Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Raw based music triggers  (Read 831 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Raw based music triggers
« on: March 13, 2021, 10:59:56 pm »

Inspired by how customizable the graphics raws are going to be, and not wanting to make my fotf post into more of a Suggestion than it already is, I've come here. Vanilla DF will have basic music if you buy the Steam version, but modders would surely like to enable More. Rather than just a couple of options in the options menu/init file, specific music triggers in the raws could be applied.

Specifically in the raws, I'd like to see music triggers for:
 Entity raws:
   Siege music (when attacked by that civ)

Entity specific seasonal music (for mods which enable playing of different civs)

Adventurer music: BGM when wandering in a site owned by that civ.

Creature raws:
 Attacked: For both fortress mode megabeast attacks and Adventurer attacks.

Encounter: When coming across a pack of certain animals. Fluffy wambler song! With weightings could be applied in Fortress too (would generally play seasonal music, but might occassionally remind you of the exploding hungry head population in your caverns).

Zombie attack and so on I guess would have to be in the options file somewhere unless new necro civ raws are added.

What else could be added for maximum modder flexibility? Music for certain rare interactions, perhaps?

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Raw based music triggers
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2021, 01:54:36 pm »

These kinds of things can be fun, although it takes a player being willing to spend the time organizing their music folder.

Dwarf Fortress is a "I have 3,000 hours of playtime" type of game, and there's no way you're going to get 3,000 hours worth of game music (even presuming players will listen to the same thing 50 times over, which most will not, you'd need 60 hours of music to do that), so basically everyone is going to wind up playing their own music at some point.  And... I already have my own music on my own music player I can play while playing a game, I don't need a "play everything on shuffle" feature.  The only reason to integrate it into the game is to have it trigger off of in-game events, so that you have "combat music" and "exploring a mysterious cave music" and "just getting work done in the fort music".

Having dynamic fading between soundtracks, so that it fades out of the designated town music as you drop down 10 z levels and take a peek at the caverns and starts playing the designated mysterious cave music, or starts playing the combat music only when combat is actively onscreen would be a cool effect.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2021, 02:12:41 pm »

(even presuming players will listen to the same thing 50 times over, which most will not, you'd need 60 hours of music to do that)
This is basically a general objection to having video game music at all, but most people like having video game music when playing video games. I listen to the dwarf fortress background music when playing dwarf fortress, for example, because that's what it's there for. Most people actually don't put on their own music over a game, in my experience.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2021, 02:30:11 pm »

I knew I had read this before.
(It happens to the best of us, human memory is messy enough that you can't always know whether that great idea is a new one, or one that is just resurfacing.)

It would be nice if each of these factors/requirements could be combined, so you may have a general track that plays during summers and also a track that plays during temperate biome summers. Or a track that plays in human towns during night. Or a track that plays when attacked when attacked by wolves, a track when attacked by wolves in a forest, and a final remix when this also happens during winter.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2021, 04:53:15 pm »

I knew I had read this before.
(It happens to the best of us, human memory is messy enough that you can't always know whether that great idea is a new one, or one that is just resurfacing.)

It would be nice if each of these factors/requirements could be combined, so you may have a general track that plays during summers and also a track that plays during temperate biome summers. Or a track that plays in human towns during night. Or a track that plays when attacked when attacked by wolves, a track when attacked by wolves in a forest, and a final remix when this also happens during winter.
That's about biomes, which aren't moddable in the raws as far as I know. But, yeah, should probably have used that thread.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2021, 04:56:59 pm »

This is basically a general objection to having video game music at all, but most people like having video game music when playing video games. I listen to the dwarf fortress background music when playing dwarf fortress, for example, because that's what it's there for. Most people actually don't put on their own music over a game, in my experience.

If a game is one I'll play for extremely long periods of time, I generally do play my own music.  I bought the soundtracks for Crusader Kings II, but there's still only so many times you can listen to In Taberna before it drives you nuts.  Most people don't put their own music over a game only because most people only play games that are finished in less than 30 hours.

Especially since a lot of long-term fort DF players are going to let the game run while minimized (where the music would get very annoying while you're doing something else), saying it's "just a minority, there's no reason to let them have options that wouldn't hurt the rest any" isn't really saying anything other than "I don't think I'll use it, therefore, anyone who would isn't important."
« Last Edit: March 14, 2021, 04:58:56 pm by NW_Kohaku »
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare