Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Building a Divine Army  (Read 2199 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Building a Divine Army
« on: August 06, 2020, 07:40:04 pm »

There are three ways to get divine metal into your fortress:
1) Embark on top of a vault. I've never tried this.
2) Have an adventurer drop some DV items into a retired fort, then unretire it.
3) Have an adventurer drop some DV items at a chosen location, and then start a new fort there. This takes a bit of planning, but it avoids all the retirement bugs.

DV is not quite as good as the blue stuff, and it's even harder to obtain. An entire vault will get you 40-50 bars, if you carry out everything. (Bring a pack animal.)

So why should players care about DV? Because you can melt it. And craft it. And melt it again.

The blue stuff doesn't work that way. It has special strand-and-wafer rules. But DV can melt into bars at 150% efficiency just like every other metal.

So if you're looking for a new twist on your next fortress, consider building a divine army. DV is light. It's sharp. And if you want to maximize fortress wealth, its material value is gold times ten.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: Building a Divine Army
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2020, 12:42:46 pm »

The blue stuff doesn't work that way. It has special strand-and-wafer rules.

It works with bolts and coins, provided you split the stacks first.

This setup lets you use invader labor instead of dwarves.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:44:18 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

wooks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2020, 05:25:19 pm »

I was under the impression you could acquire it via artifacts. As far as I know non-fortress artifacts can be made of any material. It would be quite the feat to scour your worlds artifacts for one made of gibberish and then find it in fortress mode -- if it exists that is.
In a game like Dwarf Fortress, going to the wiki being cheating is like saying bringing a parachute is cheating for skydiving.
"Has it been 4 days? Better check if my penis is still there again."

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 09:12:39 am »

I was under the impression you could acquire it via artifacts. As far as I know non-fortress artifacts can be made of any material. It would be quite the feat to scour your worlds artifacts for one made of gibberish and then find it in fortress mode -- if it exists that is.

I don't think that non-fortress artifacts can be made of DV. I've never seen one, and Legends Viewer doesn't list DV as a possible material for them.

TheyreAllGullyDorfs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2020, 10:23:08 am »

I hate being that guy, but have you considered selecting one of your craftsdorfs and type 'gui/create-item' into DFhack.
Then create the one or two divine metal objects you want to work with to get you started. Much less of a headache, especially if you leave it alone after you make the things you want.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 07:56:00 am »

I hate being that guy, but have you considered selecting one of your craftsdorfs and type 'gui/create-item' into DFhack.
Then create the one or two divine metal objects you want to work with to get you started. Much less of a headache, especially if you leave it alone after you make the things you want.
You lose the personal touch though.  The idea that some brave soul carted this pile of heavenly loot all the way to your Fortress makes for a good story.