Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Stress & Psyche 47.05  (Read 26563 times)

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
Re: Stress & Psyche 47.05
« Reply #75 on: February 27, 2021, 01:56:16 am »

My captain of the guard seems to be holding steady at 'fine' right now.  Inadequate prison facilities have left a mark, though.  Xospu never feels hatred toward anyone or anything, a strengthening after the scarcity of cages and chains in 61.  They are impervious to the effects of stress, strengthened after scarce c&c in 57.  They have a very calm demeanor, after scarce c&c in 56.  So all in all, they handled the cages and chains shortage pretty well - might be having more trouble if they'd cracked instead of strengthening.
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 27, 2021, 07:39:21 am »

So from what i gather in this thread people have observed dwarves socializing and making friends without having to make special room designs to obtain some friends.
But have anyone playing that current version observed marriage happening between your dwarves that are NOT involving one of the starting seven dwarves ?

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 27, 2021, 05:44:49 pm »

(response to removed posts removed)

Games also change. Anyone in the "things are too easy now" boat? I've been trying to drive dwarves insane by failing to provide for their needs, and it's been almost 2 years of no-rooms, no 'real' food, only a small temple, and no tavern, and the dwarves are doing fine. I keep them busy, and this is hardly scientific, but you think my community would raise concerns about a complete lack of indoor spaces after 2 years of settlement.

I imagine that trying to balance this game is like riding a giant pendulum. .
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:23:54 pm by Toady One »

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2021, 05:53:23 pm »

...Anyone in the "things are too easy now" boat? ...

So far, yes.  But I haven't experienced a siege in 47.05 yet in 4 years.
The 110 dwarfs don't need bedrooms to keep happy, I'm using dormitories.
They are all out in the rain daily, but they have enough alcohol & food.
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 27, 2021, 08:48:44 pm »

...Anyone in the "things are too easy now" boat? ...

So far, yes.  But I haven't experienced a siege in 47.05 yet in 4 years.
The 110 dwarfs don't need bedrooms to keep happy, I'm using dormitories.
They are all out in the rain daily, but they have enough alcohol & food.
I've had multiple sieges which I'm defending with splattery weapon traps and close combat right in the main entranceway to the fortress. It's a gruesome sight.

Thus far, one stressed dwarf, and his reason is mainly lack of martial arts practice. Ha ha. He's holding steady at long-term stress but I ended up giving him a month of training with the militia to cheer him up a bit and then sent him out on an artifact quest far away. Hopefully will keep him busy for a while.

(For some reason there are multiple elf parts in my finished goods pile right below the splatter corridor. I can't see any holes in the floor, so I assume parts just sprayed through the floor somewhat buggily).

Edit
--
Only one guy to deal with is pretty nice, but I'm only 3 years in, so this is no indicator of inevitable long-term stress spiral syndrome.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2021, 08:58:46 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Demonic Gophers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Tunnels
« Reply #80 on: February 27, 2021, 09:31:52 pm »

According to Dwarf Therapist, my least happy resident is at about 1,200 stress.  He doesn't handle stress well, is upset that I haven't been making any pants or shoes that fit him, and as a furnace operator, has been too busy smelting to do much of anything else that might cheer him up.  A couple of others have a few hundred stress - as best I can tell, it's mostly from fear over trauma.  Most of the population is at 0 stress or better.  I haven't been going to great efforts to keep them happy, beyond good meals and plenty to drink, but I also haven't intentionally exposed them to significant stress besides rain and piles of corpses.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:24:29 pm by Toady One »
*Digs tunnel under thread.*
I also answer to Gophers and DG.
Quote from: Shades of Gray
*Says something inspiring and quote worthy.*
Opinions are great, they're like onions with pi.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 27, 2021, 10:01:11 pm »

In stress related news, I've lost my one stressed dwarf. He was chilling in the tavern after his second successful artifact quest when an army of hobbits attacked (vicious little things). He had no fortress defence obligations, could have spent the time dancing and enjoying dark elf poetry, but his extreme sadness at being unable to practice martial arts drove him up to the surface. Taking out 5 hobbits, 2 war leopards and a couple of war dogs he finally collapsed from exhaustion, having proven his point, and was trampled by a beakdog.

