Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111428 times)

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 2 - Fixed The Glitch
« Reply #975 on: December 31, 2020, 03:22:36 am »

Aside from that, I have two main priorities right now. One is analyzing Jim Groovester's behavior. I think there's probably a case to be had there. Two is analyzing the chaotic proceedings of the last few hours of Day 1, specifically notquitethere's behavior and Toaster's behavior. That's what pings the most to me at the moment.

Oh, and it's two fourteen in the morning for me, so I think I'd like to at least get a few hours of sleep before I dive into this.

Time to dive into the realm of dreams and hope the insanity of this game doesn't corrupt them too much.

FallacyofUrist
You don't have any proof that I actioned you at all (besides me confirming it in the thread), that was just an inference from the flavor/effect, right?
You are definitively not shenanigans level 11?
I mean, it was pretty blatant that it was your effect, but it was an inference, not a role-based confirmation.

That second question seems pretty important to you, but I do see you as town, so I'll do you a service and answer no, I didn't pick shenanigans level 11.

Remind me again why you're coming out swinging starting on Day 2?
Because I think you've been pretty scummy? A lot of different points I've noticed suggest that I should be voting you. The way you've been acting surrounding voting people, mainly, along with some secondary points like the fact that you didn't take advantage of your nighttalk at all. But it's two in the morning and I'd rather sleep than stay up and let my tiredness ruin the case I want to pull together against you.
A Thousand Treasures (And You).

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #976 on: December 31, 2020, 03:25:43 am »

Jim Groovester: Why did you chose to make your night action public?
I'd like to know this as well, honestly. Like. It's only Day 2 and you're claiming an alignment investigation ability?
This Jim Groovester, I want you to answer this. Luckyowl is a bit of a noob so it isn’t immediately obvious to him, but I want you explain it to him in your own words.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #977 on: December 31, 2020, 03:30:03 am »

I'm going to explain what I understand to be going on with Jim Groovester. I have the Dweller Mask. I'm still town, regardless of what Tric thinks 9_9

The mask lets me get a random badge, gun (an x-shot item, as far as I know not necessarily a kill) or tech once per night. Tech actions have to be posted in-thread. What this implies is that Jim Groovestar is using tech (a scanner), NOT necessarily that he is a cop.

So Jim, since you’re a cop, how reliable do you think your investigations will be? Neither Toony, nor Juicebox, nor I, and probably not yourself have abilities that interfere with the outcomes of these things. We haven’t encountered a miller so far.

I'm not a cop, I have access to BYOR flavored Paranormal tech which I have the option of using publicly. If I use it publicly I also get public confirmation from weedubs like you saw, which has benefits of public confirmation and also the drawbacks of public announcement.

I also get to post at night and had to resist the urge to make fun of everybody while they couldn't respond.

Actually. I did an oppsie on NJW. It was Nirur Torir who I role investigated. The ability that came off was an RNG like ability. If Jim Groovester is going to be our trusted cop I might as well use my day action on him so he can investigate two player every turn when the night phase comes around.

I am flattered but you are really jumping the gun there.

Guys, you really need to read the thread.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #978 on: December 31, 2020, 03:30:41 am »

That second question seems pretty important to you, but I do see you as town, so I'll do you a service and answer no, I didn't pick shenanigans level 11.
I'm not sure why, but I had a very strong lingering impression from the post-signups-pre-game that you said you picked shenanigans 11. I think you asked what happens if we all pick 11, I think that was you. I'm mechanically aware that whoever I actioned is not shenanigans 11.
Full disclosure: the structure of my role is:
WaHH (as described in webadict's OP)
[REDACTED] (night)
[CENSORED] (0 shot)
[CENSORED] gets a charge if [REDACTED] is used on a player with shenanigans 11. It's still blocked by WaHH. I was just wondering if I got redirected through some bullshit or something like that.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #979 on: December 31, 2020, 03:31:02 am »

@Dolores: I had something brief written for you but the forum logged me out and I lost it. I'll put it together again tomorrow.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #980 on: December 31, 2020, 03:32:17 am »

Time to dive into the realm of dreams and hope the insanity of this game doesn't corrupt them too much.

It’s too late for me. I had a nightmare 3 days ago where Vector, Dolores, and Iceytea all turned against me during the contract shenanigans and started a successful bandwagon. There really is nothing more frustrating than getting lynched as a townie for obviously shitty reasons and just seeing everyone go with it.

You’re literally watching your faith in humanity betray you.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #981 on: December 31, 2020, 03:33:56 am »

Good lord. Sorry to hear that, heydude. Gives me an idea for what to submit for my next BYOR role, though.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #982 on: December 31, 2020, 03:51:36 am »

Because I think you've been pretty scummy? A lot of different points I've noticed suggest that I should be voting you. The way you've been acting surrounding voting people, mainly, along with some secondary points like the fact that you didn't take advantage of your nighttalk at all. But it's two in the morning and I'd rather sleep than stay up and let my tiredness ruin the case I want to pull together against you.

I'm lazy and not about to go dig up your case to go argue against it, so I'll say, I eagerly await it so I can poke holes in it.

