-ups Open)  (Read 2312 times)

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
Re: Divine Engines (Sign-ups Open)
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2021, 12:08:30 am »

I'm also open to adding a sixth slot if there's a large number of people who want to put forward a collective sheet with multiple races. In any case, each slot will start with the same total population and number of lands.
Let's discuss our plans for this, then. It seems to me that the right synthesis for team elemental's lands is lake, forest, and volcano. This basically gives all four types proper homes and covers most of what the rest of you asked for originally. Full disclosure, I just picked my original lands as the first three levels of the Mario formula, so I have no attachment to that whatsoever.

Anyway, in light of the team plan, I'm renaming my race to "Ondine" and now they're amphibious. I'll have to think about further changes later.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2021, 01:03:54 am »

Not Omelettine?

But I approve of the terrain.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2021, 01:28:39 am »

Not Omelettine?
That would just be silly.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2021, 01:41:01 am »

Yeah, the lake+forest+volcano combo seems fine to me, although I'd be open to other, more contrived combos like swamp+canyons+superdesert or something.

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2021, 12:24:38 pm »

Terrain should be volcano, lake, forest, the clearly superior ordering of VLF instead of LFV.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Shadowclaw777

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Wisenheimer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2021, 01:32:53 pm »

The Spectators are always looking for a partner race to Spectate :)

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2021, 01:37:45 pm »

Going over our elemental quartet, I notice the following strengths and tendencies:

[Fire] Salamanders: Lavawork, evil monologues
[Water] Ondine: Rigid hierarchies, invention, waterwork
[Earth] Gilded Gnomes: Metalwork, invention, passing fads
[Air] Fairies: Flying, small size

Given that, I'd guess the following contributions:

Food: Lots of Ondine fish farms (owing to their water affinity) and possibly Ondine regular farms (owing to their propensity for rigid work, and perhaps an affinity for egg-shaped irrigation as well). Salamanders probably supply a good deal of chef work and baking, and maybe running farms of prisoners or slaves. If fairies are gonna live in trees anyway, they might favor fruit orchards.

Industry: Gnomes and Ondine are probably both common miners, with Salamanders taking over for more volcanic tunnels. Salamanders probably also handle most of the smelting and other overt heat work, then compete with gnomes for actually shaping metal. Fairies likely supply intricate detail work. Gnomes probably dominate in working with gemstones, while Salamanders are common in pottery and glass. Harvesting and working in other raw materials is probably kind of a grab bag, while construction is probably a gnome specialty unless it involves a racial preference (towers for fairies, underwater for Ondine, being cast from lava for Salamanders).

Commerce: Gnomes are probably the big artisans and hawkers here, but anyone making things is liable to sell them. Fairies probably make the best messengers and inspectors, owing to their ability to fly and ability to fit in small spaces.

Entertainment: Gnomes cycle through fads. Salamanders produce grandiose epics. Ondine generate predictable but serviceable (if egg-obsessed) art. Fairies generate amazingly detailed work, but struggle to make it large enough to be seen by other races.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2021, 02:08:47 pm »

I think Rockeater's Rangoon are the only odd ones still out, Mic and Ryu having declined to play.

[the whole post, generally]
I certainly imagine the Ondine being farmers and probably bureaucrats. Definitely bureaucrats. I can just imagine a DMV staffed entirely with giant silent eggs. I can see them strip-mining, but probably not drift-mining, since they're bulky for tunnels. They would produce coral, pearls, and amber (which was traditionally viewed as a sea product since it is most often found floating after being eroded out of substrate), but I'm sure they like pearls best, for obvious reasons. I suspect they would also use mollusk shell, and produce glass in collaboration with the salamanders.
I also figure that, with their new aquatic characterisation, the Ondine should probably have visible tentacles that can trail behind them elegantly as they drift through the waves &c.

I think we should probably define the government as a council of the four races' respective leaders. This has the helpful side-effect of not requiring any change from what was already written about those leaders.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2021, 02:24:28 pm »

I think Rockeater's Rangoon are the only odd ones still out, Mic and Ryu having declined to play.

[the whole post, generally]
I certainly imagine the Ondine being farmers and probably bureaucrats. Definitely bureaucrats. I can just imagine a DMV staffed entirely with giant silent eggs. I can see them strip-mining, but probably not drift-mining, since they're bulky for tunnels. They would produce coral, pearls, and amber (which was traditionally viewed as a sea product since it is most often found floating after being eroded out of substrate), but I'm sure they like pearls best, for obvious reasons. I suspect they would also use mollusk shell, and produce glass in collaboration with the salamanders.
I also figure that, with their new aquatic characterisation, the Ondine should probably have visible tentacles that can trail behind them elegantly as they drift through the waves &c.