Stress leading to a fun story, very nice. Gonna have to wait for another stressed dwarf to continue testing though.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 07:24:53 pm by Toady One »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 28, 2021, 03:53:43 am »

;
(For some reason there are multiple elf parts in my finished goods pile right below the splatter corridor. I can't see any holes in the floor, so I assume parts just sprayed through the floor somewhat buggily).
:
Severed body parts and ammo (not severed, though) falling through floors to the room below is a known bug.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 28, 2021, 03:54:42 am »

I noticed after importing an older fort and playing with it for a while that stress levels gravitated towards and stay at exactly 0 for most of my dwarves. I had previously used a DFHack cheat, so everybody was ecstatic going in, but after a few years the stress curve of my dwarves looks like 0/0/4/101/7/9/42.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 28, 2021, 04:11:19 am »

;
:
Severed body parts and ammo (not severed, though) falling through floors to the room below is a known bug.
Ah, thanks. I knew about the ammo. Forgot it also applies to high-velocity elf limbs.

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 28, 2021, 05:17:03 am »

[...] I had previously used a DFHack cheat, so everybody was ecstatic going in, [...]

On that note, in my going around and asking folks for their feedback on stress in 47.05, I've begun asking those who reported no stress at all whether they were certain they'd reverted any 47.04 stress-related raw changes, DFhack effects, and so on, and had two admit with embarrassment they indeed had not. The first I asked because I know he habitually adds several additional civilized races as opponents, and I've been asking everyone since.

Just something to keep in mind. Neither of them have made reports in this thread.
Team Bug Fix!

brewer bob

• Bay Watcher
  • euphoric due to inebriation
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 28, 2021, 05:40:23 am »

Anyone in the "things are too easy now" boat? I've been trying to drive dwarves insane by failing to provide for their needs

Hard to say with only one short-lived fort this far, and it had some personal mods in it (though none of them should be affecting stress, but can't say for certain).

I made an aboveground fort in an area with nearly constant rain and didn't bother to set up a temporary shelter. Dwarves were bothered by it, but the amount of stress (checked with manipulator) was closer to what previously "doesn't mind working outdoors" dwarves got. Didn't really need to do anything to get rid of the small amount they got from it. That seems to be a good change as rain was my biggest issue with the stress, but the fort didn't last long enough to see what long-term effects would've followed (I did get a couple of personality changes, but they were mild compared to before).

I had to really work to get my dwarves miserable and stressed out. In the first 1,5 years there was only a couple corpses lying around and it didn't take any time for most dwarves to not really care about anything anymore. Don't again know what long-term effects this would've had, but I certainly hope that dwarves will continue to get horrified and stressed by corpses. I've never had a problem with them going crazy because of corpses (except maybe the cases where a tooth/nose/whatever was stuck in a tree and kept stressing them for years until I accidentally found it) - I think it's one thing that makes DF dwarves different from the stereotypical fantasy dwarf.

I finally managed to get one dwarf stressed when I faced an undead siege, sent all my unarmed and untrained dwarves to slay them only to have all but that one dwarf killed. The survivor managed to crawl away from the carnage with the ability grasp and stand lost and, I assume, hid behind a wall. There he lay continuously harassed by two ghosts, being rained upon, starving and dehydrated. Only at this point the stress climbed over the limit where he started tantruming (and died soon after when the remaining siegers found him).

But yeah, first impressions from a short (modded) fort: rain is better now, stress barely needs managing and is (too?) easily decreased, and dwarves get awfully quick desensitized (which I personally don't think is a good change). But we'll see how my impressions change after a longer fort.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 28, 2021, 06:46:43 am »

[...] I had previously used a DFHack cheat, so everybody was ecstatic going in, [...]

On that note, in my going around and asking folks for their feedback on stress in 47.05, I've begun asking those who reported no stress at all whether they were certain they'd reverted any 47.04 stress-related raw changes, DFhack effects, and so on, and had two admit with embarrassment they indeed had not. The first I asked because I know he habitually adds several additional civilized races as opponents, and I've been asking everyone since.

Just something to keep in mind. Neither of them have made reports in this thread.

I'd also note that Vettlingr's tileset, which seems to be rather popular, comes with modified raws that reduce the STRESS_VULNERABILITY for dwarves. Something to keep in mind when testing stress in the current version.

xordae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 28, 2021, 07:20:24 am »

In my case it was just using remove-stress -all once in a while, which puts dwarves at maximum happiness but leaves needs and the general workings of the stress system alone.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #89 on: February 28, 2021, 07:38:22 am »

So, I can't believe I need to say this, but I'm starting to wonder if Toady nerfed stress a *tad* too hard. Behavior wise, we're a lot closer to say v34, which was the last major branch w/o needs, and I very rarely see dwarfs take time off anymore, and it seems unless you killed a dwarf's entire family, the stress amounts don't seem to move much ...
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11