Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Suggestions for friendships and acquantances. Hallway chatter.  (Read 538 times)

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Suggestions for friendships and acquantances. Hallway chatter.
« on: January 20, 2021, 09:26:23 am »

When a dwarf comes past an acquantance or a friend (within 5 squares), there should be a chance that a social event happens. The event happens if either both or just one of the dwarfs roll so it creates the social event.

The chance of an event happening should be set low - so that the fort does not get bogged down in chatter and nothing gets done, but also high enough so that it happens frequently. IDK maybe 5%.

The chance of the social event should depend on a) how long ago have the dwarves socialized, the chance increases the longer they haven't done it b) some jobs should have zero or no chance of socializing (for instance a doctor on the way to operate should have a very low chance of socializing on the way to get to the hospital, the events also don't happen in temples, barracks, libraries as it is improper there.).

Some jobs should have zero chance of it happening (soldiers with a station order, and active military in general) and ! jobs should also have zero chance of it. Under invasions the chance should also be set to zero. (And I am sure I forgot some things. The general idea is that they do it on the way to craft some stone goblets, and that the army doesn't pause to socialize while they're on their way to help some dwarves being slaughtered by a werebeast.)

Pherhaps it should be possible to create no-socialize zones. It depends how much the player is supposed to control it; personally I'd feel fine about accidents happening because the dwarves stood and chatted about the weather in a dangerous place. IDK what most player would like.

The social events are A) simply greet each other B) have a short chat for a minute C) pause whatever they are doing to have a conversation which takes a little while. The C could be taken from the list of events that happen in the tavern; honestly it would be fine if they sometimes sung a song together in the hallway.

The probabilities of which social event happens should depend on the dwarves relationship status.

For acquaintances say 90% for A, and 2.5% chance for B and C.

For friends, relatives, relationships 50% for A, 25% to each B and C.

For children the conversation is replaced by "play with."

Unacquianted dwarves/other people never even greet each other.

Perspectives: Undoubtedly this would affect the layout of the map, depending if the player wants hallway chatter or not. It would mean a design with a big central hallway/staircase would lead to a lot of banter, and then you could make seveal smaller staircases if you didn't like it or if it got too much.

It would make it more interesting to follow the dwarves social life, it would make it more realistic, and it would probably create some surprising places for a lot of socializing happened. It could lead to the player having to separate two armorers from working in the same room, in order to have them focus on their work.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: Suggestions for friendships and acquantances. Hallway chatter.
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2021, 09:33:43 am »

I kind of thought that they would already do some minor socializing if they came across someone they knew in the hallway.  At least, they can get pregnant if they randomly bump into their spouse (no pun intended) in the hall.

Anyway, dwarves are fond of drink and industry, so I don't think they'd just drop their crafting job in the middle of grabbing another iron bar because they saw their co-worker and decided to have a dance-off in the hallway, and would instead maybe try to time their breaks so that they could go with a co-worker to the tavern at the same time and get drinks together.  (In fact, I'd expect they'd make half their friends from who they were next to while chugging from the keg...) While simple greetings might be fine for acquaintances, only those they are friends with might get a short conversation (defined as actually stopping to converse for a few turns), and I'd expect they would only prevent relationship decay, not actually promote relationships.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2021, 10:00:56 am »

Perhaps a bit over-complicated, but % should be modified by where the dwarf's numbers are on these sliders: FRIENDLINESS, PRIVACY, and GREGARIOUSNESS.

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2021, 08:05:01 am »

I kind of thought that they would already do some minor socializing if they came across someone they knew in the hallway.  At least, they can get pregnant if they randomly bump into their spouse (no pun intended) in the hall.

Anyway, dwarves are fond of drink and industry, so I don't think they'd just drop their crafting job in the middle of grabbing another iron bar because they saw their co-worker and decided to have a dance-off in the hallway, and would instead maybe try to time their breaks so that they could go with a co-worker to the tavern at the same time and get drinks together.  (In fact, I'd expect they'd make half their friends from who they were next to while chugging from the keg...) While simple greetings might be fine for acquaintances, only those they are friends with might get a short conversation (defined as actually stopping to converse for a few turns), and I'd expect they would only prevent relationship decay, not actually promote relationships.

I think Toady could tweak it so that socialization decreased when the dwarves were doing interesting crafting jobs - it makes sense to me that a dwarf would be like "I can't talk now Urist, I am busy!" when he is doing a job of making 10 craft objects.

But it does make sense to me they'd socialize when doing hauling, cleaning, fish cleaning, woodcutting and so on. I mean, if Urist an Urist are friends but haven't talked to each other for a year, and then they meet in the hallway with Urist on his way to haul a rock and Urist on his way to clean his fish, I'd find it fair they stopped to chat.

It can be expressed by making the chance for socialization decrease with interesting jobs?

Myself I find it unsatisfactory that socialization ONLY happens in the tavern. I find it weird dwarfs cannot build relationshiops based on say having a bedroom next to each other for five years so they bump into each other to and from there. And also that some furnace operators working in the same room right next to each other for years also don't develop relationships.

When you look at the relations screes of dwarves after 5 years you can see they only get relations in the tavern. So often I have some "bar flys" that for some reason spent a lot if time in the tavern that are aquanted with everybody (like a soldier i forgot to put in a squad so they're been idle a year or visitors), but those that actually work can maybe have 2 casual acquantances.

But yeah it's a balance because we don't want work to grind to a standstill and that the player looses ability to get stuff done relatively fast because of too much uncontrolled cocialization.

I think that can be fixed by tweaking and testing to spontanoeus socialization happens, but so rarely that it doesn't feel like you can't get them to do things.