Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Survival Guide for a COVID winter wonderland  (Read 2324 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Survival Guide for a COVID winter wonderland
« on: July 16, 2020, 03:03:35 am »

OK, Since at least the USA (where I live) has leadership that is beyond just inept, and is showing clear and present signs of being willfully malicious about this global pandemic, I have decided to share some simple things you can do yourself at home to help alleviate any need (whatsoever) to leave the house for the coming winter months.

Since I very much doubt that my federal or state level governments will appropriately plan for this winter season, here's a small survival guide. The unfortunate reality in the USA, is that 1 in 8 children suffer from food poverty when things are "normal".  The COVID-19 situation is poised to be a very protracted period of necessary isolation, reduced employment, reduced income opportunity, and increased food shortage for a significant portion of society. Winter conditions will further increase this unfortunate reality.  Hence this guide.

These things should be doable for anybody that has sufficient room inside their house, even city-bound people with no yard.

First up: Setting up an indoor garden.

Materials:

A room you can dedicate to this purpose.
Several large plastic kiddie pools.
Large plastic planters. (Or if you have a 3D printer, a huge roll of inexpensive nylon weed trimmer, and lots of free time to print them out.)
Bulk potting medium (mix this with soil from someplace.)
Some kind of grow light, or other easily sourced bright light source.
Seeds
Time
Dedication

The following plants can all be successfully grown indoors over the winter, using a shallow planter.

Tomato
Green bean
Black bean
Pinto Bean

Pepper
Cabbage
Kale
Buckwheat (an obscure pseudo-cereal, that can be made into noodles, or used similarly to rice or barley in soups. It can make a gluten-free flour if you have a flour mill.)

Additional:

It is possible to easily cultivate mushrooms without having to order spawn from a catalog. You just need some fresh mushrooms from the store, a blender, some 3% hydrogen peroxide, an aquarium (or other suitable container you can keep dust out of, and or use cellophane cling wrap on), and some substrate material.

The easiest to grow are oyster mushrooms.  These can grow on shredded paper as the substrate, which is difficult for basically anything else that could spoil the culture run to grow on. (like competitive mold.) This makes it easy and effective for the beginner.

The basic process:

Buy a container of fresh oyster mushroom from the store.  At least in my area, these can be obtained at walmart.
Shred an epic buttload of cardboard. (The mushrooms do better on brown, unbleached paper-- but will still grow on white.)
Clean the inside of a blender, and the aquarium with the hydrogen peroxide.
Mix the shredded paper and the peroxide inside the aquarium, until it is moist enough that the paper balls together, but does not easily wring out moisture.
Cover with the cling film, and set aside.
In the peroxide cleansed blender, drop in a small amount of fresh mushroom, and cover with just enough peroxide to cover about half-way.
This stuff will foam like a shaken bottle of soda once you turn it on, so be wary, and DO NOT OVER FILL.
The purpose of this operation is to kill all the parasitic bacteria and fungi that are on the outside of the mushrooms, while leaving the inner portions of the mushroom bits we will produce spawn from alive and sterilized. 
Once you have loaded the blender, use the slowest speed, and chop the mushrooms in the peroxide until they are about 1cm sized pieces.
Again, this will foam more than you think possible. This is normal. Expect it. Plan for it. Have towels ready. 
Pour the foamy mushroom bits into the prepared growing media, and stir it up while wearing rubber gloves. 
Cover the aquarium with cling film and poke small holes in the film for air exchange using a toothpick.

Place the aquarium on a shelf someplace out of the way, where it will remain approximately 70F, and mostly dark.  Within 24h, you should see white fuzz forming inside the aquarium, and within 3 days, there should be noticeable mycelial growth.  Mushroom pinning should begin approximately 1 month after innoculation.  The tank can flush with mushrooms approximately 3 times, by exposing the aquarium to light, and adding some fresh, sterilized water. It is recommended to not completely exhaust the media, but to instead have a fresh load of paper ready to "divide and mix", so that you can revitalize your operation.  You can have fresh mushrooms all year long this way.

