Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19651 times)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Design Phase
« Reply #330 on: June 29, 2020, 08:45:51 pm »

First, they don't have such technology, therefore we'd have to lay all our own track. Second, a scout train prevents other trains from using the track, making fast response more difficult. Third, only we have that techology.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: June 29, 2020, 08:58:42 pm »

Uh, Tric? Other nations have railroads.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: June 29, 2020, 10:12:20 pm »

Back once again with everyone favorite thing, the Hexahorse. Now with less weapons and extra flags.
Quote from: Johnstone's Hexapedal Pneumatic Horse
Johnstone's Hexahorse
 Calvary on the modern battlefield have two main problems; they are overly fragile against massed fire and they lack the firepower to dispersed formations of well drilled men. To solve this(as well as to reduce the expense and supply problems of having large bodies of trained calvary horses), Edward G. Johnstone has developed the Hexahorse, a hexipedal combat unit crewed by two troopers and capable of mounting one of a number of different forms of weaponry.
 The Hexahorse is armored to resist point-blank rifle fire(even against its joints) using techniques learned from those few still constructing plate armor in this day and age, with the "Rouncey" model provided with an open-topped turret that could, for example, hold a hypothetical rapid-fire weapon developed by one George Hubert Archer.
 With communication on the modern battlefield being paramount a pair of whip-staffs are provided to hold signal flags or our glorious national standard in parades. A set of six fireworks mortars are likewise provided for parades and totally not for flares for combat signaling.
 Power to the Hexahorse is provided by a pair of compressed-air engines on a common drive train, powered by high-pressure air stored in a number of air flasks distributed around the vessel.
 Johnstone has also proposed a "Charger" variant of the Hexahorse mounting a steam core and air compressors to not only refill its own air flasks but the air flasks of other Hexahorses, be they linked directly with hoses or via extra flasks that are swapped out. This does come at a cost however, as the Charger lacks all weaponry and only has a crew of one.
 -fluff below-
 There are some rumors of other models being designed, from the civilian(and thus unarmored) Thoroughbred, the Courser(single-man, minimal armor, unarmed, but with extra air flasks for distance travel), and the Destrier which, according to the rumors, will be rather more heavily armored and armed with some sort of "big gun".

Quote from: Archer Rapid-Fire Gun
Archer Gun
 Inspired by the Fingertrap and the proposed automatic gun port, George Hurbert Archer has designed the Archer Gun for our glorious Empire. The Archer Gun is designed around two systems driven by pneumatic power: a "chamber-chain" of small pre-loaded chambers(including percussion caps) and multiple barrels and actions with loading being done in stages. With just the press of a button the firearm operates; with one barrel "setting" a chamber off the chain into its breach, the second rotating up into the firing position and firing, and the third removing a spent chamber from its breach and setting it back on the chain, the chain thus leading into a container for future reloading or into a small automated reloading press, depending on where the Archer Gun is located. This reloading press(or in positions without the reloader, the simple expedient of linking sections of chamber-chain together) allows the Archer Gun to sustain its fire against our foes of, effectively, forever. The crew will wear out prior to the gun, and the gun prior to running out of supplies for reloading.
 Truly, the model of modern military engineering, combining firearms and assembly lines. It has even been designed to effortlessly mount within the turret of the Hexahorse or the walkways of the Wallace-Walker Walker, should one be inclined. As a breach-loader, it naturally rifled and utilizes conical rounds to increase projectile mass and thus wounding potential.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: June 29, 2020, 10:42:44 pm »

Quadricycle Trains

Quadricycles are vehicles with four wheels propelled by a steam engine. The vehicle is heavy and slow, with a “pilot” or “driver” at the controls in an open cab as an engineer keeps the boiler going. The back section is a detachable flat bed with hooks and the like for tying down cargo (the flat bed section also has four wheels but we don’t count those...unless people prefer octocycles) People can also ride in the back of a quadricycle, though it might not be the most comfortable.

Quadricycles are extremely powerful, even if they are a little slow, and show this when hooked to multiple flatbeds. A number of fully loaded Quadricycle beds should be pulled by a single quadricycle. Where our trains cannot reach, and our weakboi airships too weak and afraid to go, our quadricycle trains shall tread without fear!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: June 29, 2020, 10:48:05 pm »

'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun.
The Titanslayer is the newest, nastiest piece of artillery to be devised by man. This rifled breach-loading artillery piece, designed as a 'mountain gun' (Read: man/mule-portable) fires a light 75mm shell over long distances and is, relatively speaking, an accurate artillery piece. It's primary munitions are shrapnel and HE (Armour Piercing having been dismissed as worthless; what kind of man could wear armour to stop an artillery shell?) and loaded as singular, 'quick fire' cartridges as opposed to shot and powder being separate components.

Angus Steam Man
Based on the design of the Walter-Wallace, the Angus takes things a little further in making the vehicle more combat oriented. Replacing the squishy and clumsy crew with a steam core powered computational device, the Angus is able to propel itself rather than needing human crew. While the machine's intelligence is basic, it can follow orders as well as an infantryman.

The large mass of the walker is also given life as a weapon in itself, between the improved plating distribution to protect vital components and joints, and the fact it now has arms and will use them judiciously to beat down what we tell it to.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: June 30, 2020, 12:21:51 am »

'Empire's Glory' Self-Motive Infantry Harness
Named for what is clearly our everlasting empire's eternal glory which will never fade, our newest invention is a means to give infantry more protection on the battlefield. It is a suit of powered armor, powered by a massive coiled steel spring on the back, spun up by a typical steam boiler on a cart prior to combat action. Distributed throughout the armored limbs of the suit are a system of springs and pistons run by the steady uncoiling of the main spring. The springs work to lighten the suit and aid the user's movements, allowing them to bear the thick steel armor plating without being slowed down. The simple spring action means that a user's strength is not increased, but it also means that no intricate control system or balancing is needed, we can rely on the operator for all of that directly.

The armor is heavy-duty plate, with gaps filled with thick scale armor to protect the gaps in the plates without needing overlapping protection like a suit of late medieval plate does. It is meant to be used for shock troops, deployed in units directly into battle from their carts, to make the most of the limitations of the spring system. In desperate situations, a wrench and ratchet gear system comes with the armor that can be used to, slowly, wind up the mechanism without the steam generator, but it is an arduous task due to the power of the springs. A helmet is included, heavily armored, with a wide brim and with an armored visor that can be lowered into place when desired. The helmet is heavy but can be rested on the armor or slung on the breastplate when not in use.

So I ended up rewriting this because, well, I had wanted to write one. Oh well.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: July 01, 2020, 11:40:09 am »

Someone make a bote vox, please.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: July 01, 2020, 12:22:54 pm »

Quote from: Bote Vox
Steam BOTE: (1) TricMagic
'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun: (1) TricMagic

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: July 01, 2020, 12:28:10 pm »

We really, really, really, really need an actual light artillery piece to go with the mech and the train and whatnot. So how about a totally-not-a-Puckle gun, with optional direct steam power? Originally was going to be closer to a Gatling clone but then I realized we might as well just make it a revolver action since at this size it's not going to be firing very fast no matter how much we want it to.

'Hypothetical Rebel Slayer' Imperial Arsenal Revolving Cannon
The wonderful (mostly) success of the 'Old Reliable' revolving sidearm has lead our brightest minds to wonder if it is possible to use the glorious power of steam to make things spin even faster. This new affront against nature carefully engineered prototype weapon takes our great metallurgical knowledge and our skills with weapons and uses it to make a far superior weapon than any hypothetical rebels could possibly have, not that we would ever have any form of rebel, hypothetical or otherwise, as the Empire is of course eternal.

In order to make repeating, no-loader-required firepower possible, we've had to combine cartridges and primers together and make it so the cartridge doesn't have to be manually loaded into the gun or opened or anything like that. Initial trials left bits of burning paper everywhere, so we've had to resort to making a cartridge made of metal, truly a revolutionary step. The percussion cap can then be installed in the back of the cartridge and hit really hard in order to make the whole thing go off and shoot the bullet downrange.

Our first foray into this new revolution comes in the form of a light cannon projectile, of about 30mm diameter, or somewhat less than one pound. The cannon meant to fire it is based on a revolver action, except different. And by "different" we mean "bigger", and by "bigger" we mean "surrounded by machinery that automatically stuffs a new round in each chamber after it is fired and then cocks the hammer again to fire the next round". Rounds are loaded into the device from a magazine that is vertically mounted to the top of the gun, allowing the projectiles to just fall into the gun under gravity. The gravity feed means that magazines can be arbitrarily large within certain limits, allowing the gun to be used on top of mechs without need for anyone to climb out and reload them, which we're told may have lead to some vulnerabilities in battle. The barrel itself is on the bottom of the gun, with the revolving mechanism in a shroud above it to prevent dirt fouling.

