Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: When Enemies Yield  (Read 1989 times)

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When Enemies Yield
« on: June 18, 2020, 06:31:26 pm »

What's the consequence, if any, of killing someone who has yielded in combat?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: When Enemies Yield
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 10:00:48 pm »

Not much. Some kind of reputation hit possibly.
Obviously it becomes a lot more important when Villains gets round to being completed. Dead men tell no tales and all that...

Superdorf

• Bay Watcher
  • Soothly we live in mighty years!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 10:43:47 pm »

Main thing is, by attacking a yielded foe you immediately escalate the conflict to "No Quarter" if it wasn't there already. Should the slain foe have allies in combat, those allies in turn will show you no quarter should you attempt to yield yourself.

Worth keeping in mind for bandit fights and whatnot.
Falling angel met the rising ape, and the sound it made was

klonk
tormenting the player is important
Sigtext

HungThir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2020, 01:11:55 am »

i think i remember that when enemies have yielded, even if i left them alone, my companions would just keep wailing on them.  i haven't done much adventuring in 47 yet... do the new companion/combat controls take care of this?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2020, 01:51:59 am »

i think i remember that when enemies have yielded, even if i left them alone, my companions would just keep wailing on them.  i haven't done much adventuring in 47 yet... do the new companion/combat controls take care of this?
You have direct control over your companions now, so yeah.
Not sure if they still ignore yields if they're left on auto. Probably...

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2020, 08:37:48 am »

You have direct control over your companions now, so yeah.
Not sure if they still ignore yields if they're left on auto. Probably...

I think you only have direct control over companions you made at character creation, not over people you hire during the adventure.

In my experience companions would (usually) stop fighting when an enemy had yielded. However, there was an issue with certain enemies, mostly single bandits who ambushed you in the wilderness, that they would yield but never actually end their combat state against you - with the result that, if you walked away from them, they'd instantly stop yielding and "attack" you again (i.e. run away from you, which for some reason is considered an "attack"), thus elevating the combat to No Quarter. So, in the end, you were better off just killing them while they yielded.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2020, 04:34:48 pm »

at this point I kinda find it better to say you can control the other adventuring party members than saying you can only control your companions you make at the start. since that doesn't cover Pets and sapient pets you can get.
that and each adventurer in the party can have their own personal companions.

though with yielding opponents due to my pacifist playstyle tend to just be peaceful if told to stop and probably join my group, otherwise I would have fast travel away.

also due to pacifist playstyle I end up in a lot of ambushes that just end with me walking away while the crowd just disperse.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes