Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Multiverse Crash *WASTELAND*  (Read 1693 times)

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
Multiverse Crash *WASTELAND*
« on: January 31, 2021, 04:50:03 pm »

Discolored snow falls from the eternally clouded sky on to a blackened field. Those who had lived before would have thought it was ash raining down - and in a way they would be right. That coal-black snow piling on the ground probably has more contaminants than water. Normal humans wouldn't dare so much as touch it with their bare hands for fear of the countless maladies they'd contact in an instant. Less-normal humans would still worry at what could be hidden under the snow. Still as far as weather goes in the Wasteland, this is at least survivable to be out in. You can't afford to be picky.

"Doctor Osiris the Wise" (Jedediah Nils)

You have some difficulty with your first steps in the outside world. Specifically it seems that at some point during your efforts to keep the world out the world decided to return the favor and keep you in. At least you probably haven't been in the labyrinth long enough for this much dirt to pile up over the entrance. It looks like someone put it there deliberately and there are faint traces of magic deeper within.

Alexander Compact

You've been quite lucky the last month... Well as lucky as anyone struggling to survive in this world can be. You managed to find a nice bunker in the floor of a ruined house. It looks like its original owner never made it, so its stocked to the brim with supplies.

Or was at least. After a relatively comfortable month you are already running low on food and water. There is some basic equipment that you'll be able to take with you, but you'll probably have to leave the real bed behind. There is a small safe with a handful of firearms, a locker with a gas mask and some winter gear, and a box full of survival supplies in a tidy layout. You'll probably be able to replace some of your old gear and stock up on some new equipment before you make your way out.

Nothing could ruin this month!

Zing

You're starting to loose your way because of the snow. It isn't particularly disorienting in itself, but it is covering up the month-old human tracks you where following. Even your enhanced eyesight can't follow someone after this snow covers their path.

At the moment you arn't particularly starving. Your last meal wasn't filling but it was relatively recent. Two humans somehow managed to run into each other. These two humans then tried to kill each other for whatever reason. One looks like he got away, while the other barely managed to hold on to life. They bandaged their own arm and leg and tried to move around on a simple crutch. When you found them they could no longer move as an infection was starting to claim them. It was merciful if anything.

It was then that you ran into these tracks by chance. They arn't related to the fight before given the age, but it does probably mean humans think this is a safe path.

Daisy Summers

Your antenna arn't giving you a warning. This is probably the first time in a week that it stopped going off. And probably the longest it remained off for months. Truly this is a good opportunity to rest if you can find somewhere out of the snow!

Though that would probably be difficult given that everything around here has been totally leveled. There was a few rural shelters on this path and most are at least halfway destroyed. Some have underground shelters that managed to make it but what are the chances of finding one under the snow?

You notice something odd. Which is particularly odd because your antenna are saying nothing is odd. There is a small depression in the snow where it looks like some of it is melting.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

This is my waifu, this is my gun. This one's for fighting, this ones for fun.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Multiverse Crash *WASTELAND*
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2021, 05:09:42 pm »

Zing considers her options. Attempting to follow monthlong tracks was a rather dubious prospect even if the snow wasn't starting to cover them up. Any number of things can happen over the course of an entire month after all. They could have reached a settlement in this time, they might have gone through a place that would have wiped the tracks for unrelated reasons, or they might have fallen prey to any one of the myriad dangers that were more or less everywhere.

What was more interesting is that this appeared to be a (relatively) safe route. The implications of this is that with a bit of searching it might be possible to find some places that people use as shelter within a night's travel from here. Searching for such landmarks seemed like an optimal use of Zing's time.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2021, 05:37:49 pm »

Daisy takes a moment to look into the vast cloudy sky, a peaceful smile on her face as she watches the fluttering snowflakes with wonder. How beautiful! She closes her eyes for a bit, savoring the intimacy of the moment as the discolored snow drifts lightly onto her decorated helmet and combat suit.

She soon opens her eyes and notices the odd depression in the snow, blinking with curiosity. She takes out her plasma pistol and shoots the sooty ground near the depression a few times. "Mr. Rabbit? Why don't you come out and play?" She says with a curious smile, watching with alertness with her rocket boots powered, ready for anything.
Thou art the very love with which I love thee.
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2021, 08:51:32 pm »

Hmph. How rude.

Dr. Osiris took stock of his equipment. Shovel? Check. Pick and chisel? Yes. Array of brushes? Indeed. Assorted cutting implements? No doubt. Suturing equipment and spare parts? Of course, no reason to be caught off guard in case of damage.
Platoon of excavator steam-zombies? Naturally. Gaggle of guard skelmechs? Of course. His most recent lab assistant? Why, ye- wait.

