Headshoots Lunar Facility
- 2 (66.7%)
Hellcannon Gardens
- 1 (33.3%)
Bay12’s Jurassic Park.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 3

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30

Author Topic: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon, Zoo Tycoon 2, and JPOG  (Read 65269 times)

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
Re: The Bay 12 Zoos:Let's Play Zoo Tycoon 2
« Reply #210 on: July 29, 2020, 11:50:09 am »

+0.5 for HellCannon as well. I've never read about that fortress, but the name is pretty damn badass.

Also, I've missed the map selection vote. Shit.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 29, 2020, 12:54:44 pm »

Sorry about that, CABL. I would have waited longer, but the swamp seemed to have a clear lead. Honestly, I'm a bit surprised Antarctica didn't win.

To Mightymushroom, the Paranoia museum is really a collection of walls, windows, paths, elevated paths, fences, and a few more decorative parts. Putting them together allows for custom buildings and interior exhibits, similar to Planet Zoo. There's no practical reason to use them, it's expensive and I don't think the guests care. At least, no more than they do about flowerbeds? I haven't tested them for that. Still, it looks cool. It's easier to show what it does than it is to explain it, so here's an example of a museum I built with the parts in freeform mode with unlimited money.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2020, 01:47:32 pm »

Okay, so the museum is not so hot when I see it in practice. Those textures don't do much for me. Thanks for answering.

I'll vote for any name if we can make it "____ Gardens"

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2020, 09:05:53 pm »

In a change from before, I think from now on I'm going to make the "zoo map" spoiler reflect our zoo at the end of the update rather than the beginning. It'll be better for seeing the overall zoo, since taking high-angle screenshots without the UI getting in the way is more difficult now. I'll be taking most of the screenshots for this LP from ground level, since I'm using an ingame camera.

Everybody's got a water buffalo

Zoo fame:0.5 stars
Spoiler: Zoo map (click to show/hide)

January-February, Year One

We are now the HellCannon Gardens.

With our initial $5,000, we set up our first buildings and bought an African buffalo, per the request from Animal Care Quarterly. I also sold some trees, unnecessary paths, and furniture to get us some extra money.

I tried to make the buildings fit our "swamp" theme. Slowly, but surely, guests began to wander in. We quickly completed our first challenge.

Our guests have actual names now. Our first customer was the one shown here, Tracy Piaseczny.

Using the profits from the photograph, we were able to afford a second buffalo and our first donation box.

While waiting for the money to build a dwarf crocodile exhibit, we were given an exciting opportunity to cripple our income for months by a local venture capitalist.

I went ahead and rejected the offer. We'll get it again later, if you all really want to go for it eventually.

I also turned down an offer from a matching donation program, for now. It would normally be a good deal, but our buffalos aren't drawing enough donations yet and it would have stopped us from getting a better challenge for a while.

By early February, we got a really good challenge.

Our admission fees are trivial at the moment anyway, and it'll be easy to keep our buffalos healthy for a month. We've accepted the challenge, and the upfront money paid for our first dwarf crocodile.

There's a day/night cycle now, making for some fun opportunities for screenshots.

A frog wanders through the grounds of the HellCannon Gardens.

My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2020, 09:26:40 pm »

If not for the challenge I'd say to see if we could shove a bongo in there but I get the feeling at least one of them might not like it at first.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 30, 2020, 04:59:05 am »

Is it time for zebras, or should we wait a little longer for that kind of thing.

Also I have no idea what animals you can get in this game, as I only messed with it a little just long enough to find out you could kick tires and have several hundred zebras wandering around.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 30, 2020, 07:59:16 am »

Is it time for zebras, or should we wait a little longer for that kind of thing.

Also I have no idea what animals you can get in this game, as I only messed with it a little just long enough to find out you could kick tires and have several hundred zebras wandering around.

The OP has been updated for zoo tycoon 2 and has a list of the animals we can get and our next unlocks.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 30, 2020, 10:12:13 am »

Didn't realize that's where the new stuff was.

Also I kind of want to have a pin that has a ATM in it surrounded by gravestones, or maybe a gazelle.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 30, 2020, 11:58:56 pm »

Moving the map and fame section to the end of the update, since they're meant to represent where we are at the end of the post.

Construction

February-June, Year One.

The rest of February was largely uneventful. Our zoo carried on as we waited for the challenge to officially complete, and we gave our dwarf crocodile a treat.

It wasn't too long until we reached our first full star.

By the beginning of March, the city council announced that they were pleased with our results.

With the proceeds, I bought a mate for our crocodile and built a version of King Zultan's request. I wasn't entirely sure what you were going for, but hopefully this is close. I left it open so the guests can actually use the ATM. I'll add more graves later as our budget permits.

