Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New Night Creature type - Wendigo  (Read 2585 times)

Narrrz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New Night Creature type - Wendigo
« on: October 24, 2020, 08:49:59 pm »

These would be a bit like a cross between a werebeast and a vampire, though they wouldn't arise from a deity's curse. Instead, (in fortress mode) when a dwarf reaches the stage of starvation where they begin to "hunt for small creature", there would be a chance instead that they would seek out and murder, butcher, and consume one of their fellow dwarves, leaving a skeletal corpse. Upon finding such a body, the player would be notified "The skeleton of Urist has been found, the bones sucked clean of marrow".

The offending dwarf would now be an infiltrated night creature, and in their description their features should become more and more monsterous over the course of a year, and other dwarves catching sight of them should szsometimes become overcome by horror/fright. In addition to their usual food and drink needs, they will sometimes seek out dwarves who are alone to kill and consume in the same way. If not found and removed before the year-long incubation period ends, the dwarf will exit the fortress entirely to create a lair nearby, subsequently fully transforming into a monstrous form, and returning (in stealth) periodically to raid your fort for more dwarves to kill and eat.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 11:29:26 pm by Narrrz »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: New Night Creature type - Wendigo
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2020, 09:37:16 pm »

I like the premise - even if not a wendigo, DF feels like it has space for cannibalism.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2020, 06:08:49 am »

And when wendigo live in lair (in worldgen), it can teach sentient creatures for turn them into wendigo too. Also they use some powers of undead lieutenants like mist creating and weather changing.

IndigoFenix

• Bay Watcher
  • All things die, but nothing dies forever.
    • View Profile
    • Boundworlds: A Browser-Based Multiverse Creation and Exploration Game
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2020, 09:56:12 am »

Interesting premise, but I think it would be better as several procedurally generated elements that could be combined together.

We already have MAJOR_CURSEs, but right now the only way to become cursed is to desecrate a temple.  There should be other sins or taboos that can be punished with a curse.  These could be tied to a civ's ethics; it wouldn't make sense for an elf or a goblin to be cursed for eating a sapient creature, but a dwarf or human might.

The curses themselves could also have procedural elements.  Instead of just being vampire and werebeast, you might have elements that can be combined, like "hunger for blood", "hunger for sapient creature flesh", "compulsion to steal".  There could also be procedural "gifts" that go along with the curse, such as stat boosts.

So one curse could be "a hunger for sapient creature flesh" that is triggered when they commit the sin of cannibalism, effectively a wendigo, but there could be a wide variety of other variations.

Fikilili

• Bay Watcher
  • "Elves make no sense, change my mind."
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2020, 12:47:19 pm »

To continue the procgen aspect of this, let's give the game the ability to give an entity malformations or randomized transformation.
For instance, let's say that in some civ's mythos, a dwarf becoming a cannibals suddenly gets taller, grows horns, sharp teeth and extra stomachs. Well the game could assign those elements to a dwarf who's been cursed to become a cannibal. Eventually, the game could give it a random name, such as Wendigo.
"Military? What's that? Something to eat?"

Azerty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2020, 03:31:21 pm »

And I think some of these curses could also affect entire groups: for exemple, a village where cannibalism was practised by non-elf or -gobelins might see its soil cursed, or an entire family could be cursed for such acts such as the Atrides.
"Just tell me about the bits with the forest-defending part, the sociopath part is pretty normal dwarf behavior."

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2020, 01:54:53 pm »

yeaaa lets not make a sacred piece of navajo mythology a df enemy please, seems kind of disrespectful

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2020, 04:02:54 pm »

So we throw out every other real world mythological creature too?

I guess the idea of having gods is also disrespectful for the true and only god(s) religion(s)©

bloop_bleep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2020, 04:12:23 pm »

yeaaa lets not make a sacred piece of navajo mythology a df enemy please, seems kind of disrespectful

So is it disrespectful to Chinese mythology to have dragons as enemies in DF? Is it disrespectful to European mythology to have gremlins? This makes no sense.

If anything it's a promotion of Navajo mythology.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2020, 04:14:46 pm by bloop_bleep »
Quote from: KittyTac
The closest thing Bay12 has to a flamewar is an argument over philosophy that slowly transitioned to an argument about quantum mechanics.
Quote from: thefriendlyhacker
The trick is to only make predictions semi-seriously.  That way, I don't have a 98% failure rate. I have a 98% sarcasm rate.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2020, 05:10:14 pm »

So is it disrespectful to Chinese mythology to have dragons as enemies in DF? Is it disrespectful to European mythology to have gremlins? This makes no sense.

Actually, the wendigo is from the folklore of the Algonquin tribes of northeast U.S. and southeast Canada and has nothing to do with Navajo mythology.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Narrrz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2020, 03:28:09 am »

Vampires, zombies, devils, probably most of the "horror" monsters have their roots in some mythology or other. I guess it's not my place to say whether it should or shouldn't be offensive - if it's a part of your culture, and its adaptation into modern media offends you, then your feelings are valid - but to me, at least, it's always felt more like paying homage to a culture and its stories to include them in other works. And it's not impossible that such homages could help to keep your culture alive, if people who become interested in the source of these creatures look more deeply into their origins. And when all is said and done, stories are basically made to be told and retold, adapted, taken apart and put back together again. Culture evolves just like practically anything else, and there's no reason the inclusion of another culture's myths and legends in a modern art form can't be an example of that evolution.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2020, 05:38:10 am »

Not only is it not Navajo, it's not sacred, either, they kind of hated the things.

if it's a part of your culture, and its adaptation into modern media offends you, then your feelings are valid
Man, no they aren't. Look, on behalf of my ancestors, I give you permission to do whatever the hell you want with wendigos. Appropriate all you want, we'll make more.

GOTOTOTOE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 10:33:46 am »

Actually, the wendigo is from the folklore of the Algonquin tribes of northeast U.S. and southeast Canada and has nothing to do with Navajo mythology.
oh, i mustve confused it with skinwalkers. i have this argument a lot

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 11:15:12 am »

Skinwalkers are just witches/warlocks aren't they?

Pohiena

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2020, 07:16:16 pm »

oh, i mustve confused it with skinwalkers. i have this argument a lot
Skinwalkers, as far as i know, are a type of witch, and what appears to be the Navajos' reluctance to talk about them seems to arise much more because it is an "uncomfortable subject, gives bad luck or it's taboo to talk about if not to educate the young" than a spirit of "sacredness" for the entity.
Pages: [1] 2