Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Thinking of doing a DF mod showcase series on YouTube.  (Read 2718 times)

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
  • Order of the Black Arrow
    • View Profile
Thinking of doing a DF mod showcase series on YouTube.
« on: October 26, 2020, 05:50:36 pm »

I'm sure this isn't exactly the right area to post this, but...
Like the title says, I'm thinking of doing a mod-showcase series over on youtube, and I was wondering what everyone thought would be a good mod to showcase. I'm doing this, mostly in anticipation of the eventual Steam release, when ever that may be. Because of this, I feel I should probably set a few ground rules on the suggested mods I'll choose.

• First should be obvious, it needs to be either actively in development right now, or have been patched for the latest update by someone (Preferably the original author(s))
  • No Uber-large complete overhauls. I'd like the mods to have at least a semblance of Vanilla, or at least not be so large they take hours to explain.
  • No Troll Mods, or mods deliberately made to be offensive.
  • The mod needs to be easily obtainable, such as residing on DFFD, or Steam Workshop, if the series lasts long enough for it to be around then.
  • No repeats, I'll post links to any video I upload in this series, in this thread, so please make sure I haven't done a mod yet first, before suggesting it. (Unless heavy/major updates have happened, by my discretion.)
  • Lastly, for now... The mod needs to at least be child-friendly, as per YouTube's policies. So no overtly adult mods. Yes, I know they exist.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
Re: Thinking of doing a DF mod showcase series on YouTube.
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2020, 05:55:31 pm »

I always wanted to see a series like this! Dwarvemon might be a fun mod to review.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2020, 06:03:11 pm »

I always wanted to see a series like this! Dwarvemon might be a fun mod to review.

Exactly what I was thinking myself actually. Not actually about Dwarvemon, as I hadn't noticed it existed, but the other part. I personally have only ever seen mod 'showcase' videos on the really big mods, like Masterwork. So I figured SOMEONE should at least give the little mods some time in the light. And what better time than when more eyes are on Dwarf Fortress than any other time in it's history?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2020, 06:23:01 pm »

I'm down to watch. I would recommend heartily that you figure out a work-flow as most mods take an hour or more before you get to the mod's content - might now translate to a "showcase" format easily without a lot of editing.

Otherwise, my suggestion is Spellcrafts. It's about as vanilla as Dwarvemon.

Yes, I know they exist.

Christ, I didn't - nothing sexier than ASCII.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2020, 06:37:52 pm »

I'm down to watch. I would recommend heartily that you figure out a work-flow as most mods take an hour or more before you get to the mod's content - might now translate to a "showcase" format easily without a lot of editing.

Otherwise, my suggestion is Spellcrafts. It's about as vanilla as Dwarvemon.

Yes, I know they exist.

Christ, I didn't - nothing sexier than ASCII.

Alright, I'll add it to the list.
And if learning that Terraria (Yes, TERRARIA!) has adult mods has taught me anything... it's that it's safer to assume that a game already has an adult mod somewhere online, than to assume it does not.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2020, 07:39:48 pm »

By the way, for those of you who might be wondering on the upload schedule of these videos. I tend to record on fridays only these days, and will be uploading these on a weekly basis.

This is to ensure I have enough time with the mod before I do any recording.

Asin

• Bay Watcher
  • A short and sturdy creature fond of modding.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2020, 07:58:12 pm »

Posting to watch. This sounds like a interesting idea.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2020, 10:21:58 am »

Just thought I'd do a quick notice, but the first episode of this series will likely be premiered on YouTube Next Friday, the 13th, instead of this upcoming Friday, due to unexpected events preventing me to record anything for it.

After that, it will be a weekly series like everything else, provided I have a mod to review/give first impressions.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2020, 11:00:03 am »

You shall make review for my mod, when I upload it. 'Redwarved' mod, that improve vanilla fanciful side.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2020, 11:27:30 am »

Just thought I'd do a quick notice, but the first episode of this series will likely be premiered on YouTube Next Friday, the 13th, instead of this upcoming Friday, due to unexpected events preventing me to record anything for it.

After that, it will be a weekly series like everything else, provided I have a mod to review/give first impressions.

Looking forward to it!
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2020, 06:41:58 pm »

Enemy post's Jawa Fortress deserves a look - and would be broadly appealing and might be good for that sweet youtube algorithim.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2020, 10:12:10 am »

You shall make review for my mod, when I upload it. 'Redwarved' mod, that improve vanilla fanciful side.

Send the link to it once it's up!

Enemy post's Jawa Fortress deserves a look - and would be broadly appealing and might be good for that sweet youtube algorithim.

I'll add it to the list then!

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2020, 10:32:54 am »

Thanks!
My mods and forum games.

SeiggrainHart

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2020, 02:41:37 pm »

Do you think you can somehow send me a working copy of DF with the mod installed already? As it seems I'm having some technical difficulties with the mod causing DF to crash each time I try sitting down and recording, this has been the biggest issue that's causing delays on the episode getting uploaded.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2020, 03:07:07 pm »

Do you think you can somehow send me a working copy of DF with the mod installed already? As it seems I'm having some technical difficulties with the mod causing DF to crash each time I try sitting down and recording, this has been the biggest issue that's causing delays on the episode getting uploaded.

Sure, here you go.

The mod has a bunch of optional files you can use like werepokemon and Mystery Dungeon civs, so I just included the whole "optional" folder in the objects folder. None of that will take affect as it is, just copy and paste the files to the objects folder if you want to use the extra content.
My mods and forum games.
Pages: [1] 2