Over the next couple months, we completed another challenge and our first baby animal was born.

We picked up a gift cart to help the guests empty out any money they'd rather not spend on hot dogs or donations.

By May, we won our first award.

Finally, we finished up another $5,000 challenge in June.

I think we made good use of the prize money.

That exhibit now contains two bongos and two dwarf crocodiles. It required a good deal of expansion to create sufficient land area for the bongos, but I think it'll work out, since the bongos don't bother the crocodiles and the crocodiles are too small to hurt them.

Doing the dirty work.

Zoo fame:1 star
My mods and forum games.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 31, 2020, 02:55:39 am »

built a version of King Zultan's request. I wasn't entirely sure what you were going for, but hopefully this is close. I left it open so the guests can actually use the ATM. I'll add more graves later as our budget permits.
I have no idea but the idea struck me as funny for some reason, but yes it needs more graves.

Also I feel like killer penguins are something we should strive to have in our zoo in the future.

CABL

• Bay Watcher
  • Has a fetish for voring the rich
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 31, 2020, 07:57:10 am »

Sorry about that, CABL.

Nah, that's my fault. I wanted to login, but got distracted by some RL stuff.

Also I feel like killer penguins are something we should strive to have in our zoo in the future.

+1. Also, return of Mr. Cobblepot's criminal empire and his "ice cream" stands.
Pounded in the Butt by my own Government... oh wait, that's real life.

Much less active than I used to be on these forums, but I still visit them on occasion. Will probably resume my activity in full once Dwarf Fortress will be released on Steam.

mightymushroom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 31, 2020, 08:05:59 am »

Before we have killer penguins, can we have common peafowl?
And an elephant fountain.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 31, 2020, 09:06:24 pm »

Graves and Peafowl

June-July, Year One.

So I have good news and bad news to start off June. The good news is that we were promptly offered an easy challenge for a lot of money, and the bad news is that the dwarf crocodiles and bongos proved incompatible in the long run. A dwarf crocodile was somehow able to kill an adult bongo. Thankfully, an (actual) fortuitously timed crash eliminated the bongo-slaying incident while sparing the challenge.

This time, we've kept our bongos safe from their improbable assailants by splitting the rainforest exhibit in two. In the process, I learned something new about the game. Before, I was taking aerial screenshots by simply switching into 1st-person camera mode in midair and taking the shot quickly. However, just now I realized I can just save the game and take a normal screenshot while the UI is briefly removed. Wish I'd noticed that earlier.

By late July, we had won the challenge. Getting the enrichment object photo was trivial, since we were able to fulfill the condition with a picture of a bongo just looking at a salt lick. The baby took longer, since the African buffalo's first calf had already grown up. Fortunately, the mother buffalo was pregnant again.

We used the prize money to build the peafowl exhibit that Mightymushroom requested. I would also have added Mr. Cobblepot's ice cream stand, but we haven't unlocked those just yet.

The rest of the money went to adding a whole bunch more graves to King Zultan's ATM. No idea who they all are, but I'm guessing they weren't very popular based on the tendency of our guests to regularly visit and applaud the graves.

Next up is the killer penguin. That one's going to have to wait for next time, I think. To get the killer penguin, we're going to need an Extinct Research lab. The lab will cost us $8,000 and require $1,250 a month from our budget. It'll be difficult to afford that, but it will mean that we can start cloning extinct animals for free by gathering fossils.

*Whoops, nearly forgot Mightymushroom's elephant fountain.

The HellCannon Gardens, as seen from above.

Zoo fame:1 star
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 09:14:03 pm by Enemy post »
My mods and forum games.

lukerules117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 31, 2020, 10:17:47 pm »

>A dwarf crocodile was somehow able to kill an adult bongo.

It wouldn't be a bay12 zoo without some senseless act of aggression leading to an unexpected death, however I am still determined to shove animals in the same exhibit whenever possible, and to that end I say we get a flamingo(just one until we know if its a danger) to put with our bison. It will add some color to our zoo, be our first bird, and at least neither of them are known to eat things similar to each other. Lets also get a dromedary exhibit going as they're an animal that's relatively common in DF and I recall at least one of the hall of fame succession forts had an issue with them at one point.

TL;DR version: Buy flamingos to absorb the upkeep of the research lab, make note to eventually get dromedaries when we start savanna.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 01, 2020, 05:52:17 am »

I like how people clap at the graves.

Also I think it might be zebra time, unless we don't have those unlocked then we should start planning out a jeep ride through the swamp thing.

Do any of the mods you got include something similar to Shrek because we're in a swamp and we need it.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 30