Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19684 times)

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
  • if (ANNOYED_W_FANS==true) { KILL_CHAR(rand()); }
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -3, Design Phase
« Reply #165 on: June 23, 2020, 01:44:48 pm »

Chinese Fingertrap

Safety concerns aside, the main issue with the Fingertrap is the high cost for a standard-issue weapon.  By dropping our standards and outsourcing labor to the Chinese, we can mass-produce a new suspiciously cheap variant of the weapon, now known as the Chinese Fingertrap.  Our Chinese investors assure us that the quality will remain the same, and the weapons will be produced at only a fraction of the cost.

ConscriptFive

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 23, 2020, 01:57:20 pm »

What about shipping and handling?  Should we build a railroad first?  Digging a tunnel downward might count as a shortcut.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 23, 2020, 02:47:02 pm »

Quote from: VoatBoat
Chinese Fingertrap: (1) MoP

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 23, 2020, 03:23:26 pm »

Chinese Fingertrap: (2) MoP, eS

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 23, 2020, 03:30:05 pm »

Finger Trap - Shift Mod: (1) Doomblade
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 23, 2020, 03:45:20 pm »

Finger Trap: Shift mod.

The Shift mod. is a simple improvement to the gun, allowing the rotating barrel to line up at key points every time, effectively solving it's fickle nature with a routine one.

Given the advancements, it makes sense that there would be at least 1 issue. But this issue is easily solved, so that the user doesn't have to stick their fingers into the trap to get it working again. We've also included a switch to stop it's revolution, so no slicing of fingers when you fix it. Just flip the switch again to restart. Added bonus of acting as a safety in the field.

Outta curiosity, did you mean to make it so that the barrel is the rotating segment now and add a leaver to disconnect the pawl rotating it, or...
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: June 23, 2020, 03:55:25 pm »

Finger Trap: Shift mod.

The Shift mod. is a simple improvement to the gun, allowing the rotating barrel to line up at key points every time, effectively solving it's fickle nature with a routine one.

Given the advancements, it makes sense that there would be at least 1 issue. But this issue is easily solved, so that the user doesn't have to stick their fingers into the trap to get it working again. We've also included a switch to stop it's revolution, so no slicing of fingers when you fix it. Just flip the switch again to restart. Added bonus of acting as a safety in the field.

Outta curiosity, did you mean to make it so that the barrel is the rotating segment now and add a leaver to disconnect the pawl rotating it, or...

Changed it to cylinder, what I think is the correct part? If not, tell me.
The switch moves the gun into a locked state over it's next revolution(s). Flipping the switch again removes the lock, letting it spin once more.(is the idea)

The whole finger trap is a result of the thing not working, until you fix it and it inevitably cuts off your finger in the process. You don't stick your fingers in moving parts. Making it so it works and something to allow it to be fixed while it is not going to suddenly start up is a good idea.

Finger Trap - Shift Mod: (2) Doomblade, TricMagic

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: June 23, 2020, 04:04:45 pm »

Well, its the part which is moving and causing problems, so probably.

Oh, damn... Make it cheaper, make it work, make it more powerful, make it fire faster, or making it sharp... I honestly dunno which to choose.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

evictedSaint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: June 23, 2020, 04:16:35 pm »

Oh, damn... Make it cheaper, make it work, make it more powerful, make it fire faster, or making it sharp... I honestly dunno which to choose.

If you don't want our soldiers to have ANY MELEE CAPABILITIES AT ALL then I guess your next best bet is to vote for the name that's also a clever pun.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: June 23, 2020, 04:20:38 pm »

We can just assign them the roto-saber. It is a sharp cylinder of stabby death that does have a handle. (design not included.)

Madman198237

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: June 24, 2020, 12:14:12 am »

Well apparently "Hard" means "above expectations doesn't produce a weapon that even meets expectations for, y'know, a weapon"...ouch. I was really hoping that a black powder revolver of all things would be a suitable weapon for the steampunk/clockwork game but evidently we'll need to do more work on it.

Also we didn't try to "just steal it from the civilian sector", that was a joke about how our civilian sector is effectively in a time period where they *should* have weapons as "complicated" as a revolver (and long before militaries adopted them, revolvers and other repeating rifles were produced) and be able to manufacture them without issue, yet our military is evidently stuck in the Napoleonic era.

On the plus side I guess we have functioning cartridges now, which is definitely good.

"Old Reliable" Imperial Arsenal Revolving Rifle Mark 2
In a marketing effort we've rebranded the "Finger Trap" to make it more appealing to soldiers. We have adjusted the internal mechanism carefully so that the whole system is much more strongly locked together in the internal mechanism. Cocking the hammer manually (effectively allowing you to fire the revolver rifle as a single-action weapon, adding some amount of accuracy to the shot) moves the trigger back to the final stage and moves the next cylinder into the firing position. This more durable lockup of components and addition of a piece of spring steel to add tension makes it impossible for a central cylinder to rest in any incorrect (i.e., unaligned with the barrel) position. The cylinder indexing system is reinforced and reworked to prevent misalignments. Together these improvements should generally remove the chance of the cylinders becoming misaligned while also allowing us to reduce manufacturing tolerances, since the mechanically stronger system doesn't require any unusual amount of precision to operate without error, just a slightly stronger trigger pull.

That was actually really difficult to write without details on how exactly the system is failing to index the cylinder properly. Hopefully this is intelligible, tell me if it's not.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 08:19:05 am by Madman198237 »
We shall make the highest quality of quality quantities of soldiers with quantities of quality.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: June 24, 2020, 12:28:35 am »

Quote from: VoteBoat
Finger Trap - Shift Mod: (2) Doomblade, TricMagic
"Old Reliable" Imperial Arsenal Revolving Rifle Mark 2: (1) Taricus
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: June 24, 2020, 02:06:58 am »

Well apparently "Hard" means "above expectations doesn't produce a weapon that even meets expectations for, y'know, a weapon"...ouch. I was really hoping that a black powder revolver of all things would be a suitable weapon for the steampunk/clockwork game but evidently we'll need to do more work on it.

Also we didn't try to "just steal it from the civilian sector", that was a joke about how our civilian sector is effectively in a time period where they *should* have weapons as "complicated" as a revolver (and long before militaries adopted them, revolvers and other repeating rifles were produced) and be able to manufacture them without issue, yet our military is evidently stuck in the Napoleonic era.
It's not a bad gun at all. Is it perfect? Definitely not. But even with its rate of fire reduced in the user being as safe as possible and manually rotating the cylinder, it's still an extremely competent gun. The civilian sector bit is to playfully point out that this isn't historical fiction; it's just fiction. There's a reason you're in year -3 and not given some specific 18th/19th-century year or anything, after all.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: June 24, 2020, 05:49:21 am »

The Shift Mod and the Old Reliable seem fairly similar. The main differences being that the Old Reliable goes into a bit more detail regarding how things work, and also tries to imply that the gun should become 'substantially' easier to produce as a result of this fix, which seems a tad ambitious. I'd like to see the word 'substantially' replaced with 'somewhat' or 'slightly', and then I'd vote for it.
Long Live United Forenia!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: June 24, 2020, 08:00:14 am »

The Shift Mod and the Old Reliable seem fairly similar. The main differences being that the Old Reliable goes into a bit more detail regarding how things work, and also tries to imply that the gun should become 'substantially' easier to produce as a result of this fix, which seems a tad ambitious. I'd like to see the word 'substantially' replaced with 'somewhat' or 'slightly', and then I'd vote for it.
Same.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 26