Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: should i make a thread about some of the useful things i found out from playing  (Read 2799 times)

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

using df hack to heal severed nerves and spinal injuries

and preventing dwarves from doing individual combat drill when not active for the current month amongst other things

when i did try to look for information like these i never found any up to date ones myself
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile

DFHack's "full-heal" command heals all injuries on the selected unit, including lost limbs.
I'm not sure there's a way to prevent individual combat drills on inactive months once they reach a certain skill level. I've just been disabling the barracks to force them to take time off.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 02:17:55 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh. i wasnt asking for advice. i meant i found out how to prevent those

didn't know there was a full heal command but that seems a bit gamey. i only heal nerve damage because it seems like one of those things that's super annoying. too easily occurs and doesn't hurt enemies as much as it hurts you. any serious injury can disable a limb so it does nothing as a mechanic to stop hostiles, but once your dwarves recover they're crippled for life from an injury that damaged the muscle layer

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2021, 03:44:13 pm by dwarfish »
"Likes cats for their ability to hunt vermin, and elves for their sensitive ears"

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh. i wasnt asking for advice. i meant i found out how to prevent those

didn't know there was a full heal command but that seems a bit gamey. i only heal nerve damage because it seems like one of those things that's super annoying. too easily occurs and doesn't hurt enemies as much as it hurts you. any serious injury can disable a limb so it does nothing as a mechanic to stop hostiles, but once your dwarves recover they're crippled for life from an injury that damaged the muscle layer

EDIT:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I enjoy that you name all your dwarves 'citizens'. I think you should always just make the thread, and skip making the 'should I make this thread' thread altogether...

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I enjoy that you name all your dwarves 'citizens'. I think you should always just make the thread, and skip making the 'should I make this thread' thread altogether...

citizens is cuz i started with a dead civ with no holdings, so a good portion of my population came from visitors who petitioned for citizenship. but then there are many suspicious ppl that come with them so it became like a game of Mafia. i named my captain of the guard "Sheriff" so he could confirm anyone who wasn't obviously sus. for the obvious ones the hatches magically locked when the came close and the only way in was through a spikey tunnel, often times crawling with undead corpses that suspiciously look like their accomplices...

didn't name the mayor or bothered to change the general labor therapist name for my fort after cuz im lazy

didn't wanna make a complete guide right away cuz im lazy, plus i didn't know if it was one of those well-guarded Dwarf Fortress secrets known only by veteran players who keep it amongst a close circle or if it was already known by many ppl but they just dont talk about it.

this community honestly never found the way to disable off-duty individual combat drills for v47? am i rlly the first? it requires no special hack or external utilities like dfhack

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile

citizens is cuz i started with a dead civ with no holdings, so a good portion of my population came from visitors who petitioned for citizenship. but then there are many suspicious ppl that come with them so it became like a game of Mafia. i named my captain of the guard "Sheriff" so he could confirm anyone who wasn't obviously sus. for the obvious ones the hatches magically locked when the came close and the only way in was through a spikey tunnel, often times crawling with undead corpses that suspiciously look like their accomplices...

didn't name the mayor or bothered to change the general labor therapist name for my fort after cuz im lazy

didn't wanna make a complete guide right away cuz im lazy, plus i didn't know if it was one of those well-guarded Dwarf Fortress secrets known only by veteran players who keep it amongst a close circle or if it was already known by many ppl but they just dont talk about it.

this community honestly never found the way to disable off-duty individual combat drills for v47? am i rlly the first? it requires no special hack or external utilities like dfhack

There is no "secret knowledge", DF is just complicated.  Lots of things to discover, and a running battle to keep documented.  Keep going!

RE: formating, would you mind capitalizing the first word of every sentence? I know it can be a pain with some phones, but it looks soooo much better.
Oh, and you can change the tread title!  So instead of "should I make a thread" it could be "Hey look at the cool feature(s) I found (DF Hack and more)!"

Pretty awesome way to play you got there, I haven't fiddled around with visitors petitioning for citizenship.  Best I ever did was get down to one surviving founding dwarf, who was barely alive (comatose one time I think), getting replenished by the migrant waves.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There is no "secret knowledge", DF is just complicated.  Lots of things to discover, and a running battle to keep documented.  Keep going!

RE: formating, would you mind capitalizing the first word of every sentence? I know it can be a pain with some phones, but it looks soooo much better.
Oh, and you can change the tread title!  So instead of "should I make a thread" it could be "Hey look at the cool feature(s) I found (DF Hack and more)!"

