Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11

Author Topic: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Game End- Town Victory  (Read 12713 times)

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Think Twice: Newbie Mafia Day 1-The Heist Is Afoot.
« Reply #75 on: January 13, 2021, 08:58:37 am »

No, Rose is number one on my scumlist. Dunno why I said that earlier. The reason for that is that I think she's being really passive just trying to survive.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:56 am »

Secretdorf: Was there anything particular that web had said to make you think he is scum?
Nothing. I think scumteam is {Rose, Vector}/{Rose, Webadict}. That is because I think you are town. Its just a gut read though.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 13, 2021, 10:00:35 am »

To note, Godfather/Flagbearer is how it is, I just copied from the setup names. Either way, they are the one with the usb you need to find. Find them, and you get the data back, and your careers are safe.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: January 13, 2021, 10:46:41 am »

Webadict and Vector: How do you act towny when you are scum? Do you find it easy?
Practice. How do you act Townie when you are Town? The question itself is hard to describe, but there are factors that show in a player's message because they are privy to external information. This subconsciously causes them to do things to try to make themselves seem Townie (as Vector pointed out, overdefending), have no suspicions (since they know who is Mafia and Town already), or make decisions that would benefit them as Mafia (bandwagoning on a player without reasoning).

So, experienced players learn to avoid some of these tells for their benefit.

@Secretdorf: Why not Vector/me? That possibility exists, no?

@Rose: Who are your top picks for Mafia? From your statement, you do not appear to be making judgments about anyone.

I am currently under the belief that the scum team is Secretdorf/Vector, but these are for meta reasons. I want Rose in those suspicions, though, as a solid third pick, but I have reasons to discount them.

I will ask more questions later. Feel free to keep asking me while I'm at work.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 13, 2021, 12:14:02 pm »

Rose: Your last post makes me think you're town (not a complete town read though).
Thank you.
Everyone: Right now who are you willing to lynch? And who do you think is the scumteam(townies can just make a guess)? I am growing increasingly suspicious of a webadict/Luckyowl and webadict/Vector scumteam.(not based upon some post making them look scummy just my thoughts).
Top pic right now is still Luckyowl. Secretdorf, no offence, doesn't really seem to be experienced enough to convincingly lie about things.

As for scumteam, probably Luckyowl and Vector

No, Rose is number one on my scumlist. Dunno why I said that earlier. The reason for that is that I think she's being really passive just trying to survive.
It's just how I play, though. And as I mentioned, I was pretty busy yesterday, so wasn't really able to post as much as I'd have liked.

@Rose: Who are your top picks for Mafia? From your statement, you do not appear to be making judgments about anyone.

I am currently under the belief that the scum team is Secretdorf/Vector, but these are for meta reasons. I want Rose in those suspicions, though, as a solid third pick, but I have reasons to discount them.
What are those meta reasons you're talking about? The only reason I can think of would be if you're mafia, and you know who the mafia actually are.

Which makes me suspect you more than Vector, making my current best guess for Mafia being Luckyowl and webadict.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 13, 2021, 12:54:22 pm »

Secretdorf, no offence, doesn't really seem to be experienced enough to convincingly lie about things.
I have a really bad memory and I am not a good liar either. I feel like you're playing like how I would play if I was scum. That is being passive. But I can see why a newbie townie could also play like that.

Rose: What makes you think Luckyowl is mafia?

Webadict: Same as Rose asked you.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 13, 2021, 01:11:37 pm »

@Secretdorf: Why not Vector/me? That possibility exists, no?

Honestly I feel like you're giving us hints. EVERY possibility exists but it will become clearer with time. I mean there's still some time left before we have to vote to catch the thief. I'm trying to collect information as best as I can.

Webadict: If you and Vector were scumteam, would you be throwing hints for newbies?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: January 13, 2021, 01:31:28 pm »

Secretdorf, no offence, doesn't really seem to be experienced enough to convincingly lie about things.
I have a really bad memory and I am not a good liar either. I feel like you're playing like how I would play if I was scum. That is being passive. But I can see why a newbie townie could also play like that.

They seem to be enthusiastically quick to start pinning things on people.

I'm curious how I come off as being passive, though.

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 13, 2021, 01:40:16 pm »

Because of your reads list earlier in which you cleared all people. Also I don't think pinning things on people is bad. Its what makes them say things they shouldn't because of pressure.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 13, 2021, 04:29:16 pm »

If you think that LuckyOwl and Webadict are scum (or LO and I, or whoever), then -> use follow-up questions to add pressure -> get a better sense of whether you are right and wrong, check how everyone else reacts -> work at building a case on a lynch target.

I don't have a read on Wubba, except that they're probably not the godfather if they're willing to float being lynched D1. That would be a little bit too much playing with fire. Therefore, I'm going to concentrate my energy on finding the noobscum toDay, as I know at least one must exist.

Webadict and Vector: How do you act towny when you are scum? Do you find it easy?

Hmm... bring the usual town chaotic energy and pick fights with my scumbuddies, I guess. It's not easy but it isn't hard at this point either.

Asking for advice, Secretdorf?