Other kinds of mushroom can be grown similarly, but will need a different (and harder to keep contaminant free) medium, such as coffee grounds, wheat berries, Milo, etc...  These include Cremini (white button and portabella mushrooms) shiitake, and straw mushrooms.  The same process with the peroxide can be utilized to initiate spawning from fresh mushroom, but you will have to boil the media to sterilize it, and be very fastidious about keeping the aquarium clean. These mushroom species require a more nutritious substrate, which can harbor bacterial and fungal contaminants.

While you will probably get tired of the fare, if managed well this should keep you in at least *SOME* fresh produce all winter long, and hopefully will provide sufficient nutrient density to prevent deficiency.

In addition to the stay-at-home indoor garden, it is highly recommended that you keep on hand:

A 1 month supply of tylenol, for each person in your house. (You do not know if you will be one of the "lucky people" who gets to enjoy a protracted recovery or not-- Plan for it all the same.)
1 one month supply of toilet paper.
Appropriate cleaning products for a 1 month stay
A fully stocked first aid kit (because you never know, and you should have this anyway.)

With proper prep and effort, it should be possible to avoid leaving the house for months at a time.

In preparation for winter, should you already have a garden outside, and have surplus produce--
It is also entirely possible to produce home-made canned goods.  You will need a pressure cooker, mason jars (with lids and rings), and appropriate canning directions for your produce of choice. Many such guides are freely available online.  This will let you sock back some things that cannot be easily grown indoors, like sweet corn, carrots, fresh fruit, etc.

If anyone else has any bits of general wisdom to share, go ahead and drop in a reply.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 03:39:08 am by wierd »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Survival Guide for a COVID winter wonderland
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2020, 09:46:24 pm »

This is super cool, wierd. Thanks a lot.

I can chip in cleaning and disinfection tips if anyone wants. I've worked in schools for years so at least know "regulation quality" cleaning practices.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2020, 10:54:48 pm »

Human flesh has all the micronutrients necessary for a healthy adult human to thrive.

I'm just providing you with the info. What you do with it is your business
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2020, 02:31:13 am »

The following plants can all be successfully grown indoors over the winter, using a shallow planter.

Tomato
Green bean
Black bean
Pinto Bean

Pepper
Cabbage
Kale
Buckwheat (an obscure pseudo-cereal, that can be made into noodles, or used similarly to rice or barley in soups. It can make a gluten-free flour if you have a flour mill.)

Additional:

It is possible to easily cultivate mushrooms without having to order spawn from a catalog.

The mushroom project sounds interesting. I might try that.

I see kale is on the list. Why not grow this outside? quite a few cabbage species are winter hardy (unless you live in Siberia I guess), and kale especially tastes better after being hit by frost.  You can harvest it all winter long and make some traditional Dutch winter dishes. Here's a recipe: https://coquinaria.nl/en/dutch-winterfare/
You probably can't get those sausages outside of the Netherlands, but Chairmanpoo may have some recipies, judging by his post above.  ;D

Just keep in mind that to feed a single human you need at least several acres of land, so do not have too high expectations about growing food to sustain yourself, it will be very inefficient compared to buying storable food. It is a fun hobby though.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:49:13 am by Bralbaard »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2020, 02:54:26 am »

In the US, the most statistically likely areas to suffer from food poverty are inner cities.

There's a scarcity of tillable soil in such localities.  Mass homeothermy is poor with a container planter in the winter. Better to keep indoors. Additionally, seasonal climate has been changing in the US over the past decade (despite the denialists.) Winters in some areas have gotten absurdly cold and blustery. I doubt kale would handle a New York "Arctic vortex" winter, for instance.

The intent is not really "Full self-sufficiency"-- see also the "at least *SOME* fresh produce" line.

The intent is to supplement a more "Dried and canned goods" heavy diet, with things that you need to stay healthy, but which are highly perishable-- such as produce. 