Athena? Athena, where have you wandered off to?
Dr. Osiris scanned the tunnels behind him, absentmindedly instructing the excavators to begin reopening the exit to his lab; the sound of their shovel-arms shking into the dirt made for a reasonably pleasant backdrop. But where was Athena?
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Normalcy is constructed, not absolute.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2021, 11:37:50 pm »

Take an SMG or something similar from the safe. Even if it's only a semiauto civilian version, something I can carry a lot of ammo for and not need to reload will be good. Heavy pistol as backup, for when I inevitably run into a heavily armored bug or something.
Be sure to check the filter on the gas mask, and if it's good wear it on top of my head for now. Wear the winter clothes, put the tools in my pack.

Take the blankets from the bed, as well. Even if I don't find a use for them, they're valuable in trade, especially in winter.

"Ahh, that was a good vacation. Best I've had since I was like, five. Ain't no rest for the wicked."

Alexander vaguely registers the fact that he's now several different people. For whatever reason, it didn't seem that notable. Of course, this incarnation seemed the worst off of the lot, but that's to be expected.

Time to move. Never stop for too long, that's the way. Keep those legs moving!

"...Till we close our eyes for good."

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2021, 05:05:34 pm »

Zing considers her options. Attempting to follow monthlong tracks was a rather dubious prospect even if the snow wasn't starting to cover them up. Any number of things can happen over the course of an entire month after all. They could have reached a settlement in this time, they might have gone through a place that would have wiped the tracks for unrelated reasons, or they might have fallen prey to any one of the myriad dangers that were more or less everywhere.

What was more interesting is that this appeared to be a (relatively) safe route. The implications of this is that with a bit of searching it might be possible to find some places that people use as shelter within a night's travel from here. Searching for such landmarks seemed like an optimal use of Zing's time.

Thusfar, the area along the path has been free of anything that could be considered shelter. You are in what appears to be the remains of a forest, the straight path ahead has good visibility but the charcoaled remnants of trees block the line of sight to your left and right. While they don't stand proud and tall as they had in their prime, the crumpled logs form enough cover that they are difficult to see through all the same.

Is there any particular method you would like to use in your search?

Daisy takes a moment to look into the vast cloudy sky, a peaceful smile on her face as she watches the fluttering snowflakes with wonder. How beautiful! She closes her eyes for a bit, savoring the intimacy of the moment as the discolored snow drifts lightly onto her decorated helmet and combat suit.

She soon opens her eyes and notices the odd depression in the snow, blinking with curiosity. She takes out her plasma pistol and shoots the sooty ground near the depression a few times. "Mr. Rabbit? Why don't you come out and play?" She says with a curious smile, watching with alertness with her rocket boots powered, ready for anything.

A hiss of snow turning into steam follows the sound of your pistol's discharge. It clears a several-foot hole (leaving behind god knows what) revealing a metal rectangle. It looks like the entrance to some sort of bunker. Probably an inhabited one if it is warm enough to melt the snow.

Currently the door makes no attempts to fight back, and your warning system is still giving you the silent treatment.

Hmph. How rude.

Dr. Osiris took stock of his equipment. Shovel? Check. Pick and chisel? Yes. Array of brushes? Indeed. Assorted cutting implements? No doubt. Suturing equipment and spare parts? Of course, no reason to be caught off guard in case of damage.
Platoon of excavator steam-zombies? Naturally. Gaggle of guard skelmechs? Of course. His most recent lab assistant? Why, ye- wait.

Athena? Athena, where have you wandered off to?
Dr. Osiris scanned the tunnels behind him, absentmindedly instructing the excavators to begin reopening the exit to his lab; the sound of their shovel-arms shking into the dirt made for a reasonably pleasant backdrop. But where was Athena?

Your minions begin to dig at the entrance to some effect. Most of the effort involves moving the dirt from the entrance to some other place without blocking off any part of the labyrinth.

After a few shovelfuls, they come headfirst into that magical signal you sensed earlier. It soon becomes clear that the source of this signal has two functions: One it makes a loud noise like church bells going off, two it explodes in a large fireball not only damaging one of your excavators with concussive force but also setting it on fire. You sense....probably two more where your entrance should be.

No idea where Athena is. There is a good chance she can't hear any verbal commands over the incredibly loud churchbells and/or explosives.

Take an SMG or something similar from the safe. Even if it's only a semiauto civilian version, something I can carry a lot of ammo for and not need to reload will be good. Heavy pistol as backup, for when I inevitably run into a heavily armored bug or something.
Be sure to check the filter on the gas mask, and if it's good wear it on top of my head for now. Wear the winter clothes, put the tools in my pack.

Take the blankets from the bed, as well. Even if I don't find a use for them, they're valuable in trade, especially in winter.

"Ahh, that was a good vacation. Best I've had since I was like, five. Ain't no rest for the wicked."

Alexander vaguely registers the fact that he's now several different people. For whatever reason, it didn't seem that notable. Of course, this incarnation seemed the worst off of the lot, but that's to be expected.

