Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Coopers and Cobblers Expanding some of the professions.  (Read 1168 times)

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Coopers and Cobblers Expanding some of the professions.
« on: October 18, 2020, 01:45:10 pm »

"Cooper" should be added to 'Carpentry' or crafts in terms of professions, Barrels and Buckets are/should be made by those with the Cooper skill instead of just 'Carpentry'.
Cobbler should be added to crafts and be necessary to make shoes, boots.
Glovemaker should make gloves, as these are labors/'professions' are fairly distinct from one another.

Gloves being one of those things that requires a lot of careful understanding of flexibility/proportions for the stitches, seams, etc.. granted a smith making gauntlets might be far more able to use a pattern, or require a nonmetal pair of gloves as a basis. (though that would ideally require gloves that come and stay in pairs, perhaps that should be something that could be optional as either an (o)rder or as an option in the d_init or init proper..)

Submenus maybe as far as weaving and leathermaking (or carpentry) could be there... Wooden shoes and/or wooden/metal shoe soles should also be a thing. maybe even vulcanized rubbber if there was a research system, (apparently evidence exists of vulcanized rubber in precolumbian america).. with there being options for "open toed" or "close toed" shoes/boots that would use different amounts of leather, wear at different rates and have different (or produce a different amount of products per reaction).
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 01:59:10 pm by betaking »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Coopers and Cobblers Expanding some of the professions.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2020, 04:39:43 pm »

Realism is nice, but what's your intent for gameplay here? Add more workshop types because micromanagement is fun? Slow down the rate of essential skill increase? That's fair enough I suppose. "Legendary Carpenter" is pretty quick. Legendary 5 or 6 different woodmaking professionals will take longer, which can only be a good thing.

Maybe something for when workshops become zones? Then you get 3 or 4 professionals working in one area linked to a single woodpile and it doesn't become complex for complexities sake.

Also, at first you just want someone who can make the essential stuff for your fortress setup. So one guy would end up with all the wood labors on anyway.  And if they didn't you end up having to set them all on anyway. Annoying, but maybe whatever automation systems Toady is thinking of for the Steam release will help there.

betaking

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2020, 05:12:28 pm »

I mean part of it is "merely realism" but it's also about a "consistent level of detail"... like Idk it's weird how detail is spread about to where there's one area with a ton of detail, (fingernails, teeth, etc.) but then you look at things like "well what's my fortress actually producing", or "how are professions stacked up", or really anything like the more economic/production end related aspects.

I wrote a bit more but it was rambling and went off subject.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2020, 05:30:13 pm by betaking »

Orange-of-Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2020, 02:46:03 pm »

For weapon making, I am not sure if historically you's just be a general purpose weapon maker, or if you's specialize in a particular weapons.

I find it weird that if you out a dwarf to make a gazillion battle axes, and then he'd be able to have the first sword he ever made in his life be a masterwork. It's very game-ish and not so reality simulative.

I think it should be split in swordmaking, axemaking, hammermaking and so on. Well according to how it was back then. Maybe if you could make great swords, you could make a decent spear tip in your first go, I don't know. But I think swords are HARD to make, and you'd not be able to make a good sword if you had made spear tips or hammers in all your career.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2020, 04:31:31 pm »

For weapon making, I am not sure if historically you's just be a general purpose weapon maker, or if you's specialize in a particular weapons.

I find it weird that if you out a dwarf to make a gazillion battle axes, and then he'd be able to have the first sword he ever made in his life be a masterwork. It's very game-ish and not so reality simulative.

I think it should be split in swordmaking, axemaking, hammermaking and so on. Well according to how it was back then. Maybe if you could make great swords, you could make a decent spear tip in your first go, I don't know. But I think swords are HARD to make, and you'd not be able to make a good sword if you had made spear tips or hammers in all your career.
There's the whole, "anyone can make a hundred axes and become a master axemaker" thing too. Realistically, they should be learning from another master since childhood, not throwing bits of molten metal together until they figure it out.

Maximum Spin

• Bay Watcher
  • [OPPOSED_TO_LIFE] [GOES_TO_ELEVEN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2020, 04:42:05 pm »

It'd be cool if dwarves could have specific natural talents, too. Not everyone is suited for everything.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2020, 09:48:35 pm »

Gloves being one of those things that requires a lot of careful understanding of flexibility/proportions for the stitches, seams, etc.. granted a smith making gauntlets might be far more able to use a pattern, or require a nonmetal pair of gloves as a basis. (though that would ideally require gloves that come and stay in pairs, perhaps that should be something that could be optional as either an (o)rder or as an option in the d_init or init proper..)

Historical medieval gauntlets were, in fact, basically leather gloves with metal plates riveted to the back.

See here.

Gauntlets made entirely out of metal exist only in fantasy and Hollywood and would actually make grasping a weapon impossible.

Also, sabatons (protection for the feet) only covered the tops and sides of the feet.  They were designed to be worn over special leather “arming” turnshoes that had a pair of leather laces (called “points”) on the toe that were threaded through a pair of holes in the toes of the sabatons and tied in a bow to keep the toes of the sabatons from flapping up.  Boots with metal soles would make trying to walk on hard surfaces (such as stone) like trying to walk on ice.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

madpathmoth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2020, 02:10:22 am »

It'd be cool if dwarves could have specific natural talents, too. Not everyone is suited for everything.

I think elements of this exist in the relatively few ways a dwarf's attributes affect how well they do labors.  I'd say "try and see if you can mod in more ways attributes effect skills" but that sounds like it's beyond just editing raws.

Nordlicht

• Bay Watcher
  • Wuschelig & Wunderlich
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2020, 04:39:14 am »

Boots with metal soles would make trying to walk on hard surfaces (such as stone) like trying to walk on ice.

Now i have the image of a Knight in full metal Hollywood armor skating down the road while juggling his sword and shield because he can't grasp it.