Pretty awesome way to play you got there, I haven't fiddled around with visitors petitioning for citizenship.  Best I ever did was get down to one surviving founding dwarf, who was barely alive (comatose one time I think), getting replenished by the migrant waves.
any mature fort needs to open up to visitors at one point or another. it's the only way to unlock the "interrogate" feature once suspicious visitors plot against you. yes you risk artifact loss, and dwarves permanently leaving once corrupted to give stolen artifacts and items to the boss even after the initial mafiosi is dead in your tavern but without the interrogate feature you cant use your sheriff to drag any stuck dwarf into the office to reset them

i've had strange moods become stuck after the vengeance system caused strange mood dwarf to attempt to aid the other dwarves and then they would just stand there while they dehydrate and not complete the artifact or cancel the mood after. interrogating them forces them to soft-restart the uncancel-able mood job. could easily result in berserkness and a loyalty cascade otherwise

sorry i cant capitalize the start, im on a keyboard, not phone, but im lazy and sometimes say alot

are you SURE SURE there is no secret knowledge community veterans keep to themselves?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What would be the point in that?
Just ask Toady if you want to know anything about his game.

This isn't some open source community project you know.

Moeteru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

are you SURE SURE there is no secret knowledge community veterans keep to themselves?
There's no "secret knowledge", just lots of obscure bits of information which can only be discovered by reading the right wiki page, looking up old forum posts, or even reading the source code for tools like DFhack. There are lots of discoveries which are deemed so insignificant or self-evident that people don't bother posting about them.
If you think what you've discovered is useful then make a thread about it or add it to the wiki.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

One thing I don’t get is DF’s _complete_ lack of nerve regeneration.   In real life, it’s only the central nervous system (I.e. the brain and spinal chord) that can’t regenerate.  The nerves in the peripheral nervous system can regenerate just fine after being damaged.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's no "secret knowledge", just lots of obscure bits of information which can only be discovered by reading the right wiki page, looking up old forum posts, or even reading the source code for tools like DFhack. There are lots of discoveries which are deemed so insignificant or self-evident that people don't bother posting about them.
If you think what you've discovered is useful then make a thread about it or add it to the wiki.

hmm... why don't we use an example then. i have an explanation for why visiting scholars run off with your books.

the reason is because they need to haul the book to read it, but since they aren't considered any kind of member of your fort they won't get a "store item in location" job attempt after they are done. if they had any fort member setting they would at least attempt the job and then drop the book if it's not a valid job for them. sometimes such a failed attempt will not generate a job cancellation because the game doesn't attempt the task if it isnt valid in some cases. but for visiting scholars since they arent any kind of member of your fort, they arent even checked at all

now. how many other ppl know this?

What would be the point in that?
Just ask Toady if you want to know anything about his game.
yea but he's usually too busy

One thing I don’t get is DF’s _complete_ lack of nerve regeneration.   In real life, it’s only the central nervous system (I.e. the brain and spinal chord) that can’t regenerate.  The nerves in the peripheral nervous system can regenerate just fine after being damaged.

not quite true but real life nerve injuries are rare outside of the spine for a reason. if a laceration only damages the muscle layer it means it didnt go through the bone to the muscles on the other side. new nerves will not grow and im not sure existing severed nerves can reconnect.

but i am sure that other nerves in undamaged muscle parts running down the arms will grow stronger and may even further extend into the parts with severed nerves (the cells themselves grow larger, not new cells).

thus in reality it's very hard to disable a limb from a laceration that doesnt go through the bone to the muscle on the other side

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He holds a monthly Q&A. Have you tried actually asking him a question?

Also, if what you say about scholars is true, everyone who wants to know and has bothered to use Dfhack to monitor scholar activity and then maybe and confirm their hypothesis with Toady knows this. Better question, how many people actually want to know this? One, two? It's not secret because it's irrelevant to anyone except someone working on coding a fix for the behaviour with Dfhack.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2021, 04:39:26 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

<snip>

not quite true but real life nerve injuries are rare outside of the spine for a reason. if a laceration only damages the muscle layer it means it didnt go through the bone to the muscles on the other side. new nerves will not grow and im not sure existing severed nerves can reconnect.

but i am sure that other nerves in undamaged muscle parts running down the arms will grow stronger and may even further extend into the parts with severed nerves (the cells themselves grow larger, not new cells).

thus in reality it's very hard to disable a limb from a laceration that doesnt go through the bone to the muscle on the other side

First of all I will refer you to Wikipedia’s article on Neuroregeneration

Second, I fail to see why a laceration would have to “go through the bone to the other side” in order to damage a nerve.  In real life, peripheral nerves aren’t cleanly separated from other tissues the way they are in DF.  Instead they pass over, under, around, and through tissues much like blood vessels do.  Also, if a laceration has to “go through the bone to the other side” to damage a nerve, that implies that there are no nerves on the side of the bone that the laceration starts from.  As the laceration can start from any side, this implies that there will never be any nerves on the side of the bone that the laceration starts from which further implies that the lacerated limb has no nerves to begin with.  I hope you can see where I am going here...
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

dwarfish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

He holds a monthly Q&A. Have you tried actually asking him a question?
oh didnt know he does that now

I hope you can see where I am going here...
i just meant there is more than one group of nerve cells running down a limb and for all of them to be served the arm would need to come off completely

ig i'll make the thread. then other ppl can make forts like mine where everyone is armed and armored in steel (and silver blunt weapons) and regularly cycle drilled (without needing to micro manage the barracks). Then you guys can (more easily) embark in terrifying biomes too!
Pages: [1] 2