The revolving mechanism is powered either by steam or by a hand crank, maintaining a blistering 20 rounds per minute fire rate at maximum power with two people running the large crank handle at the back of the gun. When steam-powered, no human interference is required whatsoever. We are required to suggest that a human should still aim the gun, however.

Quote from: Votebox
Orchestral Cannon Instrument 'The Waffle Iron':
'Empire's Glory' Self-Motive Infantry Harness: (1) Madman
'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun: TricMagic
Steam BOTE: TricMagic
'Hypothetical Rebel Slayer' Imperial Arsenal Revolving Cannon: (1) Madman
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: July 01, 2020, 12:30:11 pm »

Generally it helps if ya include all the proposed things.

Quote from: Container for the Storage of Votes and Suggestions
(1) | Waffle Iron | Evicted Saint
(1) | Steam BOTE |TricMagic
(0) | Power Assisted Combat Suit |
(0) | Scout Locomotive |
(1) |Hexahorse | AseaHeru
(0) | Archer Gun |
(0) | Quadricycle Trains |
(1) | Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun | TricMagic
(0) | Angus Steam Man |
(1) | Self-Motive Infantry Harness | Madman
(2) | Rebel Slayer Revolving Cannon |  Madman, AseaHeru

« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:39:04 pm by Aseaheru »
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: July 01, 2020, 12:33:27 pm »

Quote from: Bote Vox
Steam BOTE: (1) TricMagic
'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun: (1) TricMagic

Well, fuck, man, if I wanted a vote box with just one persons designs, I would have made one with my own.

Fake Edit: Ninja'd by Aseaheru and Madman.

I like that the designs in madman's include links, but Aseaheru's box is more complete.  Can someone merge them?

Real Edit: also put the vote number at the start of the line, for easier reading?

Real Edit Fake Edit: and put my vote on the orchestral cannon, please.

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:41:05 pm by Madman198237 »

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: July 01, 2020, 01:11:56 pm »

Right, so. Lot of things in that there votebox.
I think we have enough vehicles.
We definitely need artillery, but the Hypothetical Rebel Slayer seems a bit too advanced- and small. Titanslayer is definitely too advanced. The Waffle Iron is a better option, I think- fairly simple except for the recoil dampening, but I guess doing a completely bog-standard artillery piece would be boring.
I dunno about power armour. I could get behind doing it, but I'm not sold.
Actually, on reflection, the Hypothetical Rebel Slayer isn't terrible. The metal cartridges are a step too far, I think, but the basic action seems reasonable. And I do want some sort of """rapid""" fire weapon to mount on mechs and such. I'd vote for a less advanced version, I think.

(2) Orchestral Cannon Instrument 'The Waffle Iron': evictedSaint, NUKE9.13
(1) 'Empire's Glory' Self-Motive Infantry Harness: Madman
(1) 'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun: TricMagic
(1) Steam BOTE: TricMagic
(2) 'Hypothetical Rebel Slayer' Imperial Arsenal Revolving Cannon: Madman, AseaHeru
(0) Imperial Armoury Power Assisted Combat Suit:
(1) Scout Locomotive: Doomblade
(1) Johnstone's Hexapedal Pneumatic Horse: Aseaheru
(0) Archer Rapid-Fire Gun:
(1) Quadricycle Trains: Doomblade
Long Live United Forenia!

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: July 01, 2020, 01:31:08 pm »

My first issue with the iron is the need for a steam core. I'd prefer a regular artillery weapon to start with.

(2) Orchestral Cannon Instrument 'The Waffle Iron': evictedSaint, NUKE9.13
(1) 'Empire's Glory' Self-Motive Infantry Harness: Madman
(2) 'Titanslayer' 75mm Mountain Gun: TricMagic, Taricus
(1) Steam BOTE: TricMagic
(3) 'Hypothetical Rebel Slayer' Imperial Arsenal Revolving Cannon: Madman, AseaHeru, Taricus
(0) Imperial Armoury Power Assisted Combat Suit:
(1) Scout Locomotive: Doomblade
(1) Johnstone's Hexapedal Pneumatic Horse: Aseaheru
(0) Archer Rapid-Fire Gun:
(1) Quadricycle Trains: Doomblade

Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 26