Except if the majority of your case is that I have been lazy, which I conceded on Day 1 and will readily concede once again.

Complaining about me not using the night talk is bunk though. I wasn't about to wall of text myself or whatever else you think I should've been doing.

It’s too late for me. I had a nightmare 3 days ago where Vector, Dolores, and Iceytea all turned against me during the contract shenanigans and started a successful bandwagon. There really is nothing more frustrating than getting lynched as a townie for obviously shitty reasons and just seeing everyone go with it.

You’re literally watching your faith in humanity betray you.

lmfaoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The wall of text crowd wouldn't do that to you, heydude6, they're genius mafia players who are incapable of making such mistakes. Why would they give you nightmares?
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #983 on: December 31, 2020, 03:57:27 am »

Except if the majority of your case is that I have been lazy, which I conceded on Day 1 and will readily concede once again.

Actually, I take this back and won't concede it anymore.

I have played an adequate game of mafia with a sufficient amount of activity, and I will fight you or anybody else who tries to argue otherwise.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #984 on: December 31, 2020, 04:17:22 am »

I am just going to say right now that "good activity" in a mafia game used to be one substantive post per player per RL day, not counting weekends and holidays. Personally, I left because I missed Wubba and Pandarsenic and I didn't like visiting various threads in GD and being called "it." Among other, more personal reasons. But the point is: we can work together to make the culture on this board better, and then maybe we would attract and keep new players. I was really shocked to read BYOR 0 and see that we'd lost someone due to being called the C-slur.

I never thought I would do this again, but I volunteer as an IC for the next Beginner's Mafia we run (if we can get the players). I keep feeling like I've forgotten everything, but then it turns out that we haven't managed to transmit even some of the most basic stuff to the next generation. That's nobody's fault, but we need to get it done.

I really wish I could sleep. Hopefully I'll go to bed now.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #985 on: December 31, 2020, 04:47:20 am »

Wait, hold up, something's funky.

Weren't people talking about 'saying the name three times' earlier? There's... nothing related to that in Toony's role flip.
That would have been me. I didn't know what would be in Beelzebub's flip, but knowing how BYORs often work, I didn't leave it to chance.

Everyone:I'm not very familiar with BYOR games. But is the whole reference of us being inside some video game just there for flavor or are there any deep meaning to it?
BYOR flavour is everything and the kitchen sink. I've seen references to video games, punk rock songs from the seventies, saturday morning cartoons from the nineties. Eveything goes, really. What information do you expect to receive from this question?

I was convinced the toony wagon fit the pattern of typical Bay12 mislynch and so I tried to get my ass into gear and try and try to proactively shape the lynch to something better.
What is this pattern?

Vector: you were popular last night. Did you receive any feedback from all the actions that were played on you?

FoU: you promised me fries, but I didn't receive any. What gives?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #986 on: December 31, 2020, 04:55:23 am »

Well that was less than ideal, but still potentially useful. There's a lot to unpack here but first of all, from the top of my head:

- Toony was town, so I'm pleased my instincts about the shape of the lynch were right, even if ultimately I helped my attempts to switch over to Leafsnail weren't successful
- Jim claims Tric is town too. I can believe it, I said they were unlikely to be on a scumteam, and their willingness to use their vote actively is a pointer in their favour, even if they're erratic.
- Before anyone asks I'll preemptively fess us to something: at the end of the day I borrowed Tric's vote (they have it back now). That's how I had an extra one. As Tric was voting me I figured it was reasonable to take it, to do two things at once. I didn't explain this at the time because I reasoned that a hostile, if rational, action would be interpreted by a hot blooded group of you as a just enough reason to lynch me, and so I lied by omission. (I really don't want to have an argument about self preservation-- the only player I know for certain is town is myself so I'm not rolling over for anyone.)
- That ability was a one shot, but it wasn't my only vote related ability as you'll soon see.

Jim, you can confirm my night action, can't you?

Before placing any votes I'm going to do my look back stuff.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #987 on: December 31, 2020, 05:01:25 am »

IcyTea
I was convinced the toony wagon fit the pattern of typical Bay12 mislynch and so I tried to get my ass into gear and try and try to proactively shape the lynch to something better.
What is this pattern?
You've been in enough games, why don't you tell me what a D1 Bay12 mislynch usually looks like.

Hint: yesterday I used this word: sleepwalking.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #988 on: December 31, 2020, 05:20:18 am »

IcyTea
What is this pattern?
You've been in enough games, why don't you tell me what a D1 Bay12 mislynch usually looks like.

Hint: yesterday I used this word: sleepwalking.
Usually either the town disagrees on what's "correct" town daygame and someone gets lynched over the culture shock, a newbie fails to scumhunt and then to defend their effort, or nobody has a good idea and a town lurker is lynched for lack of a better candidate.

None of those patterns applied here, except maybe the "correct daygame" one, but then Toony had to play dumb and rolefish while under fire.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #989 on: December 31, 2020, 05:25:39 am »

heydude6: did you receive evidence of an action performed on you?
Pages: 1 ... 64 65 [66] 67 68 ... 122