Time to move. Never stop for too long, that's the way. Keep those legs moving!

"...Till we close our eyes for good."

You find what looks like a civilian version of an SMG that was modified to fire full-auto like the weapon it was based on. At least that is the most likely reason the selector switch has a picture for the safety and single shot with the letters "FA" for the full auto. The pistol is of the same caliber as the submachine gun meaning you'll only have to carry around one type of bullet. Handy! The gas mask filter at least looks good, there are an annoying amount of things in this world that could ruin it without showing. Lucky most of them would probably have killed you already if they where in this bunker, so you're probably safe.

After gathering up your gear you make to leave. As you're unlocking the hatch you notice it seems to be unnaturally warm even through your gloves.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2021, 05:18:17 pm »

Zing puts an emphasis on searching a wide area at high speed, relying more on her enhanced sense of smell than her vision which can be easily blocked in this terrain. Via this method, Zing intends to increase her odds of finding something even if it means missing a number of other things.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2021, 01:17:07 am »

That could be bad. As I open the hatch toss a bolt through it.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2021, 02:55:52 am »

Daisy's eyes widen at the sight of the mysterious bunker. "Mr. Rabbit built a BUNKER?!" She rocket-jumps over to the entrance of the bunker and examines it, knocking on the door (if there is one) a few times. "Helllooooooo???"
Ear teeth

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2021, 06:36:56 pm »

Dr. Osiris swiftly casts a smothering spell, dousing his minions in a thick layer of carbon dioxide. Damages can be evaluated and repaired later; after all, that's what metal is for!
As for the remaining explosives. Hmn.
Don't they know that I'm supposed to make the traps? Hmph. No matter.

He then has one of his more precise steamies start digging toward the other signals, not close enough to activate them, but close enough for Dr. Osiris to start unweaving the mana for use elsewhere. He also directed three of the skelmechs to go back and locate Athena. Really, she should be here. What was the point of a research assistant if they couldn't assist you?

Those lines of thought all thought through and acted on, a section of the doctor's mind drifted to something else.

>Why, hello there, you two!
>What.
>Uh, hi?
>I could not help but take notice of your bantering-
>Identify yourself before you go off into dramatics.
>Why, of course! My apologies, it has been some several centuries since I have had to introduce myself. I am the illustrious Dr. Osiris the Wise, expert on the undead form and mechanics, and pioneer in the art of integrating the cutting-edge power of steam!
>Several centuries- how old are you?!
>Steam is not even slightly cutting-edge. Explain what you mean by "undead".
>Well, I have rather lost count, but I am at least mostly certain that I am several centuries old, based on the magic tides. Though that does assume that they have not shifted pace over time. I cannot actually see the sun down here, though I have recently resolved to get outside and do some archaeology!
>And do you mean to say you are unfamiliar with the undead? Fascinating. They are, of course, the reanimated remains of organic beings!
>...and you are integrating steam into this equation...how, precisely?
>I think I may not want to hear this.
>It is not just steam, of course not! It is intricate cogwork, allowing for the replacement and even addition of limbs, and providing a myriad of additional functions that flesh and bone are simply unsuited for. I am quite proud of it, I must say. Came up with it after a few dwarves' corpses were recovered from the labyrinth. They had these tube-shaped items that used steam pressure to launch projectiles! It was quite fascinating, and I just had to do more research into the applications.
>...a gun. They had guns - not even good ones - and you somehow extrapolated the mechanics into making mechanical limbs.
>Bye, I'm done, I don't want to hear where the rest of this discussion goes.
>Are you interested in my research methodology? Ah, it began when one of my research assistants accidentally shot their hand off during analysis, a minor mishap of course...

This continues for at least an hour, so we're clear. Thankfully, discussionspace doesn't seem to actually have any temporal connection to realspace in any of the worlds. Nothing could get done, otherwise.

Stirk

• Bay Watcher
  • Full Metal Nutball
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2021, 07:17:00 pm »

Zing puts an emphasis on searching a wide area at high speed, relying more on her enhanced sense of smell than her vision which can be easily blocked in this terrain. Via this method, Zing intends to increase her odds of finding something even if it means missing a number of other things.

Relying on your nose seems to have been a mistake. You are greeted by the scent of sulfur, ash, ozone, and more esoteric smells. You'd need advanced knowledge of both chemistry and the occult just to identify all the scents this hellish snow is giving off. It easily overpowers the more subtle scents that could lead to anything useful.

Still where your eyes and nose failed you your ears pull through. You hear gunshots a relatively short distance away. Maybe this path isn't as safe as those humans think?

Daisy's eyes widen at the sight of the mysterious bunker. "Mr. Rabbit built a BUNKER?!" She rocket-jumps over to the entrance of the bunker and examines it, knocking on the door (if there is one) a few times. "Helllooooooo???"
That could be bad. As I open the hatch toss a bolt through it.

Daisy's warning system goes off each each knock on the door. A moment later Alexander opens the hatch and throws a bolt. It kicks up a puff of black snow forming a dark cloud that takes far too long to settle down.

Dr. Osiris swiftly casts a smothering spell, dousing his minions in a thick layer of carbon dioxide. Damages can be evaluated and repaired later; after all, that's what metal is for!
As for the remaining explosives. Hmn.
Don't they know that I'm supposed to make the traps? Hmph. No matter.

He then has one of his more precise steamies start digging toward the other signals, not close enough to activate them, but close enough for Dr. Osiris to start unweaving the mana for use elsewhere. He also directed three of the skelmechs to go back and locate Athena. Really, she should be here. What was the point of a research assistant if they couldn't assist you?

Those lines of thought all thought through and acted on, a section of the doctor's mind drifted to something else.

>Why, hello there, you two!
>What.
>Uh, hi?
>I could not help but take notice of your bantering-
>Identify yourself before you go off into dramatics.
>Why, of course! My apologies, it has been some several centuries since I have had to introduce myself. I am the illustrious Dr. Osiris the Wise, expert on the undead form and mechanics, and pioneer in the art of integrating the cutting-edge power of steam!
>Several centuries- how old are you?!
>Steam is not even slightly cutting-edge. Explain what you mean by "undead".
>Well, I have rather lost count, but I am at least mostly certain that I am several centuries old, based on the magic tides. Though that does assume that they have not shifted pace over time. I cannot actually see the sun down here, though I have recently resolved to get outside and do some archaeology!
>And do you mean to say you are unfamiliar with the undead? Fascinating. They are, of course, the reanimated remains of organic beings!
>...and you are integrating steam into this equation...how, precisely?
>I think I may not want to hear this.
>It is not just steam, of course not! It is intricate cogwork, allowing for the replacement and even addition of limbs, and providing a myriad of additional functions that flesh and bone are simply unsuited for. I am quite proud of it, I must say. Came up with it after a few dwarves' corpses were recovered from the labyrinth. They had these tube-shaped items that used steam pressure to launch projectiles! It was quite fascinating, and I just had to do more research into the applications.
>...a gun. They had guns - not even good ones - and you somehow extrapolated the mechanics into making mechanical limbs.
>Bye, I'm done, I don't want to hear where the rest of this discussion goes.
>Are you interested in my research methodology? Ah, it began when one of my research assistants accidentally shot their hand off during analysis, a minor mishap of course...

This continues for at least an hour, so we're clear. Thankfully, discussionspace doesn't seem to actually have any temporal connection to realspace in any of the worlds. Nothing could get done, otherwise.

You put out the fire using your smothering spell. One should probably avoid thinking too hard about the logistics of gasses and fire in this place given you've apparently been buried for who knows how long.

You shout your orders over the unrelenting din of the church bells carefully dismantling the various explosives as you cross them. Eventually your diggers stop hitting dirt and start hitting some strange agglomeration of rocks that seems to be man-made rather than natural. This slows down your digging quite a bit as your diggers are forced to go through this apparently hardened material. After what feels like another century you eventually break through to where the end of your cave should be.

Its dark out. Everything seems to be covered by a few inches of black snow. Athena and your skelemechs have yet to show up. Have they somehow gotten lost in your ever-shifting labyrinth?

The Church bells don't stop ringing. In fact, every time you successfully dismantle one of the traps a new set of churchbells rings. You can't seem to find the source of this incredibly annoying sound.

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2021, 10:08:31 pm »

Zing slows down to cautiously investigate the sound of gunfire, and discards the idea that 'humans think this is a safe path' as that idea is not grounded in solid evidence.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2021, 01:52:29 am »

Alex discourteously points his weapon at the stranger.

"Hi. Drop your weapon."

Glass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2021, 11:53:44 pm »

-_-

Dr. Osiris turned back toward his labyrinth.

We are not leaving until I have my research assistant. Everyone, we are going back and forming a search party.
This labyrinth was a mistake...

And back inwards they went, led by an exceedingly irate semi-mechanical lich.

MeimieFan88

• Bay Watcher
  • owoing around~
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 08, 2021, 06:36:02 am »

Daisy tilts her head, eyes widening at the man wearing a gas mask pointing his weapon at her. What's that blue ribbon behind him? It looks so girly! She can't help but giggle a bit at the man's contradictory appearance.

"Okay, okay! I'll drop my weapon..." She kneels down and slowly puts her pistol on the ground before standing back up again. "There. I'm all disarmed now. I'm practically defenseless... What are you planning to do with me?!" She says in a slightly dramatic way, looking curiously at the masked man.
Ear teeth
Pages: [1] 2