Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 122

Author Topic: BYOR 15: Game Over - Mafia Win (Kinda?)  (Read 111563 times)

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - We're Just Getting Started
« Reply #675 on: December 29, 2020, 12:35:22 am »

ToonyMan:
@Toaster:
Interesting, I didn't think of two mafia teams. The other mafia team would surely be suspicious of two people claiming each other though? 4mask and IcyTea would be completely outed, not that I would put it past them. Anti-town and anti-mafia behavior!

Yeah, that would be an oddball claim.  In a world where there are indeed two mafia teams, 4maskwolf and IcyTea are priority targets as either high-tier townies or the Big Unknown Enemy Scum.  That said, if they are actually town, then killing one practically confirms the other, assuming useful role flips in this game.  Heading further down this road is getting deep into the WIFOM, so I'd rather analyze their behavior.  I've already worked IcyTea some, and now 4mask has finally given me something to work with.

4maskwolf:
I find it very believable that IcyTea and 4mask are on the same team.  Which team... my gut's trying to tell me that we have two mafia teams here.
Side note: If I'm reading this correctly, you're saying that mafia!IC and mafia!4mask, knowing for a fact that there's another scum team out there (since our scum team would only have two members but webadict said there were four scum), would just decide "let's claim a size two mason team, the exact size of the team the other scum team is looking for, on D1 while under no pressure" and just assume that everything would work out for us?

Sounds like suicide with extra steps tbh.

See, that's the biggest point in your favor right now.  The biggest counterpoint is that... you two claimed at all.  It's a thing that is out there for all the world to see, and as far as I can tell, no one disbelieves that you two are tied together somehow.  I think some of the more oddball theories like dayconvert cult are bad, but that doesn't mean I think your alignment is town.  It does mean that everything either of you does is cast through the lens of this claim.

Anyway, I've been waiting for your reads on those two specifically because of this post and your earlier vote on Fallacy.  I wanted to compare the two picks you weren't voting to your case on the one to whom you were voting, as well as your past vote on Fallacy, and my results are mixed.  Your read on Fallacy seems developed, and consistent enough of your behavior that I'm fine with it.

But what about Jim?  Turns out I'm not the only one who asked you about that post...

4maskwolf: do you wanna play parchesi with me? I'll start with a simple question. Who do you think might be the Mafioso?
Okay yeah if I'm gonna roast people I deserve to have it thrown back in my face.

So far my scumpicks are Jim Groovester and Toonyman.  Toaster and Nirur Torir have managed to slip beneath my notice this game and I need to go take a look over them later today.  Others are all neutral, town, or Fallacy who I need to give a full reread to.

What has Jim Groovester and ToonyMan have done that seems scummy so far?

... and you never answered LuckyOwl either.  Why?  You seem very hesitant to talk about Jim other than to call him scum.  In fact, this post and this post seem to be your only other mentions of him prior to recently, and it's just to call him scum.  After repeatedly prodding you, I get this post and...

I already noted that I'm not satisfied with saying much of anything about Jim.

Except you're content with calling him scum three times.  It's bugging me, and I had you pegged for a reread before you dropped the mason claim anyway; my mental state yesterday that you might be leaning scum.  The mason claim spun that sideways and I'm no longer sure, but you consistently fail to give a good answer here.  You're waffling awfully hard on if Jim is scum or not.

HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - The Badge Seller
« Reply #676 on: December 29, 2020, 01:49:56 am »

Blech. This is the wildest D1 I've been part of in a long, long time, and the most activity this subforum has had in . . . almost 2 years, it looks like.

RE the "masons:" I'll admit that I haven't been able to see a good reason to claim at this point of the Day, but also that I've been missing some of the myriad details flying back and forth (and don't especially care to catch them, as I disagree with Dolores that big enough WoTs will always catch scum. You clearly didn't play with Dakarian). Yes, both ICT and 4mask have had some heat on themselves, but most of ICT's heat has been self-inflicted (as has 4mask's, for lurking). Neither was remotely close to being lynched.

Another possibility is that ICT and 4mask are on a 4-person scumteam and claiming masons because they betrayed by accident that they were in private contact.

If they are actual, mutual-town masons, I struggle to see this D1 claim as a good thing. Being in a masonchat is an advantage similar to being a doctor or a cop. Overall, I'm disinclined to trust anyone who comes out and says "I'm a cop, I'm a cop!" or whatever on D1. That's a big cup of WIFOM and a gift to the scum.

Anyway . . . looking back through TM's posting history . . .
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: December 29, 2020, 02:55:46 am »

RVS/Earlygame
We've discussed this, but RVS focused on survival questions.

. . . . Look, I've gone through all of the early game posts and read them multiple times. There's a lot of posting on things like "that's not scumhunting!" (this isn't pressure!) and a lot of "WTF are you doing LuckyOwl." There's not a lot that I consider to be of serious interest that hasn't been gone over and over and over by other players, so my point is: there's a lot of these quick back-and-forths and not that much by way of reads/direct attacks until the post I link below (NOT trying to say that he's inactive, just that he's pinging people pretty lightly).

Toony Readlist & Masonclaims - starting from this post.

First: Toony posts 19 times after this, which is proportionally more than half of what he had posted to date. A lot of it comes in small bursts. He's clearly nervous.

@4mask & IcyTea:
Icy tea and I are masons.
Uh huh. Makes sense to protect your buddy IcyTea.

Well, I'm not claiming shit unless I'm going to die in a few minutes from a lynch. I don't like everybody claiming on Day 1. If scum want to hammer to silence me before I can claim feel free.

The first part of this is jumpy, and the second part is defeatist.

----> Anyway, there's a lot of back-and-forthing here about what it means to be masons and whatnot, but I'm only going to respond to the parts I find interesting, such as:

@Heydude:
It seems I was wrong about the deadline being tonight. Do you believe my soft-claim on you? Who's scum?

Why would a cop need to ask the target of his investigation whether that target believes he is town?
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which things get dumb
« Reply #678 on: December 29, 2020, 05:12:45 am »

Here's the events regarding claimed times:
-heydude claims a time, first
-ICT claims the a actually slightly different time, second
If heydude6 is lying, he must have been broadly aware of when the contract would be sent (and perhaps his time is closer when it was sent off) - which would require him to be the contract sender or on it's team.
If ICT is lying, he was aware of heydude6's claimed time and could base his claim on that - this places no requirements on ICT, and could even have been done as town (why tho).
I think there's a little confusion here. When I said "within a couple minutes" I was affirming the claim of the time, not denying it. Heydude claims to have received the message at 10:02:06. My PM is timestamped 05:01:07. Keeping in mind time zones, that's 59 seconds between them. I'd say that's about the time it took for webadict to copy-paste the message.

Actually, that also means we got the same flavour in it, so here's a question to confirm to each other that neither was the one who sent the contract:

Heydude6: Why did the imp ask for a tip, and how much did you give it?

They're twisting everything I say the same way dolores says I'm responding to NJW2000, I don't get it.

--

4mask and IcyTea don't care what I have to say.
I dismissed your answers to my questions because they didn't answer the question. Why did you ask how the moderator defines "mason" when it was me and not the mod who used that word, and you display understanding of techniques that require you to already know what a mason is? "I just have to doublecheck, maybe webadict's 'mason' actually means 'mafia' or 'cult'!" is not a good answer, especially when you had already said you believe the mason claim.

There's asking questions, and then there's acting dumb to hide your rolefishing.

If they are actual, mutual-town masons, I struggle to see this D1 claim as a good thing. Being in a masonchat is an advantage similar to being a doctor or a cop. Overall, I'm disinclined to trust anyone who comes out and says "I'm a cop, I'm a cop!" or whatever on D1. That's a big cup of WIFOM and a gift to the scum.
The general strategy for masons is to make the claim as early as possible, because the claim becomes less credible on later days. (Or would you trust a D3 mason claim more if you asked why someone had been buddying to or distancing someone else for the whole game so far?) However, since I went for a D1 strategy that requires me not to be confirmed town, we delayed it a bit.

The advantage to scum isn't big, either, as they know that killing one of us will confirm the other; they'd have to lynch one and then nightkill the other to avoid creating a completely confirmed townie, so the play is to discredit the masonry itself, not any single player in it.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
Re: BYOR 15: Day 1 - in which things get dumb
« Reply #679 on: December 29, 2020, 07:11:19 am »

Posting from laptop I fully expect to die and eat a post or three dozen. I'm away from my machine for the next maybe 60hrs, so don't expect another proper wall of text like the cases which take however many hours to write in that timeframe.

I think there's a little confusion here. When I said "within a couple minutes" I was affirming the claim of the time, not denying it. Heydude claims to have received the message at 10:02:06. My PM is timestamped 05:01:07. Keeping in mind time zones, that's 59 seconds between them. I'd say that's about the time it took for webadict to copy-paste the message.
No, I got that. I was going to write 'claims the same time' and originally and only didn't because it isn't strictly true. I was thinking that the timing was the other way around (your was a minute after heydude's), however.
My points were:
-that you (ICT) could match the timing however you wanted if you were lying, since heydude claimed first
-that contract-sender-aligned!heydude could match the timing however he wanted because he had insider knowledge
-Neither of the above require you to both be on the same team
That's it.
It does scans as odd to me for a contractor!heydude to get wrong the time a truthful!ICT would see by guessing too far in the future, but maybe he was trying to correct for a delay in the mod or whatever and overshot it, I dunno. I think this kind of WIFOM is ultimately fruitless.
Actually, that also means we got the same flavour in it, so here's a question to confirm to each other that neither was the one who sent the contract:
Do you have a compelling reason to think that webadict didn't write the contracts up at the same time then send each pm off one after another?
Not that that would mean you couldn't have the same flavor, just that it's possible you don't.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: December 29, 2020, 07:21:29 am »

Do you have a compelling reason to think that webadict didn't write the contracts up at the same time then send each pm off one after another?
Webadict is lazy. He's disclosed that several rules decisions so far have been to reduce the amount of work he has to do, so I doubt he'd take the time to write two flavours for the same action. I don't know what hector's role in the moderation team is, but I doubt it's full-time flavour-writing, either.

But that doubt is for if heydude didn't receive the same flavour. If he did, I can conclude he's not the one who sent the contract.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: December 29, 2020, 07:30:19 am »

We definitely don’t have the same flavour, mine was tailored specifically to my role and my imp didn’t ask for a tip at all. He just said I was no fun.

Still, this question all but confirms that Iceytea is town to me. A user may know what an ability does mechanically, but the role PM doesn’t tell you how it works flavourwise. Beezlebub may know that his ability sends a contract with X terms, but it’s unlikely that he knows that Webadict would use an imp to do it.

What this means is that Iceytea has knowledge that could only be obtained if he received a contract. This knowledge happens to match my own so I know it’s correct. There’s no way scum would send a contract to one of their own teamates so Iceytea is good as town. Unless he’s third party.

Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.

dolores

• Bay Watcher
  • vinyl
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: December 29, 2020, 07:32:36 am »

Or you're scum together, and this is the greatest ruse in mafia history.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: December 29, 2020, 08:26:55 am »

And my hat is gone.. Great. We'll, hopefully that is from a town role, though why a theif would steal it is in question.

This has been a long day, not helped by lack of energy yesterday. This post is mostly an update to my status as being hatless.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #684 on: December 29, 2020, 08:45:33 am »

heydude6
To address your more serious point:
Spoiler: Speculation (click to show/hide)
You seem to be missing that I wanted Tric to be honest about whether they were 3rd party. I've played in games as a benign 3rd party and often making an early claim to that effect is the best move for them. Moreover, I don't want to waste a lynch on someone who isn't anti-town. Specifically: mafia, an SK, cultist, executioner or assassin. It's anti-town to spend momentum on killing anyone who isn't in that group.  That make sense?

Tric
And my hat is gone.. Great. We'll, hopefully that is from a town role, though why a theif would steal it is in question.
I couldn't see your answer to my question before. Are you a 3rd party and if so, which?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: December 29, 2020, 09:02:34 am »

No, I'm not. I just need hats to use them most effectively, and now I have none. Which kinda makes the badge I bought a bit useless as I'm powerless.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: December 29, 2020, 09:06:19 am »

To return to my earlier work... If past NQT wanted to lynch out of this grouping, where does the current arrangements leave us now:
1 - Cases Of Dubious Substance

LuckyOwl, Leafsnail, Toaster, Jim Groovester, IcyTea31

Heydude is pretty clearly town and they seem to think that they have mechanically confirmed IcyTea31. Plus their mason claim with 4mask would be an unusual play for scum who tend to be more cautious. So let's strike ICT off the list.

Luckyowl, FallacyofUrist, do you think the latest info on ICT should change your vote?

Heydude, are you pushing for a FOU lynch today? Why should we join you in this?

Tric
No, I'm not. I just need hats to use them most effectively, and now I have none. Which kinda makes the badge I bought a bit useless as I'm powerless.
If you're powerless then will you be using the Comment power for your night action then?

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: December 29, 2020, 09:15:42 am »

:|

People getting awfully close to modkilling territory. The fuck, guys?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: December 29, 2020, 09:16:42 am »

Probably, maybe see what it does to me. Maybe I can turn myself into a third-party with it.

?

heydude6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: December 29, 2020, 09:20:50 am »

Unvote

I changed my mind about lynching Fallacy a long time ago. It’s just that I hadn’t yet found anyone who I feel about strongly enough to move my vote to. I’ll probably put it on Toony eventually (I prefer lynching him to Tric), but I want to look through everyone’s posts again first to see if I can come up with reads.

:|

People getting awfully close to modkilling territory. The fuck, guys?

Wait, what happened? Did it have anything to do with me or Iceytea? He brought up the flavour first.
Lets use the ancient naval art of training war parrots. No one will realize they have been boarded by space war parrots until it is to late!
You can fake being able to run on water. You can't fake looking cool when you break your foot on a door and hit your head on the floor.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 122