Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Farming, Fishing and Cooking in Adventure Mode  (Read 3519 times)

BandaTalk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Farming, Fishing and Cooking in Adventure Mode
« on: December 05, 2020, 05:32:15 pm »

What does everyone think the ETA is for farming, fishing and cooking in adventure mode?  I would love these features even if I know they aren't the priority.
Currently adventuring with the human Lady Indiana Blacktree, her gorlak squire Forrest Greenbow, her faithful steed Musk, her loyal raven Soot, and her feline friend Fig, as together they bring worldwide glory and fame to Bigbear Camp!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Farming, Fishing and Cooking in Adventure Mode
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2020, 12:15:14 am »

What does everyone think the ETA is for farming, fishing and cooking in adventure mode?  I would love these features even if I know they aren't the priority.
Not in the next release, so a while yet.

Cooking isn't even a thing (with any meaning) in Fortress Mode yet, so probably will be years until it's an Adventurer thing (just pointless to add without the proc gen recipes).

Next look at Adventurer feature additions is after Villains has been completed (which is after Steam). Medical stuff is due to be added, so likely some other skills will end up being looked at.

Rust_Knight

• Bay Watcher
  • Click signature for DF Procedural Portraits!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2020, 02:58:22 am »

I think mods can actually jump in and help with this part. Might be actually interesting to add some functionalities in this regard as placeholders before the actual proper implementation.

DWARF VISION - REALTIME IN-GAME DF PORTRAIT GENERATOR

Every little bit of your help on our Patreon GREATLY fuels our energy to further develop DWARF VISION !

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2020, 08:46:30 am »

yeah or using advfort. shoot I never have the sense of waiting for those jobs since that dfhack script.

but farming would probably require getting and producing your own seeds versus messing with the local plants through advfort.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

BandaTalk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2020, 07:49:24 pm »

Yeah, I looked at Advfort, but I guess it's just not right. haha.  I don't think it would be worth putting in place holders without all the proc gen stuff. 

I guess I'm hoping that I can live out my Shire/Stardew Valley fantasy within Dwarf Fortress someday. 
Currently adventuring with the human Lady Indiana Blacktree, her gorlak squire Forrest Greenbow, her faithful steed Musk, her loyal raven Soot, and her feline friend Fig, as together they bring worldwide glory and fame to Bigbear Camp!

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2020, 10:40:14 pm »

advfort will let you build a kitchen workshop and use it to cook.  it's actually really useful, because raw meat products are really heavy, but prepared meals made from them are much lighter but still keep you fed.  you can also build a still and brew drinks, which means you're not stuck drinking water all the time.

i did try farming with advfort once -- bought a stack of strawberries in town, brewed them into wine+seeds, constructed farming plots, planted them out -- but my adventurer didn't survive long enough to see whether the seeds actually grew

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2020, 06:09:17 pm »

advfort will let you build a kitchen workshop and use it to cook.  it's actually really useful, because raw meat products are really heavy, but prepared meals made from them are much lighter but still keep you fed.  you can also build a still and brew drinks, which means you're not stuck drinking water all the time.

i did try farming with advfort once -- bought a stack of strawberries in town, brewed them into wine+seeds, constructed farming plots, planted them out -- but my adventurer didn't survive long enough to see whether the seeds actually grew
the process for stuff growing takes fortmode levels of time which being in real time so endless amount of waiting on site for stuff to grow.
it's also how I have a hunch that the ghost mechanics aren't turn off in adventure mode ... it just that folks are unloading the map and culling the dead units faster than the game could rise them back as restless spirits.
but that's digressing from the point of adv mode is tick/turn base and farming probably takes days in game to see any production or growth so maybe fast travel and wait days for food to grow.

you can totally do the dating sim aspect of harvestmoon/stardew valley bit in adventure mode with gifting items and raising pets.

I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes