Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Fort Designs for Reclaiming Embark  (Read 514 times)

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Fort Designs for Reclaiming Embark
« on: January 21, 2021, 06:57:27 pm »

I've been trying to get into reclaiming world-gen forts, and they're kinda all the same. Maybe I haven't been able to get far enough into them to appreciate their variety.

Since they're not truly random, I assume there's some sort of template, for lack of a better word. I'm sure users would be happy to submit all sorts of designs to choose from, including soaring towers, massive castles, and ghost towns to be reclaimed. Plus just different underground fort designs and different location types.

I think it'd add a lot of re-play value.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fort Designs for Reclaiming Embark
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 08:47:35 pm »

They are basically placeholders at this point. Unfortunately there is much work that needs to be done before they can be improved:
We've also been convinced by this process that doing the map rewrite as part of the Big Wait is necessary. For instance, I was able to get guildhalls and counting houses to appear in non-player dwarf forts, but it was an iffy thing, and there are bandaids all over the place. The inability to extend map code smoothly is going to inhibit a lot of what we want to do with magic and beyond, so we'll definitely be tackling that. We were leaning that way anyway, since planes and portals and multiple cameras (e.g. seeing off-site dwarf battles while running your fort) are all pretty cool, but now it feels compelled. There are a ton of benefits to this, but the Big Wait will indeed be Big, even if the map rewrite is most of what we do at first.

(As a reminder, the Big Wait is the development time for the first myth/magic release. This will happen after the Steam/itch release, and after any immediate improvements that follow Steam/itch - candidates are listed on dev, like improved sieges, adventurer mode medical improvements, etc. The length is unavoidable due to the interlinking of systems, but we'll try to make it as short as we can.)
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Stadfradt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Fort Designs for Reclaiming Embark
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2021, 07:45:07 am »

They are basically placeholders at this point. Unfortunately there is much work that needs to be done before they can be improved...

Bummer.