Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26

Author Topic: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -1, Internal Affairs Phase  (Read 19633 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Empire, an Arms Race: Year -3, Design Phase
« Reply #105 on: June 12, 2020, 12:21:09 pm »

Anyway, Chiefwaffles, is the steam rifle going to be one of the things that works in this universe because steam power? Because right now what would logically happen is that you fill up your buttstock container full of high-pressure steam, it cools down and a few minutes later condenses into water and reduces its volume by 1600x, removing any semblance of pressure from your rifle and rendering the weapon useless, to say *nothing* of how incredibly stupid it is to hold a container of steam (superheated steam if steam cores are actually anything like a typical steam device) that is AT LEAST 100 degrees Celsius.

I'll give a good amount of leeway on keeping pressurized superheated steam in a non-huge container for over a few minutes, though I will say for free that -- at least for the time being -- you're not going to get a non-negligible amount of mileage from a steam reservoir the size of a gun's stock. Using stored steam as "charge" is a relatively sound concept for the game overall; just don't make a battery then replace "electricity" with "steam".

On a somewhat related note, do remember that the Steam Core isn't required to generate steam and especially isn't needed for anything that can be called steampunk. This isn't directed towards any existing design but I want to make sure it's clear now in case people may get the impression otherwise later on.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: June 12, 2020, 12:25:45 pm »

Quote from: Votebox
'Starlight' Aerial Transport: (6) TricMagic, Taricus, Rockeater, ConscriptFive, SC777, Doomblade
Mark Ia "Theodore" Steam Thrower: (3)  eS, Rockeater, SC777
"Tortoise" Protected Train, Colonial Duty: (7) Madman, ConscriptFive, Twinwolf, MoP, NUKE9.13, Iridium, Kashyyk
Bombardino Steam Rifle: (3) Nemonole, Iridium, Kashyyk
"Finger Trap" Imperial Armory Revolving Rifle: (6) Madman, Doomblade, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, MoP
Steam Powered Belt-Fed Firing Port: (0)

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: June 12, 2020, 12:33:24 pm »

You really gonna fudge votes and leave us getting a useful gun vs semiuseful airship to chance, dude?

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: June 12, 2020, 12:52:04 pm »

The Empire will not collapse in three turns. Or 1 or 5. We can make one another turn.

I really would like an airship in at least one game.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2020, 12:55:37 pm by TricMagic »

Twinwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Probably hanging around Forum Games and Roleplay
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:05 pm »

You seem overly focused on making one for the role an airship is least useful for, though :P
Sigtext!
Of course, Twin is neither man nor woman but an unholy eldritch abomination like every other Bay12er. The difference is they hide it better.
Quote from: Caellath on IRC
<Caellath>: Twinwolf, your thirst for blood has been noted.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: June 12, 2020, 12:57:55 pm »

The Empire will not collapse in three turns. Or 1 or 5. We can make one another turn.

I really would like an airship in at least one game.

You do realize we can do a combat airship next turn, right?
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: June 12, 2020, 01:04:05 pm »

I am resoundly upset with you all, for forcing me to abandon the obviously best rifle idea.

'Starlight' Aerial Transport: (6) TricMagic, Taricus, Rockeater, ConscriptFive, SC777, Doomblade
"Tortoise" Protected Train, Colonial Duty: (7) Madman, ConscriptFive, Twinwolf, MoP, NUKE9.13, Iridium, Kashyyk
Bombardino Steam Rifle: (2) Nemonole, Iridium
"Finger Trap" Imperial Armory Revolving Rifle: (7) Madman, Doomblade, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, MoP, Kashyyk

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: June 12, 2020, 01:10:49 pm »

"Tortoise" Protected Train, Colonial Duty: (8) Madman, ConscriptFive, Twinwolf, MoP, NUKE9.13, Iridium, Kashyyk, AseaHeru
Bombardino Steam Rifle: (2) Nemonole, Iridium
"Finger Trap" Imperial Armory Revolving Rifle: (8) Madman, Doomblade, Taricus, NUKE9.13, Twinwolf, MoP, Kashyyk, Aseaheru
Might as well get into this, theres been enough talk to get me interested in the discord.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: June 12, 2020, 01:11:09 pm »

Indeed I agree that an airship has a place here (it is a steampunk world, it needs airships). However, I wouldn't do it as our first logistic vehicle.
Rather, it could be a high altitude command center with a communication array of light reflectors, or an heavy air dreadnought for bombardment.

But for the next turn, I think I'll propose an heavier than air vehicle: A steam powered devices which used a screw propeller to lift itself in the air, aided by the exhaust jets of steam to keep it steady.
Ideal to carry smaller guns against enemy airships or infantry.

Spoiler:  basically this (click to show/hide)

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: June 12, 2020, 01:22:28 pm »

The point s to have a baiss. As MM said, no helium. Having the basic airship that can carry supplies will make a subsequent design much easier on avoiding a difficulty spike. An airship designed for combat would be heavy and need the various weapons systems one would put on it, while also being capable of staying aloft in the face of enemy fire.

Iris

• Bay Watcher
  • A paradox of love and righteous sin
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: June 12, 2020, 01:35:20 pm »

Here's a combat airship I thought up for next turn. sorry for the terrible proposal

'Victoria' Imperial Combat Dirigible

The pinnacle of Imperial flight engineering, the Victoria is a rigid airship designed for combat. It is filled with hot air produced by a steam boiler on board. The very same boiler drives a propeller shaft, giving the airship a means of propulsion. The boiler is also designed in such a manner that several devices requiring steam may run off of it, in a quite modular fashion. The Victoria carries several rifles in gun ports, and it contains a bay for carrying bombs or perhaps other devices.

The basic idea is that it could function as both a bomber or a carrier, perhaps for small landships or the screw propeller vehicle than Andrea proposed.
Quote from: AseaHeru (on Discord), Monday, June 20, 2022 10:41 PM
I still want the D. The D is love, the D is life. The D is bully.
Rewind, can't keep going
My mind keeps replaying
That night when we dove in
But now I'm sinking

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: June 12, 2020, 01:48:44 pm »

How is a carrier different from a logistics airship?

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: June 12, 2020, 01:51:27 pm »

How is an aircraft carrier different from a cargo ship?

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: June 12, 2020, 01:55:11 pm »

While they might be similar, it would still require at least a design and a revision to have both. Considering that most people (me included) think that a train is better for logistics, is there any need to spend an extra action on making a cargo airship and then converting it, rather than designing it as the way we want directly?

@man of paper: keep in mind that aircrafts need runways, while all the stuff we are proposing doesn't. Plus we start in the air already. A carrier in this situation is simply an airship that can drop its self propelled cargo out of an hatch. Plus, of course, some weapons, stores, mechanics shops. If big enough it might have a different floor plan entirely, but I doubt we will be able to carry enough aircrafts to require significantly different shape from a cargo ship.

Doomblade187

• Bay Watcher
  • Requires music to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: June 12, 2020, 02:09:09 pm »

Nah, we can just do girl genius aircraft. It'll be great.

All my designs from now on will be Girl Genius pretty much.
In any case it would be a battle of critical thinking and I refuse to fight an unarmed individual.
One mustn't stare into the pathos, lest one become Pathos.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 26