EG, "what should I do about everything in my larder being pasta, flour, and dry milk?.... ... Some tomatoes would be real nice here, or some hot peppers.. Some fresh green beans would do well here too-- etc.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 02:59:50 am by wierd »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2020, 06:07:31 am »

PTW
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2020, 08:57:35 am »

Human flesh has all the micronutrients necessary for a healthy adult human to thrive.

I'm just providing you with the info. What you do with it is your business

Might come with covid though
Love, scriver~

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2020, 10:07:37 am »

PTW

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 17, 2020, 10:27:58 am »

Search results for "does cooking human flesh kill off coronavirus" only returned a link to the FBI crime report form.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2020, 10:41:49 am »

Concern. What do you do about vermin? No doubt all this produce being grown as such is bound to attract uninvited pests. Given where I live (South Florida), that's not something I could ignore lightly.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 10:46:28 am by ShinQuickMan »

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2020, 02:57:38 pm »

That is going to be regionally specific.  Some pests can be dealt with easily (like mold and damping-off disease caused by humidity-- put some hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle and spray the mold whenever it appears on your containers. Plants have tough cellulose cell membranes. Bacteria and fungus do not. Some fungi have enzymes to deal with it, like mushrooms, but molds typically do not. That makes peroxide a handy mold buster spray for container gardening.)

For large, hard bodied insect pests (beetles, etc) try putting a light dusting of diatomaceous earth in and around the planters.  The tiny and sharp diatom shells cause abrasion, puncture, and laceration wounds to the joints of hard bodied insects that crawl through it. For small flying insects, unless you want to use chemical pesticides I would suggest encouraging phantom spiders and orb weavers.

Outside, large insect predators like mantids do a number.

EDIT: Correct bad typos from using mobile device to post
« Last Edit: July 17, 2020, 06:03:27 pm by wierd »

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2020, 05:29:48 pm »

Other anti-insect strategies to consider are companion planting - specifically onions and garlic are significant deterents for many species - growing/producing your own insecticide in the form of Pyrethrum (aka Tanacetum cinerariifolium) or merely spraying plants with soapy water.

femmelf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2020, 09:23:47 pm »

PTW.

No confidence in my thumb being green but interested in this.

It's a shame there isn't some practical way to show growing inside for everyday people. Most people have no idea how to grow anything, much less indoors. That's sad and I wish it wasn't that way. Honestly, I have no idea how to get food except for a grocery store. I don't think most people do.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2020, 06:15:08 am »

Other anti-insect strategies to consider are companion planting - specifically onions and garlic are significant deterents for many species - growing/producing your own insecticide in the form of Pyrethrum (aka Tanacetum cinerariifolium) or merely spraying plants with soapy water.

Some good advice there, having different crops is important as well, they are unlikely to all be vulnerable to the same pests, so if pests show up, not all crops are lost.

Not sure if growing your own pyrethrum is worth it, it's likely more usefull to use the space to grow more food crops. Growing food is one thing, but growing and formulating your own pesticides is another, there's reasons why stuff like that is regulated.

That is going to be regionally specific.  Some pests can be dealt with easily (like mold and damping-off disease caused by humidity-- put some hydrogen peroxide into a spray bottle and spray the mold whenever it appears on your containers. Plants have tough cellulose cell membranes. Bacteria and fungus do not. Some fungi have enzymes to deal with it, like mushrooms, but molds typically do not. That makes peroxide a handy mold buster spray for container gardening.)

Hydrogen peroxide can seriously damage your plants (depending on the concentration) and it will only work against superficial molds like powdery mildew, not sure if it actually does anything to soil-borne diseases. My gut feeling says it will react very aggessively with the soil, and will likely be spend before it can interact with soil fungi.
Anyhow, because of the potential for crop damage: try on a small area first and give it some time, before trying it on all your plants

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2020, 06:29:22 am »

https://theadventurebite.com/damping-off-seedlings-cure/

It is very frequently prescribed for that condition.
Pages: [1] 2