I'm guessing a Rose / LuckyOwl or Rose / Wubba scumteam at this point. I don't have any concrete reasons to suspect Webadict, but taking them off the table when I'm unsure is usually a very bad idea.

However, regarding the Rose / LO team, I think it's more likely that the Godfather is Rose because I believe LuckyOwl would be more inclined to lurk if handed the Godfather role.

It's just how I play, though.

You are a couple of posts into your first game, kiddo. Rose, I remember using this exact excuse in my first game as scum the first time I was pressured.

I know that you updated your Lucky/Vec pick into Lucky/Wubz. Why do you think LuckyOwl is on the scumteam?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 13, 2021, 04:36:09 pm »

PS: "meta reasons" usually means "because of the pattern of how someone has played in previous games."
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 13, 2021, 05:35:41 pm »

In order to not flood the thread, I'll be posting shorter replies, so that you may devour these posts in chunks.

1. It's kind of unsporting to turn either of us into a confirmed townie in a Beginner's game (if that is what would happen. I'm town but I dunno about you).
2. Continuing with that sentiment, turning the focus towards us instead of towards everyone could lead toward a pretty bad D1 in terms of information gathering.
3. It is true that shooting one of us is potentially a very strong move for town. Either they hit scum + IC (yikes! danger!) or they have a confirmed townie IC that they can rely on.
4. But it's worth considering that if somehow the scumteam is all-new, they need to get at least one of us lynched at some point and it would be a lot easier to get that goal accomplished through a D1 policy lynch than at LYLO.

=> I would consider it towards the end of Day, provided that there aren't better options available.
The downside to this move is that I then need to focus on Secretdorf over you, and that does feel a bit like bullying. Hm. I think I agree with you on principle, since it'd be far more worth it to show someone is Mafia than it would be to prove it through game mechanics, but I would like for the players to know that in a game not focused on teaching Day game theory, it would not be considered an incorrect move to lynch one of Vector or I in order to remove either a dangerous Mafia or to confirm a Town player.

What are those meta reasons you're talking about? The only reason I can think of would be if you're mafia, and you know who the mafia actually are.

Which makes me suspect you more than Vector, making my current best guess for Mafia being Luckyowl and webadict.
Hm, no, but I can see where your misunderstanding lies. See, both you and Luckyowl espoused a similar idea. You both didn't realize there were 5 players in the game, and this matches information I have that could only be gleaned from outside the game. I'll be honest in that I added you in as security, because I haven't played with you, but it left me with the only viable scum team of Secretdorf and Vector. Is it proof? Maybe. But, my feeling is that Luckyowl is probably not Mafia.

The reason why this matters is that if we can get any third player to agree that both of us are Town, then we can and should lynch the remaining players.

However, let me preface this with a warning in that I could be lying or I could be mistaken about Luckyowl, and also that this plan relies entirely on the mechanical aspects of this setup.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 13, 2021, 05:50:09 pm »

Webadict: If you and Vector were scumteam, would you be throwing hints for newbies?
Hm, in such a case, it's likely that we would agree to go easier on you. I think it might be worthwhile to use Mafiatells to test you. In fact, I have used one against you, if you can find it! If you can't, I'll tell you what it is. I think it's definitely good to learn it!

I'm guessing a Rose / LuckyOwl or Rose / Wubba scumteam at this point. I don't have any concrete reasons to suspect Webadict, but taking them off the table when I'm unsure is usually a very bad idea.

However, regarding the Rose / LO team, I think it's more likely that the Godfather is Rose because I believe LuckyOwl would be more inclined to lurk if handed the Godfather role.
Vector, I'm gonna hear you out on this. While I'm hesitant on Rose at best, a lot of this comes from what I know from my role PM, and that's hardly great evidence when the goal is to teach Day game theory. In both of your teams, you advocate for Rose, then, yes? I'd be willing to test that out.

However, why Luckyowl? Am I missing something about them?

PS: "meta reasons" usually means "because of the pattern of how someone has played in previous games."
Well, in this case, no. But, it's perhaps a little cheaty to work of that information, so I'm gonna try to back my feelings up with behavior.

Mamobo

• Bay Watcher
  • Mafia Moderation Bot
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 13, 2021, 09:08:10 pm »

Bomamo is... Wait. That's not right!

Vote Count
------------------------
Luckyowl - 0 -
Rose - 0 -
Secretdorf - 0 -
Vector - 0 -
webadict - 0 -
No Lynch - 0 -

Not Voting - 5 - webadict, Vector, Luckyowl, Rose, Secretdorf,

4 to Hammer. Day ends on January 16, 2021 at 18:00 CST (~69 hours remaining).
Mamobo stands for Mafia Moderation Bot! Mamobo was made by webadict to help those in need!

Mamobo hates villainy and lawlessness! Mamobo loves blueberries!

Mamobo is happy to be of use! If you'd like to improve Mamobo, please do something else instead!

Secretdorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 13, 2021, 09:43:57 pm »

I am not sure of others but Rose is scum for sure. Maybe even the godfather. Its because of the way she is acting. Avoiding suspicion and only defending.
Rose

Webadict: If I was mafia, I would have done something wrong as its my first time playing this game. I wouldn't have gone without raising suspicion. What have I done that makes you suspect me?
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11