Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Exanima - physics based RPG in a dungeon  (Read 3962 times)

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Exanima - physics based RPG in a dungeon
« on: September 08, 2020, 10:34:55 pm »

https://store.steampowered.com/app/362490/Exanima/
Exanima is an early access physics based RPG by Bare Mettle where you must descend into a mysterious dungeon in search of a way out. Story wise you have no idea who you are and the only indicator as to your purpose in these parts is a letter telling you to assist an unknown figure or recover their research if you're unable to. You're also a sorcerer of some sort. Things become more clear as you read various writings in your descent.

That's the big stuff I think. I should also note the glacial development speed, there's almost a one year gap between every update with real content in it, so it's a good thing the DF players are used to waiting. The game is actually making progress though, despite what the doomsayers claim.

And that's Exanima! It's not very expensive and while I was somewhat cool on it at first, the addition of maps, some eventual skill on my part, and a habit of making backup saves has really helped my feelings toward the game and I look forward to everything they're planning to add next.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2021, 10:40:50 pm by Fire and Glory »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
Re: Exanima - physics based RPG in a dungeon
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2020, 10:36:43 pm »

I like the arena mode, it's actually a pretty good arena manager game. I wish the inventory system didn't suck so much, though.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2020, 10:41:30 pm »

Equipping dudes in arena could probably stand to suck less, yea. I don't get the appeal for arena management games much but I'll boot it up from time to time to swing swords at dudes.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2020, 11:46:30 pm by Fire and Glory »

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2020, 12:50:58 pm »

Diablo with Mount & Blade's combat system?

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2020, 01:16:38 pm »

Not really...the combat system is much harder to use, but also allows you to do a lot more. It's all actually physics based, rather than being a set of moves that you can use.
Sometimes you get some really cool behavior out of it.
Sometimes you get drunken boxing and people tripping over chairs.
It's a mixed bag.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

motorbitch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2020, 01:36:56 pm »

i tried this.
i woke up in a dungeon. after a few minutes i had figured out that i could manipulate a spike, pick it up and use as weapon.
dude stuck the spick through his wrist instead of using his hands, and started to walk like a zombie.

it was at t his point that i uninstalled and refounded the game.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2020, 02:00:08 pm »

Watching people play it I've been tempted to try it many times. But then I remind myself, Examina was basically a tech demo for something that was supposed to be much bigger. Then they went "Eh", the project fell apart and they added some more features to Examina instead.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2020, 02:32:03 pm »

At a glance, it looks like Sui Generis isn't dead.  It's just on hold for longer than they initially implied.  They're using Exanima as the vehicle for completing the game engine, and will resume work on Sui Generis when that engine is done.  And they are still very much working at it.  I picked up Exanima when it was first released 5 years ago.  It has been massively expanded since then, and there are still fairly frequent updates.  I've returned to it 3 times over the years, as in it temporarily became the main game I was playing for a month or two, and it felt fresh every time.  They're claiming to be finished tweaking core stuff like fine-tuning the physics and controls of movement and combat, and are adding the last major gameplay features on top of that -- ranged combat, magic, and multiplayer, which they claim to be getting easier and easier to work on as they establish better foundation.  And when those are finished, they're going to consider it done and return to Sui Generis.

Exanima is more difficult than most games to get into.  It takes at least a couple hours to begin to get comfortable with the controls.  But once you do, it's incredibly rewarding.  It has the most fluid and dynamic melee combat of any game I've ever played.  There is a rhythm and flow to it, and once you get zoned in with it, your fighting can look pretty badass instead of drunken stumbling.  And there's a greater satisfaction, I think, that comes from mastering an adaptable intuition to a dynamic flow, as compared to your typical game that involves rote repetition of button combinations in response to rote repetition of enemy behavior patterns.  Baiting your opponent into an awkward swing so that you can step in behind it and fell them in one solid blow to the head with superior balance and timing just feels amazing.

My only criticism of the game would be the dev's attitude towards save games and hardcore difficulty.  I'm a pretty decent gamer, and I've never beaten it.  The levels are incredibly difficult to navigate and there's no mapping system.  It gets frustrating running through the same areas over and over again on repeated attempts and never seeming to be able to figure out where you're going no matter how many repeated explorations you do.  Arena mode is currently the most fun, and it is quite fun.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2020, 03:31:04 pm »

Yeah. Been a while since I tried the actual dungeon part of the game since I just found it kind of annoying.

The Arena, though, that's a blast. I have 200 hours in the game, and most of that is Arena.
Come play Mafia with us!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2020, 06:50:29 pm »

At a glance, it looks like Sui Generis isn't dead.  It's just on hold for longer than they initially implied.

It'll be 5 years in November since the Kickstarter. Just saying, from the outside looking in, Exanima hasn't changed dramatically since then. I'm still tempted to try it, but not based on its promise of something better. I can never shake the feeling looking at playthroughs and stuff that it's still largely a tech demo or proof of concept than a full game. Other than the labyrinthine dungeon layout and coming to grips with the combat system, it seems kinda one note.

Mostly I do want to try it though because it's one of the few isometric games I've seen in the last few years that really captures that "Diablo 1 spooky dungeon" vibe.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 07:38:14 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2020, 11:04:37 pm »

My only criticism of the game would be the dev's attitude towards save games and hardcore difficulty.  I'm a pretty decent gamer, and I've never beaten it.  The levels are incredibly difficult to navigate and there's no mapping system.  It gets frustrating running through the same areas over and over again on repeated attempts and never seeming to be able to figure out where you're going no matter how many repeated explorations you do.
The addition of in-game maps you can find helped a lot with my enjoyment of things. They're not all that helpful in game but printing them out and systematically exploring every room, marking off the ones you've been in, makes them much more helpful. Before that, it was pretty frustrating and I never got past the first level or two. It doesn't help that the 'music' for those levels consists of maddening droning noises which are okay at first but get more and more annoying as you go.

At a glance, it looks like Sui Generis isn't dead.  It's just on hold for longer than they initially implied.

It'll be 5 years in November since the Kickstarter. Just saying, from the outside looking in, Exanima hasn't changed dramatically since then. I'm still tempted to try it, but not based on its promise of something better. I can never shake the feeling looking at playthroughs and stuff that it's still largely a tech demo or proof of concept than a full game. Other than the labyrinthine dungeon layout and coming to grips with the combat system, it seems kinda one note.

Mostly I do want to try it though because it's one of the few isometric games I've seen in the last few years that really captures that "Diablo 1 spooky dungeon" vibe.
I can't imagine how bloody long it'd take for them to complete Sui Generis even if Exanima has most of the mechanics they need. I'm glad I never heard of it until much later and only signed on for Exanima otherwise I might be a bit salty if I took part in the kickstarter.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2020, 11:18:05 pm by Fire and Glory »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2020, 11:20:19 pm »

Examina. Exsamina. Egsamina. Eggsammina. Egg Sammy.

BoujeeTheAlan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2020, 12:28:55 am »

Green Eggs And Ham?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2020, 05:26:22 am »

Hey, I've been wondering what became of this.
Love, scriver~

Fire and Glory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2020, 06:16:06 am »

Very slow but measurable progress as always, friend.

So my question for the class is, does anyone like axes? Specifically the non-polearm kinds. In my experience they can't really draw blood from an armor strike like blunt weapons can and they're slower than swords, as well as having less cutting edge. So they're just kind of disappointing whenever I use one.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2020, 06:22:00 am by Fire and Glory »
Pages: [1] 2