Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Goblin Changelings  (Read 1077 times)

crundle_bone_earring

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Goblin Changelings
« on: December 11, 2020, 11:52:26 am »

A lot of goblin myths include the concept of changelings and goblins in DF already steal children. Sounds like the next logical step to take a bit more from that source. The most important part of the changeling story is the concept of exchange, so i think some good options would be:

The log: The goblins leave behind a piece of firewood or some twigs where the baby was
The treasure: The goblins leave behind some coins or a piece of jewelry, as some sort of sick "payment"
The corpse: The goblins leave behind the corpse of a small animal, like a songbird or a hare
The animal: The goblins leave behind either a small animal, like a hamster or a snake, or they leave a baby animal, like a dog puppy (or a beakdog puppy?)
The goblin: The goblins leave behind one of their own babies
The troll: The goblins leave behind a baby troll
The puppet: The goblins leave behind a small puppet in the likeness of the stolen children (with the myth update they might be enchanted to actually look like the children? could work for any of the types.)

I think it would be interesting if each goblin civilization did it differently so that knowledgeable people could tell who stole the child, making a better hook in adventure mode than "the child was stolen by someone, somewhere. we don't know who or where." I think that would turn the concept of child-snatching from just a random thing that kinda happens and no one cares to something more memorable.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
Re: Goblin Changelings
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2020, 02:40:31 pm »

I like it. Not only they remove trouble but also leave you a gift now. Basically improved Christmas.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2020, 05:40:26 pm »

Nice suggestion. Also ends up being a good way to check in Fortress Mode if a snatcher has visited and no-one noticed. Wasn't the fortress full of kids a year ago? Now all we have is a tavern full of freaky dolls...

JAL28

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2020, 12:29:49 am »

So you would possibly get a free goblin/troll baby for a dwarves child being kidnapped? Would the troll baby be tamed or a proper part of your fort(since it may fall into the issue of sentient training if it is considered a pet)

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2020, 11:24:31 pm »

The puppet: The goblins leave behind a small puppet in the likeness of the stolen children
This is excellent.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2020, 03:36:51 pm »

I like this idea, but this needs a lot of tokens. Or token like GENERATE_SNATCHING_BEHAVIOR, without it civs just steal, but with it they each can choose special tradition/style of stealing children (or items, like Carlson who steal items and leave small coins).

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2020, 03:38:51 pm »

So you would possibly get a free goblin/troll baby for a dwarves child being kidnapped? Would the troll baby be tamed or a proper part of your fort(since it may fall into the issue of sentient training if it is considered a pet)
I like idea of adding ingame source of tame trolls, bad workers - good military. Fur socks for everyone!

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2020, 03:36:25 am »

If you're going for mythology, however, the myth of the changeling was one of an imposter.   That is, the goblins (generally a type of fae in myth, as this is more magical than goblins typically are portrayed in DF currently) don't just leave a goblin baby behind, they leave a goblin baby that looks like the baby they stole behind so that the theft isn't noticed until the child starts to grow.  Often, this is done in full-blown cuckoo fashion, where the objective is to get the imposter child raised by unsuspecting caring parents while the stolen child is used as a slave or outright eaten.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 06:16:33 pm »

Or changeling may be not only from goblins. But new type of night creature. They live in wilderness like night trolls, but without their mate-stealing mechanic. They breed fast and all their children are transformed into civilized specie. Child grow as part of civilization, as copy of stolen child (stolen child may be eaten or caged or even grow up and become outsider), but at becoming adult (12 years) changeling leave civ and turn back into night creature. They needs token CHANGELING or so.

Also I suggest night creatures who can get apprentices and turn them into night creatures too. Like wendigos from real mythology. Wendigos, because they are very different in myths, bald or furry, tall or small, so this is good for game generator. The difference between them and night trolls - apprentices not become their spouses and also they wasn't abducted, but go into night creature's lair fully consent (like people who settle in necromancer's tower). They also need special token, APPRENTICE_CONVERTOR.

As I know, CRAZED creatures don't abduct spouses even if they have proper caste tokens. Why?

Maybe, this tokens of NIGHT_CREATURE_HUNTER become more interesting when mixed in one creature. Like night trolls who are also changeling or wendigo that spread by both biting and teaching.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 09:46:32 pm »

Or changeling may be not only from goblins. But new type of night creature. They live in wilderness like night trolls, but without their mate-stealing mechanic. They breed fast and all their children are transformed into civilized specie. Child grow as part of civilization, as copy of stolen child (stolen child may be eaten or caged or even grow up and become outsider), but at becoming adult (12 years) changeling leave civ and turn back into night creature. They needs token CHANGELING or so.

Yes, I'd agree this works better as its own type of creature.

D&D also uses a Changeling using its hag-type creatures, where they steal a humanoid child and leave behind a changeling child that, when she hits puberty, basically bursts out of her false skin and turns full hag.

This concept would be interesting in DF, if also something that might take too long for most players' forts, as it basically sets up a time-delay werecreature style scenario.  If the changeling waited until, say 16 or so to turn into a night creature, it may be even better, as a child turning into a monster suddenly might not be as impactful as if the dwarf had managed to gain some skills and was an important part of the fortress before going from sleeper agent to active saboteur.  (Bonus if they picked up military skills...)
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare