Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: (Dead for copyright reasons) Star Wars: Project Jedi  (Read 4034 times)

taat

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't notify people when putting them in the sig
    • View Profile
Re: (Dead for copyright reasons) Star Wars: Project Jedi
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2021, 06:56:51 pm »

This is quite funny since fairly similar games have existed for decades and never ran into any legal trouble, right with their website whose IP address hasn't changed in 20 years with links to merch stores and the maintainer's faces plastered 1 click away from the front page being found on google with just "star wars MUD"
Hypothesis: I will kill all dwarves in a horrible fashion

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2021, 07:28:44 pm »

considering SWG emu servers are still running...

I highly doubt this be an issue at all

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2021, 09:17:39 pm »

Yeah, pretty sure once you get that Cease and Desist letter, your best bet is to abandon the project and start something new that can't get you in trouble.

Shooer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2021, 09:32:54 pm »

The big thing is to not directly contact people known to use lawyers as a weapon.

Most of the games you guys are talking about existed before disney's purchase of starwars, and probably haven't directly communicated with disney.  Which sets up a paper trail.  It's easy to "lose access" to a mail box, and read receipt and other ways of tracking the opening of an E-mail are easy to get around.

Good on you for trying to the right thing by asking, but there was no way in hell they were going to say yes.  First: it's not going to make them any money. Second: they have an exclusive deal with EA to produce video games for starwars.  Letting you make your own thing and if they okayed it probably would have cost a huge sum in contract breach.

I say you crowdsource a setting.  Come up with some core stuff that you maintain.  Mainly for mechanical reasons (space magic works like this, not that, travel works like this, not that. Just some example ideas for core stuff).  But let people come up with the filler to build it out(locations, characters).  Just choose and use what you like.

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2021, 10:02:12 pm »

Yeah we are trying to come up with a base idea for what we want our game to be

I also dont like that my sister (who is a hardcore feminist) has turned to F.A.T.A.L for ideas
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

MrRoboto75

• Bay Watcher
  • Belongs in the Trash!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2021, 11:01:13 pm »

I also dont like that my sister (who is a hardcore feminist) has turned to F.A.T.A.L for ideas

...what sort of feminist likes fatal?
I consume
I purchase
I consume again

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 05, 2021, 12:09:37 am »

The epic kind.  8)
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Games Workshop isn't much better about their IP than Disney.

Have you considered just making it a generic universe that might just happen to have space wizards that like to use laser swords?

i'll talk to her about making our own thing but we both are not very creative people however i kinda have something in mind

Pick up stuff from random established universes, ditch the assigned names, and start swapping features.

Or grab a [whatever] generator and start slotting it, fleshing it out as necessary: "The race of halflings. They are dark-haired. In their culture, every person is expected to be good at cooking. They are noted for their drug dens. They are exceptionally good at mind magic. They exist as nomads."*

Dark haired nomads? Sure, that fits the classic image of desert dwellers. Social importance on cooking probably means a wide variety of plant knowledge so they have decent medical knowledge too. And look, drugs. That fits perfectly. Halflings... more energy efficient forms, easier to hide in the shade. I'd probably toss the 'mind magic' trait, or roll it into how they have a culture of self-deception ("It's not as hot as it seems." "I can go for two weeks without water.") that actually works since it's based on latent passive self-buffing magic.

*https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=fantasyrace
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2021, 01:10:45 am »

And you know Westend Games created it by converting their Ghostbusters system?  So imagine what some could convert your inner conceptualisings from/to, universe-wise!

So what you're saying is... convert it into a Ghostbusters project? :P
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Hanzoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 05, 2021, 02:13:30 am »

Be prepared to stage an intervention if she tries to generate a character using that shitshow's horrible generation mechanics.

Vivalas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2021, 05:28:48 am »

Since you mentioned AI Dungeon and my first thought was about this project being a retrained GPT3 model, I'm actually curious now.

If you train an AI model on all of the IP's fiction / content (say, the Star Wars EU aka actual canon  ;D) are you legally responsible for the output? I mean, your project at that point doesn't contain any copyright material, it merely contains data used to generate copyrighted material. That statement alone also is a problematic thing in the copyright world. Can you copyright the AI generated output of a program in advance?

Legal theorycrafting aside, you might be able to get around copyright this way.
"On two occasions I have been asked,—"Pray, Mr. Babbage, if you put into the machine wrong figures, will the right answers come out?" I am not able rightly to apprehend the kind of confusion of ideas that could provoke such a question."
- Charles Babbage

The Imperial Question | Stranded Among Stars

ArchimedesWojak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Games Workshop isn't much better about their IP than Disney.

Have you considered just making it a generic universe that might just happen to have space wizards that like to use laser swords?

i'll talk to her about making our own thing but we both are not very creative people however i kinda have something in mind

Pick up stuff from random established universes, ditch the assigned names, and start swapping features.

Or grab a [whatever] generator and start slotting it, fleshing it out as necessary: "The race of halflings. They are dark-haired. In their culture, every person is expected to be good at cooking. They are noted for their drug dens. They are exceptionally good at mind magic. They exist as nomads."*

Dark haired nomads? Sure, that fits the classic image of desert dwellers. Social importance on cooking probably means a wide variety of plant knowledge so they have decent medical knowledge too. And look, drugs. That fits perfectly. Halflings... more energy efficient forms, easier to hide in the shade. I'd probably toss the 'mind magic' trait, or roll it into how they have a culture of self-deception ("It's not as hot as it seems." "I can go for two weeks without water.") that actually works since it's based on latent passive self-buffing magic.

*https://www.seventhsanctum.com/generate.php?Genname=fantasyrace

literal vampire potbelly goblins

Also is it appropriate to make Orcs neutral good

The epic kind.  8)

my sister is an anomaly

here is another story about her, when she was in girl scouts around 7 years ago (she's 19 now) she was at camp and was trying to get her firesmith badge (i think that what it's called) you have to start a fire without a lighter and not set the entire forest on fire, simple shit

anyway she ends up messing the second step up and lights a fucking tree on fire (Thank god the tree was by it's self in a dirt field)

she is playing fatal right now actually
YET ANOTHER DATA-COLLECTION THREAD FROM MR. "NOT FEDERAL AUTHORITIES."
ArchimedesWojak is very militant against zoophilia due to his deeply held religious beliefs.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2021, 11:49:59 am »

This is quite funny since fairly similar games have existed for decades and never ran into any legal trouble, right with their website whose IP address hasn't changed in 20 years with links to merch stores and the maintainer's faces plastered 1 click away from the front page being found on google with just "star wars MUD"

Well you know what they say....it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2021, 12:45:26 pm »

Congratulations being spotted by Disney's legal team ! You need to tell me about your promotion scheme because damn that's a powerhouse. I hope they did not stole your ideas, I would not put that besides them. Ryan Johnson's cranial shape does not allow him to feel mercy.
Else I suggest solving your copyright issues by borrowing Starcraft universe instead.

This thread is right on poe's law. Are we getting punked ? Is this some kind of inside joke ? Or are people dead serious ?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2021, 01:46:01 pm »

ah I see he actually asked.

All the other star wars stuff still exists out there though. Like SWG emu been running for decades like I said, and there is the star wars MUD that was mentioned thats even older than SWG
Pages: 1 [2] 3