Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stonecrafter cancels make microcline crafts: need microcline.  (Read 1220 times)

CRainbowDuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile

Along the common dwarvery the insanity reached a point of no return for a split second and the game did this. Using that guy meph tile set since I can't distinguish the workshops from the floor when I discover a cave, microcline is apparently not a building material for walls or rather not a thing to make mugs, the problem is I didn't find anything useful in the wiki. This was posted on reddit and people where telling that maybe among the bridge, burrow, pathing problems that this could be due to microcline being ignored by default but I never got to know. Until now its just dwarves being water poisoned.

CRainbowDuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: Stonecrafter cancels make microcline crafts: need microcline.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2021, 04:45:16 pm »

The fortress was abandoned to ruins since discovering a cave is usually the end of your fortress, since i thrust the people who run this place are different from reddit, notice this is not a question, its a funny moment and discussion of what could be causing this.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:12:25 pm »

Some less obvious possibilities:
  • You've linked a stockpile to your craft workshop. If a stockpile is linked to a workshop, that workshop will ONLY use items from linked stockpiles.
  • You've activated a civilian alert, forcing all of your dwarves to stay inside one or more burrows.
  • You've created a burrow which includes your craft workshop and accidentally enabled the "restrict workshops to burrow" option. This prevents them from using materials outside the burrow.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 08:22:02 am »

Another possibility is that the path to the microcline block the game had decided to use has somehow been blocked at the time the dorfs took up the job. Locked doors, raised drawbridges, shifting water levels, and ramps that had been mined away or made unusable are all things that can cause that.

Microcline is a normal kind of rock that's useful for some players because of its color, and so is usable for construction and crafting by default. Stone that have commercial usages (such as ore for metal or gypsum for plaster) default to being blocked for construction and normal crafting, but there's a menu that allows you to change the settings to toggle stone between being permitted and forbidden.

If you can't build with it it's probably because there's no path to it, although having forbidden it from "mundane" usage would also cause it.

Regardless, there is a myriad reasons for why you can't do things in DF, so listing them all is rather difficult. It's typically easier for experience players to find the reason if the save is made available for examination.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 10:42:08 am »

Also, this thread really belongs in DF Gameplay Questions.

And btw,

Welcome to the forums!
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

CRainbowDuck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 04:13:01 pm »

This is not a question first of all.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2021, 05:25:10 pm »

This is not a question first of all.

Then what is it?

Two other posters have have already chimed in with possible reasons for the problem you are having (which might help you fix it) and the DF Gameplay Questions forum is the place to go if your having problems/difficulty with the game.

What was the intent of your post?
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2021, 05:28:49 pm »

(But is this not an answer?)

DF does have some rather... ...interesting gameplay issues, because it has many interacting elements, as your Reddit and Bay12 responses have explained, many of which are under your control.

I'm not sure why you abandoned on finding the cave, l 'find but seal' as I race to get to the lowest (magma-filled) space or some higher intrusion but the usual practice I see described here is to find and exploit. Caverns are not a fort-abandoning issue unless they actually come with wildlife you're not prepared to tackle or seal yourself off from.

Still, your game is your game. I think you'd have fun learning more by playing through, but maybe a redo to integrate other things you learnt this time round (and then powering on through to other surprises) is as good. I hope you have fun, either way.

Thisfox

• Bay Watcher
  • Vixen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2021, 10:13:48 pm »

Welcome to the forums!

I'm confused. Why is finding a cave the end of a fortress?

I have a fort running right now which has one cave walled to the edges of the map, and another cave not walled off, but being exploited for spiderweb even so. It's hardly the end of my fortress. I mean, a forgotten beast might turn up, but if it does, I can wall off the cave vulnerable to that and watch the carnage if necessary. Or get the monster hunters I hired to actually do something other than drink the tavern dry.

Looks like you need to get that rock hauled a bit, might "unstick" it, as it's probably a burrowing or a stockpiling issue.
Mules gotta spleen. Dwarfs gotta eat.
Thisfox likes aquifers, olivine, Forgotten Beasts for their imagination, & dorfs for their stupidity. She prefers to consume gin & tonic. She absolutely detests Facebook.
"Urist McMason died out of pure spite to make you wonder why he was suddenly dead"
Oh god... Plump Helmet Man Mimes!