Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19665 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -2, Design Phase
« Reply #210 on: June 25, 2020, 01:19:05 pm »

For the guns I really meant that mere 18-pounders, while reasonable enough as medium field artillery, are somewhat unimpressive, and a steam core could no doubt fuel a much more powerful weapon.
You're thinking too late in history. An 18-pound gun, for our military, would be a big field gun. Existing field artillery probably ranges from 6 to 12.
Long Live United Forenia!

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: June 25, 2020, 01:49:49 pm »

Why would we want Walker-Wallace Western Weapon Works?
What work would we welcome within?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: June 25, 2020, 01:57:53 pm »

For the guns I really meant that mere 18-pounders, while reasonable enough as medium field artillery, are somewhat unimpressive, and a steam core could no doubt fuel a much more powerful weapon.
You're thinking too late in history. An 18-pound gun, for our military, would be a big field gun. Existing field artillery probably ranges from 6 to 12.

Probably. I had thought that the 12-pounder was regarded as a relatively mobile piece of field artillery in this time period, with 6-pounders serving as the lightest of lightweight guns, almost equivalent to modern-day mortars in their role as ultra-mobile right-with-the-infantry artillery support.

Honestly infantry warfare isn't exactly my forte, particularly before the American Civil War.
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: June 25, 2020, 03:39:28 pm »

Just for fun, most likely a terrible idea due to cost and a few other things.

Heavy Alfred bombardment locomotive
Named after the son of its designer, this is a weapon to strike fear in the enemies, wherever they are.
This is a large railway locomotive, powered by a steam core and able to carry great loads. This capacity is used by the enormous gas tank and the barrel powered by it.
The Heavy Alfred is a gun with 50 cm bore, the largest of its kind, with a 25 meter barrel. It can shoot enormous solid or explosive projectiles at a distance of over 30 km, compensating its lack of freedom of movement with extraordinary range. It carries behind several carriages for ammunition and its 100 people crew.
When it reaches its position thanks to the eternal imperial railroads, it deploys stabilizers on the sides to provide a stable platform for the gun, then the steam core pressurizes the tank and finally a shot is released with the massive energy of a steam core backing it. Aiming is done by small movements of the gun itself or, for larger arcs, movement across a curved rail segment.
All shall tremble in front of the might of the Heavy Alfred!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: June 25, 2020, 04:26:42 pm »

Makka Airship

The Makka Airship, a screw-propeller using design keeps these ships aloft, their sides filled with many many steam-powered Old Reliable guns.(can be replaced with others as developed) Powered by a Steam Core and with a lightly armored hull, they can rain havoc down on the ground from above, and rule the air with it's deck-mounted steam cannon. Which can double for heavy bombardment of fortresses from out of attack range.

How they are kept aloft is through three metal masts, thin, but connected to the lightwood of the ship's structure. These masts are part of the propellers, with the middle being higher. Included are two propellers in the back for thrust. Good sped and lifting power with the Core powering them. Can land on land and water, though not travel across water. Ship is shaped with a flat-ish bottom.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: June 25, 2020, 04:42:00 pm »

Malls Airship: (1) Doomblade

Because it's over the top and ridiculous, and *that's our job*.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: June 25, 2020, 04:53:39 pm »

All hail the Princess! May her reign be marked by peace and prosperity beyond our wildest imaginings.

Quote from: Year -2 Design Phase Votebox
Makka Airship (1) Doomblade
Archer Rapid-Fire Gun (1) Iridium
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (1) Iridium

Here are my votes. If anyone thinks that either of these things is a terrible idea, feel free to point that out.

(Edit: I'm assuming Doomblade means the Makka, because I couldn't find a Malls anywhere)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:57:55 pm by Iridium64 »
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: June 25, 2020, 04:54:09 pm »

Makka Airship

-snip-
So let me get this straight.

You want an airship, and your first thought is "what if we make a helicopter airship out of a literal ship?"? And furthermore, you actually think a SCREW PROPELLER is capable of working as a helicopter rotor?

If this was, like, a da Vinci helicopter design it'd be OKish enough. But, like, lifting an entire ship into the air is a little absurd particularly as a first try. For goodness' sake the double-action revolver was Hard, just how literally Impossible is this likely to be?
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: June 25, 2020, 04:57:10 pm »

Makka Airship

-snip-
So let me get this straight.

You want an airship, and your first thought is "what if we make a helicopter airship out of a literal ship?"? And furthermore, you actually think a SCREW PROPELLER is capable of working as a helicopter rotor?

If this was, like, a da Vinci helicopter design it'd be OKish enough. But, like, lifting an entire ship into the air is a little absurd particularly as a first try. For goodness' sake the double-action revolver was Hard, just how literally Impossible is this likely to be?
Oh, you hush. This is steampunk, screw propellers and Da Vinci Aesthetic have mad buffs.

Makka Airship (1) Doomblade
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (1) Iridium
Heavy Alfred Bombardment Locomotive: (1) Doomblade
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 05:00:53 pm by Doomblade187 »
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: June 25, 2020, 05:04:45 pm »

Makka Airship (2) Doomblade, TricMagic
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (2) Iridium, TricMagic

These are the turns of peace. Ambitious is good, ambition is life. Just look at our princess.
That and the use of a Steam Core, so it can be considered closer to a National Effort. The experience is juicy.

Unless you don't plan on making airships, in which case I say, 'Airships are good, steampunk without airships isn't very romantic.'

The Archer is also kinda insane too, but in a good way. There is also the Steamwalker for mecha-enthusiasts to vote for, which is also cool.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: June 25, 2020, 05:07:14 pm »

Can you please add my Arthur vote back in?

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: June 25, 2020, 05:07:57 pm »

Makka Airship (2) Doomblade, TricMagic
'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigble (2) Iridium, TricMagic
Heavy Alfred Bombardment Locomotive: (1) Doomblade
Johnstone's Hexahorse (1) Madman

If we're going to do something crazy let's at least be interesting about it. The Hexahorse is definitely interesting.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: June 25, 2020, 05:09:48 pm »

I was thinking of voting for it this turn, but I decided to hold off until the next.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: June 25, 2020, 05:16:57 pm »

So we're not even considering the Walter-Wallace Walker, then? I was actually quite proud of that design. :(

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: June 25, 2020, 05:18:40 pm »

Give it a gun and I might vote for it.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 26