I think we should probably define the government as a council of the four races' respective leaders. This has the helpful side-effect of not requiring any change from what was already written about those leaders.

Do you want to change the lake into an ocean? Most of those sound more oceany than lakey.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2021, 02:28:37 pm »

Do you want to change the lake into an ocean? Most of those sound more oceany than lakey.
Only coral is *strictly* marine, and I think freshwater is better to start with for farming purposes, but I'm open.

Roboson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 14, 2021, 12:21:26 pm »

Any progress on the collective sheet? I'd like to get the first turn up and moving soon.

Kilojoule Proton

• Bay Watcher
  • µ
    • View Profile
    • YG toolbox
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2021, 02:10:02 pm »

Quote from: *Team Elemental
Leader names: Scarralax the Dire, Emperor Eldwin "the Eternal", Ecgweard I, Mr. Rings
Ship name: *The Inner Plane
Country(/district/quarter?) names: Dragonstone, Oberon Empire, Egdom of Ovalia, Ore
Mortal species blurbs:
  • Salamanders: Bipedal dinosaur-like reptiles in a range of fiery colorations, usually with some manner of feathers or horns adorning their head.
  • Sylphs Fairies: Tiny winged humanoids, ranging in size from a larger race's palm to their dinner plates.
  • Sloo Omelettine Ondines: Large white egg-shaped beings with no discernible features, hovering about six inches off the ground (although they can jump as if they had legs).
  • Gilded Gnomes: Small humanoids who love decorating, adorning, and otherwise bedecking themselves in trinkets (mostly rings and bracelets) of precious metal.

Kingdom culture:
Quote from: IronyOwl

Food: Lots of Ondine fish farms (owing to their water affinity) and possibly Ondine regular farms (owing to their propensity for rigid work, and perhaps an affinity for egg-shaped irrigation as well). Salamanders probably supply a good deal of chef work and baking, and maybe running farms of prisoners or slaves. If fairies are gonna live in trees anyway, they might favor fruit orchards.

Industry: Gnomes and Ondine are probably both common miners, with Salamanders taking over for more volcanic tunnels. Salamanders probably also handle most of the smelting and other overt heat work, then compete with gnomes for actually shaping metal. Fairies likely supply intricate detail work. Gnomes probably dominate in working with gemstones, while Salamanders are common in pottery and glass. Harvesting and working in other raw materials is probably kind of a grab bag, while construction is probably a gnome specialty unless it involves a racial preference (towers for fairies, underwater for Ondine, being cast from lava for Salamanders).

Commerce: Gnomes are probably the big artisans and hawkers here, but anyone making things is liable to sell them. Fairies probably make the best messengers and inspectors, owing to their ability to fly and ability to fit in small spaces.

Entertainment: Gnomes cycle through fads. Salamanders produce grandiose epics. Ondine generate predictable but serviceable (if egg-obsessed) art. Fairies generate amazingly detailed work, but struggle to make it large enough to be seen by other races.

Starting lands:
  • Lake
  • Forest
  • Volcano

* Placeholder name, please replace!

b28b 84f2 b6e5 6f86 b10b c99b 8d9a 8530 54dc 2c8c d3b2 0e8e 36d4 9949 d87e d12b

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 14, 2021, 02:18:55 pm »

I hereby declare your vessel “The Elemental Chaos”
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 14, 2021, 04:41:18 pm »

Quote from: *Team Elemental
Leader names: Scarralax the Dire, Emperor Eldwin "the Eternal", Ecgweard I, Mr. Rings
Ship name: *The Synodic Cable of the Elementals
Country(/district/quarter?) names: Dragonstone, Oberon Empire, Egdom of Ovalia, Ore
Mortal species blurbs:
  • Salamanders: Bipedal dinosaur-like reptiles in a range of fiery colorations, usually with some manner of feathers or horns adorning their head.
  • Sylphs Fairies: Tiny winged humanoids, ranging in size from a larger race's palm to their dinner plates.
  • Sloo Omelettine Ondines: Large white egg-shaped beings with no discernible features, hovering about six inches off the ground (although they can jump as if they had legs).
  • Gilded Gnomes: Small humanoids who love decorating, adorning, and otherwise bedecking themselves in trinkets (mostly rings and bracelets) of precious metal.

Kingdom culture:
Quote from: IronyOwl

Starting lands:
  • Lake
  • Forest
  • Volcano

* Also known as the Synodic Cable

Or we can just call it Periodic if the reference was too vague.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2021, 04:48:43 pm by Stirk »

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 14, 2021, 05:00:58 pm »

No, you guys are definitely the Elemental Chaos. No matter what each of you decide.
Pages: 1 [2] 3