Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 229069 times)

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4680 on: May 10, 2024, 04:12:10 am »

The Black Pit is back up the slab chimney, all the way at the top, and safely far away from the ooze.  Upon turning back down, after scrabbling through the garnet-rich passage, you proceed to climb up the black pit.

The reason why it's so black isn't that it's huge.  It's big, certainly, perhaps fifty or so feet across and more-or less vertical, but it's black more because the wall of the chamber is composed of very dark material, which reflects back little of the glowstone light.  As you go higher, it narrows.  Not quickly, but you can tell it gets narrower as you get up.

Long before this becomes a problem, a vague uneasiness washes over Trence.  This doesn't feel like the best place for him.

Is it possible for a monster to possess or control some kind of mundane(ish) substance? Like, if you had a ghost that was possessing a spooky doll, would the doll remain once you had slain the ghost?

(The problem is that having a creature with a body that doesn't disappear is far enough out of the norm that you're essentially throwing darts at a wall;  You can't assume anything is correct, and it's easy to fall into argument for argument's sake.  Need more hard info at this point.)

Spoiler: Fissure Maze (click to show/hide)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4681 on: May 10, 2024, 04:36:34 am »

Uneasy like the soap room was, or in a more creeping dread sort of way?
One wheel short of a wagon

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4682 on: May 10, 2024, 04:46:21 am »

Uneasy like the soap room was, or in a more creeping dread sort of way?

"A bit like soap, yeah."

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4683 on: May 10, 2024, 05:47:24 am »

Continue! Sessha first.

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4684 on: May 10, 2024, 08:10:08 pm »

Continue! Sessha first.
+1

Might be the ever-hungering Void, might be a great way to get stains out of fabric.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4685 on: May 11, 2024, 12:42:27 am »

Continue! Sessha first.
+1

Might be the ever-hungering Void, might be a great way to get stains out of fabric.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4686 on: May 11, 2024, 01:35:39 pm »

As you get further up, the passage narrows further.  It's narrows slowly, so it's still passable, but you must be careful.  Particularly when the rock starts getting somewhat harder.  The three of you must put in your pitons carefully, lest one accidently slips.

There are also side passages.  Very narrow, but still made of the same dark stone.  These give you the occasional ledge or hand or foothold.  At one of them, Sessha examines a bit of particularly hard stone that broke off.

"These are onyx, Trence.  Not amazingly valuable, but certainly worth something.  We could gather some today.. I don't think the passage goes much further up."

It's pretty much gather-and-stop.  You'll be breaking away the stone you need to hammer into, and creating a large unstable area, very unsafe to press further.  Onyx is moderately valuable.  Do you want to gather some and block off this passage?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4687 on: May 11, 2024, 09:03:03 pm »

No. We need exploration more than moderate shinies.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4688 on: May 12, 2024, 04:29:46 am »

+1

Continue up carefully!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4689 on: May 13, 2024, 05:34:00 pm »

You climb past, sending a few chunks of too-hard stone down the dark shaft while you carefully set up for a further ascent.  This is tricky, and you do indeed mess up the walls, breaking through the relatively thin layer of onyx/dark stone revealing striated, grayish stone below.

But eventually you're past, to reveal..

..more narrowing, and more thin branches above.  Some are just holes in the dark material, others have narrow bits of it going into the distance.  Fairly swiftly, it gets too narrow to climb higher, although you can still see the narrow path continue upwards for some distance.

Stymied, you go down and collect some onyx as a parting gift, finding four good chunks of gem-like onyx bits.  A couple more were probably broken, but you still collected some good ones.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4690 on: May 14, 2024, 01:24:30 am »

Go down until we find a side passage we can get into and see where it leads.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4691 on: May 14, 2024, 06:29:42 am »

Go down until we find a side passage we can get into and see where it leads.
+1

If no other passages are visible, try going further down the slab chimney if that can be done while avoiding ooze.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4692 on: May 15, 2024, 01:41:35 am »

There aren't any passages down from the Black Pit.  It's just hard, flat basement rock.  Nothing further down.

Further down the slab chimney, however..

It's a long way down.  You use up most all of your remaining pitons (more will be dropped tomorrow), to climb well down, onto a cracked gray stone floor, at the edge of a large medium chamber.

It's also warm and there's a scent of sulfur.

"That's Demon Smell", says Sessha.

As a reminder, Willis is currently out of mana.

Spoiler: Fissure Maze (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4693 on: May 15, 2024, 01:56:26 am »

Lets look around the warm room.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4694 on: May 15, 2024, 03:16:09 am »

Pages: 1 ... 311 312 [313] 314