Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 326

Author Topic: Extinction  (Read 256770 times)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Extinction
« Reply #4350 on: November 29, 2023, 01:08:12 am »

Hm…

Also, ask about the possibility of converting the damage type of incoming damage. Is there armour, accessories or magic that can make fire damage count as normal physical damage, or as ice damage, for example?
+1, though I suspect if it exists it'll only work for->to one type which only helps us a little. Though Resist All Except Weak + Weak->Strong might be an interesting workaround.
+1
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4351 on: November 29, 2023, 06:38:23 am »

Death Ward + Elemental Armour on the same item

"Oh, sure, no problem."  Death Ward is cheap, about one upgrade each.  Rings of elemental armour are about twice as expensive.  Both together is doable for four upgrades each.  They'll have to be made, but you can get them done in a few days.

canceling out one attack per round

"That sounds more like a skill thing.  If you want to cancel damage, that's what potions are for.  Blocking attacks or redirecting them are skill things, really."  (The physical effects you got from the scabbard guy combined with Spar's duelist skills essentially prevents this.  Except for big Trence's Cover ability.. which means attacks would just hit him.)

Sessha does add "Sonic Stun can do that.  I don't expect Spar will fail the save very often at all."

Ask an armor guy for specifics on Resist All on armor.

It's easier to do on light armour than heavier, and easier to do if you sacrifice physical defense than not.  And it's easier to do if you leave a weakness to be covered by an emblem.

You're out of gold or better emblems.  Working it out for the four party members..

Trence needs basic resistance to everything.  The cheapest solution is to buy a gold fire emblem and install it in some custom medium armour.  Net cost is three upgrades (selling his existing armour) for six defense, zero magic defense, and single-resistance to everything.

Willis is cheaper, thanks to the Web Shooters, granting one rank of earth and fire resistance.  He can wear the equivalent in protection for only two upgrades, with the emblem shifting over to a lightning one.  6 defense, zero magic defense.  Single-resist everything but fire and earth.

Sessha is also cheaper.  It'll only cost one upgrade for the trade, given her lighter armour, but at the base is a notable decrease in protection.  One upgrade for five defense, zero magic resistance, and single-resist to everything.  For her light armour it'll only need a silver water emblem, which you already own.

Alice can save money due to horse barding, but heavy armour is more expensive.  Not having to cover for wind helps some.  For her it'll be four upgrades for seven defense, zero magic resistance, and single-resistance to all but wind.  It also turns out to need a gold Lightning emblem.

These are all equivalent to [+5] armour, but their defenses and magic defenses are fairly low and can be improved on with more money spent.

Is there a way to turn a party fight into a set of 1v1s? Hall of mirrors spell?

Uncle doesn't know, but it's a damned interesting idea.  He's never heard of such a thing, but..

..That jackass Dorren is going to hit you with something like that, isn't he?  That sounds like his kind of thing.

Also, ask about the possibility of converting the damage type of incoming damage. Is there armour, accessories or magic that can make fire damage count as normal physical damage, or as ice damage, for example?

"That kind of spell does exist.  Converting one type of magic damage to physical, or some physical to a certain specific element is possible.  As equipment it seems doubtful.  As a hitall equivalent spell, something like that can happen.  Yes, though, expect one element to one other element."

"Although, maybe a consumable thing could work.  Making an item to force someone's fire damage to become ice damage, or to attune their weapon to fire or ice or lightning or whatever.. that should be possible, too.

I don't know if it'd work on Valterre, though.  Other people, even other spellcasters, sure, it should work.  But Valterre is very powerful and might beat an ordinary consumable messing with it."
« Last Edit: November 29, 2023, 06:47:10 am by Devastator »

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • I want to be your blahaj.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4352 on: November 29, 2023, 11:33:38 am »

It would be funny to defeat Valterre by throwing lightning pine resin at it.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4353 on: November 29, 2023, 02:27:46 pm »

That's actually a really solid idea.  If you want to go with that method, I'll be charging more than one upgrade for the custom consumables, and you'll still need the resistance to that element, but I won't say no to it.  It would still be subject to Spar's bullshit "I go first" ability, and it'd reset if she's restored via restoration spell/potion.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4354 on: November 29, 2023, 07:34:33 pm »

The drawback, in the case, is that we’d see one party member downed the instant the fight began, and another would have to use an item the first turn. Also, Spar would get her instant down every time she used a restore or the “buff” wore off.
One wheel short of a wagon

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4355 on: November 29, 2023, 07:39:19 pm »

Is restoration a "remove all negative status", "remove all status", or "remove any status you don't want"?

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4356 on: November 29, 2023, 09:26:55 pm »

"Remove all status", but there are a few exceptions to certain specific positive effects, like healing auras.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4357 on: November 30, 2023, 01:33:31 am »

Is there a way to kill him from a distance so we don't have to be close enough to be attacked by him, like with a cannon or something?
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4358 on: November 30, 2023, 01:53:00 am »

Maybe.

Spar Hessom is the leader of the Four Swords of Valterre, the adventuring party you've had several clashes with so far.  You've fought three of them, Carina of the Starry Skies, Arngrim the Mountain Hammer, and that asshole, Dorren of Mossberg, Magister Arcane.

They've been hired by a group called the Concordat.  After their last defeat, during the seige of Tulia, they've retreated to the Isle Perilous.  For some reason they have decided that Trence Colunstin must die.

In order to get them to stop, you're going to need to meet their leaders face to face.  This is difficult because their leaders, the Lords of the Concordat, don't leave their personal quarters inside the large complex on the island.  In particular, Alice has let you know their living quarters are under a building called the "Dome of the Shadowed Skies."  A building she has never entered.

At some point between the outside of the island and the Dome of the Shadowed Skies, the four swords will try to fight it out with you.  If you can come up with a reliable method to not fight them, or fight them under cannonfire or something, that could work.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4359 on: November 30, 2023, 02:13:40 am »

Dang that makes it sound like there isn't really a nuke it from orbit option for fighting the four swords.

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4360 on: November 30, 2023, 02:46:48 am »

Well, Trence does know that flying dragon forms exist.  ;-p  As do giant cannons.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4361 on: November 30, 2023, 03:27:00 am »

Damn we need to get a hold of both of those things so we can become the bomber we've always needed!

Devastator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4362 on: November 30, 2023, 04:47:54 am »

You kinda already have a giant cannon.  His name is Willis.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4363 on: November 30, 2023, 11:40:44 am »

Wouldn't Spar just go first though

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4364 on: November 30, 2023, 03:06:34 pm »

You kinda already have a giant cannon.  His name is Willis.
Dragonrider Willis sounds like an amazing plan, but we should probably get ready for a ground battle anyway.

Wouldn't Spar just go first though
Also this. I don't think we're going to be able to get around her trashing someone instantly and every round thereafter.

I kinda want to go fancy for everything, so I say we buy the accessories and then go adventuring in robot antarctica, or that island outpost they have, looking for more cash and maybe something fancy enough to keep and use.

Ask about further additions to the accessories, like magic resist. Ask about questing for accessory parts, if that would make them cheaper or more powerful.
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.
Pages: 1 ... 289 290 [291] 292 293 ... 326